Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

So, in the far reaches of 2014 I started a thread of the Visual Novel by Hanako Games called The Royal Trap. I flaked on it, but recently was encouraged to work on it again, and I still have all the resources. So here I go. The old thread you can find in the archives here but I'll give a summary for those without archives.

Background

The Royal Trap is a game made by Hanako Games. She has recently gotten some attention on this forum. With a finished Let's Play of Magical Diary: Horse Hall by CommissarMega and an one of Long Live the Queen by MegaZeroX, plenty of people are familiar with her work. They are very close to Visual Novel Style in gameplay, has a very anime look to it, and generally is 'girly' at first glance. But the writing is solid, and after coming into contact with her games through this forum, I recently bought my third game from her store.

The Royal Trap came out on February 23, 2013. Unlike Long Live the Queen or Magical Diary, it's only available on her own website for now. Also unlike those games, it is a pure Visual Novel. Which means it works more or less like a CYOA adventure book. Your only impact on the story is picking one of multiple choice questions now and then. Sometimes, there's a long period of time with not much to do but reading.
I do recommend the game. If you prefer playing along, you can purchase it [url=]http://www.hanakogames.com/royaltrap.shtml]here[/url]. A demo is also available.

What is it about?

In the Royal Trap you play Miss Madeleine Valois, (no relation with the Queen of the Scots) a woman of minor nobility who is the minder, bodyguard and advisor to Prince Oscar of Osendawyr. In this particular setting, lines of succession are drawn exclusively through the female line. Because of this, noble youths must try to gain the favour of young noblewomen.

You accompany Oscar to Gwellinor, where princess Cassidy, heir to the kingdom celebrates her eighteenth birthday. Several princes are invited, seeking the princess' favour. It's vitally important that nothing goes wrong.

So how will this work?

Goons adore voting, and who am I to stand in the way of democracy? The first run I'll have a vote for every decision. This game is not lethal, so no need to worry about stacking up the corpses, Elodie style. The second run... we'll see that when we get there.

I'm mostly going to let the game speak for itself. I won't be inserting any of my own stuff, and I'll be sparse with my own comments.
I'd like to have no spoilers in the thread. Even under tags. And preferably no 'oh, you're gonna love this next bit' or 'trust me, you wanna vote B' things either.

Recap

Madeleine Valois is the friend, bodyguard and mentor to Oscar of Ocendawyr. As youngest daughter of minor nobility, she stands to inherit nothing, and as such has few prospects in marriage in these 'women inherit the title and lands' lands. She accompanies Oscar to the birthday party of Princess Cassidy, in the hope of gaining Oscar married. Introductions are made and are successful. However, Oscar is not the only prince vying for Princess Cassidy's favor. Prince Gaston, an broadly built blonde man and Prince Nagasi, a graceful man of questionable reputation where present as well. Further complicating matters are the feelings Oscar has for Madeleine herself. He admits to these in a letter, however, we decided that Madeleine does not return this feelings. We did decide that she will wear the gift he gave to us to show that we acknowledge his message.

Dinner was served later, where we briefly talked to a page, who told us some rumours going around about the current princess being an impostor, saying that the princess died from a plague along with her brother Caspian, years ago. We also learn that the cousin of the Princess, Duchess Sophia is absent after the birth of her own daughter, but her husband, Duke Pherod is there. We then went to spy on the ball, where we encountered Callum, the older brother of the princess, who was pretty rude. We did get some spying on, seeing that Oscar was doing quite well. Quickly returning to our room, we were later disturbed by the news that Oscar had kidnapped the princess.

Quickly heading out, we soon found things weren't quite so dire. Oscar had gone with Cassidy to the gardens, where he was knocked out and Cassidy vanished. We successfully managed to deflect some of the suspicion, though Duke Pherod, his wife and daughter being next in line if Cassidy was to die, was moreso. Everyone was asked to return to their room and stay in them while the castle was searched. We of course decided this was for the birds, and after a quick talk with Oscar, headed out. Going though the servant's ways, we encountered the page from earlier, Dolores, who was willing to let us into the room of either Duke Pherod, Prince Gaston or Prince Nazagi for Oscar's amulet. We decided to just offer her money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

“Here. More than it's worth, and more use to you.”

“Present from someone special then, miss?”

“None of your business.”

“Very well, Lady Whatever.”

With her bribe safely stowed, her smile takes on a harder quality.

“Whose room do you want?”

“Only one?”

“I can't wait around for you while you search. Too many eyes.”

I suppose that makes sense. But with so much riding on my decisions, how can I choose? Of course, Dolores is a lower servant, nearly invisible to the eyes of the mighty, and she notices things.

“Can you tell me a little about the other guests?”

“I don't have all night! We have to hurry.”

She seizes my arm and starts to pull me along, keeping up her rapid monologue in an undertone.

“The Duke and his bunch won't let even the chambermaids in to air their rooms.

“Don't know if it's territory or they've got something in there.”

“The pale fellow, nobody wants to do his room, a-cause he's got all these bottles like a farmakeist

“And who wants their fingers to rot off from poisons and curses?”

A thing of this game, is that alchemy and poisons and these things are subject of a lot of superstition, and clearly Prince Nagasi is subject to them.

“And the glittery one smells. It's true! But...”

She drops her voice even further, to a whisper.

“... I heard it from a junior scullion that someone saw a girl who looked like the princess in his room once!”

“Can't tell you that it's true, only that I heard it.”

“So, which room do you want to see?”

“Fine. Now let's get moving. And whatever you do, don't tell anyone I helped you!”

The page leads me to Duke Pherod's room, where she unlocks the door and holds it open for me to slip quietly inside. Then, her purpose served, she leaves me to my task.

There tends to be a certain similarity to these guest quarters – after all, there is no way to know who might be residing within them at any time. However, there is something odd about the rooms assigned to Duke Pherod, a difference that nags at me until I can place it: the walls are bare of ornament. No hanging lamps, no clocks, no portraits, and, more importantly, the suggestion of pale outlines where such things might once have been placed. Nothing visible but closed cabinets and a long wooden chest on the floor.

Could Duke Pherod and his attendants be pilfering the palace treasures? It would seem a foolish thing to do so openly, but as the Duke and Duchess are powerful figures within Gwellinor, the Crown might not wish to risk instability over a few petty thefts.

That chest – it looks too rough-hewn for palace issue. Something they brought with them? If they are 'appropriating' items, it might be a logical storage location.

There is lock on the lid, of course, but that is little obstacle. I am hardly a professional burglar, but I am capable of getting past a simple lock given enough time: more than it would be safe to spend fumbling in an open corridor. Here, in private, I have the luxury of being unhurried.

However, it is often wise not to take obstacles at face value. I feel around the wooden sides and am rewarded with a hidden catch which bypasses the lock entirely, popping the lid open.

Now for a look inside.

“Back away form that, carefully, or I'll spit you where you stand.”

He is only one man with one sword, and I am not helpless. I would not make much of a companion for a prince if I were so easily cowed. However, every gentlewoman knows that sometimes submission is the best defence.

He is within his rights, and I am not. If I challenged him here, then come victory or defeat, my prince would still be disgraced.

As such, I offer no resistance.

“We were promised inviolable territory. Has all tradition been cast aside, or are you acting on your own?”

“Wait. You're not one of Priedric's. You're the servant of that witless princeling.”

“Or perhaps not so witless. Has he sent you to plant evidence, then?”

I draw myself up with as much dignity as I can manage after having been caught with my hands in the sack, as it were.

“I am searching for Princess Cassidy.”

“Indeed. And why did you expect to find her here?

“I didn't expect anything, I was searching for clues.”

I point to the forbidden chest behind me.

“You obviously have something to hide. The king seemed to believe that either you or Oscar would be the most likely culprit, and since I know Oscar is innocent, that leaves you.”

“Do you honestly know so little of the situation as that? You should pay more attentions to your lessons, girl. I am the obvious suspect because my wife is the daughter of the current Wisdom's sister, and she has just blessed me with an heir.”

Oh.

His wife, the Duchess Sophia, is Princess Cassidy's cousin, and would have been second in the line of succession before her marriage. If Cassidy is dead, then Sophia's infant daughter becomes the new princess.

“Even if it were otherwise, you insult my intelligence to suggest that I would hold my cousin here

“But here, my lord, is where the Crown swore not to look. I thought it was important that someone did.”

“Child, they searched each of our rooms while we were called to assembly.”

“... of course they did.”

I should have realised! Any such search must have been cursory, but enough to discover a prisoner tucked quickly out of sight. Still...

“Just because the rooms were checked earlier doesn't mean they shouldn't be checked again now. She could have been moved after the search.”

“Better. But you're still far out of your depth.”

“If you mean the princess no harm, why are you travelling with firearms.”

“In case someone else means harm to me and mine.”

With a shrug, he sheathes his dagger.

“If you are what you seem, girl, your instincts are sound, but your experience is lacking. Return to your master before someone notices you missing and draws more shadow over us.”

“If you are playing a deeper role in this game, be grateful that I do not yet have cause to kill you.”

“Now leave.”

“Yes, my lord.”

A cold man, and a mysterious one. Yet he could have attacked while I was so foolishly distracted with my search, could have demanded some forfeit in exchange for my trespass. Instead, he waited for an explanation, and then sent me on my way. He may yet be a villain, but not a mindless one.

A clever villain, of course, is even more dangerous.

It is my task to defend him in all ways, to guard him from danger, to save him from dishonor, and to present him in the best possible light. Rescuing a lost princess would make him a hero, one that any woman would want as her husband. What greater laurel could I earn for him?

That, of course, is if I succeed. If I do not, if this scandal is pinned to his name...

I will not fail him. I will find Cassidy. But first, I must speak with Oscar, to tell him what little I have learned and see if it sparks any clue.

There was again no one on guard in front of our rooms, so it was simple for me to unlock the door and slip back inside.

Oscar was not on hand to greet me. He may be resting his sore head, which is worrying in itself. He was knocked unconscious earlier, however briefly. His injury may be worse than it appeared.

Of course, he may simply have found some way to distract himself in my absence.

I should call out quietly, to give him warning of my approach.

The strange man attacks with a powerful overhead strike – a move generally useful only for splitting melons. Even caught off-guard, I have more than enough time to brace and catch his stroke on my blades. My angle is not good enough to push him back more than a few steps, but by that point I can assume a better chance.

Note that Madeleine isn't hesitating in striking for the heart here. She might not be too eager to become a mercenary, but if Oscar is in danger, she has no compunction in playing for keeps.

But no – he ran further than I expected, and I catch only the air. I turn my head to find my target behind me and to the side, again making a wild overhand swing.

Too late to turn; I dive for the floor and roll to come up facing the correct direction. His sword slices through empty air and into the floor, scarring the wood: he's overbalanced. Driving in my heels, I grab the plush edge of the embroidered rug beneath him and yank.

My assailant stumbles, falling back against the heavy marble fireplace while I climb to my feet. Looks like that impact left a bruise, though nowhere near enough to put him out of the fight.

He has reach and strength, but not so much skill, I think. Time to take the offensive.

I bare my teeth and snarl, then leap forward, tapping his sword at full speed with first one dagger, then the other, getting him used to the pattern of parrying. When the moment comes, I trap his sword between my blades and give it a wrench that would have sent it flying from the hand of an untrained man. This one retains his grip, but for the moment, his weapon is neutralised.

I force him up against the wall, too close for him to bring a sword to bear, and look up into the eyes of my enemy.

“Testing you.”

“I could have killed you!”

He smirks at me and casually eases his sword from my control.

“I don't think so.”

A prince should have the best tutors and more skill in sword-fighting than the clumsy attacks he demonstrated on me, that is true. Of course, he is one of many, a neglected younger son, as he said.

“Why are you here?”

“I require your aid.”

“You want to get my help by breaking into my room and attacking me?”

“I needed to be sure you would not freeze in a crisis. I need a pair of hands I can rely on, not another burden.”

“For what?”

He shrugs me aside and takes a few long strides away, before turning back to answer over his shoulder.

“A task that calls for the sort of woman who climbs out of windows and slips locks, and who draws a blade at a moment's notice.”

“You want me to spy for you. And you think you can trust me for that? You don't know me. You must have servants of your own.”

“I need someone with no connections. That means you, Valois of Ocendawyr.”

“You are going to do exactly as I tell you, for two reasons. One, because I need your help to rescue my sister. And two...”

“...because if you don't, I'll slit your master's throat.”

Oscar!!!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You gotta be careful about the nobility, Shog. They're crafty and play dirty.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Huh.

I liked Long Live The Queen, so I guess I'll follow along with this.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
Of course, the old take a hostage to get you to focus all your effort on doing what they want and not doing something like spending all your effort in trying to rescue the hostage they took.
A great plan. I'm sure it will work on Callum.

Although, I guess this means Callum didn't kidnap his sister. Would be weird to frame Oscar and then take him hostage to get someone to unframe him.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
It may be worth noting that this game actually is out on Steam now, with an update that includes better background art and a change to the ending of at least one route. Not linking in case the screenshots provide spoilers though.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Drowning my heart's panicked cry, I force myself to examine the situation in detail.

Oscar's eyes are wide over the silken gag – probably a stray hose. I don't see any signs of further injury or struggle. Callum's actions must have taken us completely by surprise. How could either of us have guessed the prince was a madman?

Think! Stall for time! Think

“You can't possibly mean that.”

“You're already suspect. This beau -”

He nudges very slightly with his blade and Oscar flinches.

“- was the last one with my sister, and you have been creeping about like a spider.”

“If I kill you both and claim self-defence, do you think anyone will have questions?”

“That presumes you can win.”

Perhaps you could hold me off with your little stings, but too late for your livelihood here.”[/img]

“You're bluffing. You wouldn't dare murder a visiting prince, especially not like this. Tied up, his blood all over your clothes... If I scream for the guards, you couldn't possibly have the time to clean up the evidence.”

He laughs.

“Clever. You are the one I need.”

“I don't want his blood or any part of him. But if we can't make a deal, I will have to call for the guards, and we'll see what happens.”

“What do you want from me?”

“Your oath. You serve me, without question, until Cassidy is safe. And no knife in my back.”

“And you expect me to cooperate, when you're threatening my friend?”

“I need a partner I can trust absolutely, and this is the only leverage I've got.”

“I don't have time to argue. Your oath – now!”

There's really no choice to be made; I can't let him harm Oscar.

I like this scene, in that Madeleine doesn't completely surrender even when she's at a complete disadvantage. I mean, it still ends in her having to agree to the demands, but she doesn't quit without a fight.

“Fine. I'll do what you want.”

Formal oath.”

He presses his bare palm to the edge of his sword just long enough to break the skin, and then holds it out to me.

A blood vow, that's what he wants. My hand and my blood matched to his, my honor subject to his will. A privilege that, until now, has belonged to Oscar alone... and by that bond, I can't refuse.

Fighting down a feeling of panic at events moving beyond my power to control them, I remove my glove and scratch across my palm. Then, before Oscar's eyes, I place my hand in Callum's, skin to skin.

“I offer you my service and obedience until the rescue of Princess Cassidy – within limits. I won't murder for you and I won't die for you. And if any harm comes to Oscar, the deal is off.”

And despite the situation, she doesn't give a carte blanche when it comes to an oath that is very clearly not something even someone more... pragmatical cares to break.

“Pushy, aren't you?”

But he takes his sword away from Oscar's throat, and in one motion, sheaths it.

“You said you wanted a partner. Partners speak up. If you don't mind, I'd like to take that thing off him now.”

“As long as you can keep him under control.”

My fingers are already moving to loosen the gag.

“Maddie, what are you doing? You can't work for him. He's lost his head!”

I glare at Oscar and hope that for once he'll read the message in my eyes: don't provoke him! It's too late for arguments now. My oath is given and this is the situation we have, so we'd better make the best of it.

“If he's trying to save the princess, he is our ally.”

And staying close to Callum means being able to keep an eye on him, not that I can explain that at the moment. Please, Oscar, trust me!

“He's a knock-kneed double-crossing sneak!

“I liked him better with the muzzle.”

I wave my hands through the air, gesturing the two of them apart.

“Both of you, no biting.”

Also, the fact that she is moving to take charge of the situation even when she's technically sworn to serve and obey him.

“But...”

“...fine.”

This day keeps building up more and more apologies that I owe him. It's all worthwhile so long as he is safe and whole for me to apologise to.

“So, how are we supposed to rescue Cassidy? The whole castle's looking for her already. What do you know that they don't?”

“I have the ransom note. We bring the gold, they bring the princess.”

“How do you know it's genuine?”

“There was... a lock of her hair.”

“If you have a rendezvous point, why not take some guards and go fetch her?”

“You do what I say, without questions.”

“Right.”

He said he needed someone without connections. Perhaps he's afraid that any guard he relied on could be in the employ of the Duke and Duchess. It would be easy to arrange an 'accident' during a hostage exchange. He is paranoid, but completely without reason.

Oscar sighs and leans against the doorframe. He's looking a bit pale. This day has taken a heavy toll on him, both emotionally and physically.

“Come on, we have work to do.

“Just you, Valois. He stays here.”

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 31, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Talk To Oscar First, if only to tell him that you're doing this to save his silly rear end. And to not do anything dumb.

Also, you have a few busted /img tags up there, but otherwise, it everything looks good! Keep it up!

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Talk to Oscar, give him a quick briefing so he doesn't do anything stupid.

Indiiea
Sep 26, 2013
It's good to see you picked up the LP again!

I agree that talking to Oscar seems like a good idea.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Talk to Oscar

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Talk to Oscar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
...see you in 2016?

• Locked thread