Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Things I did in Hawaii that were awesome and did not involve water, really:
  • Skydive on Oahu. Only really interesting thing I did on Oahu besides Pearl Harbor, which is good if you are into history, WW2, etc. Yeah you can skydive anywhere but the view is incredible.
  • Big island: I had fun just driving around, the landscape was really interesting.
  • Hilo farmers market
  • Mauna Kea - amazing drive at or around sunset. Stay to watch the stars. If you live in a light polluted city or have never seen the milky way you are really missing out. This is one of the top dark sky spots on earth. When we were there the uni astronomy people were there with really nice telescopes pointing out interesting things. Drive to the top is worth it although not a ton to do at the very top as opposed to the visitor center level. FWIW I drove up in a Ford Fusion rental, I was not told not to drive up there, it's really no problem in good weather, just watch out for altitude sickness (you may be driving from sea level to 14000 feet in a few hours - I felt like I was getting drunk at the top and had to go back down to visitors level ~12000 feet).
  • Volcanoes park even if you don't see lava has some interesting stuff, the caldera is neat. Apparently there are boat/helo tours that have a better shot of seeing lava.
  • Toured an organic farm on Kona side that grew coffee and all kinds of stuff including some strange and delicious fruits I had never heard of.
  • On Kauai Waimea canyon is amazing and has lots of hiking.
  • On Kauai there is also a somewhat famous hike around Hanalei that goes to a nice beach and waterfall and is a 1 or 2 day outing, depending. Kauai seemed more laid back even by HI standards, up to you whether it's worth an additional island hop.

Edit: Hawaii was awesome I will definitely go back even though I don't spend a ton of time in the water, these people are being ridiculous.
Edit2: Was never called a haole at least to my face, good enough for me, don't be a douchebag and likely others will follow.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

sellouts posted:

This sounds cool. How much time would you recommend spending there?

I went to this place, it was just a couple of hours, but it was neat. We were the only people there and ended up sitting around eating fruits and macadamia butter and drinking coffee (all stuff they grow and make). http://www.kuaiwifarm.com/ I'm sure there are other similar options, too.

• Locked thread