Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

diskpart.exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Disconnect the computer from internet access, and if it needs to fetch data for compute work from a network then set up a proxy allowing only that data through.

(Two advantages to this approach: No way it can download updates, and if a new vulnerability is discovered then the attack surface is minimized.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Unlikely, unless your machine is starved for CPU, or you plan on using it for other things at the same time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Is there any earthly way on Win10 to make Emulsion a default photo viewer?

The installer isn't setting up the program registration correctly to work with the default programs stuff introduced in Windows XP SP2 (2004), so no you won't get correct functionality for that. It only registers file associations the way Windows 95 (and possibly also Windows NT 3.5) did, which will almost certainly make Windows 10 go assume it's a user-hostile program trying to forcibly change user preferences, and cause it to do a reset.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

codo27 posted:

Is there a simple webcam recorder out there that will let me choose the audio input device?

I don't know if it counts as "simple", but OBS will definitely do it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Got a kind of weird request/desire: MSPaint on ancient windows, 3.1 I suppose, had a very limited colour palette. If you picked a custom skin tone for example, and paint-bucketed an area or drew with it, it would display as a sand colour with dots of red or whatever dithered to kind of make that colour. Was that a windows thing, or just an old lovely limited monitor thing?

The closest way I know to achieve this effect is just exporting dithered pngs with super limited pallettes, but that's not quite the workflow I'd want to mess with here.

Just hoping it's an old paint thing I could perhaps acquire and use now, if not, if anyone's got any ideas how to fake it with photoshop or something else, that'd be cool too.

Get pbrush.exe from Windows NT 3.51 and it should run even on the latest 64 bit Windows 10.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can use Disk2vhd to make a VHD (Virtual Harddisk file) from any connected disk or partition. Windows can natively mount VHD files as a drive too, so after you have the VHD file you can send it to someone else, they can mount it, and it'd be as if they had connected the original physical drive to their machine.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Which printer brands/product lines/models have a feature to view jobs received and their status/result?
I've see it on the Konica-Minolta MFP's we have at work, but not on the HP LaserJets. It's just really helpful in troubleshooting IMO.

Also, unrelated, yesterday I installed a printer driver from the Windows XP SP2 64 bit disc to my Windows 10 machine, the generic Epson 9-pin compatible driver, to use a vintage dot matrix printer from 1992. It works perfectly. I just need to figure out how to refresh the ink ribbon and fix the unreliable paper feed.

Edit: Wait I thought I was in the printer threat here.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 23, 2021

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Anyone on Windows 10 Pro 20H2, have issues with this being "stuck" on fast?

I keep setting it to "Semi-Annual Channel", but when I look back on it, it's set back to "Fast".

Try setting the policy to Disabled (the top part of the window) unless you actually want to get preview builds.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

Looks like they're working on fixing the thing where apps move when displayport devices disconnect, specifically during sleep: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/

This only seems to fix/workaround a specific situation: A display losing the hot-plug detect signal for a very short time (from the OS point of view) before returning again. The specific situation the blog post describes is when you put your computer to sleep, and it causes the external display to go to sleep as well, and the external display turns off the hot-plug detect when it sleeps, and the external display takes a while to wake up after the PC wakes back up from sleep. Then there is a short period of time where the pc is running and wanting to use the display, without the display having HPD enabled, and in that situation Windows usually re-organizes all the windows.
What this workaround then does is add a delay before the lost HPD is acted upon. I.e. if your display drops HPD for a short period and then returns, this workaround applies.

I don't think it will apply to the situations where the PC remains running but puts the display to sleep, and the display drops HPD while sleeping. Then it will not be a "rapid HPD" event, but a regular "slow HPD" event. I also don't think it will apply to the situation where you switch the display to a different input source, and it turns off HPD from the source you switched away from, that's also a "slow HPD" event.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Their description:
Your device (laptop or desktop) is connected to external monitors over a DisplayPort connector. Application windows are placed in certain locations on your screen.
You leave your system for some time and your device goes to sleep.
You come back and return to your system to wake your device.
The application windows have unexpectedly moved to a different location of the monitor (sometimes clustered on one screen).

I have highlighted the central thing I base my theory on. The fact that your device (i.e. computer) goes to sleep means that time stops passing for the OS while the device is sleeping, and it will not monitor the hot-plug detect signal while the device is asleep. When the device wakes up, the HPD signal is lost for a short period of time while the computer is awake but the display is not fully awake.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sarr posted:

I need some help goons.

I have a relatively fresh Win 10 install on my PC (20H2 Build 19042.928). I also have a NAS on a LAN that I use mainly for Plex. Every night around 2AM Windows Defender goes nuts using absurd amounts of network capacity. I thought maybe it just wanted to scan all the files once but it never ends. Anyone know how I can stop this? I have tried setting up exceptions for the NAS under real-time protection but it did nothing. I also tried changing active hours but it didn't help.

Check the Performance tab to see if it's actually sending traffic out on your physical network interface. Maybe it's just using a localhost or virtual interface to do something.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dylan16807 posted:

I can't find a source right now but I believe that fix will only apply to monitors turning on and off within a few seconds of the computer going to sleep or waking up. If you manually turn just your screens off everything will still go wrong.

That source might be me arguing that understanding in this thread.
The RHPD is (Rapid Hot Plug) Detect, not Rapid (Hot Plug Detect). It's about an unplug and reattach event pair happening rapidly, and detecting that to avoid I'll effects.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If Windows stops being 10, does that mean maybe someone else can finally take this horrible thread off my hands???
(I'm still hoping for someone to pick up and reboot it.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Run "powercfg /requests" as administrator on the command prompt.

Nah that's processes that prevent power saving modes, those don't prevent shutdown.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Use a "full screen" feature in the program you use. If a program makes a full screen window, and is in the foreground, then the taskbar will put itself behind it and stay out of sight.

Otherwise yes, the taskbar is designed to be always visible so it can't "get lost".
I'm not sure I understand exactly what the situation you describe is. Do you mean that a program is calling for attention by flashing its taskbar button (because it has a window it wants to display)? Yes that will show the taskbar, because the program is calling for attention. If you don't like programs calling for your attention then stop running those programs.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 3, 2021

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My best other suggestion then is to kill explorer.exe when you need focus time, so you lose the taskbar and any File Explorer windows. Task Manager has a File > Run command you can use to restart it when needed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Well, it may be a moot point because I just tried to install from disc and there are 10 partitions on this system, all of which say that Windows can't be installed on them. 9 of them are too small regardless, but even the hundreds of gb partition says that Windows cannot be installed there as it is 'of the GPT partition style', which I have never heard of. I am able to delete most of these partitions, but not sure if I should.

If it says it can't install because it's GPT-partition style, then you booted the installer disc in BIOS mode instead of UEFI mode. If your system can at all do UEFI, that's by far preferable. (It can, because otherwise it wouldn't be running on a GPT-partitioned install right now.)

Figure out how to make your machine boot off the DVD in UEFI mode, instead of in BIOS-compatibility mode.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That depends on the softphone used. What do they use to make/take calls?
In Microsoft Teams it's possible to configure a secondary ringing device, i.e. another audio device that will also play the ringing sound. Other telephony software should have something similar, where you can choose the device for ringing separate from the device for speak.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Otherwise, if the software can't be configured for it, consider getting a speakerphone device. Try making the workplace pay. I know several in my org have good success with the Jabra Speak series, and Poly also have similar devices.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Anyone know a way I can have Windows automatically mute when I unplug my laptop, and unmute when I plug it back in?

Unplug the power, unplug an audio cable, or unplug some docking station/port replicator, or what?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Unplug from power.

There definitely isn't something built-in that will do it for you, without some fiddling. It would probably be possible to set up something with scheduled tasks that run when the power state of the machine changes, and then run a program that checks whether to mute/unmute.
Regardless, you'd also need to decide what would happen e.g. if you plugged in, muted manually, unplugged, plugged back it, should it then stay muted, or unmute? What if you manually unmuted, and maybe re-muted, while it was running on battery, should it then stay muted? And what happens when you have multiple audio devices, say some wireless headphones.
It's definitely doable, but there are a lot of edge cases to consider.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It may have been a good idea on Windows XP, it's not an issue on Windows 7 and later, if you're moving the install. It's still a good idea if you're cloning the install.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Settings, the Update and Security category, there should be a Restore page or something with the Reset function. That does an in-place reinstall but keeps most of your profile and installed stuff.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

Windows remote assistance. Windows remote assistance has 2 paths: if you both use MS accounts you can basically do it automatically through that, or the manual path where your dad can email a file to you. You just double click the file and you will connect to your dad's PC (on the other end he'll get a UAC prompt asking if the connection is ok).

Alternately, chrome remote desktop if you both use chrome and are in the google ecosystem.

Actually you should rather use Quick Assist, it's a much more straightforward setup than the older Remote Assistance system.
As the assistant, you get a numeric code you just read through the phone, and then you get connected.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If it's currently running Windows 7 it's likely a years-old install. A clean install, where Windows 10 creates its own partitions etc., will be a much faster business in itself, and the OS will run faster and more reliably than an in-place upgrade.

This, tbh. Ideally you'd refurbish the machines with a new SSD, do a fresh Windows 10 install on that, and then move the old hard drive to an external enclosure. That also removes the stress of having to ensure everything is backed up before starting.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Windows restore points are for fixing issues caused by bad driver or software installs/changes, not cleaning up malicious infections.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

ctrl+win+enter to start Narrator and try to navigate through everything blind?

Adding on to this, the keystrokes to select Shut Down will be something like:
Win, Tab, Down x5, Space, Down x1, Enter

The exact number of Down presses will depend on your setup, so you will need Narrator to tell you where you are right now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ctrl + Shift + V?

Only works if the application supports it.

The actual answer involves some explaining about how the Windows clipboard works. When you copy something to the clipboard, first of all sometimes it might not actually make a copy right then and there, but rather just set a flag on the clipboard that "I own the data on the clipboard, and can supply it on request". (It also is possible for the source application to put an actual copy of the data on the clipboard, it just isn't a requirement.) Second, is that the clipboard can actually contain multiple formats at once. MS Excel might be one of the best examples: When you copy a range of cells in Excel, it just marks those cells as "currently involved in copying", and then marks on the clipboard that it's able to supply data in Excel format, in plain text format, in RTF format, in HTML format, and as a bitmap image. When you then paste into something else, the destination application has to choose which of those formats it wants to fetch. For example, if you paste into Word it might make an embedded Excel object by default, but also let you choose to paste as a rich text table instead. If you paste into Notepad it'll paste as plain text. If you paste into a web browser on Gmail it'll paste as an HTML table. If you paste in Paint it'll paste an image of it. In each of those cases, Excel is doing the format conversion to the target format, not the receiving application.
What happens then is that some applications will understand Ctrl-Shift-V as a way to select that you want to paste the plain text format instead of whatever default preferred format the application otherwise selects.

(Hint, based on the above: Don't make screenshots of Excel sheets. Copy the cell range you want a picture of, paste into some image editor, then save the image from there. It'll generally look better, and avoid some ugliness that can come with screenshots!)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pixel-peeping on that screenshot, your File Explorer window is definitely proper high-DPI. It's been rendered in the native resolution with sized-up fonts etc.