Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I backed this for 110$ 3 years ago, and I don't care if it takes them 3 more years to deliver as long as they test everything well and deliver enough content to survive much longer than the 30-60 days modern MMO's usually survive without seeing a vast playerbase drop.

People need to realize this is probably our very last chance to ever experience true RvR, with the bonus addition of being able to craft/build our realm like we want it to be (and try to defend it from others).

This being a PvP game at its core is also very important, because balancing a game for both PvP and PVE is something that has never been done successfully before and practically impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evernoob posted:

I backed this for 110$ 3 years ago, and I don't care if it takes them 3 more years to deliver as long as they test everything well and deliver enough content to survive much longer than the 30-60 days modern MMO's usually survive without seeing a vast playerbase drop.

People need to realize this is probably our very last chance to ever experience true RvR, with the bonus addition of being able to craft/build our realm like we want it to be (and try to defend it from others).

This being a PvP game at its core is also very important, because balancing a game for both PvP and PVE is something that has never been done successfully before and practically impossible.

ESO called and it wants to talk to you.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Tenzarin posted:

Them again? Tell them that I'm still not accepting their calls...

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Tenzarin posted:

Last time I checked ESO had PvE content.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Evernoob posted:

Tanreall posted:

Last time I checked ESO had PvE content.

The game failed miserably at balancing. Maybe it got better though? Who knows...I left after a few months.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Evernoob posted:

You registered here 3 years ago. Are you a J4G for a non-existent guild in a non-existent game?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Tenzarin posted:

ESO was garbage and dead in the water from the gate. It's a horrid, horrid game and should not be spoken of.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Kimsemus posted:

Think of CU as the successor to DAoC as far as many good mechanics.

This is a game with many targeted abilities, and some skillshot, similar to GW2, so kind of a hybrid as far as it currently stands. I'm not sure if there will be a GCD in release, if so it will likely be short.

Orv posted:

No GCD, but there are cooldowns across all abilities using the same base. So when you use a shout based ability, all of those go on cooldown.

Interesting, thanks.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

jabro posted:

You registered here 3 years ago. Are you a J4G for a non-existent guild in a non-existent game?

Apparently the kickstarter campaign was in 2013, not 2012 as I thought to remember. So... no.

I played TESO in the beta and the first month of launch, but it totally didn't click with me. The PvP warzone was well done but I absolutely hated the PVE which is strange as I liked Oblivion and Skyrim alot.
I also didn't like the shallow diversity in classes. Maybe it has improved alot since launch and I should give it another go.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
mark jacobs is going to cuck all of you

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Evernoob posted:

People need to realize this is probably our very last chance to ever experience true RvR, with the bonus addition of being able to craft/build our realm like we want it to be (and try to defend it from others

Our last chance? Why? Are we all gona die of aids soon?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Shodai posted:

Our last chance? Why? Are we all gona die of aids soon?

after this game fails, the idea of RvR will expire like a reverse patent

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Also ignore that two other games with that at least one will last beyond this game's release and server close, has RvR combat.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
They're announcing a lot more alpha tests and feature tests. Looks like they are speeding up their development cycle.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
please keep me updated imo

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Eonwe posted:

please keep me updated imo

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
RvR for the RvR Gods.

I have a fantastic need to play some form of elf every 6 months.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think this one may have a chance of happening

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZWQ-pvEPA

Video showing some of the rough model detail and basic melee animations. Really enjoying that sense of realism in movement and positioning instead of more floaty, cartoony style combat.

Apparently the game uses two different animation systems in their models, one that moves the lower body, the other that executes attacks. It means that attacking while advancing in formation with shields up, and moving in fluid combat, will be a thing and will look proper.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does this game have conditional special movie queues like in DAoC?

Like you have an attack that can only activate off a block and anytime attack

Block is bound to 1 and anytime is 2

You press 1 then 2 in-between GCDs

If you block, you get the block only move. If not, the anytime triggers.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Currently no, but currently is pre-alpha as poo poo. They (here being the lead combat designer) have talked about not being sure if conditionals are right for the game, as they'd prefer to go with a baseline interrupt health system, which for the moment remains their plan. But don't let Kimsemus' totally insane excitement at this stage fool you, the game for all intents and purposes doesn't exist right now, it's just engine testing that sort of looks like what the game might be if you squint and take some hard drugs.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
conditionals were great since the servers didnt always run smoothly in pitched RvR. That and /stick with /face made playing laggy possible.

Ability queues were great for laggy casters too so you wouldnt miss any casts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I totally agree, and hope that all this engine work they're doing means it won't be necessary, but it's all so totally up in the air and potentially influenced by testing that :shrug:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Conditionals after defensive actions for mellee were really interesting in both LOTRO and DAoC.
What they *could* do to simplify the controls (MJ did state he did not want his game to exclusive for 14 fingered gamers) is tie additional effect to an anytime skill if used after a block/parry/dodge.
With their "spell crafting" system where players will be able to modify their spells according to their preferences, they may also do such a thing for mellee styles.

Positionals are awesome. Devastating Back and Sidestyles are what made DAoC pvp brilliant. I would be really sad if melee classes would not get any of these.

I don't know what most people prefer though nowadays. Back in the days of DAoC you had like 3 full hotbars of skills you constantly had to use. (A skillchain required you to press all different skills). Nowadays games have evolved into the icon changing into the next when the prerequisite has been met. I am in favor of that system as I like to limit the amount of skill hotkeys I need to use.
6 keys to use in the heat of battle plus a number of non timing critical skills like buffs or skills you rarely use seems like a fine number to me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"You will need more than one hotbar" has been a pretty common refrain from CSE.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I kind of enjoy the strategical decision people have to make with a limited amount of skillslots. (9 in EQ1, I believe it was 8 in GW1) if they let you take any combination of the available spells.
However what I totally dislike is when every "insertclassname" is exactly the same as the one standing next to him. Specialization is awesome. Being a special snowflake rules.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
its great that so many bad games have a not zero chance of existing in 2016. i hope CU is one of them

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kimsemus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZWQ-pvEPA

Video showing some of the rough model detail and basic melee animations. Really enjoying that sense of realism in movement and positioning instead of more floaty, cartoony style combat.

Apparently the game uses two different animation systems in their models, one that moves the lower body, the other that executes attacks. It means that attacking while advancing in formation with shields up, and moving in fluid combat, will be a thing and will look proper.

yah this is the same poo poo rift had and it looks goofy as hell

you will be wildly swinging your arms at nothing and your legs just do what ever cause crazy legs

age of wushu ruined me where an attack moved your entire body and so did defense, like you were actually moving

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Third World Reggin posted:

yah this is the same poo poo rift had and it looks goofy as hell

you will be wildly swinging your arms at nothing and your legs just do what ever cause crazy legs

age of wushu ruined me where an attack moved your entire body and so did defense, like you were actually moving

Indeed. Rift got kind of wonky because of the engine they used, but was still more crisp than a lot of other games.

Evernoob posted:

Conditionals after defensive actions for mellee were really interesting in both LOTRO and DAoC.
What they *could* do to simplify the controls (MJ did state he did not want his game to exclusive for 14 fingered gamers) is tie additional effect to an anytime skill if used after a block/parry/dodge.
With their "spell crafting" system where players will be able to modify their spells according to their preferences, they may also do such a thing for mellee styles.

Positionals are awesome. Devastating Back and Sidestyles are what made DAoC pvp brilliant. I would be really sad if melee classes would not get any of these.

I don't know what most people prefer though nowadays. Back in the days of DAoC you had like 3 full hotbars of skills you constantly had to use. (A skillchain required you to press all different skills). Nowadays games have evolved into the icon changing into the next when the prerequisite has been met. I am in favor of that system as I like to limit the amount of skill hotkeys I need to use.
6 keys to use in the heat of battle plus a number of non timing critical skills like buffs or skills you rarely use seems like a fine number to me.

There has to be a balance. I don't like the simplistic controls of Guild Wars 2, and I don't like the massive button bloat that WoW experienced during the BC expansion.

There has to be a balance. For instance, I play a Warrior now in WoW, I have roughly 1.5 bars of abilities I use regularly, some on CD, some in a rotation for PVP. I have to bind about 12 keys to use them all effectively. This is a good balance to me, as every fight is different, and I have options. It's not too simple to be boring, not too hard that someone can't pick it up.

But one of my favorite things about a warrior was when I had conditional abilities. Warriors used to have an ability called Overpower, which procced whenever someone dodged or parried one of my attacks, and it allowed me to slam them with an off-GCD damage burst that really stirred things up. Some classes have these, but they were a huge amount of unpredictable fun. I'm hoping CU does the same thing, like if a Warrior with a shield blocks an enemy melee attack, it procs a Shield Slam that allows me to stagger an opponent, just to mix things up.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This game is dead, but at least some backers got to play a concept piece. That's more than some kickstarters I guess.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

So did Jacobs snort up the 3.5m or something, what the gently caress happened?

Is it still possible to get a refund if you backed through paypal? Just asking for a friend.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Space Pussy posted:

So did Jacobs snort up the 3.5m or something, what the gently caress happened?

Is it still possible to get a refund if you backed through paypal? Just asking for a friend.

Game is still very much being developed, ignore the trolls.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Evernoob posted:

I kind of enjoy the strategical decision people have to make with a limited amount of skillslots. (9 in EQ1, I believe it was 8 in GW1) if they let you take any combination of the available spells.
However what I totally dislike is when every "insertclassname" is exactly the same as the one standing next to him. Specialization is awesome. Being a special snowflake rules.

I thought GW1 really nailed this. The sheer variety of skills and all the different synergies between them made it so that one build didn't dominate everything always, people would come up an effective build and then a week later people would have a counter to that build and then a week later people had a counter to the counter. Trying out different builds was fun and there was actually a chance that you'd come up with something that hadn't been done before, even years after the game was released. To this day I have no idea why they abandoned that system with GW2

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

Game is still very much being developed, ignore the trolls.

Seriously, if you read their webpage for even 5 minutes you'd see that they have some of the most frequent, and detailed updates that I've seen from pretty much any company out there. For any given week you have a good idea of what they are working on and what the stretch goals are going towards.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

quote:

Folks,

It’s been another busy week, here at the studio. Without further ado or a don’t, let’s go to the highlights.

First, we are in the middle of a bonus round of Friday Night Fights. We have invited all of our Beta 1 Backers to join our Alpha and IT players in an additional weekend of fun and frolic. This round should last at least 24 hours, and maybe the entire weekend! If all goes very well, we are hoping that our Backers will collectively log many thousands of hours in this round. So, if you are a Beta 1, Alpha, or IT Backer, join us for part of this bonus FNF!

Secondly, we continue to make nice progress on the hiring front. More news on this as we move through September. All I will say for now is: so far, so good.

Thirdly, we have continued to cut nicely through our User Stories. Special shout-out to JB, who ended up getting the next important steps in integrating sound and music into our game, way ahead of schedule. Thanks, JB! So, our Alpha/Beta/IT folks can look forward to seeing (actually, hearing) the world sound more alive in the coming days/weeks/months. In terms of all of our User Stories, we added 4 new cards with 32 completes, and added 21 completes to 12 existing cards. In other words, a whole lot of adds!

Existing Cards:

As a Backer, I’d like Camelot Unchained to have ability-based sound effects. – Build sound library – First Pass
First Pass: Modular stat drain based sfx. – Complete

As a Backer, I’d like to see the sun, moons, and stars in the sky, with sky color changes based on time of day and position of those celestial bodies. – Second Pass
Add the second moon – First Pass – Complete

As a Backer, I’d like to see visual improvements to the current Alpha map terrain.
Add new generic items such as boxes, barrels, etc. to center castle.

As a Backer, I’d like to play in a procedurally-created environment. – Second Pass.
Terrain Types: Auto placement trees, rocks, grass. – Complete
Terrain Types: Rules for subdividing into other types. – Complete
Terrain Types: Define format in DB, save and load in editor. – Complete
Terrain Types: Define binary format, provide builders. – Complete
Terrain Types: Apply type effects during subdivision. – Complete

As a Backer, I’d like to test the updated male Frost Giant model.
Model and rig low poly model.
Import and test model parts. – Complete

As a Backer, I’d like to test the updated male Fir Bog model.
Create textures. – Complete

As a developer, I’d like a way to be able to edit gameplay variables on the server, live.
Absolute minimum and maximum movement speed allowed. – Complete
Minimum preparation time for abilities. – Complete

As a Backer, I’d like to see the sky transition from a sunny day to an overcast and rainy day.
Sound can be defined by rainy weather state. – Complete
First pass: ambient rain sound for rainy weather. – Complete

As a Backer, I’d like to be able to create storm abilities.
Fire storm effect. – Complete
Earth storm effect. – Complete

As a Backer, I’d like to see graphical and networking performance improvements, when building and destroying structures.
Research and implement LOD’ing on building structures. – Complete

As a Developer, I’d like to work more closely with members of our Community to create the best possible UI for Camelot Unchained, through the Mod Squad!
Prepare a web conference for the Mod Squad to clearly articulate CSE goals, practices, and procedures to the Mod Squad volunteers. – Complete
Prepare documentation for the Mod Squad to outline goals, practices, and procedures. – Complete

As both a Backer and developer, I’d like to have more dev commands to facilitate testing, and general interactions with the player community.
Admins can auto-cast spells repeatedly. – Complete

New cards with completes:

As a Backer, I’d like to be able to equip and use different types of melee weapon combinations. – Weapon Models
Generic polearm: high poly model. – Complete
Generic dagger: high poly model. – Complete
Generic dagger: material pass with variations for pipeline testing. – Complete
Generic dagger: Low poly model. – Complete
Generic axe: high poly model. – Complete
Generic spear: high poly model. – Complete
Generic staff: high poly model x2. – Complete

As a Backer, I’d like to know about all the smaller enhancements the MOD Squad makes to Camelot Unchained.
Design and implement a Kill Board, hooked to the control game and viewable on the website. – Complete
Add a “Tips” UI element for new users entering Extended Alpha. – Complete

As a Sound Designer, I want to customize ambient audio based on dynamic game parameters.
Ambient environment sounds triggered by time of day. – Complete
First Pass Sound Assets: Generic day and night ambient sound. – Complete
Player death at re-spawn triggers sound event. – Complete
Other players’ deaths triggers sound event. – Complete
Player spawn triggers sound event. – Complete
Other players’ spawn triggers sound event. – Complete
Basic support for audio feedback when taking damage. – Complete
Player projectile cast, flight, and impact trigger sound events. – Complete
Terrain angle triggers sound. – Complete
Ambient environment sounds triggered by changes in the weather. – Complete
First Pass Sound Assets: ambient rain sound for appropriate weather states. – Complete
Player elevation hooked to sound system. – Complete
Player race and Realm hooked to sound system. – Complete
Register additional Wwise plug-ins: McDSP ML1, FutzBox, Wwise Compressor, Stereo Delay, Matrix Reverb, Room Reverb, Parametric EQ, PitchShifter, Soundseed Air, and many more! – Complete

As a German Backer, I’d like to visit the German version of the Camelot Unchained website.
Language selection added to site header. – Complete
Find a group of awesome German-speaking Backers to assist us! – Complete
Primary artwork containing text translated and added. – Complete
Site navigation text translated. – Complete
Foundational Principles translated. – Complete
Primary game information translated – About, Realms, Races, Classes, Banes and Boons, BSC docs. – Complete
Lore translated. – Complete
Stretch Goals translated. – Complete
C.U.B.E. page translated. – Complete

Pretty good numbers, eh? New cards added and lots of completes make for another great push from us. Now for some pretty stuff, as up next we have some new concept art, in-game screenshots, and more.

They make pretty good progress every week like this. Some big, some small. But steady, which is good.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

quote:

As a Backer, I’d like to see the sun, moons, and stars in the sky, with sky color changes based on time of day and position of those celestial bodies. – Second Pass
Add the second moon – First Pass – Complete

Exactly what I was waiting for. I refuse to play games in a world with a single moon.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Oil! posted:

Exactly what I was waiting for. I refuse to play games in a world with a single moon.

THAT'S NO MOON!

:smith: I'll see myself out.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Will there be boats and fishing in this game?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stanley Pain posted:

Will there be boats and fishing in this game?

get out, we dont need that in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Wouldn't be very wise to sail in a Veilstorm would it?

I think for now the Crafters are limited to land structures. But who knows maybe it's a future stretch goal?

• Locked thread