Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Chasiubao posted:

Also, what person decided that tablet mode required a taskbar at all times because holy poo poo.

I get that the general public reaction to 8 was 'Too much tablet' but this is way, way too far in the other direction.

You can set it to autohide but you have to swipe it up to get it to appear and there's a decent chance you'll also stretch it up in the process.

But yeah, Windows 10 is pretty terrible compared to Windows 8.1 on tablets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is there a decent replacement for the default mail app? I'd accept something that actually pops up toast when email arrives and allows me to choose what email address I send something from.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Karthe posted:

Why would I want to log in with a pin instead of a password? Windows promoted me to set one up when I reinstalled the other day and my first reaction was, "are you kidding me?"

I get that people hate passwords, and I understand that a number is (probably) easier to memorize, but with as much personal stuff as gets stored on a laptop, wouldn't you want to make it harder for others to log in?

Because it's a giant pain in the rear end to put in your full password every time you wake your laptop. Double for tablets where you're trying to peck it out on the touch keyboard.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Auto-hide the taskbar and set it to tablet mode and it works just as well as Windows 8.1 imo; Edge has turned out to be a good replacement for Metro IE as well, bar a couple of annoyances like no swipe back/forwards yet, and it'll be getting extensions soon as well.

Nope. It's garbage on tablets. Same with Edge.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is there an article summing up what the big November update is suppose to be? It took like 40 minutes to install on my computer and everything seems exactly the same.

I just wish they would fix their lovely mail app to be as functional as the Windows 8 version.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thanks.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Mail app is more functional now than it's ever been, what do you think is missing?

It's missing the ability to send email from an Outlook alias or an email tied to the main Live account. It's missing the ability to update or pop up toast with any sort of regularity. It's missing the ability to properly display the number of unread mail within an account. And it's missing the ability to not be a giant piece of poo poo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is there some way to use the Windows 8 metro mail app on Windows 10? Because the W10 version is seriously garbage.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's the malfunction?

Ironically, this was my response to you from 2015 over the same question.

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's missing the ability to send email from an Outlook alias or an email tied to the main Live account. It's missing the ability to update or pop up toast with any sort of regularity. It's missing the ability to properly display the number of unread mail within an account. And it's missing the ability to not be a giant piece of poo poo.

All these complaints still stand in 2016. With the free update ending soon, I'll have to update my desktop and I'm not looking forward to having to go back to live.com to use my email instead of using an app.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 26, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Well-remembered. Are you saying the Windows 8 app does all these things? The Windows 10 app now provides reliable notifications for incoming mail, and the unread email count is fine.

Yeah.

The Windows 8 app lists all my email addresses in a drop down box where I can choose what account I want to send the email from.

The Windows 10 app only lists the main Microsoft address and my Yahoo address (since I originally added it separately). Not even in a drop down box, you have to make sure you have the right account selected before hitting the new mail button. There's no way to send email from my live aliases on my main Microsoft account. No way to send emails from my domain email (I tried removing the info from my Microsoft account so I could log in separately but it didn't work). No way to add my alias emails as an option to send from because when I try to add them individually, it says it's already been added.

And I have Windows 10 on my tablet. I never get a toast popups like I did on Windows 8.1 and the unread email count regularly gets hosed up on my alias accounts.

tl;dr - windows 10 forever garbage

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 28, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Segmentation Fault posted:

lmao windows 10, just lol

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

How the gently caress do you change the start menus folders? I just got win10 and tried to pin some chrome pages to the desktop. I messed up a few times and ended up deleting them, but they are all showing up in the start menu under a folder called "chrome apps" and when you right click uninstall it doesn't do anything except expect you to uninstall chrome itself. So now I have bunch of junk links in start i can't remove. How do I delete folders or move items around in the start menu? I also have a bunch of folders with one icon in it, why can't I just drag them out into the main start menu and delete the folder?

Right click the thing within the folder -> More -> Open File Location

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh my god, Microsoft finally fixed their stupid mail app. Only took them a year.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

Oh my god, Microsoft finally fixed their stupid mail app. Only took them a year.

Aaaaaaand they broke it again. Plus they broke the website.

Now I can only send emails from my Microsoft email accounts.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I didn't know for sure whether to put this in SHSC or IYG but I think this fits here more - I want to understand what the deal is with being able to cast a Youtube video from my laptop to my Roku Stick even without having the device connected but not being able to cast my desktop directly as in this guide. Is it as simple as Youtube just searching my WiFi network instead of relying on Miracast which my laptop doesn't seem to be able to use or is there something else going on? Is there any way to get my laptop to stream content to my Roku stick (preferably free)?

You pair your Roku Stick to your YouTube account and than it will show up on YouTube as a cast location.

If you're talking about watching files from your pc, download kodi, turn on upnp on your laptop and access the upnp share with Roku Media Player. https://channelstore.roku.com/details/2213/roku-media-player

You may have some issues if you're trying to throw HD files on wifi alone but it's something to try.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

dissss posted:

Edge is garbage though - scrolling performance is good but that is literally all it has going for it

Edge is cool because they replaced the best touch browser with a browser that has no literally touch support besides annotating drawing dicks on pages.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
nevermind

meltdown premature

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 21, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's really cool that Microsoft decided to discontinue Windows Movie Maker with no replacement and pulled all the download links from their site. (and it's really really cool how a .dll randomly disappeared from my installation and the only way to fix it is to reinstall the program)

Is there somewhere I can safely download it from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ever since the Creators Update, my tablet's been doing that stupid 'plugged in, not charging' thing where I have to go in device manager, delete everything under battery and restart for it to actually run off of AC.

Is there something else I can do to fix it?