Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

2+ the internal. Is this so insane?

I am going to assume the third unstated monitor is a 1080p monitor.

You are running a 3000x2000 display, a 3440x1440 display, and a 1920x1080 display off of a single device with 1 GB of discrete VRAM (assuming you have the Surface Book model with the nVidia GPU and not the Intel GPU). How are you expecting to not run into issues? This is like riding your dog to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

Well that's interesting. In less than 24 hours, my system has generated a 14GB log file in C:\Windows\Temp.

:stare: Can you tell us more about the log file? What's the name and extension of it? Is it in C:\Windows\Temp or deeper in a subdirectory? Look through Task Scheduler.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Factor Mystic posted:

Local contacts is super dumb and extremely susceptible to loss

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Well, that doesn't help much if it's an old machine where the motherboard isn't really produced anymore...

Microsoft tends to be pretty good about phone activations in situations like these from what I've heard.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Khablam posted:

there is functionally no reason to hold off on the upgrade

ftfy

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Klyith posted:

I'm fine with payment in free services.
Not as fine with Win10's free upgrade! being more like "rent with the option to buy".

What? It's a free digital entitlement generated from a license key. It's a legitimate, full copy of Windows. This comment makes no sense.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
lmao if you use classic shell on windows 10, just lol

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

So did this do anything other than make you reinstall Windows?

It doesn't even do that. It just nukes your MBR, which is an easy enough fix if you have install media. As far as I understand it if you're using GPT (which you should) this can't touch you.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ugh, I just downloaded audacity yesterday. Is the malware something that'd show on Defender/Malwarebytes?

Not yet. Make a recovery USB (you should already have made one) and reboot. If you're using GPT/EFI (you probably are if your computer is relatively new and you didn't upgrade from 7) the malware can't touch you. If you're using MBR you can run the install media and recover the MBR that way.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

The site's feature list and screenshots leave me with the impression that the primary user base is people who grew up with Windows XP/2000 and somehow decided it was the golden era of computing that should never have evolved in the decades since.

there's a surprisingly large number of people like this, many of whom tout themselves as experts, who also do utterly retarded poo poo like disable UAC

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Never mind

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Oh wow, just found out by chance that Anniversary Edge does hardware decoded VP9 on my Nvidia 960, no biggie.
Eat poo poo and die Chrome as soon as someone bothers to port uBlock Origin proper

uBlock Origin is the only thing keeping me on Chrome

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Edge in Anneversary Update Windows 10 is great. It's built on Chrome so porting extensions from that should be easy. Once uBlock Origin, Disconnect, and HTTPS Everywhere inevitably make it onto the browser it'll be what I recommend to everyone. Right now Edge's biggest problem is the negative perception it has from its association with Internet Explorer.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

chippy posted:

Do you have a source for this?

Ah, I was inaccurate. It's not built on Chrome but it is meant to be a Webkit-workalike. From Wikipedia:

quote:

EdgeHTML is meant to be fully compatible with the WebKit layout engine used by Chrome and other browsers. Microsoft has stated that "any Edge-WebKit differences are bugs that we’re interested in fixing."

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

It's not "built on Chrome"; the extension engine is compatible but the actual browser engine is much cleaner.

Yeah I realize that now, I was inaccurate in that post. It's meant to be a workalike, I guess sort of like how GNU/Linux is a workalike of Unix.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Last Chance posted:

Lot of details missing from this blog post, for instance:

Does this work when the moon isn't full?

How old do the lambs you're sacrificing have to be, exactly? "Young" isn't descriptive enough.

A waxing gibbous or half moon will do in a pinch. Bad Things happen if you attempt this on a new moon.

We haven't figured out exactly how young the goats need to be, partially because the parameters for this seem to change. We've seen the most success with billy goats born under the Scorpio, Pisces, or Cancer constellations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Klyith posted:

Does it at least have tabs natively? That's all I really want from Explorer 2.0, I don't need Derek Smart's Desktop Commander.

Hopefully someone makes a third party file explorer called that. Bonus points if they don't have Derek Smart's permission to use his name.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
You're all reaping what you sow. All of you dumbasses who put off updating Windows until it's too late, who constantly ignored warnings, who kept using Windows 7 RTM in 2015. Windows isn't loving around anymore, and since you're too fussy to swallow the pill you're getting your medicine rectally. You brought this upon yourselves.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arsten posted:

Enabling Windows update is like sleeping unwrapped with a prostitute every night. You never know whether you'll catch hepatitis or HIV.

your a bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arsten posted:

I've been insulted. On the internet. By a poster with poor opinions.

Verily, I am injured.

you compared disabling a critical part of information security to preventing the spread of STDs, you have no license to say I have poor opinions

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arsten posted:

If you had an understanding of English, you could have picked out the relatively simple concept that the reference to "0-Day" was quite obviously used to mark the immediate download and installation of windows updates on the day they were available. Which is exactly what Windows Update does. Note that this is without organized QA, so a lot of problem updates have been released.

except "0-day" is clearly meant to refer to vulnerabilities for which patches haven't been released for yet, hence the term "0-day" meaning that users have had zero days to prepare for an attack.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

Forced SECURITY updates. Security. There has been a separate category for important updates (of which the majority are security) for a goddamn decade and, just like a bunch of other functionality, they somehow lost the ability to distinguish between vital poo poo that protects the collective population of the internet and poo poo that there is no reason to prevent people from vetting for themselves.

Of course people are going to turn off all updates if updates start breaking their personal machines. Microsoft doesn't want security, they want control, otherwise they'd give up some control to ensure more people got the security.

heh yeah man screw micro$oft, hold on gotta install this patch for zonealarm then im gonna rip this avril lavigne album with winamp

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

dexter6 posted:

Just got windows 10 up and running on a computer for a non-profit I volunteer with...but haven't installed windows for about 15 years.

Do I need to have an antivirus / anti-spyware / anti-malware tool(s) installed? If so, what are the free options?

No. Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender, which is probably the best anti-virus out there all around. Anti-Virus programs are ineffective at best and harmful at worst. No major security flaws have been found with Defender, which isn't anything that can be said about any of its competitors.

To protect yourself from vulnerabilities you should employ "common sense" tactics: keep your operating system and software updated, run an ad blocker (ublock origin is great and available on most browsers), use unique passwords for all of your different accounts, etc.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Last Chance posted:

FIGHT, FIGHT!!

Jerry, Jerry!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Don't pay for av.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
You can stop mbam from running on startup and kill the nag that way. Given that MBAM for Mac and ADWCleaner don't have the same issues I'd have to say I'd rather they get bought out by mbam than any AV firm.

TronScript looks nice but there's a whole :rolleyes: section about how the telemetry is :supaburn: SPYWARE :supaburn: and how you must disable it in order to make the system secure.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 28, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

This is the best part of W8/8.1/10

this, but also Reset This PC and the new task manager

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This, but also the new task switcher and window snapping.

new task switcher and window snapping are great but weren't in 8/8.1

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Med School posted:

If there's a better place to post this, I will, but I thought I would post this here. I'm running Windows 10 home edition. I want to install steam just to play final fantasy 7, and then never play anything else from steam pretty much. Is it possible just to install steam for the one game and then shut off all the updates and whatnot from here on out?

Thanks for reading, friends!

(I just don't want steam to take over my laptop and make it slower day by day, until I finally bite the bullet and have to buy another one. Again! gently caress!)

Steam isn't going to infect your computer or slow it down.

You can set it to not start on boot. Most games on Steam require Steam to run since they use Steam for their copy protection, but Final Fantasy 7 might not. If it doesn't, you can just run FF7 directly and never touch Steam. If it requires Steam to run, you can run Steam in Offline Mode, so it doesn't download updates or phone home but can still run the game.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Icept posted:

Is that for testers or did they seriously push that out to everyone?

I'm running the mainline Windows 10 and I have it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

fishmech posted:

Go to its folder on the hard drive, and delete it.

It's not clear where Windows Store apps are stored. By default, you want C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\. \WindowsApps\ is a hidden directory, and users (not even admin users) don't have permissions to it, so you'll need to give yourself permissions by right-clicking on the directory, going into the security tab, and assigning yourself permissions there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

jokes posted:

There used to be a good metro style Google chrome app back in Win8 but they got rid of it I guess. Does anyone know of a good metro style internet browser? Does edge allow for metro style ui?

If you're referring to "full screen, touch friendly" you'll probably want Edge with Tablet Mode turned on.