Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Greens are actually worse for the environment than even US republicans, at least republicans favor nuclear power. Just look what happened to Germany, low-info leftism shuts off the reactors and now they are polluting more than ever which inevitably leads to more deaths. No thanks. Also I'd rather not be led my morons that think wifi causes cancer and vaccines cause autism. Burn that whole party to the ground and wake me up when there's environmentalists that actually understand science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

That's not fair, there are plenty of Green Party types who don't fit into that anti-intellectual hippie caricature. It's just that even the reasonable people don't seem like they know how to get anything done.

If you think opposing nuclear power is worse than what the Republicans have been doing, then all I can say is you have no idea what the republicans have been doing.

Fun fact, many rightwingers are just as anti-nuclear. Coal, oil, and gas companies are huge Republican donors and the right has bought into the notion that they're "clean enough." The Republicans have controlled Congress for years and the Obama administration has always been fairly neutral on the nuclear issue. If they wanted to invest in new reactors, they certainly could, but they haven't and it certainly isn't because they're afraid to piss off environmentalists.

Also, nuclear power has legitimate dangers (though the meltdown risk for a properly maintained reactor is vanishingly small) and as long as the issue of radioactive waste disposal remains unresolved will always be a lesser evil rather than a unqualified Good Thing. I've never met an environmentalist who supported fossil fuel over nuclear (most are probably holding out for wind/solar/etc.), it's just that sometimes people don't think these things through. What happened in Germany certainly sounds like botched policy, but I still think it's absurd to equate it with utter nonsense like killer wifi.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Duckbag posted:

That's not fair, there are plenty of Green Party types who don't fit into that anti-intellectual hippie caricature. It's just that even the reasonable people don't seem like they know how to get anything done.

If you think opposing nuclear power is worse than what the Republicans have been doing, then all I can say is you have no idea what the republicans have been doing.

Fun fact, many rightwingers are just as anti-nuclear. Coal, oil, and gas companies are huge Republican donors and the right has bought into the notion that they're "clean enough." The Republicans have controlled Congress for years and the Obama administration has always been fairly neutral on the nuclear issue. If they wanted to invest in new reactors, they certainly could, but they haven't and it certainly isn't because they're afraid to piss off environmentalists.

Also, nuclear power has legitimate dangers (though the meltdown risk for a properly maintained reactor is vanishingly small) and as long as the issue of radioactive waste disposal remains unresolved will always be a lesser evil rather than a unqualified Good Thing. I've never met an environmentalist who supported fossil fuel over nuclear (most are probably holding out for wind/solar/etc.), it's just that sometimes people don't think these things through. What happened in Germany certainly sounds like botched policy, but I still think it's absurd to equate it with utter nonsense like killer wifi.

Killer wifi, vaccines causing cancer, anti-nuclear, anti-GMO are all shades of the same thing, and should be mocked and pushed back on until it is out of the political arena.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

No, what I'm saying is one of those things is not like the others.

I support expanding nuclear output, but I still have real reservations about where the uranium comes from and what happens to the waste.

I know many of the gung-ho antinuclear people don't know about those issues and are just freaked about RADIATION but dismissing all criticism of nuclear power as luddite bullshit is a real disservice to those of us who've actually done a little homework.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I don't think anyone, even the most diehard proponents of it, takes the dangers of nuclear power lightly.

New reactors (such as the much-talked-about-but-rarely-built thorium-cycle designs) could recycle almost all waste, the problem is getting them designed, built, and operated in the first place. That part is expensive, a pain in the rear end, and possibly dangerous.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 01:26 on Aug 11, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
With Green parties there's this hosed up mix of techno-fetishism & (non-climate) science policy that hasn't changed since the 70s. Plus the thing where they immediately abandon any pretense of being leftwing once they become 'respectable'.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

a green party guy runnning for judge here advertised himself as being able to teach anybody to play chess in 5 minutes :getin:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

GirlBones posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you op?

own up to the fact that the greens are poo poo

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Nonsense posted:

a green party guy runnning for judge here advertised himself as being able to teach anybody to play chess in 5 minutes :getin:

He's got my fuckin vote, that's for sure

Also why do you elect judges, that seems like a very dumb thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

He's got my fuckin vote, that's for sure

Also why do you elect judges, that seems like a very dumb thing to do

texas is a primitive feral state.

we always elect judges who commit DUI's (Driving under the influence of alcohol) who then issue extreme punitive sentences to DUI offenders.

• Locked thread