Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Judging by this thread, Kristallnacht is alive and well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

nielsm posted:

Wait, if I upgrade now, then replace my motherboard in 2 months, will my license be invalid?
Probably yes. You might still be able to reinstall using a Windows 7 or 8 key, but officially your motherboard is the computer, and the license is bound to the computer. So new motherboard means you must purchase a new license.
2016-06-22: This may be changing! With the Anniversary Update it looks like you will be able to link your Digital Entitlement license to a Microsoft account, and keep it valid across larger hardware upgrades.

Has anyone had recent experience with this? I'm on the fence as to whether I want to upgrade my hardware now and then get windows 10 or just wait until Kaby Lake/BF1/forever.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Arsten posted:

the new terrible version they made for "User Friendliness"

Is this snap or something else?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I don't get the hate for Windows 10. Disable the telemetry, privacy concerns gone.

lol nope

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

As there seem to be more Classic Shell users ITT than in the Infosec one, could someone give me a basic use case for Classic Shell? It seems that someone savvy enough to know they would like such a thing would also be savvy enough to not actually waste time looking through the start menu. Hitting the Windows key then entering the name of the program/doc you want is pretty solid these days. Is there something handy in the changes to the Explorer shell?

The site's feature list and screenshots leave me with the impression that the primary user base is people who grew up with Windows XP/2000 and somehow decided it was the golden era of computing that should never have evolved in the decades since.

Goons violently defended the windows 8 start screen even in its initial idiot form because the start screen was the future and it was easier to use and faster and the start menu was outdated and pc-centric so you should just get over the fact that the start menu was gone (and good riddens!) instead of being a basement troglodyte that can't spend 2 seconds adapting to a human-centric modern UI.

And yet here we are in 2016 with what is essentially an embarrassingly corny TRON version of the windows 2000 start menu with any semblance of functionality removed.

Let's not get into the fact that the windows 10 Happy-Birthday-Edition update which totally isn't a service pack used all of the controversial telemetry that they've collected to decide that what people are really hyped about is cortanaTM, edge, and stylus support for all 9 people that have purchased a Surface recently enough that they still think having a stylus is a good idea. loving stylus support. This is what happens when you don't enable 'Enhanced' telemetry and microsoft pretends that they have more than 0.04% of the mobile market.

In the end I think windows 10 is great. It didn't break my computer and it runs all of the important windows programs apps I have installed like Battlefield 4, Overwatch, and other games that don't run well on GNU/Linux (all of them). Sure, it records every single thing you do, but if microsoft's advertising partners want to know that I played Minecraft for 19 hours straight then they deserve it for making a fantastic and free OS for me to play DX12 games on.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Icept posted:

Anyone been fighting the Xbox Game DVR after the Anniversary Update? I had a hell of a time trying to troubleshoot why CS was suddenly running like rear end from one day to the next, turns out the Xbox app I've never touched decided I wanted DVR when I updated. What's even cooler is they want you to log in to turn the setting off. Had to use some combination of regedit and powershell to pull that poo poo up with its roots.

You might want to make a script for that since it will install itself again.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Klyith posted:

Spring 2017 Big Update: secpol rules can't be created for built-in windows apps unless you're using Enterprise, all existing policies reverted

2 weeks later: here's an even more obscure way to get ad-crap to gently caress off!

Enterprise can downgrade to 'Security' level, which only installs the original Candy Crush with Facebook integration disabled.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I have some weird issue after the SP1 anniversary update where my windows install doesn't shut down completely, preventing me from accessing it in Ubuntu. I have hybrid sleep/fast boot disabled in the power menu and the registry flag indicates that it's off.

Edit: I mounted it anyways. Problem solved.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 21, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

This is my start menu now. I am ok with this.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I don't know WTF they're doing, by adding apps there like "mail" that can't be right click > uninstalled.
It feels like using an old unrooted phone.

This would be relevant if the apps ever actually installed so they could be uninstalled and if it didn't revert to that state every time I reboot, chap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

nielsm posted:

Are you talking about this setting, that should have said "ads" rather than "suggestions"?

no