Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
I decided to check the VLP of this game that was mentioned because I missed it in the bad games thread. Hearing the game's voices added a whole new dimension of awful.
After just 1 video, the game's shortcomings made it completely unwatchable. I suppose I should be thankful for small mercies.:unsmith: On the other hand, judging from the playlist the current LP isn't even halfway through the game. :gonk:

On an unrelated note: Danaru, what happened to Grace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Grace proofreads all my bullshit so I don't type like a jackass.

I'm going to be honest, we haven't gotten to the REALLY lovely part of next life yet. We're nearing the edge of the precipice, but it's still a couple updates off.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It gets worse? :psyduck:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ratoslov posted:

The Bohemian rear end in a top hat knows no limits. You haven't seen anything yet.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Ratoslov posted:

I know it's hard to believe but this game gets really stupid.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Ratoslov posted:

It gets so much worse you have no idea.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...

Forgall posted:

I know it's hard to believe but this game gets really stupid.

...gets?? Oh.. oh no. No.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
:magical: I don't want to believe it can, but I do.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
This is magical news. :neckbeard:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This game is amazing, this LP is amazing

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013
All this being some kind of experiment is way dumber than it being pugatory. This game is obviously getting worse and worse... but on the other hand, Maria performing an epileptic victory dance over Simon's corpse is the best thing that happened so far.
I'm kinda disappointed that there are no Polish characters, I must say :(

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Dire Chinchilla posted:

I'm kinda disappointed that there are no Polish characters, I must say :(

Why would you want to see the Polish dragged through the negative stereotyping mud that this game loves to wallow in?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
To get the moral right to mercilessly mock the nefarious vile pepiks and their sad excuse for a videogame industry, obviously.

And wow, this was the sane part? I was sure the game was going to end in an update or two now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tevery Best posted:

To get the moral right to mercilessly mock the nefarious vile pepiks and their sad excuse for a videogame industry, obviously.

And wow, this was the sane part? I was sure the game was going to end in an update or two now.

ARMA >>> Witcher, you drat pšonek.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Operation Flashpoint was good until it became ARMA

Best Czech game ever was Original War, because it had Vlaada working on it

face the facts, sad but true

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tevery Best posted:

Best Czech game ever was Original War

It's Spellcross, actually.

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013

Major_JF posted:

Why would you want to see the Polish dragged through the negative stereotyping mud that this game loves to wallow in?

Because it'd be funny and I'm curious about what they'd come up with? :shobon:

Tevery Best posted:

I was sure the game was going to end in an update or two now.
Yeah, I got the same impression for some reason. Glad that I was wrong, because this LP is amazing.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"
This game gives the impression of a 'solo' tabletop campaign, run by an incompetent and rail-roading GM.
You have to fail first before finding the solutions, because the GM's plan goes 'player finds problem, player tries to solve problem, player is introduced to solutions', and any attempt at sequence break past the middle step will just confuse them.
The train still comes even though you got it to stop because the GM just plain forgot you'd done so.
And the accents and general speech-patterns are terrible because the GM's one of those that insist on giving everyone an accent even though he's terrible at it, and he's also not great at the whole 'talking' thing, being the bad kinda nerd.
It'd explain the 'protagonist' being so casual about murder too; I'm just surprised he's not looting their bodies.

What I'm saying is: Keep going, this is great!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

aerion111 posted:

You have to fail first before finding the solutions, because the GM's plan goes 'player finds problem, player tries to solve problem, player is introduced to solutions', and any attempt at sequence break past the middle step will just confuse them.

This makes very little sense in light of the large number of situations where you have to find the first part of a solution before the problem comes into being. The railroading GM would surely do things the opposite way.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

aerion111 posted:

This game gives the impression of a 'solo' tabletop campaign, run by an incompetent and rail-roading GM.
The train still comes even though you got it to stop because the GM just plain forgot you'd done so.
And the accents and general speech-patterns are terrible because the GM's one of those that insist on giving everyone an accent even though he's terrible at it, and he's also not great at the whole 'talking' thing, being the bad kinda nerd.
It'd explain the 'protagonist' being so casual about murder too; I'm just surprised he's not looting their bodies.

This is called "adventure games"

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Danaru posted:

we haven't gotten to the REALLY lovely part of next life yet. We're nearing the edge of the precipice, but it's still a couple updates off.

What? Why would you say something like that? I'm barely keeping things together as it is! This LP makes me feel really weird inside! I am not at all curious about what happens to Adam or what the goddam deal is with the stupid island, and yet I can't stop reading!

What's going to happen to us if this LP is finished? What's happening to us even now? How did Eva's weird jacket dry her clothes?

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Cathode Raymond posted:

I am not at all curious about what happens to Adam or what the goddam deal is with the stupid island, and yet I can't stop reading!
thislp.txt
(not emptyquote)

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Cathode Raymond posted:

What? Why would you say something like that? I'm barely keeping things together as it is! This LP makes me feel really weird inside! I am not at all curious about what happens to Adam or what the goddam deal is with the stupid island, and yet I can't stop reading!

What's going to happen to us if this LP is finished? What's happening to us even now? How did Eva's weird jacket dry her clothes?

Maybe she has a jacket like that one from Back to the Future 2.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

LucyWanabe posted:

Maybe she has a jacket like that one from Back to the Future 2.

If you told me this was about to become a major plot point, I would believe you.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Knowing this game, I wouldn't be surprised.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
This game is amazing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:Update 8 - :downswords::siren:

First thing's first, let's fill up our pockets. There's a couple items to snag in here. First up is the lightbulb in this lamp.

"If it's under power, I'll get it real nasty..."

Well if it was under power, it would probably be lit.

Somehow Adam manages to get the bulb without getting electrocuted. Hooray! Also that's not how lamps work, Adam.

Next up is this rag on this table.

"Nobody will miss a silly piece of rag."

We don't have to go super far with this, actually.

There's a small pipe leaking overhead making a tiny puddle on the floor. Let's drop the rag on it.

"Great... Now I can even get a rest, this is going to take forever."

Unlike most things, this will make sense soon enough.

We can also snag this pipe on the ground. This will be another update that makes me wish I was playing Silent Hill instead. :(

Outside of the room we have this area. Most of the things you can interact with just have Adam say something along the lines of "ehh I don't have time for this", so we'll just go right for the door.

The door's lovely and dirty, but if we right click, we can zoom in a bit.

...Unfortunately it's still lovely and dirty, so we can't see in.

If we head back into the previous room, we can see that our rag is wet now!

Riveting.

"Oh... So it actually is glass after all!"

The more the thread mentions the russian translation that sounds like it actually had voice direction makes me sad. This could have been a pretty mediocre game, and Adam could have at least been a likable sociopath.

Oh poo poo, someone's inside that room! The door is locked from the outside, so what do we do?

Clang our pipe on the door repeatedly, obviously! If whoever's in that room wasn't deaf before, they will be now!

"Stop! Enough! Stop it!!!"

Oh dang it was Edwin in the room. By the way, buckle up because this is the most talkingest chapter ever.

"Edwin?! This can't be true... What on earth are you doing here?"
"What do you want from me?"
"Sorry, Edwin, I didn't mean to scare you. It's me, Adam!"
"Oh right... You expect me to believe that? Why don't you get lost and leave me alone?"

Uhhhh what

"Calm down, Edwin. I don't understand how we both got here, either."
"Whatever, man. I'm not going to listen to you."
"I'll come back later. Try to think it over in the meantime."

So yeah, Edwin is acting a bit odd. This probably won't come up later.

Down the hall is this door to the morgue, interesting that the door is labeled considering the only thing on this side of the morgue is a hall with two... cells? Storage rooms?

Oh yeah, door's locked of course, so let's see if Edwin's done thinking it over.

"Give me a single reason why I should trust you."
"At least tell me if you're OK."
"No! I'm not OK at all! I can't see squat because it's dark in here! I can't even see where I am! And there's spiders crawling on me and other bloody insects! Goddamn darkness!"
"Calm down. I'll try to do something about it."
"Leave me alone, will you? I didn't ask for your help and I'm not going to!"
"Come on Edwin. It's still going to be a lot of struggle with you."

I can see why Edwin's so pissed off, but he's also actively working against the only person who can help him get out.

"There's nothing I can do about the light. The switch must be broken or something."

You can actually try the switch and it doesn't work. I forgot to, so Adam just looks like a dick here.

"How low of you to keep me in the darkness like this, you jerk! So what is it you're expecting? You think I'm gonna crap my pants?"
"Why would I do that? Edwin, you'd better take a look at the light bulb. Check if there's something wrong with it."
"Nothing... It's not here at all."
"What? You mean there's no light bulb?"
"You want me to write it out or what?"
"Man, I'm getting sick of you."
"Did you say something?"
"Yeah, but I can write it out for you."

See? He's trying so hard to be sassy, but his voice actor just won't let him. In any case, the answer here is obvious, we have a light bulb, he needs a light bulb, and...

...Alright, apparently we're having a pointless meandering conversation first.

"Sure I do... Adam... You don't just forget that creepy island."
"Yeah, right... Let me tell you what. I'm glad you're here with me."

:unsmith: Edwin really is the person I'd trust most to have our back.

"Well I am not."

:smith:

"Ok, I don't want to argue, I'll just tell you something. I don't know how it is with you, but I came to realize I want to get back. Back to our miserable island where I can be pretty sure I'm alive."

You know despite naming the game Next Life, Izmael's ranting is really the only time they even pretended this was actually the afterlife, isn't it? Maybe that's why they changed the name from the much more accurate Reprobates.

"Let me put it this way. I've survived worse things. And I'll survive from you and this place too."
"We can at least be partners in this..."
"Forget about that. You're only holding me back, Adam. You're useless."

:dealwithit:

"Think, Edwin. Why is it that we're both here? There must be a reason. I'm not saying I know what this is about, but for starters I suggest we cooperate. What else do you want to do?"
"Whatever really as long so it doesn't involve you. See, I've been thinking too, and I've come to realize you don't really exist. You're just an illusion. a part of another nightmare. And I'm really curious what you'll have to say to this one, smart guy."
"Oh my, this is getting nowhere. I've only been losing time with you. But that's over now. Bye!"
"Wait! Where are you going?"
"I can't go on like this, Edwin! I'm just a man too. And I don't care if you believe it or not. Do whatever you like... I'm going now!"

Jesus christ just take the loving light bulb already

"Adam! How can I tell this isn't a trap. Come on, how?"
"Well, what do you expect me to say? That's something you have to solve for yourself. All I know is we're playing the very same game."
"So what are you suggesting?"
"Heh, isn't it hilarious how fast you're changing opinions, Edwin?"

gently caress you, Adam.

"Well I don't have to tell you I too want to go back, right? And I'm going to do whatever it takes."
"So you're starting to like this little game of ours, eh?"
"Fat chance."
"But you're going to cooperate?"
"If there's no other way... Perhaps it's better than fighting."
"Exactly my thoughts."

Holy gently caress FINALLY.

"Edwin, I just want to talk."
"Too bad it happens to be me who has to listen..."

This is the first time in the game that this exchange wouldn't make sense. God dammit Edwin he's trying to help you.

"So would you have any use for something like this?"
"You're joking? Give it to me, now."
"And how do you imagine I do that, eh?"
"I don't know. It's me who's trapped. You think of something. And hurry up."
"Oh so it's news to you we're both trapped in here? Can you take down the venting window on your side?"
"Yeah, you got it. I hate dark corners."
"Ok, you hero, how about you tell me how I'm supposed to get that bulb to you? Through the keyhole, perhaps? Or should I assume you don't want it?"
"No, No! Wait... I'll try it, I'm just not sure if it's possible."
"Push something to the wall, it's not too high."

"Well what do you think? I've removed the first grate, but the other one is out of my reach."
"Never mind, I'll take care of that somehow. Thanks."

Kablam! We actually get to FINALLY DO SOMETHING as Adam smokes the drat thing with a pipe. I wasn't kidding when I said this update was heavy on the dialogue.

In a bizarre choice, you have to try to throw the lightbulb through the vent and have Adam say "BOY THAT'S DUMB" before the game will let you plot something with Edwin. Adam will refuse to talk to Edwin until you do the obviously wrong thing. This is getting old, Future Games.

"Uh, we have a problem."
"Here it comes... I knew it. So what is it? Gas? water? fire?"

Earth? Solid? Liquid? Solidus?

"I can't just throw the bulb through the vent, I've only got one. I don't want to risk breaking it."
"Hmm... Right... Hold on, I'll try something. I'm holding the other end. Tie the bulb to the string and that's it."
"Good idea, Edwin. I would not have thought of that."

Adam is really broken up over not thinking of the string idea first.

"Ok, Edwin, now!"
"Right!"

Whoo! We accomplished something!

"Listen... Where did you get that string? Was it just lying around somewhere?"
"Err, why?"
"Oh never mind. It just seemed strange to me. I'm not sure... I wouldn't expect you to be able to find something like that. And in complete darkness, no less."
"No, no... I've had around my neck it all the time. From the very start."

It took me three times to type that mangled-rear end sentence 'correctly'. Did you hit your head, Edwin?

"I tell you this even though I don't have to... I trust you, Adam."
"Wait a minute... How do you mean, around your neck?"
"There was a key hanging on it..."

:effort:

"A key? And you're only telling me now?!"
"What do you want from me, Adam? You know very well how things were. I didn't have the tiniest reason to trust you. I tried to unlock the door myself, but the key wouldn't fit."
"And didn't it occur to you that there might be other locked doors around here?"
"Well, you never told me..."

Has there ever been an adventure game that has a key that goes to nowhere? That doesn't happen here, but it feels like something Future Games would do, whether through malice or incompetence.

"So I'm telling you now! Throw me the key through the vent."
"First you have to promise you won't leave me here."
"I'll do everything to get you out. I promise. Thanks Edwin."
"If you try to leave me here, Adam, I promise I'll kill you. And I'm serious."

I wasn't going to, but I'm starting to consider it now.

Edwin's key opens up the morgue, allowing us to finally get out of this drat hallway.

"It fits! And Edwin had it with him all the time..."

"Maybe I should go back and secure the door just to make sure. And get an oak stake and a silver cross... What a hero I am!"

Adam for the love of god this chapter is chatty enough.

Not much to explore in here, if you try to interact with either of the two bodies, Adam just says it's icky and refuses. That's... fair, actually.

Again this would be spooky as gently caress if this were a better game, or if there had been any sense of urgency, or if there was an antagonist.

Nothing to poke around with in the autopsy room, but there's a couple things in this office. The door on the left is locked, meaning this is as far as we go for now. Most importantly:

A key!

"I find this whole thing rather suspicious, but it wouldn't be smart to just leave it here, either."

Back to this hallway. :sigh: Let's get Edwin out of there. He's not a wuss so maybe he can boot that flimsy wood and glass door down.

"All right, come out, Edwin. I told you I'd be back."
"Well, you had no other choice. You can't fool me, man. You need me."

Are you going to spend this entire chapter being Tenmyouji and betraying me for no loving reason.

yes

"But I do, it's not like I can even go to the toilet by myself."

This line is loving hilarious with our 100% sincere, sarcasm-deprived voice actor.

"I didn't ask you for anything. Do you even know where we are?"
"Pathology. I've seen freezers and a dissecting room, but there's also some locked doors."

Well, A locked door.

"So you want me to believe you wouldn't escape if there was a way to do it?"
"What the hell is wrong with you?!"
"Just show me where the doors are, will you? We're only losing time."

Once Edwin wastes our time, then whines that Adam wasted his time, we FINALLY head off to the door.

It's fairly noticable once in a while, but I swear most of these backgrounds are just a 2D screenshot with the characters' models put on top of it. It's bizarre.

"So what do you suggest we do?"
"We'll have to break it open."
"Let's not hurry with that. I'll tell you what... I'll have a look at this lock while you try to look for the key. We can't go wrong that way, can we?"
"Ok, fine, but I doubt we'll be able to open it without force. Later."

We have a pipe, just smash that poo poo open and let's go. Why would a door lock from the outside anyway. :sigh:

Edwin will stand around loving with the lock forever, so we have to go search for the key.

Or that's what a sensible person would assume. In actuality we need to examine these two body bags that Adam didn't have the balls to examine before.

The first body bag contains, surprisingly, a body as well as a goofy subtitle. No one we know at least.

"Ok, ok... There's nothing to be afraid of."

The other body bag has a body in it as well. Again, no one we know.

Suddenly, there's a noise in the other room. Sounds like a door opening and closing.

Hey! Edwin got the door open somehow! Let's get the hell out of here!

Or whoops, guess Edwin's betraying us again. God dammit man you suck.

Adam tries smashing the window to no avail, something he should have tried way sooner.

"Talk to me, Edwin."
"I have nothing to say to you."
"But I do! Where did you get that key? I've search everything around here..."
"Heh... Look, Adam, my problem was not finding the key... but making you leave the room. If you still don't get it, I've had the key on me from the very beginning. Along with the first one that I gave you."
"And I, fool, fell for your trick... But still, how did you know which one to give me? You could have made a mistake."

How is that the question you're asking right now?!

"Well I couldn't. There's a label on the other one that reads 'dissecting room'. First I had you explore the terrain. I knew you couldn't escape. When everything was OK and you kindly opened the door for me, I knew exactly what I had to do to get out of here. Come on, Adam, admit you'd have done the very same in my place."
"Forget it! I'd have to be a rat of your magnitude!"

Adam has done a lot of stupid bullshit in this game so far, but no I don't think he would trap himself inside a building solely to spite the closest thing he has to a friend.

He hasn't mentioned it yet, but yes Edwin is still stuck. There's a reason he's hanging around here gloating aside from suddenly becoming an enormous dickbag.

I actually went over the character limit so I'm cutting out about ten minutes worth of "WHY YOU BETRAY ME" "DUHH I'M EDWEN". You're welcome.

Also the phone in the office area starts ringing.

"The phone is ringing..."
"What?"
"You can hear it, can't you?"
"Sure I can. You gonna answer it?"
"I don't know, should I?"

STOP BANTERING AND loving DO SOMETHING

"That's your choice. I suppose you don't expect me to do it?"
"Wait here. I'll be right back."

Alright we're in a different room now. That's a start.

"Hello. Who am I talking to, please?"

On the other end of the line is a woman who's voice we've never heard before. She seems significantly friendlier than anyone else we've dealt with in a nightmare.

"Err, hello. This is Adam Raichl. And may I know who you are?"
"That doesn't matter, Adam, believe me. Is that nice fella Edwin still around?"

No, but the rear end in a top hat Edwin is.

"But sure, he's here. I's just... Right now we've got a problem to solve."
"Could you get him on the line for me please? It's really urgent."
"Well, you see, if I could tell him who's calling, it might be easier."
"Hahaha... Please, Adam, do me a favor and call him."
"I guess."
"I won't mind having to wait for a while."
"Ok, I'll try, but I can't promise anything."
"I know I can rely on you, Adam."

Alright so let's quickly hand the phone to Edwin and we can get on wi-- yeah no just kidding we're heading into MORE meandering dialogue.

Literally. You will not believe this.

"I warn you, don't you try to trick me!"
"Oh, come on... You have any idea who it is? Some woman."
"Yeah, right."
"Well guess what, she wants you on the phone."
"What?! Stop pulling my leg, Adam!"
"I swear I'm not. I have no idea what's going on. Look, I'll go back and hang up if you want me to. Then we can talk some more and maybe she calls back."
"I'd expect more from you."
"Well, I'm sorry to have to let you down on this one, but even I couldn't come up with such nonsense."

Seriously, when the characters in your game are talking about how dumb your game is, just start over.

"What the hell is all this about then?"
"Like I said, there's a woman on the phone who wants to talk to you. I have no idea who she is. Should I hang up?"
"No, hold on... Don't you find it strange?"
"Of course, I'd like to know what's going on, too. Will you take it?"

What's killing me is that none of this dialogue contributes anything. It's just these two idiots bantering at each other. The plot isn't advancing, characters aren't developing, progress isn't being made. This is the most difficult chapter to transcribe so far just because of how drat bored I get.

"Yeah, but not so fast, You still have that lead pipe on you? The one you were banging on the door with before?"
"Well, yeah."
"Ok, put it on the table first and step back to that wall there. Just so I can be sure."
"Ok, if that's what you want. I'm not your enemy, Edwin."

I'll be honest, at this point I'd be saying "gently caress Edwin" and give him something to be paranoid about. Adam isn't quite astute enough to notice that Edwin will continue betraying him.

In any case, we put the pipe on the desk since there's no option to tell the phone lady to gargle our sweet and salty nards, or to hang up and call 911 since the phone clearly works. Part of me wishes I kept a "need to fail to progress the game" counter, another part of me is glad I didn't. We'd have multiple per update.

Now pay careful attention to Edwin's command here.

Adam clearly moves over to the left wall as per Edwin's command, but to Adam it was to the right, and to Edwin, it's straight ahead. The only person who sees that as 'moving left' is us.

Look I'm looking for poo poo to comment on as hard as I can, alright. It's like squeezing juice out of a raisin.

"Don't turn around... I can see everything!"

Edwin picks up the phone just out of camera shot, saving the animators a couple bucks and giving us even less to actually take in.

"Yes. I'd like to know to whom I'm talking... No, no, that's-- What do you mean? That doesn't make any sense! I'm not going to believe that! Hello? Hello?"

Edwin hangs up. We're never going to find out who was on the other line by the way, although we WILL find out what they told Edwin.

"Stay where you are and don't move! You heard me?"

Edwin fucks off into the morgue. He told us to stay here, but gently caress him. He's not our dad :colbert:

Alright Edwin I don't know what you're doing, but don't gently caress with bodies, that's an easy way to get your rear end haun--

OH poo poo

Adam gets knocked the gently caress out by a yachtsman with his own drat pipe. Maybe the pieces will start connecting now, jackass.

Welp, good job idiot. You managed to die in your own stupid nightmare. I've had plenty of nightmares involving me dying but at least mine usually involve space.

Oh, he's still alive. Nevermind.

"What was that supposed to mean?"

Seriously?!

"Where is my stuff? Edwin! I'll kill you..."

In actuality, the only thing Edwin stole was the key to the storage room he was locked in. We still have the damp rag, thank god.

Adam is referring to the blood trail on the floor. The bodies of those two ladies are gone too.

I... don't... understand why, but when I clicked the window, Adam walked as far away from the window as he possibly could before giving his dialogue as if he was peering into the room. In any case, Edwin for some reason moved those two bodies into this room and locked the door.

"As though he didn't want me to see them. But anyway, that doesn't mean he knew them both... It must have been a bad shock for him. The last drop..."

Suddenly the phone rings again. That went super well last time, let's give it another shot!

"Strange... I can hear a phone ringing again..."

We head through the same god drat screens again to get t the phone. There are a total of 8 screens in this chapter, we only saw one at the very beginning, and we won't see the last four until near the end.

He's probably fine.

"Is anybody there?!"
"You bet there is!"
"Edwin! What was that supposed to mean? Have you gone nuts or what?"
"Shut up! And now listen very carefully, you bastard, you drat sone of a bitch... Why... Tell me what they've done to you... What I've done to you... You creep!"

That... last insult felt a bit weak there, Edwin. Come on man.

"I have no idea what you're talking about --"
"Will you shut up! You'll regret ever touching me, I swear!"

"I swear on the graves of my wife and my little girl..."

...oh poo poo

"I swear I'll get you, you bastard! You hear me?! I'll get you! I'll chop off both your arms and legs and enjoy watching you crawling on the floor just like you enjoyed looking at my family!!!"
"What? What the hell are you saying?"
"You killed them, Adam! Right in front of my eyes! I'll kill you, Adam, I'll kill you I swear, you god drat bastard! I'm coming for you and you have nowhere to run, so wait for your death... You're gonna pay... MURDERER!!!"
"Edwin, you silly fool, what the hell are you talking about?! Edwin! Edwin!!"

"It can't be true... Those two women... Edwin's wife and daughter... What on earth makes him think it was me who killed them? This is complete madness! Except maybe that woman on the phone... But how is that going to help me now? I need to think of something before he returns. I reckon it will take a minute or two. Why has everything gone down the drain so suddenly? Where did I go wrong?"

Despite what Adam said, we don't actually have a time limit here, which is fortunate because Adam would have used it all up with that wall of text.

Our goal now is to find a way to stop Edwin. Maybe we should close those blinds so he can't see in.

...Er

Nevermind.

"Edwin... What are you after, you poor creep?"

I think he pretty succinctly wrote out his intentions on the blinds. Where'd he get the blood, anyway?

Actually, let's take a good look at what exactly Edwin's plan has been up until now.

Here's a quick map of the area. After smacking Adam, the alleged murderer of his wife and daughter, Edwin:

-Moved Adam onto the autopsy slab
-Moved the two bodies from the morgue into the storage room he was stuck in, without using the gurneys they were on by the way. Look at that blood stain again.
-Passed by the unconscious Adam and wrote "I KILL YOU" on the blinds with blood, maybe from that bucket of blood by the slab
-Went through the locked hallway and waited for Adam to wake up so he could call him and tell him he was coming to kill him.

Edwin, what the gently caress.

Well we have a madman coming to kill us, let's take a break and read a book.

"Something about muscle spasms... It's not like this is going to save the day, but maybe I'll come across some interesting detail... Muscle spasms can be induced even post mortem with electric current introduced into a center of nerve endings. e.g. in the oxter... How about I prepare a little surprise for Edwin."

So hey who's up for a spot of corpse desecration?

Fortunately we have spare corpses. Also fortunately Edwin didn't take those gurneys, otherwise we'd be SOL.

The corpse counts as an out of inventory item :v:

Adam will automatically drag the body to where the game wants it to be. I'm also cutting out Adam speaking two or three lines in order to kind of preserve what intensity this segment had. You're welcome, Future Games.

Well we've got the corpse, but now what? We need to find a way to induce the electric shock.

There's a scalpel in the office, rather than in the operating room, because sure. We could stab Edwin with it I guess, but it's got a tiny range and we know Edwin's packing at the minimum our lead pipe.

Instead, we'll use the scalpel on this lamp plugged into the wall. That sounds smart!

I'm pretty loving sure that's not how that works. Cutting a cable plugged into the wall with a solid metal instrument would kill the poo poo out of you.

But of course not here. Good job Future Games.

Alright so we have a cut cable that's only live when the plot needs it, and a corpse. What now?

Start cuttin'!

"It would never have occurred to me that I'd be cutting up a corpse..."

The 'oxter' mentioned in that book is the armpit by the way. In any case, the power cable we cut is an out of inventory item that we can plug into this dude's pit.

"This should work all right, but if it will get Edwin to do anything I have no idea."

This took like, five minutes, and four minutes was just Adam talking to himself.

"He's here... I didn't even have the time to try it out..."

I have no idea where Adam's supposed to be in this segment, but Edwin starts skulking in from the hallway.

I left those as screenshots because what

also the corpse hasn't spasmed yet, not that he was looking at it anyway, so I have no idea what that scream was about.

After meandering around for a bit, Edwin wanders over by the corpse, and Adam... somehow makes the wire shock the corpse.

Edwin shimmies backwards like someone who's pants just became full and bolts in a dead sprint away. gently caress yeah, biology!

"Whew, that was close... That drat fool!"

Better yet, he left the door open! We can FINALLY see something else!

...Whoooooo

This gate is padlocked shut, and the bottom area where the camera is located is just a solid wall, leaving only one other way out. Clearly this is where Edwin must have gone to, since the only other exit is locked. Unfortunately it's the only place we can go.

For some reason the game makes a big deal about the door being heavy.

Just click it again and Adam will put some muscle into it.

Well, Edwin's not hear, meaning he's apparently been so spooked that he stopped existing. He REALLY hated that corpse trick.

Unlike that hallway, there's actually things to get in here. We find a pack of matches in the drawer here...

...and 'Dissecting tools' over here!

Oh wait we have a crazy dude chasing us, maybe we should secure the room.

They love this subtitle.

Also of note, the drawer hurls across the room after like three pushes that do nothing.

Immediately, as if we had to bar the door to progress the game, Edwin shows up and starts screaming.

"I won't let you trick me for the second time! I know you're there, Adam! Open up!"

Edwin puts a barely noticable dent in the door as Adam laments his position. There... might be a time limit here? It takes Edwin like two minutes to swing each time. I'm not willing to wait that long.

"After all this trouble and madness, it's Edwin who brings me down..."

That IS pretty lame, dude.

"No way! I'm no sheep! I'm no going to sit around waiting until they kill me! The door must hold! It just has to!"

Edwin hitting the door knocked this photo off the wall. Let's take a look.

Hey look! Another door!

According to this picture, that other door should be right behind this cabinet, let's move the fucker over and get the hell out of here!

Or... actually Adam just tries to open the cabinet. Adam please.

Adam REFUSES to connect the dots unless you use the photo ON the cabinet. This shouldn't even be a drat puzzle.

You can do it Adam. Don't worry, we have all the time in the world to just sit here while you stare at a photo.

"According to the photograph this is exactly where the entrance is. It's probably been walled up."

Wow! Good job Adam! Why didn't I think of that?!

Adam give's it the ol' Raichl Push.

Which... somehow pivots the cabinet. I dunno. More importantly, there are boards nailed across the entrance. I work at a hospital and let me tell you, one thing they LOVE doing is just wasting rooms by boarding them up and letting them rot.

We use the... what the gently caress IS that? The game just calls it a dissecting tool but apparently it rips through planks just fine.

We get a fade to black and fade back into this. The board's are removed and strewn about everywhere. Sure is a nice one.

Whatever reason they had to board up this room, they didn't even bother to remove the equipment. The one thing I'm curious about in this chapter and they won't be explaining it.

There's a lamp here which would provide some much needed light, but it has no wick. Of course not. :cripes:

There's an old lovely rope hanging over here which we take because beggars can't be choosers.

We can cut it down with the scalpel, but we can also use the scalpel on the rope in the inventory to create a wick!

"Let's just hope it fits in there..."

Pretty sure that's not how that works, but I've already pointed that out too much this chapter.

Use the matches on the lamp and we can finally see THAT THEY LEFT A BODY IN HERE WHEN THEY BOARDED UP THE ROOM WHAT

the gently caress

Adam refuses to acknowledge them so okay whatever I guess. What we want to do now is clean up this mess Adam made cutting up the boards.

As you can see on the door, Edwin has struck with his axe twice, including the first time, in the entire time we've been loving around. He really sucks with that axe.

With the boards all moved, we want to tie a rope to the leg of the cabinet. You can see where this is going.

Yank the rope in the other room to pull the cabinet across the door again.

"Now the worst part... The waiting part..."

I dunno I'd think the worst part was you getting beaned across the face with a pipe. Worst for you, anyway. I thought it was kinda funny.

Surgical veil over here. Snag it because it's an item.

Adam never hints that you should do this, but use the scalpel to drill a peephole in the cabinet. It makes sense, but considering the last thing the game told you to do was wait, this is kinda dickish.

Once you have the peephole and the veil, Edwin makes it through the door.

"What is this supposed to mean?! Adam! Where are you, you coward?! Adam!!"
"As someone once said... The dice have been thrown..."

Shut the hell up Adam he's going to hear you!

Jesus christ Edwin had to PEEL that door. Not something you'd expect someone to do with a hatchet.

"It was a trap from the very beginning. Except I don't know if it was meant for me or Edwin. Poor fella... He's totally out of his mind. What is he going to do? Will he stay on guard here? Maybe. But it's my turn now."

I don't know what any of that means, but hey check out that head on the table. Does he look familiar?

"Simon?1 What's he doing here?."

If I had to guess, he's not here by choice.

Alright so

I hope you guys are ready for stupid.

Use the surgical veil on Edwin to...

"Edwin..."

:cripes:

Adam does NOTHING to disguise his voice other than talk in a slightly lower pitch in a monotone. He sounds LESS like Simon than he did before.

Even Edwin doesn't buy it.

And look! He's looking right AT Adam! The sound isn't even coming from the right direction to pretend to be Simon!

"You are wrong, Edwin. There is no Adam here, and never was. It's just you and me, Edwin. The murderer and the victim..."
"I don't understand. What are you talking about?"
"Just you and me, Edwin. Have you forgotten already? You have me on you conscience. That is not going to change."
"Show yourself!"
"The time has come for you to pay the debt, Edwin."
"Where are you?!"
"Here, Edwin. I was here all the time. Right behind you... Right behind you..."

Edwin looks decidedly not behind him, but slightly to his left and sees Simon's head.

Somehow he loving falls for it :cripes:

"Leave me alone! I'm sorry... I didn't mean to do it... I really didn't... I'm terribly sorry... Please... Leave me alone..."

Immediately we cut to uhhhhh wait what

WHAT

WHAT??

DID HE JUST KILL HIMSELF WITH AN AXE TO THE THROAT?

DID ADAM DO IT? HOW WOULD ADAM HAVE DONE IT HE WAS BEHIND A CABINET?

OH NEVERMIND NONE OF THAT HAPPENED

THAT ENTIRE CHAPTER DIDN'T ACTUALLY HAPPEN

GOOD

:siren:UPDATE 8 - STATS:siren:

none I'm done gently caress this chapter I'm so god drat happy Future Games went bankrupt also we haven't hit the event horizon of stupid FYI just you guys wait.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

uh

ok

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
You know how, when you do something that a dog does not understand, it tilts its head to the side and stares at you in mute incomprehension?

Yeah.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
This is magical in all the wrong ways.

It is almost like the game makers went for the terrible slingshot maneuver, where things are so bad they are good again, and overshot so badly they crashed this game into the bog of stupidity.
I don't see how at any point of this the devs thought that this was going to be a 90+/100 rated game.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Danaru posted:

none I'm done gently caress this chapter I'm so god drat happy Future Games went bankrupt also we haven't hit the event horizon of stupid FYI just you guys wait.

It gets worse!? :suspense:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be fair, this section is probably the closest the game came to being genuinely scary.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So I just shotgunned the thread. Some comments.

- I really liked Dorothy, she was low-key but had genuine emotion, and I could definitely believe she's an actual person.
- Poor Danica. Again, believable as an actual person, but also really sad. Definitely an emotional high (low?) point of the game.
- On the opposite end, Simon
- Oh god what the gently caress this game's sequencing. I don't even know.
- Despite that car sequence being ridiculous and COMPLETELY caused by Adam, it honestly looks like the closest the gameplay has gone to be interesting. Of course, that's not exactly hard.....
- This last sequence could've been a LOT more sensible with a simple reorder. Edwin discovers the corpses BEFORE running into Adam. Boom, good reason for him to be incoherent and paranoid. You could still have the phone call trigger his 'Kill Adam' thing specifically. I mean you'd have to remove the light bulb thing, but still who cares?

Enjoying (?) this a lot, thanks for running it. It's a train wreck I can't look away from.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

OK, I have absolutely no loving clue where this is going, those bits that I get I find really dumb, and yet I can't help but want more.

I'm expecting Edwin to just be on the island again as if nothing happened and have no recollection of the events that just occurred.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't really understand how this game can get dumber, but I also have no idea what any chapter has to do with any other chapter, so I guess I'm doing fine?

HotAndColdAF
May 30, 2011

Making Daddy proud.
This game makes me understand what it must be like to suffer sanity damage in Call of Cthulu or something. I definitely feel like my brain has lost something important after every update.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, just spitballing here, but is there any chance that our mystery woman voice is our mute friend from the island? I mean, if I was writing a terrible story and one of my characters never said a word, and then there's this mysterious voice...

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

CzarChasm posted:

So, just spitballing here, but is there any chance that our mystery woman voice is our mute friend from the island? I mean, if I was writing a terrible story and one of my characters never said a word, and then there's this mysterious voice...

Yukiko, right? No chance, mainly because that makes sense, but I'm also guessing the mystery lady doesn't have a horrifyingly offensive Japanese accent.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TheMcD posted:

I'm expecting Edwin to just be on the island again as if nothing happened and have no recollection of the events that just occurred.
See that's the thing, none of it did happen, because it was all just Adam's nightmare for that "night"! Or so I assume, although assuming anything about this game probably isn't all that wise.

I guess it's a good thing I don't know what the gently caress is it with this "story", because if I did, that would mean I can follow the train of thought of whoever wrote it, and that would not be a good indicator for my sanity. But then again, neither is the fact that I'm eagerly looking forward to the next update. I wonder what new and novel ways they'll have come up with to make our brains hurt next time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
And it was all a dream again!

Because none of the occurrences in this game relate to any of the other occurrences.

HotAndColdAF posted:

This game makes me understand what it must be like to suffer sanity damage in Call of Cthulu or something. I definitely feel like my brain has lost something important after every update.

I can feel my neurons uncoupling from one another by the thousands with each new screenshot and line of nonsensical dialogue.

But, there's no turning back now. It's much too late for me. It's probably too late for any of us.

:rip: brain

• Locked thread