Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Metapod posted:

Bomani talked about jerry curls for an hour :3:

Gonna have to get that podcast. Bomani on his own can be amazing, especially when he has call in guests that are basically dudes he used to hang with in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Dubious posted:

I miss getting mad at KFAN when I lived in Minnesota.

Feel free to. Nothing has changed.

PA is convinced that every player is going to the hall of fame. Common is just out to troll MN and does the same show everyday, and Barrero is there to be the reasonable one. Though the does rant about :Those drat kids: :argh: way to much now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Figure this might as well be here since we're talking podcasts.

The Grantland NFL podcast has started their season predictions by doing a division twice a week. It's pretty funny because they recorded them a week beforehand and started with the NFC West, recorded a day before Aldon Smith went off the reservation and then the AFC East went up the day after IK punched his ticket to Buffalo.

Anyway, it's good poo poo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I rarely listen to sports radio but when I'm driving around back home I like Mike Valenti and Terry Foster. It's amusing to listen to Valenti be really mean to dumb callers and of course he delivered the infamous "MAKE PLAYS!" rant/soliloquy all those years ago.

I live in Chicago now and my roommate just walks around with Boers and Bernstein blasting out of his phone at any possible hour. They're smug and annoying. I don't get why he likes them, and even he thinks sports radio is stupid but loves listening to it for reasons that he can't articulate.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

For anyone here that wants to poo poo on MIKE Golic? Just remember his brother is a pretty unapologetic racist radio host in NEOhio, so keep that in mind. (that there's a WORSE Golic on the radio).

I don't know...92.3 has had a decent thing going here with the Ken Carman Show. I said HAD because they moved him away from the 7 to midnight shift where he had a great co-host/engineer dude in one Kenny Kidd, and a lot more freedom to goof off.

They stuck him in the morning show slot and he's not been as good.

We get stuck with "The Bull and the Fox" during the mid-day shift which has been loving AWFUL for a long time. Literally it's just some guy from New York screeching about how the Browns "SUCK. THEY'RE AWFUL. I HATE JUSTIN GILBERT. I HATE JOHNNY MANZIEL. THEY'RE A DISGRACE".

Like that gets on your nerves.

crazycarl
Jun 13, 2001

Welcome to TB Diddlers in Mokena.

Where the special is always Dr Rassmusin's Hot Beef Injection and you can play "Whers my Manometer" with other diners

Henchman of Santa posted:

I live in Chicago now and my roommate just walks around with Boers and Bernstein blasting out of his phone at any possible hour. They're smug and annoying. I don't get why he likes them, and even he thinks sports radio is stupid but loves listening to it for reasons that he can't articulate.

They can be smug as hell, Bernstein more than Boers, but Terry has his moments, for the most part they are entertaining and dont necessary cater to the "extreme homer" or "Chicago Meatball" type fan which other shows would play to...I'm looking at you Mike North

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

heyyyyyyyyyyy greeny!

yesssssssssssss golic?

*lovely subway commercial that ends with a golic fat joke*

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

NC-17 posted:

The worst part is their commercials they run during the show.

Awkward live reads are a radio staple.

Living in Philly I am glad we have two local sports stations. One basically running 24/7 and the other about 12 hours of local content before it goes national syndicated at midnight. Having listened to sports radio more than regularly over the last 15 years I can tell you that national broadcasts suck. They're bad. Even the worst homer local show brings something a little unique than the most obvious hot takes on a national level with little level of depth.

Our local shows are generally not great anymore. WIP has turned it's afternoon drive time into a Howard Stern / Sports hybrid. Across the dial has been just as bad.

Yet I still listen for the calls and local opinions.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

loving siriusxm stop moving the loving channels you shitheads.

works fine in my car, everything auto-updates.

I get in the wife's van and holy poo poo it took forever to remove the preset, add the new preset and what the gently caress, why would you move those channels constantly?!

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Just now catching up with Bomani. Really like Shannon as someone for him to bounce off of. I'm still amazed that whoever edits the podcasts 1) leaves minutes of silence in the middle, and 2) still thinks buttrock guitar riffs and bells fit with the tone of the show.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ty1990 posted:

heyyyyyyyyyyy greeny!

yesssssssssssss golic?

*lovely subway commercial that ends with a golic fat joke*

So much of their show is just doing reads. So many ads.

It's like listening to a NASCAR :gonk:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ehud posted:

So much of their show is just doing reads. So many ads.

It's like listening to a NASCAR :gonk:

Thanks for that take our Subway Eat Fresh hotline. Now to the 1 800 flowers dot com twitter feed for the digiorno hot take of the day.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
You guy's haven't lived wanted to die, until you listen to a Chris Dimino hot read.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
So Olin Kreutz and Big Cat Williams are replacing Doug and OB for Bears post game. I honestly dont know what to think. I dont recall ever having heard either on the radio before, but nothing will be able to replace Doug and OBs pure post game rage. Though Big Cat does have one of the most linemany voice I have heard.

Im shocked that Pat Mannelly is not involved in the post game show. I figured that would be a no brainer.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OxySnake posted:

PA is convinced that every player is going to the hall of fame. Common is just out to troll MN and does the same show everyday, and Barrero is there to be the reasonable one. Though the does rant about :Those drat kids: :argh: way to much now.

Save yourself and listen to 1500, friend. Well, from 9-1 at least.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Doug Gottlieb is great until he does interviews or opens his mouth about almost literally anything not sports related, both of which happen way too often. So basically not great.

Local show has a writer famous for being friends with Brett Favre 20 years ago as credentials, and Harry Sydney (who actually DOES have creds) who stutters and mispronounces names and things so badly he sounds like Adam Sandler doing "The Excited Southerner" on his comedy albums. He once spent half of a two hour show calling Kaepernick "Copernicus" after being corrected multiple times.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lt. Chips posted:

So Olin Kreutz and Big Cat Williams are replacing Doug and OB for Bears post game. I honestly dont know what to think. I dont recall ever having heard either on the radio before, but nothing will be able to replace Doug and OBs pure post game rage. Though Big Cat does have one of the most linemany voice I have heard.

Im shocked that Pat Mannelly is not involved in the post game show. I figured that would be a no brainer.

He's doing Pregames I think.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

AfterFather posted:

gbaby posted:

The Ticket in Dallas hands down.

The Ticket owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzPuK0iMueo

Bob Sturm and Norm Hitzges are probably the best go to guys for football in Dallas.

The Ticket is pretty awesome, it's true. Also one of my goals in life is to eat at Bob's Steak and Chop House

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I usually just listen to those league specific channels on SiriusXM because it's usually news and information based and not a bunch of dumb dickheads yelling at each other.

will the thrill
Aug 18, 2003

When I hit the club, Ima be wit David Banner, a thug ass nigga wit bad table mannaz

Ross Angeles posted:

I still don't understand how so many people hate Mike and Mike. It's literally the most inoffensive vanilla show. I can see being utterly indifferent, but hate should be reserved for Colin Cowherd.

Cowturd is my favorite flavor. Deep down, he's a zookeeper despite what he might profess

Ehud posted:

ya'll watch this video that has mike and mike in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibsV3E56d0c

That was perfect.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AfterFather posted:

The Ticket owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzPuK0iMueo

Bob Sturm and Norm Hitzges are probably the best go to guys for football in Dallas.

lol at eli manning completely no-selling the joke

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I would be so embarrassed if the quarterback of my favorite team was incapable of recognizing or acknowledging a joke and just started yammering on about how you gotta respect the other team whenever he was spoken to

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Scoops Callaghan, thank god someone was doing this, even though I'm sure it was completely unappreciated.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There's literally no point to sports radio now that the Bears have killed Doug Buffone.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-consequen.html

tons of info here about LeBatard probably moving to Cowherd's slot

quote:

South Florida’s sports radio landscape, marked by turnover and tumult all summer, is on the verge of undergoing its most seismic change yet:

At ESPN’s urging, Dan Le Batard is expected to move to the 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. slot, replacing Fox-bound Colin Cowherd, provided ESPN Radio agrees to contractual terms with Le Batard’s on-air partner, Jon Weiner.

Though Le Batard is on board with the move, the network must still negotiate with Weiner, known to most of the country as Stugotz. Le Batard naturally wants his friend to be taken care of, so that small hurdle remains.

ESPN President John Skipper is a big fan of Le Batard and the top ESPN executives all advocated his move to mornings, partly because more affiliates carry ESPN Radio from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. (morning drive on the West Coast) than from 4 to 7 p.m.

Presuming the deal gets done --- and all parties are declining comment --- here are the wide-ranging ramifications:

### Though no final decision has been made, former Miami Herald sports writers Ethan J. Skolnick (most recently of Bleacher Report) and Israel Gutierrez (who works for ESPN) are considered top candidates to fill Le Batard’s afternoon slot locally on 104.3 The Ticket but not nationally on ESPN Radio.

Under that scenario, there would be some consideration to adding a third person in a traffic-cop type host role, but that decision hasn’t been made. Chris Wittyngham and Josh Friedman would be capable options for that position, but station management prefers not to break them up, which seems sensible because of their strong chemistry.

Adam Kuperstein, who would like to resume doing local radio after being dropped by WQAM-560, cannot do a late afternoon show because of NBC-6 commitments. Friedman, Brian London and Eric Reed would be internal options.

The program would run from either 3 to 7 p.m. or 4 to 7 p.m. There is some thought being given to airing a “Best of Le Batard” show, with highlights of his morning program, from 3 to 4 p.m.

Even a taped Le Batard hour probably would be a stronger lead-in to Skolnick and Gutierrez (should they land the gig) than a live show hosted by someone else.

Over the past three years, Skolnick has appeared regularly during the 1 to 3 p.m. slot with Reed and former NFL player Leroy Hoard. Gutierrez appears twice a week on The Ticket’s morning show with Jonathan Zaslow and Joy Taylor.

### Le Batard and Weiner have expressed a willingness to do a “local hour” from 9 to 10 a.m., similar to their current 3-4 p.m. hour that airs only The Ticket.

Joe Rose has been the most competitive of any WQAM host in the ratings battle against The Ticket, with Rose and Zaslow/Taylor each winning multiple ratings books against the other over the past few months. A Le Batard hour at 9 a.m. might draw some listeners from the final hour of Rose.

### Wittyngham and Friedman, who shifted to mornings following Cowherd’s departure last month, likely would return to 7 to 10 p.m., unless the station decides to shift them to afternoon drive.

### Bomani Jones, who hosts a 9-11 p.m. show on ESPN Radio, is the front-runner to replace Le Batard nationally from 4 to 7 p.m. But The Ticket --- which has a marketing partnership with The Miami Herald --- prefers to air local programming during those hours.

ESPN Radio is expected to ask The Ticket to air an additional ESPN program besides Le Batard’s, but the station’s contract doesn’t explicitly require that.

At some point, The Ticket might air ESPN Radio on one of its signals (790 AM) and local programming, plus Le Batard, on the other (104.3 FM).

### Marc Hochman, whose WQAM show recently moved up an hour (to 2 p.m.) and added Channing Crowder, would no longer be competing with Le Batard, whose program Hochman previously produced. Le Batard generates the market's highest sports-talk ratings.

Le Batard's shift to mornings could give the personable Hochman a chance to make inroads in the ratings, though a potential Skolnick/Gutierrez pairing also would have wide appeal and name recognition inside the market.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Maybe Lebatard at 10am won't spend the entire loving show complaining about how early it was like when he did Mike and Mike the other day

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

That local hour better remain, thats when all the crazy poo poo happens.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

IcePhoenix posted:

Save yourself and listen to 1500, friend. Well, from 9-1 at least.

My drive home is usually 2:30 - 3 so its the barren wasteland of Twin Cities radio programming, but it has given me an appreciation for how vast the audio book selection is in the Hennepin County libraries.

I miss the good 'ole days when I went home at 11p-12a and I could listen to Rob Dibble and Amy Van Dyken.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

gbaby posted:

The Ticket in Dallas hands down.

Goddamn right. That station is nothing less than a DFW treasure.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So this is interesting, the FM carrier of ESPN Radio abruptly became an alternative rock station, 104.3 The Shark. The AM frequency still exists, but obviously the quality sucks. Let's see how the gang is taking it:

(show summary for each segment)

The first hour is worth a listen simply for you realizing that the people making the show found out at the same time as listeners that the station was switching formats. You also have Lebatard desperately trying to find the line so he can toe it because apparently there are rules about what he could ad couldn't say about it.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?

OxySnake posted:

KFAN has gotten so much more insufferable now that they're syndicated or whatever on iheartradio. PA is the Sugar Free Werther's of "sports" radio. The fact that the Vikings employ him is so idiotic, and yet he gets massive ratings. PA and Dubay was such a better show, I can't even begin to describe it. Common does have occasional moments of brilliance, but I've never heard a host more disinterested in his own show. Homers calling in will always be fun. Barreiro is a rarity, a decent drive-time sports/news hybrid. His biggest strength is the interview, and all he does is have guests in. And poo poo all over the midwest, which we all know we deserve. Now that they have some money, instead of no money, they actually have B-/C+ level talent sidekicking/producing the shows. Not interns from Brown/people from off the street, and it shows.

I still wish whatever rear end in a top hat broke my power antenna dies in a fire. I get 1500 for like ten minutes heading into work. I like the variety, but Reusse has one of the worst radio voices I've ever heard.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Recursive posted:

KFAN has gotten so much more insufferable now that they're syndicated or whatever on iheartradio. PA is the Sugar Free Werther's of "sports" radio. The fact that the Vikings employ him is so idiotic, and yet he gets massive ratings. PA and Dubay was such a better show, I can't even begin to describe it. Common does have occasional moments of brilliance, but I've never heard a host more disinterested in his own show. Homers calling in will always be fun. Barreiro is a rarity, a decent drive-time sports/news hybrid. His biggest strength is the interview, and all he does is have guests in. And poo poo all over the midwest, which we all know we deserve. Now that they have some money, instead of no money, they actually have B-/C+ level talent sidekicking/producing the shows. Not interns from Brown/people from off the street, and it shows.

I still wish whatever rear end in a top hat broke my power antenna dies in a fire. I get 1500 for like ten minutes heading into work. I like the variety, but Reusse has one of the worst radio voices I've ever heard.

Reusse simulator

"HAAAAAAH"

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I listen to Bucky Godbolt and Erin Hogan out of Austin on 104.9 the horn. They're fun and relaxed and mostly keep ~hot takes~ to a minimum.

e- Bucky recruited / coached Ricky Williams at Texas, so that's pretty cool. Although buck is a bit of a dumbass sometimes.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Some guy has been filling in for the Morning Men the last few days and it's been a pretty listenable show. Today he was talking about Madden vs old games and how much better the old games were.

Tomorrow, however, we're back to Patriots apologist/Tom Brady concubine Evan Cohen and I'll have to listen to Stand-up Comedy or something.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

A classic from 2006, Mike Valenti loses his drat mind after MSU suffers yet another disastrous loss. He has since grown up significantly over the past decade, I think he is like 24 here. Valenti and Foster is routinely the most entertaining sports radio in Detroit, although their station forces them to do way too much taking calls and reading texts then doing interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWmXe1w6XBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjGxfiebmuo

Something from yesterday that made me laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kpit8cW0o4

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A classic from 2006, Mike Valenti loses his drat mind after MSU suffers yet another disastrous loss. He has since grown up significantly over the past decade, I think he is like 24 here. Valenti and Foster is routinely the most entertaining sports radio in Detroit, although their station forces them to do way too much taking calls and reading texts then doing interviews.

Valenti and Foster is great. I wish they would get a Lansing affiliate.

Here we're stuck with some local Grand Rapids guys or MSU blowhard Jack Ebling. We also have the pleasure of someone giving hot-take machine Ryan Schuiling a show. He's bottom of the barrel when it comes to local radio hosts. Basically don't expect anything decent on the radio outside of the national shows if you're in mid or west Michigan.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Man, that game is still the worst I've ever felt after watching a sporting event (bonus points as I had seats in row 4 of the student section); Smith should have had to walk across the street and pack his poo poo up in that thunderstorm immediately after blowing that lead. This rant is still my favorite and pretty perfectly captured the feelings of every Spartan fan at the time.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
http://mobile.sportingnews.com/arti...co%2FWS0Rb0k83q

This might be more appropriate here. A story on the calls a Pittsburgh station got when the Vick signing was made including someone calling Pittsburgh a "cat tahn" and them mixing that into songs.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dattserberg posted:

Valenti and Foster is great. I wish they would get a Lansing affiliate.

Here we're stuck with some local Grand Rapids guys or MSU blowhard Jack Ebling. We also have the pleasure of someone giving hot-take machine Ryan Schuiling a show. He's bottom of the barrel when it comes to local radio hosts. Basically don't expect anything decent on the radio outside of the national shows if you're in mid or west Michigan.

The bottom of the barrel is, was, and will always be Bill Simonson.

- Got fired in Oklahoma for saying a black coach sounds like Buckwheat on the air.
- Got fired in Texas for claiming that his producer's landlord was exposing herself with lap dances at a party, and them got the station sued over those remarks.
- Got fired in Chicago for getting his rear end kicked outside a White Sox game.
- Is now in Grand Rapids, where you have fun incidents like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AsInHowe posted:

The bottom of the barrel is, was, and will always be Bill Simonson.

- Got fired in Oklahoma for saying a black coach sounds like Buckwheat on the air.
- Got fired in Texas for claiming that his producer's landlord was exposing herself with lap dances at a party, and them got the station sued over those remarks.
- Got fired in Chicago for getting his rear end kicked outside a White Sox game.
- Is now in Grand Rapids, where you have fun incidents like this:

Reason for termination: Is a magnificent pussy bitch.