Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Just to be clear: The upgrade will never kick off without my explicit action, right? I have an old Core 2 that's been approved for the update but its motherboard is even further out of support than my Sandy Bridge (which got through fine) and I'm almost sure the Core 2 doesn't have Windows 8 drivers for a lot of things.

It'll give you 3 days if you tell it to wait.

Or, if Windows Update downloads it first, it'll be just 1 reboot away. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Fufo posted:

People have tried these things, with varying degrees of success:

-Disabling driver updates from Windows Update and manually installing the latest ones. Even if the numbers are the same, there's apparently some difference between the ones downloaded from nVidia and the ones WU installs for you.

-Rolling back to previous drivers, even if they don't explicitly support W10.

In any case, using DDU to completely remove drivers is a good precaution before doing any of those two things.

Good luck, none of them worked for me. I'm in the "I have to wait for a new driver to be released camp".

Forgot to chime in on my NVIDIA problems and how they got fixed.

I recently had to do not one but two Resets on my desktop. The first one was due to weird drivers causing multiple bugs, the second was because CrashPlan installed to the Program Files directory (NOT to its own folder) and somehow deleted multiple other programs when I tried to fix a server issue with it by uninstall/reinstalling.

Anyway, all of that aside:

When I did my Resets, I let Windows install whatever drivers it wanted. Then after that was done, I installed NVIDIA's Win 10 drivers for the 700 Series and it was fine afterwards.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know of a good app that can let you read Word files (besides..you know...Word)? The normal Word app sucks at letting me enlarge text on my screen and whatnot.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks, but I already have this. I don't really want to go micromanaging with stuff on Drive too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DemonMage posted:

What do you mean? You just double click and it opens like any other file. If you have the default set as something else just Open With Chrome.

Or do you mean stuff on OneDrive and it not working with them or something? I've never used it.

You can't actually open a Word file with Chrome, at least Chrome doesn't show up in the list...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks guys. I'll give LibreOffice a try!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't get it. What's wrong with the zoom slider in the lower right?

I don't have Office 365 and I can't actually edit with it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This privacy thing is going to hurt MS and Windows 10 much more than the forced driver updates. It's basically everywhere at this point.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

It's gotten so it's hard to defend it and say it's "like Android and iOS" because at least those you can turn off the stuff you don't want and it's actually off.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/fears-windows-10-will-blow-data-caps-20150817-gj0i98.html

Windows 10's forced updates seem to be causing issues with data caps causing huge bills.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

My one and only annoyance with W10 is that the realtek audio manager seems to not work. It's the program that has the EQ settings and without it, my audio quality with my headphones is pretty lovely. I think I found the .exe in the realtek folder, but trying to launch it does nothing, and the icon is absent in the system tray.

Is there no other way to adjust the audio settings in 10? I've reinstalled what I believe is the latest driver package. I have an EQ extension in Chrome that works good, but I had been using Firefox exclusively for the last month and honestly like it better.

VIA HD Audio Deck doesn't work either. I've tried to reinstall drivers and it's crashed the OS multiple times unless Windows gets to use it's OWN drivers from WU.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://accan.org.au/news-items/hot-issues/1089-free-microsoft-update-beware

More info from AU on restricted data and Windows 10. Like it or not, we'll probably see a lot of this.

At least it's not the rumors going around with 10 deleting BitTorrent or whatever.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/microsoft-has-no-plans-to-tell-us-whats-in-windows-patches/

Looks like we won't be knowing what's in Win10 patches anytime soon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone have any idea why 10 decided to make my 1.5TB storage drive a System drive and the C drive some normal thing?

How badly is this going to gently caress me over later and why did this happen?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone have any idea why 10 decided to make my 1.5TB storage drive a System drive and the C drive some normal thing?

How badly is this going to gently caress me over later and why did this happen?

Anyone know what's up with this? I did some Googling and it looks like it's some problem with how Windows updated...but I can't find any fixes that's not "unplug all the drives, reinstall Windows".

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's because the fix is to unplug all the drives and reinstall Windows. Unless you want to lose access to Windows if your platter drive ever kicks it (and that's sort of what platter drives do, so...)

Or, you know, figure out which port on your motherboard is actually the first SATA port Windows will look at (not necessarily the port the motherboard's screenprinting says it is) and plugging the drive you want Windows on into it.

And still unplug all other drives and reinstall Windows. Unless you want to build the recovery/system/EFI protective partition on the SSD by yourself...

Factor Mystic posted:

Which is not that big of a deal. You should be able to use bcdedit to clone your existing config. Or maybe just disconnect the drives and boot to the recovery partition and let it automatically figure it out. Probably don't need to reinstall.

How would I get to the Recovery Partition in 10?

I found a bunch of sites but I don't know which has decent advice.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/14703-system-reserved-wrong-drive.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/the-wrong-drive-is-marked-as-system.109617/
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...6a-11fe7de027e5

I'd really, really prefer not to go and reinstall the OS just to fix this problem that Windows 10 apparently created because this was not the case on 7, 8, or 8.1.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

Either boot to your installation usb stick, or click on Setting -> Update & Security -> Recovery, then do the "Advanced startup" thing. Once youre in there, you can probably either use the GUI to restore bootability or open a command prompt and run bcdboot. You may be able to use bcdedit to clone your current config to another partition, but I'm not sure how to do that off the top of my head. Heck, if you're able to disconnect the drive with the boot config, you may be able to run bcdboot without needing to get into the recovery environment.

Would I have to do this before or after disconnecting the HDD?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/09/02/windows-10-updates-u-turn/

Looks like MS has been listening for more transparency in updates...for Enterprise users?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-device-whether-you039ve-reserved-it-or-not

Looks like Windows 10's install files are being installed to devices, even if you didn't reserve the OS. It will also try to install the OS once you reboot.

quote:

The symptoms are repeated failed 'Upgrade to Windows 10' in the WU update history and a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labeled '$Windows.~BT'. I thought Microsoft [said] this 'upgrade' was optional. If so, why is it being pushed out to so many computers where it wasn't reserved, and why does it try to install over and over again?

I know of two instances where people on metered connections went over their data cap for August because of this unwanted download. My own internet (slow DSL) was crawling for a week or so until I discovered this problem. In fact, that's what led me to it. Not only does it download, it tries to install every time the computer is booted.

10 is nice and all but MS is really loving things up what with them installing the weird privacy poo poo to 7 and 8 and now this.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Note that if, for some reason, you want to do your driver updates manually (in case MS botched a driver or something*) the old "go directly to Intel/Realtek" trick works.

*The Synaptics drivers from Microsoft are meant expressly for the HP Spectre line, because that's what Microsoft used to promote Windows 10 instead of the Surface line for some reason. They still do dumb poo poo like put the tray icon back at restart even if you explicitly tell it not to, which HP's version of the Synaptics driver doesn't do. And turning 'show all tray icons' off is akin to putting your eye out.

So is this why, after all this time, my laptop is STILL broken on 10 and I can't press any keys or use the touchpad if I want the system to not crash repeatedly?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think a recent Windows update in 10 broke the ability to sleep or something. I've checked my drives and they're not failing...but recently, if I let the PC sleep, it'll lock up and I have to hard reset.

Anyone else having this problem?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

beuges posted:

On my system, after updates last week some time, the display doesn't resume after going into power save. This also includes sometimes resuming from sleep. What does work for me is putting it back into sleep (laptop, so just pushing the power button or closing the lid for me), and then waking it up again - the display wakes up again as it should, until it goes into power save again. This only started after updates last week, one of which was for my graphics card, so that's the likely culprit. It's an Intel Iris 5100 or something like that, running on a MacBook pro.

Karthe posted:

I was having this issue with my laptop after reinstalling Windows 10 a couple of days ago. It turns out I was experiencing an issue with the Intel Management Engine drivers - the ones installed via Windows Update caused all kinds of TPM-related issues that prevented the laptop from fully shutting down or sleeping. I tracked this down via the System event logs - look for event IDs 12 and 15.

I fixed the issue this morning by downloading and installing the Intel Management Engine driver from the manufacturer's website. If the installer tells you that you have a newer version of the drivers already installed, ignore it and install the drivers anyway before restarting your computer.

Skarsnik posted:

I also had sleep crashing issues with the intel ME, but switching to the ones installed by windows update and ditching the older intel ones actually fixed it for me

The intel installer wouldn't let me go above version 9.5 of the MEI drivers, whereas windows update installed version 11

I'm on a desktop and I don't think I have those drivers. It'll just lock up and freeze randomly and it's only started happening after some update a while back.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hollenhammer posted:

IS THIS WHY MY PC NO LONGER TURNS OFF

Probably.

I haven't had anymore random freeze-ups since posting about it here...except now the screens won't turn off and things are always doing something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone heard of 10 deleting registry files? A friend of mine is claiming that it did but didn't offer much else. He's already doing reset and claims that Explorer.exe no longer works.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sounds like the sort of garbage a third party anti-virus program would helpfully shovel on your plate, to be honest.

That's what I was thinking too. I've never heard of Windows doing that before so...yeah.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9639414/microsoft-windows-10-automatic-update-recommended

Looks like MS will get a bit more aggressive with 10 next year.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

I got booted out of the Insider program and lost my free Windows 10 license for something as minor as a simple motherboard, CPU and ram change. I mean, the keyboard, mouse and several fans are all the same. What gives MS?

That's kind of how it's worked for ever. :v:

Speaking of this, I'm getting a bigger case and with it, a new motherboard and CPU. Would I just have to go from 7 Ultimate to 10 instead of 7 to 8 to 10?

Did they change it so you can use 7/8's key as 10's key yet?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Keshik posted:

Okay so I built this, which is mostly what AVeryLargeRadish recommended.

Last night I tried booting from my old SSD, since that would be fastest. That SSD has Windows 10 on it. It gave me an error, told me to select a device that could boot. Weird, but maybe my old SSD was hosed up somehow. Tried booting from my Windows 8.1 disk to install onto the new SSD, and it crashed before even beginning the install, said there was a drive problem. Went to Best Buy and bought a new fresh copy of Windows 10 Home 64, plugged in the USB 3.0, BIOS recognized it just fine, saw it, made it the main boot device, it boots up and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. I googled a bunch on my phone, people said swap out RAM, put it in different slots, I tried with one stick, then the other stick, then different slots, no help, same error every time.

In desperation, a few hours ago I tried installing Windows 7. Worked perfectly, I'm now up and running. All drivers installed, everything's perfect.

Except one problem... I don't have an activation key for this copy of Windows 7, and Best Buy told me to gently caress off when I tried returning Windows 10.

I like Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, I'd like to run those, but I'm terrified if I install Windows 10 onto this machine as an upgrade, it'll keep loving up again.

What the hell is the problem? Is Windows 8 and above just incapable of running on a skylake? What the gently caress is the deal?

Sup Skylake bud! :wave:

Windows 10 should boot fine, I've got the i5 6600K and I clean installed Windows 10 TH2 using my Windows 7 key (I know you don't have a key for it, just saying 10 should work fine).

I'd say a failing RAM problem, but if 7 says it's ok... Do 8 and 10 handle RAM differently and can tell if they're failing?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know if the 8 upgrade keys will work on TH2?

A friend of mine has the upgrade key back when MS was selling them when 8 launched and he wants to know if he can clean install TH2 using that key.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lowtechs posted:

It should I left the Insider program and put in my Windows 8 Pro key and it activated fine. I did a clean install of 10 back during pre-release.

Yeah, but this is the upgrade key that MS themselves sold. Will that work?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah, I have the Candy Crush problem too. It's weird because I never installed it or even thought about installing it.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Most BIOS/UEFI's have an option to turn the custom boot logos on and off.

What's the difference between BIOS and UEFI? I think my board can switch between the two...maybe?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rusty! posted:

It will probably have a CSM option in there, which is basically enabling BIOS mode on a UEFI board. UEFI boots faster, in a nutshell.

Hmm.... it's the Gigabyte Z170Z-G7, would that be UEFI or BIOS?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-yanks-latest-windows-10-release-from-its-download-server/

The new Windows 10 Media Creation Tool now only installs Build 10240 and MS wants everyone to upgrade to Build 1511 instead of clean installing.

(EDIT: There's a copy of the old 1511 MCT here http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/C/4/1C41BC6B-F8AB-403B-B04E-C96ED6047488/MediaCreationTool.exe Grab it before MS removes it.)

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 22, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Bit late there, redeyes :unsmith:

There are two theories I've read so far:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/microsoft-removes-standalone-windows-10-november-update-install-web

and

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2015/11/20/issue-with-the-windows-adk-for-windows-10-version-1511.aspx

Hopefully it's just a temporary issue that Microsoft is doing their usual piss-poor job of explaining.

I grabbed the ISOs for Core and Pro in both 32- and 64-bit when they became available earlier this month.

Looks like it's a case of Microsoft just...being Microsoft I guess.

quote:

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson says the change is intentional:

The November update was originally available via the MCT tool, but we've decided that future installs should be through Windows Update. People can still download Windows 10 using the MCT tool if they wish. The November update will be delivered via Windows Update.

This is from the ZDNet article.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

1511 is now available for the MCT again but was taken down previously thanks to an extremely minor bug that only hit a few people.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-restores-windows-10-november-update-media-explains-why-it-was-pulled

quote:

n what has been a confusing couples of days, Microsoft first pulled the November Update from the Media Creation tool used to download ISOs last Saturday. According to a statement released by Microsoft, the company had planned to stagger the update over time and, as such, was prioritizing Windows Update as the vector for propagating the November Update.

In a statement issued today, however, the company has backtracked on those plans, instead chalking the whole fiasco up to a bug that affected the privacy settings of some users:

quote:

Recently we learned of an issue that could have impacted an extremely small number of people who had already installed Windows 10 and applied the November update. Once these customers installed the November update, a few of their settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained. For these customers, we will restore their settings over the coming days and we apologize for the inconvenience. We worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible - it will not impact future installs of the November update, which is available today.
Thus, it seems that the update is once again available via the Media Creation Tool. For those customers who downloaded the update files before the problem was discovered, Microsoft has promised to reset their settings in the coming days.

The bug in question related to the following four settings, which, if turned off by the user, were set to their default 'on' setting after applying the update:

-Let apps use my advertising ID
-Turn on SmartScreen Filter for web content
-Let apps run in the background
-Sync with devices

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Klyith posted:

They will eventually force all programs to be UWP, and that will be the end of small and open source programmers!

They will eventually force all directx apps to be signed through the Windows Store, and that will be the end of steam / indie games!

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

(a 10 second google will show that this has been in the works since 2015, and does not mean that drivers have to go through a complete Windows Certification test. it does mean some additional hoops to jump through, but the smallest of hardware developers can fit through those. It does gently caress over the tinkerer / independent guy making new drivers for re-purposed hardware, except that anyone doing that, or even running someone else's weird one-off drivers, probably already has secure boot turned off. Or doesn't need to run kernel drivers in the first place, for example the DS4tool project is totally unaffected.)

MS being able to revoke certs for kernel mode stuff that turns out to be malicious -- actual malware, bad-ideas OEM crapware that turns out to have massive security holes, or junk like that Sony cd driver that hosed your pc to try to prevent you from ripping music -- is a good thing. Abuse of that ability would be bad but they haven't done it yet.

There's been some rumor that Steam will no longer work due to UWP or someshit in 5 years and MS will force everyone to download from the Windows Store. It's kind of funny.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I recently found out about the registry hack for the OLED transparency for the taskbar. It looks way better now. What's the reason behind it not being default? It works with all wallpapers (Light or dark) and makes the interface look nicer. I wish it made the start menu and action centre, etc, all have that transparency too. From the name I'm guessing it's to reduce burn in on OLED devices, but I just like it more.

What's it look like with it on? Just the icons and no taskbar or something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

c0burn posted:

It's still blowing my mind that the worlds biggest OS rolled out an update that broke the worlds most popular webcams. The people on insider program must definitely all be basement dwellers

Didn't it break like every webcam? :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, you can select surround virtualizers now in the CU. That Windows Sonic for Headphones stuff and Dolby Atmos. Although the Dolby stuff isn't enabled for headphones yet, just outputting to speakers.

Would this do anything for me with my Logitech 7.1 G430s?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Double Punctuation posted:

The important ones are all in the \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager key. Set the DWORDs SoftLangingEnabled, SubscribedContentEnabled, and SystemPaneSuggestionsEnabled to 0 to turn it off. If you do this for the Default hive (the one you load from %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Default\ntuser.dat, not .DEFAULT), you can also disable the pre-installed apps. This is, ironically, more convenient than going through Settings.

Is there a site or something that explained how to do this in detail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it possible to upgrade a Windows 10 Home laptop to Windows 10 Pro? Maybe using the accessibility thing (I actually DO use the magnifier since I have low vision :v:)?