Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
mark jacobs is going to cuck all of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZWQ-pvEPA

Video showing some of the rough model detail and basic melee animations. Really enjoying that sense of realism in movement and positioning instead of more floaty, cartoony style combat.

Apparently the game uses two different animation systems in their models, one that moves the lower body, the other that executes attacks. It means that attacking while advancing in formation with shields up, and moving in fluid combat, will be a thing and will look proper.

yah this is the same poo poo rift had and it looks goofy as hell

you will be wildly swinging your arms at nothing and your legs just do what ever cause crazy legs

age of wushu ruined me where an attack moved your entire body and so did defense, like you were actually moving

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

DAoC was quite good, mechanically, and was one of the few MMOs that got the whole RvR thing mostly correct, and gave guilds a purpose beyond being a social club. DAoC was pretty rough around the edges, and suffered the class fatigue that GW2 is currently dealing with -- some classes are very useful for RvR, but if you're not one of those classes, prepare for a life loneliness.

I think CU is trying to combat that, and we'll see. WAR, incidentally, got classes mostly correct, at least in open world PVP.

this is some rose tinted glasses

it was good for its day since it didn't really have competition

it was horrible mechanically

Guilds could do what, own a keep, upgrade it, lose it at night unless they guarded it for a few days. Unless we are talking old frontiers.

There were a few classes that could debuff their own damage type and those were supreme.

No caps on how many targets aoes could hit was a big problem for a long time.

Rogues and archers being able to one shot something from stealth and stay in stealth.

Thanes literally having a lag hammer. Rune priests were the same for awhile.

30 minute cool downs on abilities that lasted 1-5 minutes or were instant and could be resisted.

The best move most melee had was a taunt or detaunt since it was low stamina usage.

They had to add in AAs to prevent melee trains from just hitting casters and even then they just gave an pbaoe root out but also gave the ability to purge that poo poo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

this was not at all my experience. maybe you played on a lovely server with lovely players.

one of my favorite bugs in the game was holding down screen shot while jumping

if your computer was old enough and the write speed was bad you would just go through the air and you could jump over border keeps this way

also fun things

on the EU version, the game shipped with dev tools so someone spawned legion all over the place from darkness falls

the weird pet elemental class albs had got a realm ability that was like a siege bolt for doors, and could be done beyond sight range. We had someone knock most of the doors down to a relic keep without triggering any guard response since they were so far away.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

you are aging and can't recall time well anymore kazvall

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I enjoyed daoc but they had a good game despite the developers. It had lots of problems and when wow came out, wow really was a vast improvement in game play.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png
it peaked one year after launch and hovered around that for awhile until about 2005

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

that is when wow came out

2003 was trials of atlantis and that is that huge dip.

They had a lot of issues with class design, despite it being neat, some classes were just worthless, some were overpowered, and there were also map design issues. These things carried over into WAR and were still issues then.

If the game was fun, it was by accident with the lead developers making constant decisions that ruined that enjoyment.

Camelot Unchained has a few warning signs like how they wanted to give you the ability to design your own spells and combat skills. They did that once in daoc on the warlock and that was never really balanced. Mark Jacobs isn't a good developer.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It had similar issues to daoc.

Really neat classes, some were very overpowered, not all the classes or cities were out at the start.

They added arenas at every level, made rvr lakes that were split into level brackets. Didn't like being outnumbered in RvR? Go into an arena and make the problem of RvR worse. hosed up the map design and the physical map on these. Split the area into 3 fronts despite there being only 2 teams. So no third team to help balance out the imbalanced numbers.

And when you finally got to the last bracket, you ran into border forts that required you to do pve or later a lot of pvp to get a better tier of armor that had a ward against the instant damage the forts would do to everyone. Otherwise you would just die.

The PvE was also broken constantly.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I really need to stress the ward on armor more for WAR.

There were like 5 wards you could get. Each was a different tier and would work for that tier and everything below it.

Lesser, Greater, Superior, Excelsior, and Supreme.

There were still different tiers of armor, just for an example, the Tier 4 dungeon / rvr armor gave you the lesser ward which did the following "A Lesser Ward effect will reduce damage in High Level City Dungeon and Fortress encounters by 40% (down from 300%) and can stack up to 5 times. It also increases your own damage upwards by 15% (up from 40%) in those encounters and can stack up to 5 times."

The tiers broke down into wards for high level city dungeons and fortresses, lost vale and city invasion PQs, City boss encounters, king fights, and then who knows since the content was cut. Some of these armors could be gained from PvE fights but the dungeons were not all in at launch.

This was never announced before game launch, and was removed down the line and replaced with the sigil system, which was the same thing as the ward system just without the armor.

That is Mark Jacobs. He will make grandiose statements about how great the game will be or can be and gently caress it all up. He will get a few things right, but then try to fix things by breaking them more. And history has shown he hasn't learned any lessons from his bad game design choices.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This is the most fun I had in war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bThwjcEM9rE

We would go make engineer alts and go into the T1 arenas. It would be 11 engineers and 1 really confused bright wizard vrs whatever.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Orv posted:

gently caress offsites forever and gently caress lists until it's playable and fun for more than an hour at a time.

well look who is now off the list

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

kimsemus, this was a sperg test

you have the sperg, you took hyc seriously

please, go read a law book or something

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

GoonTang Clan once again the golden standard of guilds

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

yah in GW2 the goon guilds didn't try to work together

starfleet dental is weird like that yo

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

malhavok posted:

I was mostly thinking about Age of Wushu, but that game was so screwed up i honestly don't know if our efforts worked or not.

it worked there with the help of delamore, koop, and a few other people who moved / organized the poo poo

it also ended with delamore selling the entire goon bank for real money but it isn't as funny as when he tried to sell poo poo for rent, and ending up getting 500 dollars in paint balls instead of money

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Zizi posted:

No, but you appear to be one of those people that make comments without reading the text they're quoting. So good job, I guess. I was one of the people that spent most of their time standing on the bow of a boat, bubbling dorks off of other boats and actually having fun.

Goonunism works fine. In some games. It's absolutely DEVESTATING used against Pubbies in ARK, for instance. But it relies on the people receiving the fruits of everyone's effort actually doing what they promised to. Which sure as hell wasn't what happened in AA-- there were what, at least three separate occasions of "funnel to x" followed by that person loving off to do whatever? And yet leadership got oh-so mad when no one wanted to funnel anymore.

Eonwe and Kimsemus are probably overall correct in their assessments, though I would also add that it ALSO works best when goonunism is about elevating everyone to a base level of being-established/competency/whatever and THEN about pushing forward. AA was the other way around-- they wanted to funnel to people to boost them into really good gear/ships/realestate/whatever with the promise they would then turn around and lift up the lowbies. In contrast, the aforementioned Goonunism in ARK, a few mostly-selfless-and-thankless people poopsock some levels and farm up materials so that when a new level 1 goon arrives in the game, they can pick up a full set of decent gear, hop on a tamed dinosaur, and just go to town, and we have like a half-dozen things they can be doing to help and be useful at any given point in time. that works, not this Archeage-style Trickle-Down Economics bullshit.

I am the capitalization and usage of the word pubbies

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

WoW was such an improvement over EQ1 and DaoC it was amazing.

Health regen
EQ1 - 30 minutes between pulls unless you had a cleric and enchanter for mana regen. This was fixed later on.
DaoC - pulls were pretty consistent. Many healer classes, good sources of mana regen, Without these it was still a minute to five between pulls.
WoW - you can eat food now to get health back just sit the gently caress down

Levels
EQ1 - you could lose exp by death, you could lose levels by death, you had hell levels that took more exp
DaoC - you couldn't lose levels by death, you could return most exp by finding your grave, last 10 levels had half steps to prevent you from losing more than 50% of your level once you hit 50% of your level.
WoW - gently caress you level up every day

Gear
EQ1 - best in slot, mostly raids, took a long time and a lot of drama. Crafting wasn't good even when it was. While leveling you had to do specific things or be hosed. A lot of gear score poo poo and twinks.
DaoC - Crafting still bad. Gear decays over time with use. Can never fully repair. Great gear from raids, good gear from spell crafting.
WoW - Purps purps purps gently caress lets go raiding.

DaoC was a good improvement over EQ1 but WoW came along and did the same thing. A lot of the poo poo from DaoC was just loving awful.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I forgot about stamina regeneration and how only one faction had access to it at the start

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

also a dumb thing from daoc

you had root and snare but against wizards the best thing was debuff strength since they had such low strength and equipment weighed something

no one would let wizards roll on strength gear

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

post post post

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249828843

just lol at green light

also if you want a horrible daoc experience we can all go play this game this week end

http://store.steampowered.com/app/222520/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I recently just saw those and the devout.

The bane and boon is just funny. Can't use metal bane on irish archers.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I keep remembering more and more things about how dated that game was.

While it was neat to finally have a ground targeted aoe, the default way to cast them as to hold F5, wait for a cusor to appear, then use WASD to move it to where you thought you wanted it cast.

This was neat since you could cast things right behind walls using it and very few people got the ability.

Then wow came about and said lol just aim your mouse idiots

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Sure. People seem to think it was great. It wasn't.

You are off so many lists now.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am eagerly waiting to see the maps since GW2 got the right idea but did it wrong, War got the wrong idea and did it wrong, and ESO seems to have the best idea going but will probably gently caress it up with their new expansion.

I am a nerd for good map design and the farther it gets from thidrankii from daoc the worse they tend to be.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

please don't troll tenzarin

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

:agreed:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the bad part about those free characters was the underpopulated realms got the 30s and the over populated realms got the 20s so the battlegrounds were all lopsided.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the game is all druid farts and irish dreams of potatoes

nothing is set in stone so poo poo don't matter yet

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

they had to have their tank pet out, buffs from a druid, a warden help but iirc wasn't needed, and they had to be in a horrible spec to get that enchant buff.

I tried doing the same thing with spiritmasters after they were buffed. Before this buff, midguard had no pbaoe. Then spirit masters got it and got pet buffs like intercept, and that owned.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I love the boon and bane system since it goes like this

irish bane weak to fire
irish boon I dunno elves

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

any guesses on the other classes?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Isn't stealth/assassin already there as scouts.
http://camelotunchained.com/v2/class-reveal-scout/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Orv posted:

Camouflage is a separate mechanic from stealth, which runs off their Veilstorm lore thing and is actual, WoW Rogue stealth. Two classes will have that but have distinct roles and systems.

http://camelotunchained.com/v2/stealth-unchained-our-next-stretch-goal-and-so-much-more-pictures/

Pretty good design read.

quote:

Dark Age of Camelot is regarded by many as having the best stealth system in any MMORPG, and I think that Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning also had an interesting stealth system.
Hahah

He then goes on to list his criteria which the previous two games would not meet easily

his camo idea is just horrible in a video game, not because of balance but because of implementation and I don't expect him to be able to pull this off with his track record

the veil idea is ok though

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Sorry, kinda wanna talk about this camo thing

I got it to work once in a game and it was daoc

at high levels most people tried to use the most rare and expensive dyes, I instead removed my dyes on my blademaster

The effect was I had this gray white armor. It did two things. It made me look like a guard and let me blend into the white trees. I got to scout with it without stealth by hiding behind a tree large enough to hide me and far enough away for name plates to not appear.

There is a lot of things that can make this just not work, like long distance tab targeting, auto selection when using an ability, clicking somewhere, or pretending it will work in an open field. You could do it, but I don't think that he can lead a team who could.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

A wonderful artist could make the camo thing work then it would be ruined by any programmers or animators

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

its warhammer all over again

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Orv posted:

I don't want to defend Mark Jacobs, but they can't really be blamed for that one.

here in this thread orv decides that mark jacobs ceo of mythic entertainment can't be blamed for warhammer online or the sale of warhammer online to electronic arts

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

VeggieSmuggler posted:

How high is the potential to grief in this game?

infinite since they don't have everything finalized

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

flavor of the month op classes never happened in GW2

its been warrior for a long time

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I didn't even notice his join date just his horrible posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

yah

• Locked thread