Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So, Windows 10 weirdness. I'm sharing my partner's computer while I'm over, so I figured I'd make myself an account. But a freshly created account has the fairly classic "start menu & search not responsive" issue right away. It happens no matter how many (well, I've tried 2) new accounts are created. The Settings app is not responsive, neither is any other app.

DISM scan comes up clean, as does SFC. The next troubleshooting step, running the powershell command to reinstall all default Windows apps, quickly chokes on first call to Get-AppXPackage:

As do any calls to Get-AppXPackage with no pipes or arguments. By the looks of it, this is a standard SQLite error message that occurs, well, when a database file is corrupted.

Which part of Windows now uses a database to operate now? Why, the Start menu's TileDataLayer, of course. I tried using a different admin account to delete the new account's, no go. I tried copying my partner's account's functional start menu data, no go.

Now here's the part that baffles me. When I switch to her account, the start menu works fine. But the database file malformed error still happens when invoking Get-AppXPackage. And since it happens on a fresh new user regardless, it's likely not the Start menu database but something even more central. I imagine there must be some sort of database managing the actual app data. Sadly, there's practically no information about this error out there, and the Microsoft answers forums are worthless garbage as usual.

At this point, I guess only a Windows refresh (whether manual or triggered by the Creators update) might help, though in the case of the update, I worry it might just make the whole process fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

nielsm posted:

You can maybe use Process Monitor to figure out what file it's trying to open when you trigger that error.

Good call -- looks like the files in question are in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository, namely StateRepository-Deployment.srd and StateRepository-Machine.srd. Googling that leads to more promising results, but fixing this seems like more trouble than it's worth...

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

SinineSiil posted:

Ughh. I reset windows to possibly fix the issues Creators update introducesd and now it re-installs all the default apps like Facebook, Candy Crush after each reboot. Help!

Strictly speaking, it's not installing anything, only the "ad" pointing you to these if you want. This is the Windows 10 Consumer Experience and you can disable it in a flash.

Might've changed in Creators update, but there's no indication of this that I can see.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

Ow, gently caress. I didn't dodge a bullet with the Creator's update failing a week ago, it was just winding up for the mother of all haymakers. Had to refresh my install, and now Windows thinks my hardware's changed and I can't reach the authentication servers. I'm probably going to have to call them in the morning.

Authentication calls are a doozy, you just punch in your key and a robot spews some numbers back at you. Don't worry about it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Is it actually possible to have Windows Spotlight (the randomized pictures on lock screen) without having the dumb text over it? Everything I find from searching either suggests disabling Windows Spotlight (durrr) or changing group policies which don't actually seem to achieve this.

e: vvvvv
Ugh, how dumb. If it was just a little blurb in the corner, it wouldn't be so bad, but some of these are just so heavy handed and tacky. No, I don't give a poo poo that flamingos are found all over the world (and on some people's lawns!!).

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 8, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

cat doter posted:

For some reason ever since the "creators update" I've had two random shutdowns, which is extremely odd. It's entirely new behaviour, with the first random shutdown happening not even an hour after the update finished installing. I tried to run a game, it just hanged for a while, then shut down. It was fine for a few days, then I got another a few hours ago, which happened after I paused a youtube video. It's very bizarre.

Sounds like it could be a STOP screen. Have you checked the Event Viewer?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

cat doter posted:

There's 2 errors, both which just say "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Yeah, that's not really an error event as much as a post-error "wtf happened!?" event. Not very useful, sorry. :(

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

redeyes posted:

And on cue spergmech appears to save the thread from me... again.

Please just stop posting, I'd rather have a spergy factual fishmech post than a completely erroneous and misleading post that implies that it's somehow possible to safely operate without UAC.

spit on my clit posted:

Well that's a slightly-annoying thing. Defender gave me an action center notification for "No problems found since your last scan" (Why would anyone want this? I'm turning that off.), but I couldn't delete the message from the AC until i collapsed it. Pressing the X would do nothing until I did that.

Odd, the "we found nothing!~" message is quaint for sure, but I can usually dismiss it just fine with Clear All.

Jan fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 21, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Jan posted:

Is it actually possible to have Windows Spotlight (the randomized pictures on lock screen) without having the dumb text over it? Everything I find from searching either suggests disabling Windows Spotlight (durrr) or changing group policies which don't actually seem to achieve this.

Oh! I stumbled on something for this by accident. I have secure logon (CTRL+ALT+DEL to login) enabled at home but not at the office, and I don't have login ~tips~ at home but have them at the office. I enabled secure logon at the office since I do it by reflex anyway... No tips! :yum:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

isndl posted:

Today I got a new one: hit the keyboard to wake the PC and get the lock screen, lock screen background appears and... that's it. No text or icons, no password entry field, hitting some more keys and clicking does nothing, wave the mouse and I can see the cursor move so it's not hard-locked. Try Ctrl-Alt-Del and the password field shows up and everything's back to normal. I can see the average home user being completely stumped and being forced to hit the power button by this though.

That's weird -- it almost sounds like secure login spuriously enabled itself? What you describe is exactly what it looks like, except it does display text explaining to "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to unlock".

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Looks like the deffered Creators Update party is over -- I got asked to install it today, so I did. :toot:

The one thing that bothers me is there doesn't seem to be any way of disabling the firewall notification without disabling the security centre notifications altogether? I don't need a firewall as I already have a gentoo hardened server acting as NAT gateway and firewall. What's the best recourse here, turn firewall on but create a rule that allows everything through?

e: Straight up "Uninstall OneDrive" option -- A+ would creaturs update again. :v:

e2:

An editable/pasteable path bar in regedit :aaaaa:

Jan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 29, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

GreenNight posted:

When you click the firewall notification it brings you to a screen that has a place where you can click that says "disable alert for firewall".

Not in Creators Update, there isn't.

The only way to disable notifications is to disable the security centre altogether. Pretty sure someone brought it up not so long ago, but for the antivirus instead...

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Are you doing a shutdown instead of just throwing it in to standby a lot? A shutdown on Windows 10 dumps a bunch of stuff in to the hibernation file and pulls from that during startup. I know coming out of hibernation can be a bit of a dog and if you're hitting that with a slowish platter disk it could cause problems. A restart does a full clean initialization without the hiberfil.sys and MS is pretty much depreciating shutdowns in favor of standby.

What? Windows doesn't hibernate unless you tell it to, and hibernation is disabled by default in 10...

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

nielsm posted:

No really, "fast start-up" in Windows 10 means that the system really only shuts partially down, hibernates the rest, and then does a resume on the next boot, if possible. It just leaves itself in a state where it can still safely make a full boot in case e.g. the hardware configuration has changed.
(But a reboot is still a full reboot.)

Oh, my mistake. I didn't know Fast Startup reuses the hibernation file. I disabled that early on so probably never experienced it. :downs:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Sininu posted:

Advanced settings link in Firewall section of Security Center doesn't do anything

You can just get there from the old Firewall control panel:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Didn't redeyes get laughed out of the thread last time we had the argument about ~omfg constant uptime for work~ in this thread? Or was that someone else?

Also, wasn't that basically one month ago? It's almost as if these things get pushed once a month.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Is there a filesystem native to Windows 10 that handles large amounts of files (i.e.: millions) nicely? The middleware we're using at work generates an obscene amount of intermediate files and cleaning up the resulting folders can take hours in itself. ReFS is touted to support large amounts of data, but I can't come up with any conclusive information about large amounts of small files.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Windows 10 just served me a notification offering to change my background if it feels it's ~getting old~. It kicked me off foreground watching an Overwatch League stream...

Uh, no, gently caress off. It's just a dumb notification, but what if it had kicked me off playing Diablo 3 just as my hardcore character encounters a tough pack of elites or some poo poo?

Is this a new initiative? How can I prevent this from happening?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Klyith posted:

settings -> system -> notifications & actions

turn off the windows welcome experience, tips tricks & suggestions, cortana, and suggested

copy & paste the above into notepad, save it as "poo poo I have to do after every win10 major update.txt"
keep that handy because there's a bunch more crap to add to that list

I'm pretty sure I covered all my bases after Creators update (and Fall Creators is still deferred), but I might've missed something... I'll double check. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Anyone could make that mistake. :q:

It's okay, you can trust user input, after all, what sort of user would insert null characters in their files?