Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The guy was probably tired of Jacobs trying to convert him to Mormonism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
For those in the know how have things been going in CU since the departure of their senior game designer?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I get weekly CU updates in my mail, which are always a wall of text with some art drawings... but very little progress I get to experience myself.
I was really hoping for a 2015/2016 release when I backed the Kickstarter in 2012, but I'm afraid it will take another year at least.

So I decided no longer to read or care about the game, and then (hopefully) get pleasantly surprised when it finally does release.

(the thing is also that in the past 4 years my interest in fantasy MMO's has completely evaporated due to all the poo poo that has been released in those years)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Minclark posted:

For those in the know how have things been going in CU since the departure of their senior game designer?

They haven't really gotten nitty gritty in their updates since baring their soul in the lack of beta update, it's hard to tell, but signs point to ehhhhh.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Evernoob posted:

I get weekly CU updates in my mail, which are always a wall of text with some art drawings... but very little progress I get to experience myself.
I was really hoping for a 2015/2016 release when I backed the Kickstarter in 2012, but I'm afraid it will take another year at least.

So I decided no longer to read or care about the game, and then (hopefully) get pleasantly surprised when it finally does release.

(the thing is also that in the past 4 years my interest in fantasy MMO's has completely evaporated due to all the poo poo that has been released in those years)

The emails from both SoTA and Camelot Unchained feel like I have a son I sent to an expensive college and he's trying to justify me not cutting the checks I mail but I keep sending them not because I'm convinced but because I have pity and no other option than have the loving loser live with me again, it's easier to nod my head and go 'one day he might just end up a man after all'

Holo
May 9, 2013

extra stout posted:

The emails from both SoTA and Camelot Unchained feel like I have a son I sent to an expensive college and he's trying to justify me not cutting the checks I mail but I keep sending them not because I'm convinced but because I have pity and no other option than have the loving loser live with me again, it's easier to nod my head and go 'one day he might just end up a man after all'

Basically this.

Also all the things I see being made in CUBE look... a bit poo poo.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Minclark posted:

Put it this way: There isn't enough going on in the last few months with CU to warrant me updating the OP, and the beta is supposedly right around the corner :iiam:

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Oh man. :(
Brian Green is a real cool guy too, used spend my lunch breaks with him.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
^^^ Holy poo poo the word filter works on usernames too?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you guys actually think Mythic is going to fund and produce a fully fledged MMO in TYOOL 2016. Every single game of theirs has died bad. DAOC was only popular because the choice was between DAOC and games that were already 5 years old.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

If you guys actually think Mythic is going to fund and produce a fully fledged MMO in TYOOL 2016. Every single game of theirs has died bad. DAOC was only popular because the choice was between DAOC and games that were already 5 years old.

Does Mythic even exist under EA anymore? I think Broadsword replaced them and it's 10-15 people supporting Ultima Online.

Also this looked pretty cool. Never seen Mythica before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqroz9iSy3A

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 9, 2016

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Does Mythic even exist under EA anymore? I think Broadsword replaced them and it's 10-15 people supporting Ultima Online.

quote:

On May 29, 2014, Electronic Arts announced it would be "closing the EA Mythic location in Fairfax",[2] effectively winding down all the studio's operations. Despite the studio's closure, Dark Age of Camelot will continue to be supported by ex-Mythic staff under a new studio,[3] effectively keeping Mythic's legacy alive.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's since changed, Broadsword is mostly new people with a couple old hands taking care of UO and DAoC. Jeff Whatshisface now works on SWTOR and Paul Whathisface got ousted for reasons that probably include overhyping poo poo unnecessarily. Not that Tenzarin's hateboner for Mythic is any less funny for either of those.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
All new mmos will probably crash and burn

we're all just idiots

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Anoia posted:

All new mmos will probably crash and burn

we're all just idiots

yeah, this year has been tougher than others. MMOs don't even get off the ground anymore.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Minclark posted:

Yesterday's e-mail update was "Next week's update will be huge! (Nope it's not Beta 1)"

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Broadsword now manages DAOC and Ultima Online, they're about 30min away from Fairfax.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Amazed people still play/pay for UO. Same with the fact that it is still getting content updates. Ofc you could run a UO server on a toaster with a DSL connection, so the overhead is likely minimal. I wonder what programming language UO is in. It can't be fun to write updates for it given it is likely written in Cobal or something.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 16, 2016

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ShadowMoo posted:

Amazed people still play/pay for UO. Same with the fact that it is still getting content updates. Ofc you could run a UO server on a toaster with a DSL connection, so the overhead is likely minimal. I wonder what programming language UO is in. It can't be fun to write updates for it given it is likely written in Cobal or something.

So say we all

Orv
May 4, 2011
Camelot Unchained's big news they've been sitting on for months is that they're opening a new office in Seattle for a total of four people. :confuoot:

It's four new programmers so maybe the game will actually enter beta this century but :shrug:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Usenet Magic-User posted:

yeah, this year has been tougher than others. MMOs don't even get off the ground anymore.

the 2009-2014~ era of the new best mmo ever!! being fun for two months before dying is now the new thing to get nostalgic about lmao

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

extra stout posted:

the 2009-2014~ era of the new best mmo ever!! being fun for two months before dying is now the new thing to get nostalgic about lmao

Oh swtor, how fun you were for those three weeks

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
Against my better judgement I decided to become a backer anyway; at least we are closer to launch/beta than star citizen. :bandwagon:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Minclark posted:

at least we are closer to launch/beta than star citizen.

The same could be said of the space elevator. I've found that at no point is it implied 'within this lifetime'.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Oh swtor, how fun you were for those three weeks

I went back to it a bit ago to see it's state and the new stuff is actually pretty neat. Feels more like a Kotor game that has mmo stuff on the side than a mmo though

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

YOTC posted:

I went back to it a bit ago to see it's state and the new stuff is actually pretty neat. Feels more like a Kotor game that has mmo stuff on the side than a mmo though

If you're given an enjoyable product within three years of giving them your money consider me extremely jealous of your decision (this is not trolling, if we don't find something, even negative to post about in this thread before the next actual content update for this game the thread will get knocked into the archives before it releases)

edit

ESTIMATED DELIVERY:
Dec 2015

extra stout fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 22, 2016

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I will say I don't enjoy the new Kotor as an mmo. I enjoy it as a Kotor RPG that happens to have the ability to mmo, which I ignore.

I basically threw up a sub for a month, played the poo poo out of the new story, and dropped the sub. It's episodic though so I'll have to hit it again in a few months when they have enough backlog to justify it.

For reference I did that when they handed you a lvl 60 character for re-subbing.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Minclark posted:

Against my better judgement I decided to become a backer anyway; at least we are closer to launch/beta than star citizen. :bandwagon:

I'm going to laugh my loving rear end off if Star Citizen launches before this or Crowfall.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'm going to laugh my loving rear end off if Star Citizen launches

fixed

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The race to see who actually gets what they paid for.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I didn't pay nothing and already got what I asked

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

They have programmers now so that's good. I play daoc on Uthgard still so I'm biased and drunk but please be good and come out CU.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
For my part I don't care if they only release in 2017, or 2018 for that matter. I just hope I get something nice for the amount I pledged in the kickstarter in.... 2012.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

here is your nice mmo that no one will play

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I was looking at the concept art and some of the races, I'm looking at you st'rm, look like they would be hard to pull off looking good wearing gear like cloaks and weapons etc on the back without clipping or losing a lot of the fine definition and detail they have. Especially when they need to be able to show hundreds of dudes on screen at once.

Jacobs has a history of biting off more than he can chew, it's giving me warhammer flashbacks. but like I said above I'm still playing daoc on a freeshard so he obviously has some lasting good ideas.

I'm glad I stopped kick-starting and preordering things, so I remain hopeful but I'm not getting invested in it until there's a beta I can play.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

YOTC posted:

I will say I don't enjoy the new Kotor as an mmo. I enjoy it as a Kotor RPG that happens to have the ability to mmo, which I ignore.

I basically threw up a sub for a month, played the poo poo out of the new story, and dropped the sub. It's episodic though so I'll have to hit it again in a few months when they have enough backlog to justify it.

For reference I did that when they handed you a lvl 60 character for re-subbing.

This is exactly how I play Elder Scrolls Online. I just treat it as the next elder scrolls after skyrim and it happens to have people and goons in it.

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009
As best I can tell from their Dragoncon presentation their ideas are awesome but won't be ready anytime soon. They added the building system from Landmark minus the digging?

Orv
May 4, 2011
The building system has been in for ages, though it undergoes slow but constant revisions to add things like block physics. Their big holdup right now, as I understand it from barely following lately, is they're still reworking the ability systems.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just learned about this game, got super hyped, then went to negative hype -- all in under 1 hour. Will there ever be another 'good' mmo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

find the thread that alexander delarge does not post in to find the good mmo.

• Locked thread