Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuckface McGee
Jul 26, 2005

He was a real crazy muhfucka, too. He was... sinister.
Big Island: Snorkel with manta rays. Do the trip from the boat dock near the Sheraton Hotel. I've heard bad things from people who started from the other place (sorry I don't know where that is exactly). Also, go over to the volcanos national park and stay near there. If you have military ID, stay at a cabin in Kilauea Mountain Camp. It is right in the national park and not too expensive. The lava takes a different path all the time and it has recently been flowing on private property. When you first get there, try to arrange a walking tour with a local. They will get necessary permissions and take you directly to flowing lava. I only found out about this on the last day which was too late so no lava for me.

Maui: Haleakala is nice. You can do the sliding sands trail and walk down the mountain and hitch back up to the top in a day if you are adventurous. The drive to hana is overrated I think, but I am used to that kind of scenery living on Oahu. There won't be many whales in September so no whale watching. One thing I would recommend is to take the ferry to Lanai and rent a Jeep. You can drive around Lanai and take the ferry back on the same day. Lanai has a different feel than Maui because there aren't many people there.

Kauai: I haven't been to this island for a while. See Waimea canyon. We took a snorkeling trip to the Na Pali coast, it was pretty nice. You can also take a snorkel trip to Niihau if you want. I haven't done that but it's on my list.

Oahu: This island is crowded. If you go to the Arizona then make sure you reserve ahead of time. I heard tickets are hard to get (but free?). There is plenty of good hiking in Oahu because there are so many people so there are plenty of trails. I would recommend Olomana Peak (may be scary, do not attempt if trail is muddy), Makapu lighthouse (easy), and Koko Head (steep). All have great views. Maybe Kuli'ou'ou ridge trail too for a nice view. Hiking up diamond head is easy and touristy. Waikiki is like Las Vegas without the gambling, very crowded and lots of nightlife. People who don't like Waikiki and want to stay in Oahu may want to get a vacation rental in Kailua or Hawaii Kai. These places are filled with mainland transplants (like me) and will appeal to tourists. Obama stays at a place in Kailua beach every Christmas. Also, I would recommend driving the H3 freeway into Kaneohe/Kailua. It has a magnificent view when you get out of the tunnel. Snorkel Shark's cove in the summer (summer has calm waves in the North Shore, you will die if you snorkel here in the winter). Same with Waimea Beach (come early, parking is insane).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread