Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hey guys, posted this in the 10 preview thread, but didn't get anywhere with it.

I got the rollout notification, figured "what the hell", backed up my 7 environment, and did an in-place upgrade so I wouldn't have to reinstall all my poo poo.

Everything is working pretty well, still getting used to some of it... but my big issue is this: all of my Start Menu icons are blanks/generics. Any way to rebuild my start menu icons?

The new apps show up fine, but everything else is affected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

dpbjinc posted:

Try using Disk Cleanup and selecting Thumbnails, then log out and back in.

No luck :(

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

ElrondHubbard posted:

Have you tried throwing some rice over your shoulder, restarting the computer 5 times in a row, then saying a prayer to Gates?

That or unpinning then repinning the programs in the start menu (right click on them)?

Gave that a shot too - the unpinning and re-pinning - with no love.

Oddly enough, when I use something like Stardock's Start10 start menu replacement, it loads all the icons correctly.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

d0s posted:

Got my Subox, a world of difference compared to my EVOD2

But I'm using the EVOD tip because the weird barrel thing really sucks, it's ugly but works much better

What's a good US-based site to order replacement (1.5 ohm) coils from?

Where does the SSD go?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Jan posted:

The Start Menu is managed using a service, with a database and poo poo. That database has been notoriously lovely for me, with fun issues like permanently becoming unable to detect start menu changes, even after a reboot.

The database is located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\TileDataLayer\Database. The services using that database are "Tile Data model server" and "State Repository Service". They're constantly using the database, so there's no way to delete or rename it while it's in use. You can seemingly stop the services using services.msc, but they start right back up (within a second) and then refuse to be stopped again. They can be killed by using the task manager, look for appmodel under Windows processes. But, again, they'll start right back up.

Try this first, though it seems like killing the processes is still necessary.

If you're lucky, you might be able to kill the processes, rename or delete the database folder before Windows starts it back up. If you're unlucky, you might need to create a second user with Administrative rights and kill the services before deleting the database from your main user. It seems as though it doesn't hold on to the database of non-running users.

Anyway, with that done, the start menu went back to semi-normal. It still has hiccups where it stops refreshing certain apps or folders until a reboot, but at least it doesn't stop working permanently.

It does. The old Start Menu location gets scanned normally, though it won't show more than one folder deep in the new "All Apps" section. I decided to go through and remove most of the subfolders, that gives a nice flat hierarchy.

But guess what! There's also a bug with the start menu that prevents it from displaying more than 512 entries.

Run Powershell and paste "Get-StartApps | measure". If that gives you more than 512 entries, enjoy cleaning up all those uninstallers, URL shortcuts and help files! If not, just nuke the tile database as described above.

p.s.: posting this from Safe Mode, which required booting from a recovery disc to enable, because some genius at Microsoft decided that modern systems boot too fast for the F8 key to be worthwhile! All of this because loving windows update installed a cumulative update and then failed to boot back to desktop! I love Windows 10!
:thumbsup:

poo poo.

Thanks for this, but it hasn't helped. In fact, things are kinda worse. All my Start Menu folders and live tiles are gone now :(

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Huh. Apparently my keyboard drivers - even the basic stuff - aren't available until I log in. Mouse works fine, thank god.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Logitech G19. The Second screen stuff won't load until the software does in the OS, that's pretty normal, but it's only recent that the actual keypresses aren't loading.

EDIT: I just had a thought and I'm going to need to test it.

EDIT2: Semi-false alarm! I'd set up a PIN instead of a password because Windows 10 seemed really keen for me to do that. Keyboard was definitely working in the BIOS environment, so I wasn't sure what was happening between then and the lock screen. Turns out the NumLock wasn't automatically set on OS load (works fine in BIOS, though :iiam:), and I was trying to type the PIN with the numpad. Using the homerow works fine.

It's still acting weird, because turning on NumLock at the PIN entry doesn't seem to activate the numbered function of the numpad, but that's a lesser worry.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 16, 2015

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm not 100% sure if this was a Trillian feature that doesn't work in 10, or a 7 feature that doesn't work in 10, but I figure someone out there can point me in the right direction.

I used to be able to snap my chat windows together so that the edges lined up. I liked how it made things look "cleaner", or at least more orderly. Since I've gone to 10, I can't do that anymore unless I use the "snap to screen edges" functionality, which I kinda don't want to do, because it'll resize the chat windows.

Any way I can get this back?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Diviance posted:

If I remember right, wasn't that something you had to turn on in the options for Trillian?

If it is, I can't find it :(

Edit: Welp, the Trillian devs removed it because it caused problems in 8.1.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 14, 2015

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I haven't used an instant messenger since smart phones became a thing. What's even the usecase anymore?

Late, but I still have a lot of people using Facebook chat, and I want to use IRC, so why not have one application handle both workloads for me?

Also I like logging in to my old 6-digit ICQ account daily, even if nobody ever messages me on it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
What are you guys using to easily switch audio playback devices on 10?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I've set my region to Canada and my language to Canadian English, but "Cortana is not available" for that combination, even though help seems to indicate that it should be?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Got the November update and I now have Canadian Cortana.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Shaocaholica posted:

So there are people on ebay selling Win10 Pro keys for $24-30. Is this legit? Not just individuals selling 1 key but people who are selling 100s of keys at this price. If it is legit, where are people getting these keys?

If there's an incredible bargain on software on eBay, it's always too good to be true.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Does anyone else have the thing where numlock is turned on by default in the BIOS, but the moment Windows loads it gets turned off?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

taqueso posted:

After I lock the screen with Win-L, sometimes I will come back and I can unlock the system with just the keyboard. -- I hit shift and the monitor comes on, then I type the password. But other times, there is no response to the keyboard, and I have to click with the mouse somewhere on the screen. Then I can type the password. I would like to be able to unlock the system without clicking the mouse half the time.

Am I correct in thinking this is just the way it is and can't be fixed?

beejay posted:

Same thing for me, there's no rhyme or reason for it either.

Do you have a two-monitor setup? because I find I have to move my mouse cursor over the the monitor displaying the lock screen for it to work.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm happy with Windows 10.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Between upgrades and new purchases, we don't have any accessible systems on our original Homegroup. I want to start a new one... but Windows keeps on telling me - on each system - that a Homegroup already exists. How do I say "gently caress that" and start a brand new Homegroup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Between upgrades and new purchases, we don't have any accessible systems on our original Homegroup. I want to start a new one... but Windows keeps on telling me - on each system - that a Homegroup already exists. How do I say "gently caress that" and start a brand new Homegroup?

I found the answer! Shut down every single system on the network. Turn on the system you want to make the primary on the Homegroup, and at that point, you'll have the option to create a new one!