Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

waah posted:

Wtf is fan death?

South Koreans (I have no clue about the North, but they likely don't have fans running reliably so who knows) firmly and adamantly believe that if you leave the fan on overnight, you will die. This isn't some urban myth or old wive's tale like don't go outside with wet hair or you will catch a cold. Like Blitz and I have posted, highly educated and respected academics, health professionals, and otherwise intelligent sorts believe in it with the same veracity that we believe in things like smoking causes cancer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

Actual academic articles have been published on the topic including proposed mechanisms of death which include hypothermia or just the fan displacing air leading to asphyxiation. I wanted to ask Eifert if its really as common in the country of South Korea, or are all there ex-pats and visiting scientists just trolling the poo poo out of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Fan death is when you root for *looks at wrist tape but it's all smudged* ah god... uh... the currently trending worst team

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Cavauro posted:

Fan death is when you root for *looks at wrist tape but it's all smudged* ah god... uh... the currently trending worst team

You missed a good Raiders joke considering how many get shanked.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sure, that was there, but the truth is very few fans have ever truly lived.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

swickles posted:

South Koreans (I have no clue about the North, but they likely don't have fans running reliably so who knows) firmly and adamantly believe that if you leave the fan on overnight, you will die. This isn't some urban myth or old wive's tale like don't go outside with wet hair or you will catch a cold. Like Blitz and I have posted, highly educated and respected academics, health professionals, and otherwise intelligent sorts believe in it with the same veracity that we believe in things like smoking causes cancer.

Actual academic articles have been published on the topic including proposed mechanisms of death which include hypothermia or just the fan displacing air leading to asphyxiation. I wanted to ask Eifert if its really as common in the country of South Korea, or are all there ex-pats and visiting scientists just trolling the poo poo out of us.

I should be double dead then. I sleep with the air on and a ceiling fan and a Vornado on medium speed about 2 feet from my head. :feelsgood:

I do have a surprising number of wind/hurricane dreams though for some reason.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Fan death is used to explain socially unacceptable deaths but yeah a lot of people sincerely believe it. People think really dumb poo poo everywhere I've been. In Russia if you sit on concrete you become barren. In the US you vote Republican if you're poor.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Silly Burrito posted:

I should be double dead then. I sleep with the air on and a ceiling fan and a Vornado on medium speed about 2 feet from my head. :feelsgood:

I do have a surprising number of wind/hurricane dreams though for some reason.

:hfive: my man.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Eifert Posting posted:

Fan death is used to explain socially unacceptable deaths but yeah a lot of people sincerely believe it. People think really dumb poo poo everywhere I've been. In Russia if you sit on concrete you become barren. In the US you vote Republican if you're poor.

I had a gf whose mom (a registered nurse) claimed that if you sit on cold concrete you can get hemorrhoids.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Eifert Posting posted:

In the US you vote Republican if you're poor.
This one's new to me

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

This one's new to me

you've never been to a trailer park, or the South in general

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

swickles posted:

I didn't get it either but can understand the mindset now looking at kids dying in the USA of whooping cough etc.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eifert Posting posted:

I'd go with the literal 42% of americans that straight believe in ghosts or over 70% that believe in angels.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

I'd go with the literal 42% of americans that straight believe in ghosts or over 70% that believe in angels.

That's not unique to Americans though.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Kalli posted:

or the 95% that believe in God

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Kalli posted:

Hey man if you wanna piss off ghosts be my guest but I would advise you not to.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Are ghosts an ideal gas? Just asking questions.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Raku posted:

or the 95% that believe in God

Hey at least God has some good marketing going for him. Angels are about as realistic as Minotaurs.

And don't say but what about Angels in the Outfield, because nobody has optioned my script for Minotaurs in the Midfield yet and that cheeses me right off.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

The Big Jesus posted:

Are ghosts an ideal gas? Just asking questions.

Is Gillette haunted? Maybe this explains everything!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

Hey at least God has some good marketing going for him. Angels are about as realistic as Minotaurs.

And don't say but what about Angels in the Outfield, because nobody has optioned my script for Minotaurs in the Midfield yet and that cheeses me right off.

Eli Manning is Theseus.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Round these parts fan death usually means this

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Bored at work, so I figured I'd go through to see how wildly wildly wrong (when I wasn't doing so on purpose) I/we all did (only for the non-subjective questions):

Myself:
Question Correct Answer "My Answer" Comments

1.) With the first pick of the 2016 draft, the Tennessee Titans select "Tennessee Titans (and lol if they pick another QB unless Mariota turns out to be Leaf + JaMarcus)"
2.) This NFL head coach gets fired first. Joe Philbin "Mike Pettine (because Cleveland), with Lovie Smith close behind" I didn't expect Miami to actually do something, let alone in week 4.
3.) Tom Brady misses how many games this year? 0 "0, because god is dead" I hate being right all the time
4.) The leader in receiving yards for the year will be: Julio Jones (1871) "Dez Bryant" Way to get every injury ever Dez/Romo
5.) The leader in rushing yards for the year will be: Adrian Peterson (1485) "Beast Mode" Swing and a miss...which is what Peterson's kids always wished would happen
6.) The team with the most fumbles lost will be: Cleveland Browns (18) "Raiders" Meh
7.) The next player to get busted for PED's is definitely: Bobby Massie (suspended day after swickles created thread) or Jerome Simpson (suspended day the answers were revealed) "Vernon Davis, for massive amounts of anti-depressants to deal with the fact that he's on the Niners" Well, I got the right team at least...
8.) Pick one and ONLY one team that ends up in Los Angeles by the start of 2017. St. Louis Rams "Rams"
11.) Ted Wells (or some other investigator) gets sent to this team next. (Bonus: for what reason) This never happened I think "Washington Racists because Dan Snyder got caught dodging taxes" Oh how I wish this happened
12.) Last and most important: Who wins the The Shiva Bowl this year? The Coin "Dark horse pick: Mark Cuban. And JJ Watt will win the Sacko because he will have actually found a sack outside of the football field" I'm pretty sure the writers trolled me because I picked the billionaire, so they had a quarter win.

Everyone:
1.) With the first pick of the 2016 draft, the ___________________________ select

swickles posted:

Tennessee Titans - 3 points
whypick1
Blitz7x
Burginator

2.) This NFL head coach gets fired first.

swickles posted:

Joe Philbin - 7 points
Pet Rock Band
Burger Trench
DO YALL WANT A HAM
Gandalf21
Jprime
No Butt Stuff
JesusTheDarkLord

3.) Tom Brady misses how many games this year?

swickles posted:

Zero games - 10 points
whypick1
Pet Rock Band
CzarStark
Thaddius the Large
turbomoose
Kalli
No Butt Stuff
Fenrir
Vlad Antlerkov
Raku

4.) The player with the most receiving yards will be:
No one actually picked Roddy White, but 10 of you picked Antonio Brown, who got in 2nd.

5.) The leader in rushing yards for the year will be:

swickles posted:

Adrian Peterson - 31 points
big jesus
Burginator
Cavauro
CortezFantastic
Doctor Candiru
E_Motion
Ehud
Freaquency
Gandalf21
GNU Order
Gopher Flats
GUISEPPE PIZZAPIE
IcePhoenix
Jprime
kettleWL
Manoueverable
McStabby
MrLogan
Ninurta
No Butt Stuff
notable dom x
Nystral
Oxysnake
Phobeste
Recursive
Rogue Elephant
ShakeZula
Silly Burrito
turbomoose
waah
Yoshifan823

6.) The team with the most fumbles lost will be:

swickles posted:

Browns- 8 points
GNU Order
That Works
commy gun
old dog child
CortezFantastic
GUISEPPE PIZZAPIE
Doctor Candiru
Silly Burrito

7.) The next player to get busted for PED's is definitely:
A PALE HORSE said "someone on the 49ers", but that's not a specific player :colbert:

8.) Pick one and ONLY one team that ends up in Los Angeles by the start of 2017.

swickles posted:

Rams - 25 points
Cavauro
Jrizzle
whypick1
Benne
Dirt Worshipper
Yoshifan823
GNU Order
turbomoose
DO YALL WANT A HAM
waah
seiferguy
Freaquency
TubeStank
NickRoweFillea
Chris James 2
Febreeze
bobjr
A PALE HORSE
Gopher Flats
Roger Craig
GeneX
Alaois
nicelynice
Ninurta
JesusTheDarkLord

11.) Ted Wells (or some other investigator) gets sent to this team next. (Bonus: for what reason)
Nada

12.) Last and most important: Who wins the The Shiva Bowl this year?
Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiffed

GNU Order, No Butt Stuff, turbomoose and myself tied for first with 3 correct answers. Suck on that nerds.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ha, solid bump. I don't know poo poo.

e: nevermind, just remembered this wasn't about my own, personal predictions.

fsif fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 25, 2016

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I do hope someone gets one of these going. They are by far the best part of the offseason

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Jerome Simpson got popped for weed not PEDs

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I think I picked Matt Forte to win the rushing title. Why.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

oops nevermind i accidentally posted my credit card and social security #s

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 25, 2016

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Cavauro posted:

oops nevermind i accidentally posted my credit card and social security #s

Those flesh light orders were there before, you should totally look into that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Pretty funny how mad he got about people saying they don't watch The League considering how bad the final season was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
1.) With the first pick of the 2016 draft, the Tennessee Titans select
Los Angeles Steelers

2.) This NFL head coach gets fired first. Joe Philbin
Chuck Pagano

3.) Tom Brady misses how many games this year? 0
π

4.) The leader in receiving yards for the year will be: Julio Jones (1871) Andy Dalton

5.) The leader in rushing yards for the year will be: Adrian Peterson (1485)
Clark Harris

6.) The team with the most fumbles lost will be: Cleveland Browns (18)
Columbus Crew

7.) The next player to get busted for PED's is definitely: Bobby Massie
Janikowski

8.) Pick one and ONLY one team that ends up in Los Angeles by the start of 2017. St. Louis Rams
Rough Riders

Jousting

Gender relations on the Eurasian Steppes.

11.) Ted Wells (or some other investigator) gets sent to this team next. (Bonus: for what reason) This never happened I think
The Bengals, for winning a Wild Card game

12.) Last and most important: Who wins the The Shiva Bowl this year? The Coin
Special guest star Tom Waits.

• Locked thread