Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We're moving to Windows 10 laptops at work that I'll need to set up, and while I can probably get the start menu amended by our IT department for future OS images, it would be a massive time saver for now if I can manually customise the start menu to a standard template without having to delete or add every individual tile, is that possible? Is there a file or folder that I can just copy over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Yes. Your IT dept can look up how to manage the start menu via Powershell, exporting and importing layout as an xml document.

Start menu done and xml exported, thanks!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

dud root posted:

I never understood what this actually means. Windows 10: TYOOL2042 ?

Pretty much; it's the OSX model. Even if you make some fairly sweeping changes under the hood, people are far more likely to upgrade if it's just a service pack, plus you don't have to maintain multiple OSes. People are pretty strident about sticking to Windows 7, but no-one objected to installing service pack 1. So it shall be with 10.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Desktop updated fine, Surface says that it can't install right now because other updates are in progress. I have no idea what those are, but it doesn't seem to be downloading or installing anything that I can see.

The updates to Edge are neat; pinned tabs are super useful, and the current selection of extensions is promising, so I'm going to give it a whirl as my daily driver for a bit. I tried before but it just wasn't ready for prime time; it looks much more complete now (I can actually choose where downloads go now, such luxury!), although we'll see if it dies a slow and horrible death still when you open more than ten tabs.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Edge extensions work great, but can be a bugger to install. They kept failing to install and needed to be completely removed and reinstalled, but once that was done they worked just as well as on Chrome.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Edge no longer slows to a loving crawl when you open too many tabs; I'm up to 20 and it's still fine. It was so half-baked when it was released, so it's great to see that they've actually made substantial improvements over the past year.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The new UAC window is weird, primarily because it doesn't use your theme colour. I guess they want it to be noticeable?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've uninstalled Avast, but I can't turn on Defender - an error message pops up after a couple of seconds saying the service has been turned off, and Defender itself says that another AV is handling protection. Any idea how I can fix that? I've run CCleaner and disk cleanup to try to hoover up any stray files and restarted the system, but nothing so far.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Edit: Forget what I said, I may well just need to buy a Bluetooth adaptor that isn't total dogshit.

Khablam posted:

It doesn't properly uninstall leaving windows to assume it's running, and defender won't start. You need to grab their removal tool and run it. Pick every product and hit remove just in case.

Yep, that worked thanks. Although it recommended running Windows in safe mode, except the uninstaller wouldn't start in safe mode, so I just ran it normally. :shrug:

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 6, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

baka kaba posted:

I suppose the software thread is better for recommends, but is it actually worth installing things from the Microsoft store? I've never even bothered opening it, does it have better versions of anything? Applications that update themselves automatically even if you don't open them, so it acts like a package manager?

It's useful for getting desktop notifications for things like Facebook if you log in, and Weather is an obvious one that's quicker to click than going to your browser. I also do podcasts and IRC through UWPs, because they're simple enough use cases that they're much slicker to install and run than desktop apps.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is anything needed to tie the W10 installs to your account, or does it just happen automatically with the anniversary update?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Volguus posted:

I have made at least 100 MS accounts over the years, for whenever I needed something that made me make one. I have no idea what the username is for any of them, and if the password is anything more than 1234 (and I'm sure they all made me do something more complicated ... 'cause security) I don't know it. Windows install to be tied though to one of those accounts ... ughh, I guess I'll do it if I get the upgrade when I'm changing the MB, but gently caress if I'm going to remember it for more than 5 minutes.

So do you make a new something awful account every time you need to log in, or, what?

Also why do you not need to make a new google account every time you log in if you forget your credentials every five minutes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The whole point of Live is to roll those into one. Bing, Xbox, Outlook, Windows, OneDrive, MSDN, etc all work off a single Live login now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Volguus posted:

Do you make a facebook account whenever some lovely website wants you to? And keep it and use it? I don't (keep it and use it). Making an account is a 5 minutes thing on most websites, therefore making 100 of them to be thrown away is perfectly fine. And yes, I do provide fake names on them.

What? Nobody does this you maniac. Just make one account and keep it. It you forget the password, do a reset, which is quicker than re-registering.

And who goes through a million burner accounts with fake names for everything, then sets up a loving Google account of all things? :psyduck:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm playing DS1 myself, so I can check in a few hours to see if mine dies on me too.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I looked at the help page for the digital license and it had this to say:

quote:

How You Got Windows 10
You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1: Digital license

You bought genuine Windows 10 from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10: Digital license

You bought a Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10 :Digital license

You’re a Windows Insider and upgraded to the newest Windows 10 Insider Preview build on an eligible device that was running an activated previous version of Windows and Windows 10 Preview: Digital license

So the digital entitlement is officially a full license tied to your account, same as a paid copy. Which is pretty god drat great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, anniversary edition Edge is a big step up in terms of performance, and is far ahead of Chrome for touch devices. It needs more extensions, but getting adblock and lastpass right out of the gate was a good move.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

marauderthirty posted:

It seems like the free upgrade does still work. I'm just not entirely sure that I would be able to migrate the OS to a new machine like that. I am planning on using my existing HDD in the new computer, but I'm also buying an SSD and would like to have the OS load from that. Also I've heard that the OS is tied to the original motherboard.

The free upgrade is added as a digital license to your Microsoft account, so as long as you use one of those to log in to your PC then you can presumably remove your old PC from the license then activate on the new one.

I know I have the digital license but I am only assuming you can transfer it between machines in that manner as I haven't done it myself yet, so you might want to confirm that before committing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OgNar posted:

e: You know I dont think I have used that way to shut down since 98. Completely forgot about it.

drat, son, the Alt+F4 mashathon is my favorite way to end the work day.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Speaking of Edge, is that getting webm support any time soon?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

I like to think of it as "here you go, you animals" because it's clearly there to mollify people who have been taught by their garbage antivirus to expect messages about how they were protected from 207143 threats this week.

Yeah, now that I've gotten rid of Avast it's nice how unobtrusive Defender has been. Not constantly nagging me about stuff or trying to sell me things or really making its presence heard at all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The license is added to your Microsoft account rather than you getting a new key, so you're probably out of luck there. I don't know if it's possible to activate using your Microsoft account but still use a local account to log in?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I believe that going forward Windows won't reinstall them after updates since everyone called them out on that horseshit, so just get rid of them and that should be that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Where is that screenshot actually from? I'd like to think that is a first pass to show that it's up and running before stuffing everything back in and tidying up the layout. It looks like a placeholder, especially the way the folder address is written. No way in hell is that final.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On my Lumia (running the W10 anniversary update), I can mark pictures in the Photo app as favourites and have the live tile cycle through those favourites. On desktop I can do neither. Is that not a thing on desktop? It should be a thing on desktop.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Klyith posted:

I got really used to leaving stuff around, like text in notepad that was unsaved because I wasn't going to save it but was notes for things I was doing. Ever since XP this is how I've used my PC, going for weeks between reboots.

That is literally what OneNote is for, since it auto-saves constantly. You can also pin programs to the taskbar and Start for quick access, and pin files to those programs for quick access.

I can appreciate wanting to retain the current state of your system or keep work running, but there are a bunch of time savers like these precisely so that you don't need to keep your system on constantly, and even if you leave it on overnight as a matter of course, there really isn't any excuse anymore for not making time once a week to let Windows reboot and install updates.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Something keeps disabling AdBlock in Edge; is there any way of telling what? About the dodgiest site I go on is mangareader, so I'm at a loss. Defender and Malwarebytes are turning up nothing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've got a weird issue with my monitors whereby my main monitor (miniDP) is showing as #1 in settings and is set as my main monitor, but my secondary monitor (DVI) is still being registered by a lot of programs as the main monitor (generally under their settings for which monitor to target). For example, Steam changes my primary monitor to the secondary one when entering big picture mode, because it thinks that that is the main one. Is there a quick fix for that or am I best off going to the tech support subforum?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nope, primary is on the left, is identified as monitor 1 and is set as main. It's a minor annoyance mainly, but it's a minor annoyance across every program where I need to mess about with monitors.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Boz0r posted:

Can I replace Win + F with a search again, instead of the stupid feedback window?

Or you could just hit Start then begin typing, like every Windows since 7?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

isndl posted:

First thing I would check is the power supply. A straight GPU problem would usually be throwing blue screens and event log errors, but if the power supply is dying under load it would cause a brownout and the system would reset as described.

Would that also be true for the system occasionally hard locking, with no indication of any issue in Event Viewer? It's usually while playing a game, but not always. If so, is there any way to tell or would I just need to buy a new PSU and see how it fares?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

Defender turns itself off when it detects another AV. It's pretty much the consensus nowadays(at least here at SA) that Defender is superior to aftermarket AV's due to the latter being security risks.

What's the reasoning behind this? Genuinely curious. Also, what actually is best security practice?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

this, but also Reset This PC and the new task manager

This, but also the new task switcher and window snapping.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

jokes posted:

There used to be a good metro style Google chrome app back in Win8 but they got rid of it I guess. Does anyone know of a good metro style internet browser? Does edge allow for metro style ui?

Chrome Metro was exactly the same as Chrome desktop but fullscreen to account for Windows 8 not quite having worked out the whole hybrid desktop/tablet thing like 10 did.

But yeah, just use Edge. If you've kept 10 updated then it's actually been improved a lot since release and is good enough to use as a daily driver.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Settings > Reset My PC.

It reinstalls the OS. Choose to wipe all files and it's a full reinstall, choose to keep files and it's like doing an upgrade install.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

None of those are apps, they're all desktop programs or components.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Facebook events aren't showing in the Calendar app on any of my Windows 10 devices - is that likely to be a Facebook issue, or Windows? It'll be a right pain if I have to go back to adding them manually.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Edge still has some weird/annoying quirks, but fair play to Microsoft, they have definitely been squirelling away at it over the past couple of years. I remember when Windows 10 came out and anything more than ten tabs would make it poo poo its brains out.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The interface is good and clean for touch users too. It doesn't seem to have picked up any extensions since launch, really, but after ad block, pinterest and auto translate I'm not sure what I even used extensions for in Chrome either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Boy, the Creators update really did a number on my display, first with the screen failing to display at all, then turning into a kaleidoscope of digital static, then only refreshing the screen in games when they weren't in focus, and now it seems to have settled down to normality apart from a couple of games suddenly having some horrendous screen tearing. I may have to reinstall my graphics driver, see if that fixes it.

I thought something was going to be off when the welcome screen at the end of the update process was offset by a hundred pixels and spilling onto my second monitor, and I wasn't wrong.