Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Duckbag posted:

That's not fair, there are plenty of Green Party types who don't fit into that anti-intellectual hippie caricature. It's just that even the reasonable people don't seem like they know how to get anything done.

If you think opposing nuclear power is worse than what the Republicans have been doing, then all I can say is you have no idea what the republicans have been doing.

Fun fact, many rightwingers are just as anti-nuclear. Coal, oil, and gas companies are huge Republican donors and the right has bought into the notion that they're "clean enough." The Republicans have controlled Congress for years and the Obama administration has always been fairly neutral on the nuclear issue. If they wanted to invest in new reactors, they certainly could, but they haven't and it certainly isn't because they're afraid to piss off environmentalists.

Also, nuclear power has legitimate dangers (though the meltdown risk for a properly maintained reactor is vanishingly small) and as long as the issue of radioactive waste disposal remains unresolved will always be a lesser evil rather than a unqualified Good Thing. I've never met an environmentalist who supported fossil fuel over nuclear (most are probably holding out for wind/solar/etc.), it's just that sometimes people don't think these things through. What happened in Germany certainly sounds like botched policy, but I still think it's absurd to equate it with utter nonsense like killer wifi.

Killer wifi, vaccines causing cancer, anti-nuclear, anti-GMO are all shades of the same thing, and should be mocked and pushed back on until it is out of the political arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread