Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Carlosologist posted:

South Beach Sessions has been on a next level run over the last few months

I'd be genuinely interested to seeing one with Stu. Without the persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Put a podcast in your butt?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1674444355329769474?s=20

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

For any Bomani fans, the Evening Jones is back on tonight

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Anals of History posted:

For any Bomani fans, the Evening Jones is back on tonight

almost as happy a surprise as if I'd gone to Overcast and seen it there. Man it's been a while since he's done one, looks from the preview at least it's HBO discussion.

[Edit] description is new but the file is from last March, we’ll see if it gets corrected…

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 6, 2023

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1679247669036822528

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Why does Mike have a wig on?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Who's gonna tell him

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Good show today

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My favorite shows are when Cote is cooking.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

My favorite shows are when Cote is cooking.

Which one

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Dan Patrick is retiring in the next four years.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I think Shinjobi and I are the only ones who care, but it's been very interesting to see the 12-3 timeslot drama on KTCK in DFW.

I've started wondering why more terrestrial local folks aren't jumping into the digital space more, but then again the crap at the Athletic a few weeks back would be enough to scare me off.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Chieves posted:

I think Shinjobi and I are the only ones who care, but it's been very interesting to see the 12-3 timeslot drama on KTCK in DFW.

I've started wondering why more terrestrial local folks aren't jumping into the digital space more, but then again the crap at the Athletic a few weeks back would be enough to scare me off.

I've gotta have my Hang Zone--I'm so drat anxious about this contract negotiation poo poo

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I've gotta have my Hang Zone--I'm so drat anxious about this contract negotiation poo poo

It's the best show they have on the station currently, and unless they're demanding something stupid like morning drive Cumulus is insane to let them go.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Catching up on the Lebatard show this week but uh did anyone else catch Tony Khan talking about Saudi Arabia and saying “if you have enough money you can get away with anything, including murder”

Adun fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 20, 2023

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Adun posted:

Catching up on the Lebatard show this week but uh did anyone else catch Tony Khan talking about Saudi Arabia and saying “if you have enough money you can get away with anything, including murder”

Yeah, TK gives no fucks, it was great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Chieves posted:

It's the best show they have on the station currently, and unless they're demanding something stupid like morning drive Cumulus is insane to let them go.

and they've released a video saying they're gone

sigh

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

and they've released a video saying they're gone

sigh

Ugh, gdi.

Terrestrial radio is hosed. The ad to content ratio just cannot compete with podcasts today.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I have been listening less and less to The Ticket over the past year. The Hang Zone was the last show that really interested me, and with Dan and Jake gone… Dave Lane is the only personality left I enjoy, and he’s third on The Hardline. So, yeah.

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 1, 2023

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Dan's brother passed away from cancer earlier today. He's apparently been deteriorating over the past year and Dan's been absent to be with him. The start of the local hour where he shares this while fighting through tears is genuinely heartbreaking.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
A tremendous meal for the grief eater. Seriously though this sucks

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Anals of History posted:

Dan's brother passed away from cancer earlier today. He's apparently been deteriorating over the past year and Dan's been absent to be with him. The start of the local hour where he shares this while fighting through tears is genuinely heartbreaking.

holy poo poo :smith:

https://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/visual-arts/article277843588.html

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Very very sad. Dan was obviously very proud of him and I remember him coming on the shows for MINDBENDER.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Holy poo poo.

I think I (and everyone else) assumed it was Dan's mother, but this sucks so much worse.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

drat that sucks

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Holy poo poo.

I think I (and everyone else) assumed it was Dan's mother, but this sucks so much worse.

Likewise on both points.

Hearing Dan say that his dad said "we'll see you again soon" to his brother was absolutely heartbreaking. No parent should ever have to say something like that to their child.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Fuuuuuuck.

Fuuuuuuck.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I somehow listened to the first hour live but from like 9:20 am their time, so I missed that news immediately. Then listened to the recorded version and instantly teared up.

gently caress cancer, gently caress having to bury somebody too young. No wonder they tried to get Cote on the fake hard network out a few times, Dan needed the laughs.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Scoops Cote asleep at the wheel.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Following Roy's story about his wife's miscarriage with the "Mike! Marty Schottenheimer died!" rejoin... holy poo poo.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

These segments of Dan grieving have totally ripped my heart out.

I lost my sister when I was a teenager and this is like reliving some of the worst moments of my life vicariously through a sports podcast lol

edit why is Witty back hahahaha

Ehud fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 3, 2023

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Ehud posted:

These segments of Dan grieving have totally ripped my heart out.

I lost my sister when I was a teenager and this is like reliving some of the worst moments of my life vicariously through a sports podcast lol

edit why is Witty back hahahaha

It's been very heavy but then going into Top 5 Coolest People in Heaven and them trying to figure out who is going to leave off Lebo was very funny. This year with my Dad has been almost identical to what Dan has been describing (he probably has a few weeks left) and it's been wild to be spending time with him and then listening to Dan discuss his own grief on my drive home.

Really happy that Witty is in for a few days. I know it's weird to say but this week has had some really amazing shows.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

BWV posted:

It's been very heavy but then going into Top 5 Coolest People in Heaven and them trying to figure out who is going to leave off Lebo was very funny. This year with my Dad has been almost identical to what Dan has been describing (he probably has a few weeks left) and it's been wild to be spending time with him and then listening to Dan discuss his own grief on my drive home.

Really happy that Witty is in for a few days. I know it's weird to say but this week has had some really amazing shows.

Sorry about your dad :smith:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Ehud posted:

Sorry about your dad :smith:

Thanks <3 it sounds weird or maybe obvious but hearing other people talk through something similar, while still being able to joke is really nice. Something comforting about them talking about Kmart and then Stu just bursts out "Kenyon Martin."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

BWV posted:

Thanks <3 it sounds weird or maybe obvious but hearing other people talk through something similar, while still being able to joke is really nice. Something comforting about them talking about Kmart and then Stu just bursts out "Kenyon Martin."

“Mike, Marty Schottenheimer passed away! :haw:” is now a core part of my grieving process.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/pablofindsout/status/1689271868212101120?s=46

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Think Domonique is the best of everyone that's sat in Dan's chair. He seems to be the most self-aware of everyone who's tried, he's thoughtful, and he's able to pass effectively to co-hosts or the Shipping Container. Don't think he'll do it because he'd have to uproot his family and because he doesn't appear to want to be stuck with one job, but I think it'd be awesome if he did.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Anals of History posted:

Think Domonique is the best of everyone that's sat in Dan's chair. He seems to be the most self-aware of everyone who's tried, he's thoughtful, and he's able to pass effectively to co-hosts or the Shipping Container. Don't think he'll do it because he'd have to uproot his family and because he doesn't appear to want to be stuck with one job, but I think it'd be awesome if he did.

IIRC they offered him a job and he turned them down because he doesn't think the company is run well lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ehud posted:

IIRC they offered him a job and he turned them down because he doesn't think the company is run well lol

Yeah, he was offered the COO job because Dan hates dealing with money and business and Foxworth is experienced in that.

He was mostly joking about it not being run well, it's more like He is friends with all of those people. He knows that if he takes that job, and does his job seriously he knows he will at some point have to have conversations about potentially firing one of his or Dan's Friends and that is an absolute lovely position to be put into.

quote:

“Domonique, I wanted him so badly, so very badly to be, I don’t want to handle money. I don’t want to have anything to do with the money and the business of Meadowlark Media,” Le Batard says. “I hate it. And I wanted Domonique to be our COO. And he told me that he would not be. And why did you tell me you would not be? Because I thought we had a real chance to hire you.”

“Um, because, you are friends and family with the people that I was gonna fire,” Foxworth says. “It’s plain and simple.”

Le Batard says “He is being gentle. He told me the reason he wouldn’t take the job is that I’m not going to fire people.”

Foxworth laughs and says “It’s not that it’s specific people. But it’s like you’re trying to run a business or you’re trying to have a family. And I made this joke earlier, you either die a hero or live long enough to sit in meetings. And I walk in this morning, and I see you guys, and you’re sitting in meetings. And that’s what I recognized: if you’re inside the ESPN machine, you guys can be these rebels, and I can come in here, and it can be fun, and joke around, use a key card sometimes, bounce around, and have a good time.”

“But once you are separated, you have to become the establishment a little bit. And my thought was ‘You know what’s not going to go well for me? Trying to turn this group of rebels into some sort of organized structure without the ability to have actual repercussions. Obviously, I don’t want to fire people, you want to train someone, you want them to get better. But the point was it has to exist as a possibility.”

“And I know, from you, that does not exist, at least at that point, that does not exist as a possibility, because you have a utopian view of some of these things. And as much as I, I’m a normal person, so I hate David Samson as much as the next guy, but every now and then, he says some things that are true. Sometimes parts of business are uncomfortable. You hate to hear it, but it’s true.”