Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

PurpleXVI posted:

If you were playing on a lower difficulty level, would you possibly have had access to grenades to blow up those stalactites, to access the new weapon and other goodies, by that point?

He might've got some grenade launcher ammo drops by then, but he still needs the actual weapon first, and those locations don't change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The map cursor works as a crosshair if you need to line up long-range rifle/pistol shots.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I never realized Longhunter hung out at the edge of the not-arena while you were fighting the Hummers. I thought he didn't actually spawn until you killed them.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

BMS posted:

Although, the original Turok and it's jump puzzles are the reason why I have NO problem going through any modern FPS/Adventure game jump section. So...

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

BMS posted:

Also....is that the PC version? I'm wanting to say that looking through my nostalgia glasses, the faces weren't THAT poorly done on the N64 version....

The N64's blurryness probably helps the faces if anything.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Pretty sure Quack mode is mocking Quake's janky animation and less-fancy particle effects.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What was the obsession with big head modes around this time in gaming? Most FPS games in particular seem to have this as an option, i guess because 3D technology was new and most programmers had fun messing with values? Why was it usually called DK mode as well? Donkey Kong doesn't have a particularly huge head or anything.

In Goldeneye, DK Mode gave enemies giant heads AND giant arms. It makes sense in motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7MGT6pLpMM

It doesn't make any sense to use it as shorthand for big head mode in other games, but there you go.

e: That video gets loud as gently caress, so heads up.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 4, 2016

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Simply Simon posted:

I admit I only watched half the video, so forgive me if it got mentioned: we know (plenty) how the Infinite Lives Cheat is unlocked in-game (by getting max number of lives). I assume that a good portion of cheats are Nintendo Power/the internet only, but what about the rest? Do you get infinite ammo cheat for having, at one point, all weapons' ammo maxed out?

At the very end of the credits, it gives you a list of cheats, which I think changes depending on the difficulty you beat it on. In the video it listed Spirit Mode, All Weapons, and Inf. Ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Seiren posted:

The saying 'ahead of its time' applies here, but in a bad way. There was a PC port, but I haven't spent enough time with it to really tell you if that fixes those issues or not.

It at least doubles the draw distance and gets rid of the frame rate issues. Having, like, infinite times more ram to work with has its advantages.

• Locked thread