Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eclogite
Mar 15, 2010
I知 planning for a south to north 4-6 week vacation to Peru, Chile, Argentina, and Bolivia during February and March carrying nothing more than a 65-85 liter backpack. I am a geologist who enjoys the outdoors and natural landscapes so I would like to spend time being able to explore the mountains and deserts on the west side of the continent. Specifically, I would like to spend some time exploring around Tierra Del Fuego, Patagonia, Atacama, Altiplano, Andes, Salars, high elevations, volcano regions, and being able to enjoy the bustling city life when I pass through them.

South America is a massive expanse of land that I can稚 possibly travel on foot or by car easily, therefore I知 looking for particular localities and trips within those regions I can feasibly do with the transportation options such as airplane, train, bus, and boat. I know these countries feature tons of national parks, so I知 trying to figure out which ones I think would be best fit for me, but please share your recommendations. So far I知 going with the obvious destination choices such as Torres del Paine and Salar de Uyuni.

As far as visiting specific localities, places such as the ice fields of Patagonia and Salar de Uyuni are sometimes incredibly difficult to access without hiring specific transportation such as Kodiak boats and SUVs. I see these places are most frequently visited with tour groups so I知 guessing I値l have to travel with one. If that is the case I would prefer to go with a small group, no huge tour buses please! I知 taking a look for small tour groups online because they sometimes offer packages for multiple sites, but these can be expensive. If you have recommendations please share them.

I知 still putting together the budget for this trip, but it痴 looking like around $3-5k US for the duration of the trip once I get there. Is that going to be enough? I知 going to assume the biggest cost is transportation, especially the international plane rides from the west coast of the United States to South America. If you did a similar trip, how did you travel around the countries and how much did you spend on travel costs for the time you were traveling?

As far as gear goes, I need to figure out lodging accommodations and if I need to pack my own tent and sleeping bag to survive this trip. This trip has to be done by cutting costs on lodging so I don稚 mind hostels or camping, but I知 open to stuff that costs up to $50 US/night.

Tell me about your travels, recommendations, things and places to see/do/avoid/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

You're probably going to the best area on the planet for bike touring. Ditch the giant backpack and get a bicycle and panniers. Six weeks is long enough to do Cuzco -> La Paz -> Buenos Aires -> Santiago or whatever.

Eclogite
Mar 15, 2010

Aliquid posted:

You're probably going to the best area on the planet for bike touring. Ditch the giant backpack and get a bicycle and panniers. Six weeks is long enough to do Cuzco -> La Paz -> Buenos Aires -> Santiago or whatever.

I've been looking into bike touring although I've never done it before. If I am doing a bicycle tour of a large area it would be riding from the south to north Japan. With the route you provided it seems like I would be spending a considerable amount of time riding rather than being able to explore, but I'll look into it further.

• Locked thread