Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Anyone seen anything strange with Group Policy in Windows 10 Enterprise?

Seems to be a strange permissions issue where the machine doesn't have the rights to access NETLOGON or SYSVOL at the domain root. However, the machine can reach NETLOGON/SYSVOL on any individual DC. Just not on the Domain root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I'm not really sure what they were thinking with Edge. Like, I want to use it and it has some neat features, and the speed seems noticeably improved from IE 10/11.

At the same time it doesn't support any extensions, which renders it unusable for me.

It also looks like my weird domain issues aren't an isolated occurrence.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

What a weird thing to say.

Were you using any extensions in IE? Most people who use IE were not using Adblock's IE plugin, or intentionally using any other plugin I suspect. So restated, you're saying "huh, they built this new default browser which has some neat features and is noticeably faster than the old default browser but didn't ship with a replacement for barely used functionality... why the heck did they bother making it at all?? What were they thinking????" How about because it has some neat features? How about because it's noticeably faster? Why did the release have to be gated on MORE stuff?

Not to mention can update it more frequently now that they've changed release models and won't be locked into the requirements of ancient legacy compatibility.

To be more specific, I use Chrome or Firefox for day-to-day usage with some casual IE 10/11 usage in the workplace. My assumption was (based on rumblings heard before release) that the Windows 10 variant of IE would finally be matching its counterparts in add-on/extension offerings, at least in capability. I understand the "marketplace" for such a thing doesn't really exist as of now.

I don't recall saying anything questioning why the product exists, but rather why it launched in a state that still makes it a non-preferable choice in most circumstances.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 14, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Seeing a lot of weird Group Policy stuff specifically with Win 10 PCs. I've upgraded all the ADMX templates that are appropriate and I'm still seeing inconsistent application of policy on the things.

Also, if you're thinking of adding Win 10 clients to a domain make sure you're using DFS for sysvol replication and not FRS. I doubt this will affect that many organizations but it definitely affected ours since we have a lot of legacy components that haven't been migrated forward effectively overtime. Until you're on DFS you cannot reach SYSVOL from a Win 10 machine.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Oh yeah, one other thing: Assigned Access has been gutted and is completely worthless. You can no longer use browsers as the targeted app, so having that easy setup for kiosks is now gone until they either fix it or provide an alternative.

I learned recently how much of a pain in the rear end setting up IE11 kiosk mode is in comparison.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

WorkingStiff posted:

Oh come on, enough with the victimization terminology. MS is not raping you. Just use a different OS.

As a guy that had to deal with the bullshit associated with the Lync -> Skype for Business transition, I'm perfectly content calling it rape.

But yeah, let's get enterprises running Linux at the desktop level.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Oh.

Are you sure you're booting the EFI version of Windows setup, not the BIOS version?

A lot of motherboards won't boot EFI unless they're booting from a FAT32 volume (and you may still have to force EFI boot) - at which point the actual bootcode on the partition doesn't matter.

Seriously, try formatting your USB installer FAT32, do literally nothing else to it, then just copy the Windows 10 install image's entire file tree over. It should only boot EFI then. If that doesn't work try flipping the partition's active flag. If that doesn't work how many years behind current is your motherboard firmware. If that still doesn't work you might be screwed (read: stuck with BIOS+MBR (read: screwed)).

Pretty much all of them, it's just that some manufacturers are nice and include NTFS drivers in UEFI. Shifting from BIOS to UEFI from an imaging perspective is a bit of a pain in the rear end because of the shift to FAT32.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a way to use both a local computer account(s) and a Microsoft Account?

Ideally, I'd keep my work/home PC accounts separated.

You can do that easily enough, just create a local account per normal under User Management.

Or do what I do and use a VM on my personal machine that is purely used for VPN/work related functions.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

xamphear posted:

As discussed quite recently here, Windows Updates are now regularly (couple times a year) delivered in the form of full in-place OS reinstalls. Also, users no longer have the ability to stop or delay or pick updates in Windows 10.

Either you get an Enterprise LTSB license and cherry pick which builds to install, or you get used to the fact that there's not going to be a "clean install" on your PC with Windows 10 going forward.

Technically you can still cherry pick with Enterprise Non-LTSB, it's just that "support" will fade from your environment rather rapidly if you opt to stay a generation or two behind. What this means is somewhat nebulous.

The whole delineation between LTSB and not is still confusing, and no one seems to have a clear answer which of the two is best for your typical corporate environment. The standard use case MS provides for using LTSB is for something like a cash register or a POS terminal that absolutely cannot experience any rate of change, but I have a hard time seeing why I'd want to use regular Enterprise over it for anything beyond losing Edge, since security patches still flow via the old WU methodology. That seems to be the only real downside unless you have a C-Level that REALLY loves Cortana.

It's a brave new world, folks. At least it's easy to switch between CB and LTSB, from what I've seen.

Edit: Correction, you can move from LTSB to CB/CBB easily, but not the other way around. Why? Because gently caress you, that's why.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 30, 2016

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

So they removed the Control Panel link from the right-click Start Menu and I want to loving murder someone.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

I know there are a bunch of ways to get there, I'm just annoyed that they removed one of the few features introduced back in 8/8.1 that I used constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Backyarr posted:

I feel your pain bro. Luckily, there's this convenient program. WinXEditor to the rescue:
http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.30

Edit: you want to add a shortcut to "%windir%\system32\control.exe"

Not that it's a concern anymore since I got a new job, but it was a bigger problem when I would move from machine to machine.

Good suggestion.