Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, Maximum Reflect can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This new patch loving up printing is loving up my poo poo for real. People at work can't print checks now. Removing the March CU doesn't fix it. None of the new patches from Microsoft fixes it. Might be giving them new machines where my image is from last year and turn off Windows Update.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Klyith posted:

So the last cumulative update had a bug that caused a bluescreen if you tried to print with printers that used a particular driver ("KX driver for Universal printing").

To fix it they put out an emergency patch. Which stopped the bluescreen, but caused print failures in general on all sorts of printers. You want to remove KB5001567 or KB5001566 to make printing work again (assuming you don't have a printer that uses the bluescreening driver).

To fix that they put out another patch, but it apparently fails to install on most affected systems so they've pulled / slowed the rollout.

Next they're going to swallow a dog to catch the cat...

I don't see either one of these patches installed nor do I see them in WSUS. Crazy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Maybe? Can you dump those changes to a reg file and just run that post upgrade?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Awesome man. Glad it worked.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I remember that every time I RDP to an 2012 server VM.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Nope! More Microsoft bullshit!
Uninstalled the latest “ Features” update from the options and that got everything back to normal.
Not sure what the “features” was supposed to be

That shits all normal. Your grampa is on an old rear end ver of Windows 10 that is no longer supported. Microsoft pushed down the latest version and some minor things changed. I did that for about 300 users and maybe 5 had issues.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Edge is pretty great now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's gonna be the first GPO I configure for the org.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Does that mean 32-bit Office won't work on Win11?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Guessing our huge inventory of this model PC currently running Windows 10 won't make the Windows 11 cut :D

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not if you turn them off before putting them in bags.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

And the user will yell about how his laptop is dead and needs a new one ASAP, but its just a drained battery.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Everyone in IT where I work is responsible for user support.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Na get used to it. A lot more of that coming.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Bing is still the best for nudie image searches.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Cisco soft phone emulator is end of life years ago if I remember correctly and hasn’t been updated for a long time. Ask me about Cisco call centers cause I admin one.

Anyways, not much you can do with that piece of crap.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Why the hell don't they just get her a real goddamn phone?

No one really has desk phones anymore. We migrated our call center to the same software she is using but this was years and years ago. It worked fine, but it's EOL and hasn't been updated in ages. Cisco then migrated over to Jabber, which is current and works way way better as a softphone.

Now they're moving over to Webex Teams for calling. We migrated all our call center to Webex Teams and I'm currently working on migrating the rest of the org too. It also works way way better and has basically no issues. All the settings missing from the old CIPC is in Jabber and Teams.

All our call center agents use Jabra wireless headsets. The bases are USB.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not an IBM geek but we have an iSeries and we had a CPU go out and an IBM tech came on site and hot swapped it and it was rad as hell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The worst is when you have to slide something between the plastic parts of the back panels to remove. I always worry I'm going to crack something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I have a good toolset. I've been upgrading laptops for 15 years as a side job.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sab669 posted:

A recent update seems to have finally broken Classic Shell -- anyone know of an alternative? :negative:

I cannot overstate how much I hate the 'new' Start Menu design. It's extremely hostile towards keyboard based navigation, and I like to use my mouse as little as possible. I used to be able to just hit like Windows Key, Up, Right Right Enter and that'd sleep my computer. Now it's like, Windows Key, Tab, Down x5, Enter, Enter.

You can hit the start button on your keyboard, type the first few letters of the app and hit enter.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I've had zero issues on my work PC. My home computers are on Windows 11.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Deviant posted:

no thank you microsoft i do not want a full screen notification about windows 11 on login

please gently caress off forever

how do i make this never happen again

Easy, update to Windows 11.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It works fine for me. I have it on all my desktops and laptops.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Wear protection while surfing the strange and dangerous world wide web.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I installed the new ver of 11. Works fine.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

redeyes posted:

There is a update which is KB5021233 and is causing computers to blue screen with a 21a error code. The fix is get to a command prompt via recovery. Xcopy C:\windows\system32\drivers\hidparse.sys c:\windows\system32\hidparse.sys and let it overwrite the file. Presto!

That's some good stuff right there. Happy holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I dunno, I've setup a dozen computers this week with Windows 10 Pro, all updates applied, and no issues.