Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Just to be clear: The upgrade will never kick off without my explicit action, right? I have an old Core 2 that's been approved for the update but its motherboard is even further out of support than my Sandy Bridge (which got through fine) and I'm almost sure the Core 2 doesn't have Windows 8 drivers for a lot of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

nielsm posted:

If you have said yes to reserve, then it will upgrade automatically!

If you have "reserved" and don't want to upgrade just yet, go and cancel the reservation.
Thanks! I've been debating scrapping the machine anyway but as a file server it's one of those things I only apply security updates to.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I should mention that when I got that new license it was after a weeks-long e-mail chain and then more time as the Vista disc fell between my inner and outer door :downs:

Unless you get locked out of Windows I'd say just chill.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has anyone had any luck fixing the lock screen customization bug? It doesn't bother me too much as by definition I never see it for more than a few seconds, but it's something so simple that I feel like it should be a quick resolution.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hitze posted:

What are you talking about?
No matter what I set as my lock screen image and app info I get the same default image and zero information. I had the image synced via my MS account if that makes any difference.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does the "No auto-restart with logged in users" group policy work as advertised on Pro? I'm BitLockering over 2TB right now and don't need that being interrupted.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Does the GPO for setting Windows Update behavior still work in Pro under Anniversary? I don't want to not update, but I woke up this morning to a rebooted computer, and I'd prefer to be able to shut down things I'm running before Windows pulls the rug out from under me. It seems that in Anniversary, the best you can do via the Settings panel is tell it not to reboot during one half of the day.
I set the "No auto-restart with logged in users for scheduled automatic updates installations" and it didn't install any updates from this Patch Tuesday until I specifically told it to, but I was running BitLocker on a new drive and that might have blocked it. I haven't used GPO to dictate update behaviour until 1607.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yeah, I tried that out yesterday, and today there was a Defender update that was begging for attention. Hrm. Hopefully the "Configure Automatic Updates" setting by itself will do the trick.
Defender updates shouldn't apply but I recall one being held up too? My main issue with rebooting is that a) this PC is a media server to other devices in the home b) might sit on a torrent for days at a time and c) has TPM + PIN BitLocker so a reboot is effectively a shutdown if I don't initiate it myself.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Segmentation Fault posted:

uBlock Origin is the only thing keeping me on Chrome
NoScript keeps me on Firefox for anything other than trusted sites, but I just really like breaking everyone's tracking scripts. Edge + uBlock and LastPass is going to be great.

Also it still runs all extensions in Private mode. It would be nice to toggle LastPass / etc off in that case but I'm not about to install Chrome.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This is typical Microsoft, but the Firefox bookmark work-around I found was to import them to IE first then into Edge.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Segmentation Fault posted:

Edge in Anneversary Update Windows 10 is great. It's built on Chrome so porting extensions from that should be easy. Once uBlock Origin, Disconnect, and HTTPS Everywhere inevitably make it onto the browser it'll be what I recommend to everyone. Right now Edge's biggest problem is the negative perception it has from its association with Internet Explorer.
It's not "built on Chrome"; the extension engine is compatible but the actual browser engine is much cleaner.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Skarsnik posted:

on a whim I just tried installing 10 on an old laptop using a win 7 key, it accepted it and activated fine
Yeah that worked for me two days after the deadline and saved me almost $200. It's an open secret.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hooah posted:

I don't get the Explorer popup any more, but I'm now seeing the Notification thing pretty often. Almost always when I wake the computer, sometimes more than once, and occasionally if it's just sitting there not doing anything. Any other ideas, or am I going to have to refresh Windows?
Are you sure your HDD is spinning up fast enough when you wake the PC?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hooah posted:

I dunno, but my storage drive isn't set to G; nothing ever is, as far as I can tell. I tried plugging a flash drive into all my front USB ports (rears are a pain to get to whole the machine's on) and it was always the same letter.
Some piece of software is definitely looking for G:\, so you could try running Process Explorer or Handle to find out which one it is.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

All those tools are great and I've been using them since XP.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Want to be even more pissed off at Windows 10's update schedule? The phone OS maps Active Hours to the complement of Quiet Hours, which can give you ranges like 0500-2300. Sucks on the weekend though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

isndl posted:

Win10 did its forced reboot thing yesterday and now the Mail app force-closes after being open anywhere from four to ten seconds. :downs:

I had that happen with Groove on my oldest machine except it closed instantly. Wasn't able to fix it but the thing is basically an expensive file server so... eh. Do Store apps have Event Log equivalents?