Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

In Training posted:

Haters are welcome to post their grievances too because in the years intervening some people have soured on the show (or were always sour) and I'm curious to hear different thoughts and opinions.

Don't mind if I do.

I feel like Haruhi is a series that survives off gimmicks and nostalgia. Your OP mentioning that it's the first TV anime you ever watched and your go-to "there's more than just DBZ to this anime thing, trust me" series is pretty telling.

Instead of having a show that's actually like, interesting and has stuff happen, they just have the gimmick of the different episode orders so the show appears to have more going on than it actually does, overly animated fight scenes that don't matter but sure look neat and really catchy theme songs so the show can spread memetically (edits of hare hare yukai or whatever comprised about half of nico nico in 2006). Combine this with it also being, as is your case, a lot of peoples first anime series that wasn't about punching things or a guy not having sex with various ladies and it gets put on a real pedestal of nostalgia that I simply don't feel it deserves unless you've only seen five series that didn't air on toonami (or your local equivalent, for the international readers out there).

Maybe the first season just sucks, and the later stuff is actually good because things happen and the characters stop being one dimensional (and even worse, totally unlikable) so there's any reason to give a poo poo on a level beyond the visuals and the voice acting being Pretty Good. But what I saw didn't impress me and gave me no reason to continue (endless eight sounds pretty awesome, I'll give 'em that).

Regardless, for those of you that DO enjoy this anime you have my blessing to continue liking things. God bless and namaste haruhi havers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Thinking about it the only kyoto animation series I liked was full metal panic so maybe my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Well, I did it. I watched the anime.

- I completely forgot about the first episode, that poo poo is genius. I watched this show back when it came out, but I somehow missed hearing people lose their minds over it. That came completely out of left field, yeah? They just aired it?

- OP/ED are still really good, but man there's a lot of good-rear end background music, it really enhances the scenes.

- I'm liking kyon way more then I remember but it might just be because I'm watching the english version this time. I could listen to Crispin Freeman read Mien Kampf and be completely engaged.

Overall I'm liking this way more than I remember, but at the same time none of the parts I don't like haven't happened yet so idk if it'll stay this way.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

This is the start of everything I don't like about this series. The computer club/bunny girl scenes make me not like any of the characters involved, which is a pretty big deal when this entire show is about the characters. The supernatural stuff is introduced essentially as a gimmick to keep you watching ("oh man this boring character that hasn't done anything is an alien, I wonder what they're going to do with that?") and by just introducing a bunch more out of context with the baseball ep they continue this trend of ensuring people will tune in next week for this poo poo to maybe actually get explained or go anywhere , because the characters sure keep acting like this is a big deal. There's no buildup to any of it and the abrupt change between "silly baseball game" and "THE WORLD WILL END IF YOU DON'T MAKE THIS PITCH" just doesn't sit right with me because there's no real reason to get invested in any of it, it just makes the tone go all over the drat place.

In a vacuum though the baseball episode is really well done. I love how they use lots of subtle and not so subtle bits of body language and other details of how they play baseball to characterize everyone, in particular people that haven't done anything like yuki and especially the twee guy. You get a really good feeling for what his character is like based entirely on how he throws a ball and a few scenes of him talking with kyon.

So far I'm liking everything about this show besides what it's actually about, if that makes any sense.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Zas posted:

If you follow this line of thought far enough you might discover why it's a really good show, but I admit it's not for everyone!!

I think I might know what you're talking about, but I wanted to hold off on going down that path because there's at least one dude here that's new to this series and is surprisingly unspoiled.

also I was already getting a pretty decent essay going and I have to pace myself.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Agronox posted:

I think sociopathy implies some sort of conscious effort in being heartlessly manipulative, but she just seems more ignorant than anything.

lmao if you believe this. girl intentionally blackmailed and extorted a bunch of people whose only crime was being nearby.

but it's ok because she's only mostly a terrible human being that treats everyone and everything like objects to be used and discarded when she's bored.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Parallax posted:

I hope one day people learn characters don't have to be likable even if they're not villains

The problem is that what is there to this show if you don't like the characters? It can't be "what'll that crazy haruhi get up to this week" because all of her shenanigans are boring on top of making her look like a real bitch. There isn't any real spectacle to her actions because the terrible things haruhi does are pretty mundane. The fact that all of the other characters just kinda sit back and let her get away with this stuff (even before the show comes up with a forced excuse for them) doesn't show that haruhi has the will to power or whatever, it just makes them look bad for being such pushovers.

So all of the main characters are pretty unlikable, but the show isn't really about watching terrible people do terrible things either like Sienfield or something, because the show never really admits that all the characters are jerks. Kyon and whatsherface are never really called out for letting haruhi constantly molest her when neither of them wants it (I'm not gonna get into a big sidetrack about boners or the japanese trope of girls saying no when they mean yes that dates back to the Heian period please dont bring these up), and all of haruhi's terribleness is offset by "See, she's not ALL bad" moments as if the fact that she was a reasonable human being for five minutes is something worthy of praise or meaningful character development (especially when the next episode haruhi is off doing something else dumb again)

At the same time, the show isn't about watching terrible people become less terrible because (at least as far as season 1) that doesn't happen. The closest thing to character development haruhi gets is lots of scenes where she isn't terrible to kyon but she's never really that bad to him. Everyone else doesn't really change either, they just accept haruhi's antics and do their best to subtly clean up after her messes instead of actually doing anything.

I'll admit I only saw this series once when it first came out 9 years ago, and might be talking out of my rear end, but these early episodes are an extremely bad first impression.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You can only see so many anime bras before it loses any excitement, and beyond that all haruhi ever does is take poo poo or force people to do some non-illegal thing they otherwise wouldn't.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Parallax posted:

Haruhi does more than that, and there's more to everyone letting her do what she wants than just being push-overs. For all of Kyon's narration and his promise to Mikuru, he doesn't really do much to help her when Haruhi brings out the bunny costumes

Yeah, and that makes him look like an rear end in a top hat. Not the fun kind, but the pathetic kind like the kid from catcher in the rye.

I know there's a reason why everyone just kinda sits back and takes it, but it's a pretty contrived excuse to string together events like the rest of the supernatural stuff is. More importantly the scenes themselves just aren't interesting, regardless on if they 'make sense' within the framework of the series, and they just make everyone involved look lovely for no real payoff.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Zas posted:

on an unrelated note kyon sells out mikeru before anything supernatural happens

that's what I mean, the only excuse he has to not help is that he can't contain his raging erection over a not really revealing bunny outfit, despite being like 16 or something and so in theory pretty used to boners.

his behavior might be realistic, but it's not enjoyable/interesting and they don't really do anything with it. kyon needs to get laid, got it, you don't need to keep repeating this over and over unless you're actually going to do something about it like eva or eureka7 or even akira.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

if the show was more like this I wouldn't be so down on it, this is the sort of setup where haruhi being haruhi would work really well

(egg on my face if exactly this happens later on)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I don't remember this show being this good a decade ago. Is that on me or the fact that I'm watching it in english this time? I don't have any long winded complaints this time, I have the opposite.

- I can't lie, haruhi is pretty cute in these episodes. Kyon is actually kinda getting a backbone too, so there goes my only real beefs with the entire show (for now, anyway).

- I have to again really praise this shows character building. There are so many trashy anime highschooler series that wouldn't know subtlety if it turkey slapped them, but this show has a fantastic sense of direction and for little moments that make a greater picture.

- In particular I really can't gush enough about how this show is handling haruhi's obvious infatuation with kyon, and the fact that they aren't rubbing it in the viewers nose. Most anime series are full of stupid bullshit where the characters act more like literal children instead of teenagers, but this series has so far completely avoided this crap and I can't respect that enough. This might sound like I'm damming the series with faint praise but I'm seriously stoked about the non-terrible manner in which this is going down.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Well, I just marathoned the last six episodes, time for one last effort post for season 1

im gonna quote my original post that got people to say i should actually watch this series again, first

me posted:

Instead of having a show that's actually like, interesting and has stuff happen, they just have the gimmick of the different episode orders so the show appears to have more going on than it actually does, overly animated fight scenes that don't matter but sure look neat and really catchy theme songs so the show can spread memetically (edits of hare hare yukai or whatever comprised about half of nico nico in 2006).

In retrospect the reason I said nothing happened in this show is because I only remembered the first two episodes the fact that the movie/music/video game eps existed and all of the supernatural stuff. This was from start to finish an interesting show, mainly because it manages to avoid all the poo poo I hate from other shows in the same genre and actually has subtlety in it's characters and direction. like the actual characters are pretty one dimensional but it's done well and not everything has to re-invent the moe wheel, as it were.

in particular haruhi is a real cutie and really she stops being The Worst after like three episodes, when i was bitching about that stuff before people were talking like shes that way throughout the whole series but she wasn't really, she wasn't even like a generic tsundere or anything. kyon was cool too and unlike other characters of his archetype I only wanted to slap him because I knew he can do better, although i'm not sure how much of my enjoyment of him wasn't just my eternal love for crispin freeman. the other characters kinda just exist to be props the main two spring from but that's fine, they were pretty cool anyway.

different episode orders is actually an even bigger gimmick than I previously though b/c i have no idea how this show works with the chronological order, the plot episodes only work if they have the filler they do put inbetween them to offer context/contrast. like maybe i'm missing something but it seems like kyon finally fuckin kissing haruhi would be forced as hell without all of the scenes from the later episodes that actually have them interact, and after the story stuff it would just be endless slice of life with no conclusion because that already happened.

the supernatural stuff is still stupid as heck, i stand by that. it's cute to add spice to scenes but whenever it takes over the focus of the episode it becomes dumb, even if it ties into the characters in neat ways it's just a weird tone shift that i don't really think is done well and kyon somehow being able to avoid the other alien girls attacks in particular broke my suspension of disbelief pretty bad, like when she's fighting yuki she's hella fast why did she take her drat time before.

this show still looks neat and those songs are still really catchy

so TLDR you won haruhists, i like your anime, time to watch fuckin season 2

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 1, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Agronox posted:

So... Favorite episodes or scenes from the first season?

The adventures of mikuru asahina, space waitress.

It's in my top 3 for "best first episodes", because it's both a fantastic way to tell you everything this show is about and nothing that this show is about, and how good they are at making it look lovely.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Allarion posted:

Nah, stable time loop. Your actions in the past can't change anything because they're already accounted for and have always happened. Basically Kyon has always been John Smith.

stable time loops are bullshit and make zero sense because there has to have been a point where you didn't go back in time to do the things you already did, because if you already did those things you'd have no reason to go back in time and do the things you already did. BTTF and terminator didn't become such classics because of their well researched and complicated science

trying to attach literally any meaning to the supernatural stuff in this show beyond "look at how this develops character X" is a fools errand because none of it makes sense or even attempts to make sense

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Time Travel is literally magic so who gives a gently caress either way

that's what I'm getting at, the explanation for all these supernatural things is "this teenage girl thought it'd be awesome if this existed"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

new intro sucks really bad

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

imagine I posted the smiley that has the zoomed in eyes like a tex avery cartoon

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

yuki reppin the ultraman, nice

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

some smooth azz sax going on

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

baseball again? is this before or after the first one in the timeline

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

rare footage of kyon actually admitting he has fun

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

both the first episode and my first beer is finished

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I figure that second "endless eight" was the moment everyone realized what was happening? or did it take it until ep 3?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I tried looking for that one emote but I still can't find it

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

thank you

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

so is there not Traditional Festival Clothing for men?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

this mask is even more ultraman than the last one

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

wet t-shirt :eyepop:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

oh man something has changed

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

cat outta the bag this early, huh?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

but the mask shop doesn't have anywhere close to 15000 different masks

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

"that's gotta be the craziest story ever" - kyon after hearing kyoani say they're going to do the same episode 8 times in a row

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

so i've had the feeling that koizumi is way into haruhi but realizes he's outta luck for a while, but that scene settled it

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

another ep, another beer. excellent

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

as much as im down on the intro this ending is pretty rad

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Radio Spiricom posted:

the music in the opening scene in episode 3 really doubles down on being ominous

seriously, it sounds like someone just got murdered or something

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

will we ever see the exciting bike race

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

does kyon get more tired with every bike race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky