Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I haven't paid attention to this game for over a year and I heard the beta was delayed. Any idea when it will actually offer something persistent rather than the timed events like the friday night fights they were running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Oil! posted:

Exactly what I was waiting for. I refuse to play games in a world with a single moon.

THAT'S NO MOON!

:smith: I'll see myself out.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Is playtime still limited to just the friday night stuff, or are the servers up more frequently than that? I'm in other betas and alphas, but none of them have really clicked with me and this is the game I am most curious about. Is it worth $60 to jump into right now?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Eonwe posted:

i cant wait for the inevitable goon schism on launch for this game ala planetside

List of inevitable occurrences in every mmo with goons:
- launch schism creates a large goon group and a small goon group
- goons find a guild leader pubbie to focus their anger on
- large and small goon group try to work together, fun is had initially
- large goon group has a schism, over pedos, or stealing or some poo poo
- smaller goon group absorbs members, is disliked by those in the other group
- most goons quit
-fauxtool figures out how to win the whole game and make money while doing it, making everyone else question why we play these stupid games

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Kimsemus posted:

Ah, ArcheAge.

If only that was only the story of Archeage :smith:

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Eonwe posted:

I remember one time when we were in a zone on Indar like maybe Abandoned NS Offices? I think?

GOKU was fighting Buzzcut directly, and GOON pushed up and just started making GBS threads on the TR only from across a ridge

pretty funny

We need to convince crushboss to make some of his awesome videos for this game once/if it goes live. He made goons look 100 times more badass than we actually were.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

A Tartan Tory posted:

Wasn't that on Esamir, when we had an ATRA night to really piss off BCP?

I'd forgotten about ATRA and the effort to convince TR that Vanu and NC were allied against them. The chat messages that spawned were hilarious.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

jabro posted:

All people who are a member of the Something Awful forums are required to be in the same guild at all times. Actually wanting to do your own thing is expressly prohibited.

Lowtax keeps trying to make me join his eve game guild but I don't want to

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Eonwe posted:

Bait and swatch i dont know if you guys had an alt in the main goon guild since I'm pretty sure you were one of them but man, just the fact that you guys had a good time outside of the goon guild made you a goonfucker

We were in the main goon guild until the pedo stuff arose, then we became goonfuckers. Watching the fishing drama from the outside was hilarious, since we were out killing fishers also while using the "something lawlful" tag that made pubbies blame the bigger group.

Also, if you remember when Wicked got really mad that one of the goon officers killed one of their officers and stole a bunch of trade packs, that was us too.

E: it was the defending of the pedos that made us leave. Didn't want it to sound like we were part of the goons who went pirate because they were mad that the pedos got booted.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 24, 2015

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Blazing Zero posted:

even with all the history of splintering and us making fun of it, its going to happen again. god bless you goons, god bless

Of course it will, but we just have to enjoy the ride.

Playing mmos with goons is like sleeping with someone who is great at sex but gives you the clap. Once the burning sensation is gone, you'll go back for more because it's the best you've ever had.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Eonwe posted:

I think it's a good goal, lets say, 3 months after release as a guild. It didn't work in AA because people were being asked to give stuff up for the good of the guild when people were still trying to get the basics together. Once the guild has some gear, etc, then maybe the whole goonionism thing would be pretty sweet. I just remember the haves telling people they needed to contribute more when most people didn't even have a hasla bow

Please post a trigger warning if you are going to bring up hasla tia

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Eonwe posted:

out of all the people there i am easily the least competent and probably least interested

i just like chiming in what I think we should do but not being the one to make the horrible decisions that guild leaders make

lot less pressure

I vote we just constantly rotate leadership to the newest j4g

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Eonwe posted:

Basically I think goonionism should be a thing, but it should be a bit after launch. When there are 100+ goons its easy to say everyone should help, but people are going to resent it because they won't get anything out of it. When you have a stable group of people after the goonrush is over then its a lot more realistic IMO.

This is why Eonwe is #guildleader.

Also, their idea of a class dedicated solely to building/crafting/gathering tickles my inner ore miner. Especially since we will be vikings and they have dwarves.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Blazing Zero posted:

if gathering isnt shittier than it needs to be, ill probably be this guy

Their vision for building/crafting seems pretty good: http://youtu.be/NPQh2Bm3NbE

As always, their ability to execute that vision remains to be seen. Though their CUBE system for building design seems to be the first, and most difficult part, and that seems to be going decently.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Zizi posted:

No, but you appear to be one of those people that make comments without reading the text they're quoting. So good job, I guess. I was one of the people that spent most of their time standing on the bow of a boat, bubbling dorks off of other boats and actually having fun.

Goonunism works fine. In some games. It's absolutely DEVESTATING used against Pubbies in ARK, for instance. But it relies on the people receiving the fruits of everyone's effort actually doing what they promised to. Which sure as hell wasn't what happened in AA-- there were what, at least three separate occasions of "funnel to x" followed by that person loving off to do whatever? And yet leadership got oh-so mad when no one wanted to funnel anymore.

Eonwe and Kimsemus are probably overall correct in their assessments, though I would also add that it ALSO works best when goonunism is about elevating everyone to a base level of being-established/competency/whatever and THEN about pushing forward. AA was the other way around-- they wanted to funnel to people to boost them into really good gear/ships/realestate/whatever with the promise they would then turn around and lift up the lowbies. In contrast, the aforementioned Goonunism in ARK, a few mostly-selfless-and-thankless people poopsock some levels and farm up materials so that when a new level 1 goon arrives in the game, they can pick up a full set of decent gear, hop on a tamed dinosaur, and just go to town, and we have like a half-dozen things they can be doing to help and be useful at any given point in time. that works, not this Archeage-style Trickle-Down Economics bullshit.

In AA, like real life, conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Typical Pubbie posted:

Hopefully they'll have a Darkness Falls equivalent with top-tier resource nodes and no safe zones.

I don't remember if it was said in that video or not, but there will be safe resource areas with standard resources, but higher tier resources will be in the pvp areas to provide added incentive to take and defend land. The safe resource areas are so that no faction can be fully cut off, causing players to quit the server.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Freakazoid_ posted:

I was worried this was going to be that horrible voxelmancy poo poo EQL turn into, but a related video showed a much simpler means of construction.

However, did anyone stop to think players would just make their own crafter alt so they can make their own house instead of pay another person to do it? Like come on, you're not fooling anyone into thinking crafters are going to earn a virtual income.

You don't think players who focus primarily on crafting/gathering in MMOs can pull a profit of in-game spacebux?

Given that there won't be PVE content providing super-powerful gear, I would think focusing on crafting is more viable. It's not that everyone won't have a crafting alt, it's that a subset of players will spend much more time on it than others, resulting in increased production and income from crafting than someone who just has an alt. As the game seems group focused, dedicated crafters will also play a larger role.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
New date for beta to be announced tomorrow on the livestream.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

ruffz posted:

I never got into DAoC because I was playing RYL and WoW back in those days instead. I had heard lots of positive reviews for DAoC, and frankly that's probably the only reason I'm even a little bit interested in this game. I'm still extremely reluctant to buy into any "founder" poo poo after my ArcheAge experience throwing away $150. I'm also still bitter at how Mark Jacobs killed Warhammer Online, so I'm in agreement with the people that have said in this thread that the game feels like a trap. It's something I'll continue to monitor, but it'll have to show a lot of positive signs of being a really different MMO that could succeed before I spend any money whatsoever on it.

That is a wise and prudent course of action. I will probably buy into the beta once more details are available because I am an idiot who fails to learn from my past experiences.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
The beta announcement was rather lacking, given that they implied earlier in the week that there would be an actual date. Instead, they hedged and said sometime in the winter season after running the standard line of not wanting to give a date and have to push it again.

The class reveal was some hybrid healer archetype, seems like a paladin with aoe heals/damage.

E: He dual wields flails, and the arthurian version powers up with beer... or something. I wasn't paying full attention.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 2, 2015

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Here's some screenshots of the terrain (phone posting, so I hope this comes out right). Given the editing tool they described, it is much prettier than I expected:

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Xposting this from the Albion thread, because I think it is an idea that would fit well into CUs crafting scheme:

ThndrShk2k posted:

Too bad this game doesn't mimic RPG mangas and have blacksmith levels and equipment quality that isn't initially visible stats which can be discovered via using the equipment (or leveling an appraisal skill)
If it did, in the end it wouldn't end up "Who has the best price for SWORD 67 that's convenient for me to buy?" like most MMOs.

I just want a fun less homogenized market

I don't have access to the forums, but could someone who does post it (unless the concept has already been brought up)?

I think not having immediately visible stats on purchaseable gear, maybe just display the name/level of the crafter would improve the market. Moving away from the standard market of "pick item I want, scan for best cost/quality" would make the market more engaging amd increase the focus on crafters who spend a lot of time specializing.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Xae posted:

You forgot to have at least one guild splintering drama.

And that a smaller group of goons will stick with a different faction.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Tenzarin posted:

Im going to be a farmer. WE NEED TO DECIDE ON A SERVER NOW!

I cast my vote whichever server is the second option. Let's kill our guild in its infancy and spare ourselves some pain.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Orv posted:

They have just enough finalized that unless they change pretty much everything else this is going to be a glorious two or three months of OP This Week shitshow.

Perhaps their reasoning is that since people will bitch regardless, might as while provide some justification.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Third World Reggin posted:

I didn't even notice his join date just his horrible posting.

Is the monkey the new crying baby / garbage dick picture?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
They need visual cues to show banes so I can flop around like a useless sack of meat while RPing the knight from Monty Python.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Dr.Hashshashin posted:

I played on Andred, then Andred migrated to mordred so I played on mordred till the end.

Mordred was one of the best game experiences I ever had, it was also popular.

It became less popular though when DAOC started to fade and other MMO's came out.

But I agree, Having it be guild vs guild in a FFA environment made the tears taste oh so good.

I'm sure its been brought up on forums, I'm just not a backer as of yet so I figured maybe one of you had some insight.

Oh I was illuminati RR11L5 infil on Mordred :)

For some reason this post really annoyed me and makes me want to hate you. I think it was the last sentence that did it.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Pavlov posted:

Don't get mad about video games.

There is no video game here to be mad at.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Hal_2005 posted:

The game is not to play.

edit: I want to know what goes into the marketing meeting at these failed MMO startups when they are deciding which forums to astroturf. My follow up question being: And how the gently caress Something Awful even makes it into the slide deck.

edit2: this game will be a bigger flaming wreck then Eternal Crusade and Star Citizen for the brutal impact on Mythic's nostalgic fanbois. Hell, the founders of Mythic should sue these scrubs for crapping all over DAOC.

This makes just as much sense as "illuminati RR11L5 infil." Good post.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Dr.Hashshashin posted:

I wish I was as good as you at posting.

Won't take you long, I don't really post anything worth reading. Your mistake was giving a poo poo that I quoted you.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Evernoob posted:

I just spend half an hour in the alpha. Your OP won't need an update anytime soon.

lol. Thanks again to everyone who told me not to buy into the alpha

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Orv posted:

So apparently the crafting reveal will be via livestream on the 22nd, so enjoy watching that, somebody.

I would watch this

But I gotta return some videotapes

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
When are they releasing more info on crafting?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Didn't see this posted yet, so here is the crafting info for anyone who wants it:
http://realmsunchained.com/full-details-on-camelot-unchaineds-crafting-system/

This article from massively has a bit of additional info:
http://massivelyop.com/2015/12/22/camelot-unchaineds-mark-jacobs-on-economy-crafting-and-star-wars-galaxies-inspiration/

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Eonwe posted:

I hope for us to play this bad game and find ways to make people upset

I will play any game with you #guildleader eonwe

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Rexicon1 posted:

Everything about this game screams "We are making wild star for people who played daoc"

Youre telling me one video game is similar to another video game?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Ffycchi posted:

Ok good. That is what I was HOPING to hear. The last news I got was basically "graphics will come secondary to gameplay" Which while something I love to hear, only works if the graphics arent loving commander keen in 2016

They showed a bit of the landscape work during the crafting reveal live stream, and they said they had just started working on it, and their was no optimization of balance passes. We'll see what happens, but if the gameplay is good, I am fine with landscape that is only average. If I want something pretty with poo poo for gameplay there are plenty of other options.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Is it finally time for an mmo in the modern day, only time will tell. Will the mmo of the future be more evolved than the mmo of 10 years past, stay tuned next year to find out more.

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Drinkfist posted:

Don't worry about it. He did something and then undid it. He is just some boring goon with a weak rap sheet. Lets talk about how much of an rear end in a top hat I am.
You're still around? I thought you were probated for 100,000 days or something.

• Locked thread