Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

PSWII60 posted:

The next level I know has what was my favorite weapon in the game at least, I don't remember what else it has.

The Shredder? :getin:

One thing that's struck me, watching these videos, is how much more closed in the game feels than what I remember. In my memory this level is filled vast open-air cityscapes, but the real version seems to be corridor after corridor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Being the first level helps alot. Im sure a significant portion that played the game never beat it but drat if the soundtrack doesnt stick with you

There's that, but Port of Adia is also a really good song. I honestly don't think Death Marches is in the same league.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Zernach posted:

Ahh, the Plasma Rifle. Playing Turok 2 on an emulator and thus having access to mouse aim makes the plasma rifle monsterous.

Wait wait wait. Actual mouse aim? Or just some horrible semi-functional kludge? I was trying to get Perfect Dark working the other week and it was a horrorshow. Might as well have been playing on an actual N64. I desperately want to replay Turok 2/Perfect Dark/Jet Force Gemini with non-lovely controls.

(Night Dive's Turok 1 release is loving joy to play, especially with the FOV cranked up. PSWii60's videos are making me feel claustrophobic by comparison.)

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Also since there is insta-death water in this swampy area as well i wonder if the Death Marshes are actually geographically close to Aracie and the River of Souls. Knowing how the Lost Lands is this big weird bubble of time and space i'm willing to believe it.

Well, I have no idea what the canon is, but the river's a river and the marsh is marsh, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the river flows into or out of the marshes. Actually, if we assume the marshes are upstream of Araissi then the levels so far form a journey upriver- port, city, marshes. But that's almost too reasonable an explanation for a place that's supposed to be as hosed up spatially as the Lost Land.

(I'd like to think they're connected, because the poison in the river comes from the reactor(?) (engines?) in the Primagen's Lightship (is that a spoiler? I can't remember if that's a spoiler at this point), so you have this subtle image of the Primagen's evil radiating outward and corrupting vast swathes of territory).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

Certainly not, but a modern dual analog scheme is still a massive improvement over the original controls.

I've played the XBLA version of PD. It's definitely a step up from the original, but it's still nowhere close to proper M+KB controls. :smith:

JFG might work better on a controller. It's a pity I don't have an xbox any more.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

"And it's Lair of the Blind Ones?! Fuuuuuuuuuuck!"

same tbh

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

You are correct in that I was just talking about it to talk about the comic stuff. I think it's kind of a cool little in-universe explanation. You are also right in that level 3 is really not that bad it does give you enough stuff to keep it varied during a playthrough and the environment design was done well enough that, aside from the repeated long stretches of cave tunnels, the various set-pieces all make the environment feel different and feel like you're progressing. I really don't bear any ill-will towards the lair of the blind ones and if I feel this game has a low point it's the River of Souls.

River of Souls has the triceratops ride, and I like the aesthetic of the place more than is entirely healthy, but it definitely did not hold up as well as my memory wanted to think it would.

Lair of the Blind Ones I dislike because I once managed to get so lost there I ended up abandoning a playthrough. I must have been about ten at the time. :saddowns:

Though if I remember correctly, the next level might actually be worse for navigation :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

The only post-Halo FPS games that I can think of with health pickups are Resistance 3 and Doom 2016. What a concept, eh?

Technically it does, but in practice the motor of DOOM's health economy is aggression/glory kills; the pickup are just a sideline, when they're not totally irrelevant.

I'm not trying to be anal about this- I think it's an important distinction because it makes you approach combat in a completely different way.

• Locked thread