Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Problem description:

Just upgraded to a Gigabyte GTX 980 from a GTX 760 and every time I boot I get the following errors:

Power supply surge detected

CPU over voltage error

CPU over temperature error

What's strange is when I put the old GPU back in I'm still seeing the error

The BIOS says that my CPU is 127°C (fan speed is 1400-1500 RPM) and the voltage is this but I can access Windows through the boot menu and the PC seems to function fine (it's what I'm typing this on). HWMonitor puts the CPU at around 35-45°C. This is why I haven't tried removing the CPU fan and reapplying thermal paste, as surely 127°C would cause some serious issues. I've been using this thing for a few hours at this point.

Attempted fixes:

Tried a different plug socket (it was originally plugged into an extension cable, not it's straight into the wall)

Tried disabling ASUS surge protection

Unplugged and reattached pretty much everything on my motherboard and double-checked nothing came out when I installed the GPU (it's a mid-sized case and it's quite a large GPU)

'Updated' the BIOS to the latest one for my CPU. I say 'updated' because it was the same version it was already on

Recent changes:

Updated to Windows 10 but that was over a week and a half ago and today was the first time I saw issues

--

Operating system:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

System specs:

CPU- Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard - Asus H87-PLUS (ATX LGA1150)

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 WindForce 4096MB GDDR5

Memory - Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333

PSU - Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX (PC Part Picker puts the estimated wattage of my build at 362W)
UK

I have Googled and read the FAQ:

Yes

Thanks in advance and I hope I can fix this without too spending too much more. Sorry if I added too much information, just wanted to cover all bases.

101 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

101 posted:

What's strange is when I put the old GPU back in I'm still seeing the error

I'd try taking the GPU out and using onboard video temporarily.

Do you get errors then?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Zogo posted:

I'd try taking the GPU out and using onboard video temporarily.

Do you get errors then?

Just checked. Still getting the errors with no GPU plugged in at all

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

101 posted:

Just checked. Still getting the errors with no GPU plugged in at all

How long had the computer been working okay before this issue started?

How old is the PSU? That Corsair CX line doesn't have the greatest reputation.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Zogo posted:

How long had the computer been working okay before this issue started?

How old is the PSU? That Corsair CX line doesn't have the greatest reputation.

About 12 months (when I built it) and the PSU is also 12 months old

I reapplied thermal paste to the CPU yesterday and that hasn't fixed the error message so I'm pretty sure it's the PSU or the motherboard. I might just leave it until I upgrade next since it's doesn't seem to be detrimental to the computer post-boot

• Locked thread