Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

redeyes posted:

Remember the old days when it was supposed to be a thing that windows would update in the background and not require a reboot for most updates? :argh:

Ah yes, the old days when every Patch Tuesday downloaded 10 billion separate updates, and if one broke poo poo, you had to uninstall every one individually until you found the problematic one.

Also, no, I don’t, because almost every update required a restart anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

redeyes posted:

If you are used to nix gently sliiiide that UAC control up to the tippy top.

I did that, then also required a password and Ctrl+Alt+Del on top of that, and blocked standard users from elevating. My admin accounts are now effectively wheel accounts. I should also run a scheduled task to kill admin shells or Task Manager if they’re idle for too long.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ofecks posted:

I'm 2 patches behind currently. :ohdear: x 1000000000000000

Welcome to the Android Ecosystem Experience. To exit the Experience, simply present your Pixel or iPhone to the attendant.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

So WSL2 is just docker?

No, that’s WSL1. WSL2 is just Hyper-V.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Well, this is the second time in a row I’ve had to do a clean install to get the new version. Last time, it errored out after rebooting. This time, it took four hours before the first reboot, then took ten minutes to start up, and went to the Advanced Startup Options page instead of Setup. Meanwhile, a clean install took less time than the time it took to create the USB stick. And yes, I disconnected all my other drives and card readers before trying to upgrade, even the internal ones. This wouldn’t be so bad, except that setting up my development environments takes forever.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I wish there was a key combo in Windows for the left and right quotation marks like there is in macOS, iOS, and Android. On Windows, you have to enable a registry setting to enter Unicode code points with the Alt and Plus keys, remember the code points for the characters, and hope the program you’re using doesn’t think you’re trying to use a shortcut.

CubanMissile posted:

And the first few hits are gonna be generic windows advice which leads up to an ad for PC cleanup software.

Don’t forget the Microsoft forum post about your exact problem, with the Best Answer being a useless form response and two or three other responses that amount to, “Yup, that sure is a problem you have there.”

Also, a thread from some random tech forum that may or may not be related to your problem that has been stolen and copied verbatim about 20 times.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 31, 2019

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I was worried Dell might not be happy about getting rid of their service software if I did ultimately decide to try and replace the laptop.

They do not care. They will wipe the drive the moment they get the computer.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Last I checked, HDDs also do sequential writes faster and don’t wear down with repeated writes as much as SSDs do (if at all), which makes them better for surveillance and other continuous A/V recording tasks. They probably also retain data for longer in cold storage, but I would still prefer BD-Rs for that purpose.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

PirateBob posted:

"The service luafv cannot start because of the following error:
The driver is blocked from loading."

You turned off UAC, didn’t you? That’s normally what that error normally means.

The DCOM errors are usually harmless. Every system has them, and they are almost impossible to make go away.

PirateBob posted:

I don't have a wireless keyboard. It's a cabled USB one. :confused:

That would explain why the driver failed to load. Try uninstalling it from Device Manager and deleting the drivers when prompted, but have an on-screen keyboard up in case something goes horribly wrong. Or just ignore it; it’s probably unimportant.

PirateBob posted:

What is UWP (failure)?

If one of the Windows Store apps doesn’t work. If you aren’t having that problem, then ignore those errors.

All in all, I agree that it’s probably a one-off. The SMB and other file-sharing drivers are still kernel-mode, and they are known to not be the most reliable pieces of code.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Hipster_Doofus posted:

So I have noticed. What's up with that? It boggles my mind that there is apparently no such thing as an install that doesn't have them, not even a brand spanking new one. There are also a few other errors/types of errors that also seem to be all but ubiquitous (can't remember any of them off the top of my head).

I actually looked into fixing the permissions, and the DCOM permissions are protected by Windows Resource Protection. You can’t fix them through the Component Browser without going to the correct key in the Registry, taking ownership, and giving Administrators full control. Good luck figuring out which registry keys you need to fix.

I imagine this is a case of a programmer adding in a bunch of references to things they think they need to use early in development. They end up not needing those things and never remove the now-defunct references, which leads to errors the program doesn’t care about when it half-initializes things.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://twitter.com/panos_panay/status/1172196805208993797

Anyone know what that windows logo looking like that could be a hint of?

That their marketing department is doing a good job at making you curious.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

baka kaba posted:

If you're doing something fullscreen like bideo james though you might get silent failures at any point

Also it looks like they've changed it to include protected memory access too? That used to be a separate setting and that caused me problems with virtualisation (I couldn't install/update Intel's HAXM thing, just got unhelpful failures until I disabled that)

If protected memory is a Hyper-V thing, then no, HAXM will not work, because Hyper-V still doesn’t pass through virtualization extensions, even in Domain 0.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Last I looked at DTS in the store, it said it needed a preview release of Windows. Did that change?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

My CMOS battery died before my computer decided to update, so Windows took 15 minutes to start up while it tried to figure out what time it is.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Oh, come on, this computer is only five years old.

It’s fine, guys.

Really.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

hooah posted:

Can I upgrade from Home to Pro without having to reinstall everything? I just learned that Docker won't run on Home and it'd be nice to be able to do dev stuff on my laptop as well as my desktop.

Yes; just change the product key in settings and it will work automagically.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

hooah posted:

Hmm, the settings dialog isn't accepting the key I bought from the SA-mart guy.

Try it by running slui.exe directly. If that doesn’t work, open a shell and try running the command dism /online /Set-Edition:Professional /AcceptEula /ProductKey:<product_key>. Finally, you can try using the placeholder key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T first, then after the upgrade, change the key to the real key. Be sure to back up just in case your key is no good.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Explorer has always been poo poo since Windows 98. It’s just varying degrees of shittiness depending on which patch you have and what bug-ridden piece of poo poo extensions are installed. (And they’re all bug-ridden pieces of poo poo. Every single one.)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I turn it off on the printers, then I manually add them in Windows using their IPP addresses.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This reminds me, we had a server that had some weirdly named files on it's NTFS partition created by a virus. We just could not get them removed with any Windows tools.

Boot Linux, mount partition with NTFSG3 and it deleted them with no problems. Sometimes you just want stuff to just work.

Prefixing the path with \\?\ works most of the time from the command line.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Oh, I forgot that you also have to disable case insensitivity in Security Policy.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Rinkles posted:

just noticed that, as far as i can tell, you can no longer hide filenames in explorer.

it made photo folders a bit easier to browse.

Now, if they would just turn off hiding extensions….

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

namlosh posted:

Look in the View part of the explorer menu ribbon. They actually made this easier in the latest version (2004). You used to have to go to “Folder Options”

Yeah, but that won’t help keep grandma from opening CuteKittens.jpg.exe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Remember when an upgrade deleted any moved profile folders by accident and had to get pulled?