Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So, original Haruhi 2006 and then the new 2009 episodes in the order they came out? Fairly sure that's how my DVD sets are laid out.

In Training posted:

There are also mangas and ONAs and other spinoff stuff that I've never watched because I only care about the show.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya-chan is pretty funny, if you were to watch one of them. You can find subs on youtube even.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Allarion posted:

The DVD might not be in the right order, unless you picked up the limited edition sets, if I remember correctly.
Yeah it has the broadcast order. I remember there was a big kerfuffle when it got licensed because the Japanese DVDs were in chronological order for some reason.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, the books are chronological. Broadcast order was a great hook though and gave a lot more life to a story that otherwise would've peaked by the 6th episode and ended kind boring by the 12th (whether it was with Sighs or Someday in the Rain).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Haruhi season 3 would be excellent.
I was going to say that no it wouldn't, but if KyoAni did something kind of crazy with the episode structure for the last three books in the same way they did in the 2006 anime then it could be alright. The Mikuru book can gently caress off though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still use CCCP, other than when 10-bit stuff first started coming out nothing has really changed IMO that's required having to get something different. It seems like it's stabilized relatively speaking. I think the next big thing was going to be DirectX hardware acceleration on 10-bit stuff, not sure whatever came of that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

arisu posted:

Whats so bad about VLC? I never used it before but hear a lot about it.
It's not as bad anymore, but it used to be really lovely about softsubs. gg infamously put in code in their Code Geass fansubs that would intentionally break VLC (it was really funny). Somewhere along the line they fixed that so I guess it's fine if you have a Mac or computer you don't want to install a codec pack on. IIRC it still doesn't have great colors and DXVA didn't seem to work at all so I would still not use it if given the choice.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Spiritus Nox posted:

Okay for some reason my totally legal copy of Haruhi separated the opening and ending out into their own files for some reason. Awesome.

Nice opening, though.
Lots of groups do that, it's so that they can make the filesizes lower since the op/eds are usually exactly the same in each episode they play.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I usually move them elsewhere and then open up an ep to see if it still has chapter breaks for the op/ed or if the time stamp is something weird.

Also regarding the ED there is actually a full dance version that covers most or all of the song, though I can't seem to find a good version on youtube.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That one has all kinds of crap plastered all over it!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I completely forgot that I had two different Tsuruya avatars at one point.

and later

I'd like to think that in the first one she was laughing at my posts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

.jpg posted:

Either of those would be 1000x better than your homestuck one!
I was going to change it when it was over, but then it went on hiatus a billion times and eh :effort:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
http://www.muddledmuse.com/saars/ this site still mostly works, if you wanted to check. E: Actually I think it only works on older users/avatars.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 19, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The baseball episode has always been one of my favorites.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I probably have some embarrassing posts in the 2009 thread, but yeah I remember a lot of the irritation with EE was that the expectation of getting Disappearance during that season. I went from being upset about EE to not really caring or at least finding it amusing in hindsight once the movie was announced.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At least with regards to the first couple of novels, I found there to be not much of a difference between the anime and novel. The anime was better by virtue of its production values, voice acting, music, etc. but upon reading the book equivalents I did not think it was an appreciably different product. But that was bad in of itself because it meant there was literally no reason to read the books instead except for arcs that weren't animated.

So I don't know how good or bad Disappearance the book is, since I didn't read it after the movie. I did read the books that followed and IMO they are kind of terrible or at least pretty mediocre.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To be fair a good number of LNs do the side story thing, where a whole book will be nothing but short stories that in an anime only take up one or two episodes. Full Metal Panic and Spice & Wolf come to mind. In FMP's case they're purely comedic whereas the main full novels are the serious stories.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zedd posted:

I actually have no clue about the novels but is the "main" story finished so to say? Like is there a possible endpoint in one of them/disappearance?
As long as you're OK with the status quo remaining the status quo and one lingering plot thread (which is resolved in about 5 seconds in one of the later books), then yeah Disappearance "works" as an ending. Everything after it laughably hints at something larger only to jerk the wheel back violently to not really answering/resolving/developing anything and the last book while not exactly a cliffhanger didn't really resolve anything new either.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only character I dislike is Mikuru. Haruhi is often a terrible person but she is still pretty charismatic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kanon isn't bad but it's one of KyoAni's weaker shows, though not even their worst Key thing (that'd be Air).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

My DVDs actually came with a bonus disc that had the episodes in broadcast order.
Yeah, when the show was first licensed there was a big push for the distributors to release a broadcast order version. But the complication was that IIRC contractually they had to release the chronological DVDs as-is as well; so the compromise was to include the broadcast order as an extra in more expensive Special Edition releases.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zas posted:

I'm gonna have to start finding this stuff out, like do the current staff regret the broadcast order? do they think the show is good enough in chronological order to stand on it's own with fewer confused people calling the numbers on the package wondering about the order? just what's going on at kyoani???
I don't think anyone at KyoAni gives a poo poo about Haruhi anymore to be honest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Sighs stands out in my memory as the weakest of the Haruhi arcs, though until now I've only watched it the once. Haruhi transcends being merely bossy in it and becomes a bully. My ex, who had been watching the second season with me up to this point (even through e8), called it quits after I think the next episode due to this, and I couldn't really blame her. It also seems too drawn out. They knew how many episodes they wanted, and they knew they wanted Disappearance for the movie, so Sighs had to have five episodes; it would be better paced at four, or maybe even three.

That said, I still liked it back in the day, and I'm still liking it now. I have a much better appreciation for Kyoani's direction and camerawork now than I did six years ago, and though they're being more reserved on that front in these episodes, it's still good stuff.
Yeah Sighs was where the show (and books) kind of lost me, though Disappearance was of course good enough to draw most people (myself included) back in.

I don't dislike the later post-Disappearance arcs as much as Sighs but I feel more disappointed by them because they play it way too safe and are too afraid to actually develop/change either the characters or status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Late but man Disappearance is so good. Unfortunate I suppose that nothing ever got followed from it on KyoAni's side but it's as good a send-off as you could reasonably ask for I guess.

• Locked thread