Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

quote:

And yet, there are many reasons to stay away from Edge and continue using Internet Explorer

Name one 🤔

Boz0r posted:

My 7 year old nephew has borrowed an old laptop from me, and I'd like to be able to fix stuff on it remotely. In Windows' own remote desktop you need to port forward. I don't really want to fiddle around with my sister's router, so I'd like to find a tool to do remoting without that. Any ideas?

What others said is probably fine, but this question seems to come up often enough that I'll share my setup.

I recommend registering with & installing ZeroTier. (Remove the startup item so there's no UI for them to accidentally click into). Make a separate private network just for you & that laptop, and make sure to enable those devices on ZT's network dashboard. Turn on remote desktop, and set it to the highest security level (Network Level Authentication). Then set up an inbound firewall rule to only allow addresses from your ZeroTier network (you can also run RDP on a nonstandard port if you want, and then also make sure this rule allows traffic on that).

- This setup bypasses the need to do any further network or environment configuration (no messing around with the router)
- It'll work as long as they're connected to the internet anywhere
- In order to connect, you'll need to first have been enrolled in the private ZeroTier network you set up (fairly secure)
- The firewall rule prevents access from any other connection (limits attack possibilities)
- ZeroTier has apps for all devices including phones, and there is also a Microsoft RDP app for phones, and these work together nicely (not that you'd really want to do family desktop helpdesk IT from your phone... but now you *can*)

It definitely is more set up steps, but it's also mostly one-time setup, and if you're already using ZeroTier then it's obviously even less work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Morter posted:

Any ideas?

Either set it up or click "Dismiss" and forget about it

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Please do not use zerotier it is sketchy as gently caress

What do you mean?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Maybe they've changed it since I last had to deal with this nonsense bypassing firewalls in to high-security zones, but at the time if you were running the zerotier client on a system with sufficient bandwidth and able to get a port opened with upnp it would promote itself to a root server and you would start relaying who-the-hell-know's traffic through your system. Maybe they stopped doing that now that they have a paid product (was free at the time) but from an architecture standpoint it was terrible

This isn't how it works now for client devices (or has worked for some time, I have been using this for several years). You're only going to be sending/receiving traffic on networks you joined, to peers you've whitelisted in your network dashboard. The only way you'd be dealing with traffic you didn't whitelist was if you joined the public Earth network and people started pinging you OR if you set yourself up as a moon. Neither of those things happens by default.

e: or you joined an ad-hoc network I guess?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

ConEmu can also do it, if you're willing to put up with a little bit of jank & configuration hassle. But it's also free.

e: ha okay so I go to try it just now and it doesn't work, so yeah buy the stardock app or whatever

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Cerepol posted:

so I got updated and now my search looks like this in dark mode

is there a way to make this dark in dark mode or is it just gonna be a horrific nightmare everytime I try to search for something?

dev/beta channel only, currently:

https://twitter.com/MBulowius/status/1306236748922580992

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Looks like they're working on fixing the thing where apps move when displayport devices disconnect, specifically during sleep: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

nielsm posted:

If Windows stops being 10, does that mean maybe someone else can finally take this horrible thread off my hands???
(I'm still hoping for someone to pick up and reboot it.)

Good news, nobody reads the OP anyway. However I hope the next iteration of this thread can be combined with the Windows Software thread, since there's a big crossover in terms of what gets asked/answered in both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

The context menu thing pisses me off insofar that I can't start task manager anymore purely via mouse only.

Just right click on the start button instead. This article is just referring to the separate context menu for the empty part of the taskbar