Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Turok was pretty cool back in the day, blowing up dudes and raptors with ridiculous guns was a lot of fun. The janky platforming kind of ruined things for me, though, these games were balls hard even without the risk of falling into a bottomless pit every ten seconds.

I didn't watch the second video yet so apologies if I'm repeating things you've already said, but some of the people from Iguana Entertainment went on to form Retro Studios. I guess there was a reason why playing Metroid Prime reminded me of Turok in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Supersonic Shine posted:

Now I've got about 100 games and 9 consoles. Mario and Turok basically gave the reason I'll never get married.
Only 100 games and nine systems? You still have some hope. Just watch out, before you know it you're buying consolized Neo Geo arcade boards and RGB modded import consoles and god knows what.

Me? I'm a lost cause at this point. :negative:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

To put things in context, my mom banned Power Rangers because she thought it was too violent.
:psyduck:

As for Turok 2, that game actually is pretty drat violent, especially for a 1998 Nintendo 64 game. You get to sever enemies' limbs and heads, blow these huge gaping holes in their chests (you can see the ribs sticking out and everything), and suck their brains out with the cerebral bore. I guess Nintendo allowed it because most of the enemies in that game were these weird vaguely dinosaur-like alien monsters.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Did the original game have your vision clip through walls all the time or is that also an artifact of the emulation?
That's just N64 emulation for you. It's still pretty bad after all these years.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Body Harvest went through such ridiculous development hell that I'm surprised the game ended up being as good as it was. Nintendo Life did a feature on the making of Body Harvest recently, and it's a good read: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/feature_the_making_of_body_harvest

I want a Body Harvest remake with the GTA V engine.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

It's a bit of a shame DMA/Rockstar North is just the Grand Theft Auto developer now, because I'm not a huge fan of modern GTA (2 and 3 are my favorites to this day) and would definitely like to see them try a smaller project more in line with their earlier work. A new Body Harvest or a spiritual successor would be perfect.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

I play way too much Turok as a kid (with cheats, though, because who didn't).
NTHGTHDGDCRTDTRK

That's the master cheat, which I still remember despite not playing this game since 1998. Well, almost remember, because it's supposed to say "on the eighth day God created Turok" without vowels but they wrote "eigth" instead. :downs:

I used that cheat a lot back in the day. The one for Turok 2 is, of course, BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND. I was not good at these games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of old game magazines, the Internet Archive has a bunch of old N64 Magazine issues up and I've been reading some of them. While I generally liked N64 Magazine and those old issues are still fun to read, they certainly weren't above writing ludicrous bullshit:

Yes, the concept of Doom was really improved by a bunch of platforming, a life/checkpoint system and constantly respawning enemies. I'd assume the reviewer has changed his opinion in the last 18 years.

edit: and yes, I know Doom has respawning enemies in Nightmare mode, but that's supposed to be the optional bullshit hard mode

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 5, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I can see how Turok would've made an impression in 1997 because it did have pretty spectacular boss fights and weapons (I definitely thought the graphics looked cool, even though I wasn't a fan of the gameplay itself), and I do suppose the levels being more open than the usual tunnels and mazes you'd see in other FPS games was neat as well. Turok does also have the free 3D aiming, which is definitely an improvement over regular Doom and I think this might be the first console shooter that did it, so that's something.

That said, I don't think Turok: Dinosaur Hunter holds up at all in comparison to the original Doom, and neither does Doom 64 (or even Doom II) for that matter. Turok has more gameplay features, but in this case I don't think more equals better and Doom in all its simplicity is a far more playable game (which is why I thought that review quote was funny). There is a reason why first person shooters rarely do platforming over instadeath pits (even Turok 2 toned down that stuff and is a far better game for it), and when you add in some of the fun "welp I landed on the platform but fell through it because the collision detection is janky" moments and the lives system, it's really an exercise in frustration. As for the enemy respawns, maybe I wouldn't mind them so much if they didn't literally warp into existence next to you.

I'm sure I'd look back on this game more fondly if I hadn't grown up playing Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D on PC. Again, Turok 2 is a massive improvement and I'll probably pick up the PC remaster (I still have my original cart, but I'm not playing anything with the N64 Turok controls ever again), but in my opinion the original was fairly mediocre back then and is borderline unplayable now.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Looking forward to Turok 2. I didn't watch beyond the first few videos of the first game because it all starts to look a bit samey after a while, but 2 should be a lot more interesting.

I recall Nintendo Official Magazine UK trying desperately to sell Turok 2 as the SCARIEST GAME EVER, which I thought was ridiculous even as a kid but I did really enjoy the game itself at the time. I played through that first level countless times.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I always thought those yellow dinosoid enemies were called "Fireborn".

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh god drat it Nintendo Official Magazine UK you lied to me AGAIN

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

NBA Jam and NHL Hitz are owned by EA, and they'd rather make sports simulators than sports games where you can do fun stuff.
They can't make good simulators either (at least hockey ones, which would be the ones I care about). RIP 2K Sports :saddowns:

edit: okay 2K Sports isn't dead and they're still doing their NBA games and WWE stuff, but no more NHL 2K

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 26, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

I desperately want to replay Turok 2/Perfect Dark/Jet Force Gemini with non-lovely controls.
Perfect Dark's Xbox Live Arcade port on the 360 is pretty great, it runs at a steady 60 fps (instead of the 10-15 fps of the N64 version) and has proper controls. It also gave me a bit of motion sickness when I tried to play it, possibly because I wasn't used to Perfect Dark running anywhere near that smoothly.

That same port is on the Rare Replay compilation, which also has a version of Jet Force Gemini with updated controls. The one slight caveat there is the fact you need an Xbox One to play the compilation. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

PSWII60 posted:

I'm gonna guess the XBLA and XBone ports do not have KB+M support sadly.
Certainly not, but a modern dual analog scheme is still a massive improvement over the original controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Rare is an old-school British developer in everything that entails, including filling their games with time-wasting bullshit that is passed off as "replay value" and frustrating difficulty spikes passed off as "challenge". I love some of their games and hate most others in equal measure.

• Locked thread