Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There was an article in the Miami Herald about a botched, black market penis surgery that left a guy with a mangled dong. (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article109645972.html). They had the author on to talk about it because its weird, horrifying, and a totally Miami story. Seriously, Miami is the mecca of black market cosmetic surgery, there have been cases of rear end implants basically being the stuff the comes out of a fix a flat can, using random bits of rubber, and so on. These "surgeries" are often done in warehouses or even peoples garages. Its a huge, horrifying industry in Miami. Anyways, Dan does a local hour thats only on 790 The Ticket, but anyone can listen to via podcast or the 790 App. He usually talks Heat, Hurricanes, Dolphins, etc, but the local hour is just to talk about all things Miami. Sometimes you won't understand any of the jokes or what they are even talking about if you don't live here, but usually its accessible. Also, because its not carried by ESPN (and Disney) they are allowed to be more free with language, not have to worry as much about clearing permission on footage and songs, and just its usually easier to produce.

However, apparently someone at 790 called Mike Ryan and threatened to yank Dan off the air if they didn't stop the interview and said they couldn't re-air it nationally. Contractually, they can't do that and furthermore ESPN was backing them completely saying they wanted him to re-air it nationally. Dan said the only time he has ever had a confrontation with a boss was when he called up his producers threatening to fire them and such. Dan is super loyal to the people working for him and if you threaten them you get what happened today: him flat out calling their bluff and admonishing them on air. And again, he has all the power and no way he loses that fight so no reason to back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I love that the biggest and most passionate argument in the shows history is over what coach is the hottest.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

I like Abby ripping Stugotz on Mondays

I hope when his daughters are in high school they call in to tell about him helping with homework.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

a neat cape posted:

I want more Roy's top 10

This was the best Roy's Top Ten Twelve:

http://fm1043audio.790theticket.libsynpro.com/roys-top-12-days-of-christmas-12-17-14

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

God damnit 2016 what else is there left for you to take you loving rear end in a top hat.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I still hold out hope that ESPN will take First Take from Stephen A and give Bomani the seat.

Bomani Jones x Max Kellerman every day would be brilliant.

The whole point of First Take is that its the WWE of tv shows and SAS is amazing. Bomani arguing mainstream points about who is better, Lebron or Jordan is a waste of his talents.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Honestly, up until this moment, and that last post even, I honestly had no idea Jonathan Coachman was black.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also Dan is going to win the Lobo Bowl.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Their first day back a tuesday with Cote right?

I hope they open up the local hour with a celebration

Loooo boooo oh oh oh ohhh ohhhhhs

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I love when a new character is created:

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/817172199417270277

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

I loved Magill today saying that he didn't understand how a wombat would have cubed poop because "they'd need a square butthole"

Ron Magill is awesome, every time I go to the zoo I try to catch his lectures/presentations. Also, literally every time he speaks in public at least one person says they came because of the LeBatard show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

a neat cape posted:

What a way to introduce the ESPN 2 audience to the show

Also the first words they got were a phlegmy Stugotz.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I have decided that my new favorite segment in sports radio is the segment after PFTCommenter comes on Bomani's show, where Bo takes phone calls from a bunch of people who don't get it and take everything he says seriously.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Mine was the entire show when Bomani talked about chain snatching

I am talking recurring segments.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

That was my thought too. Turns Mike Jr. is actaully pretty decent, or at least he is when paired with Stugotz.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Wait like the really tall Cuban dude from Zoo Miami?

I thought he was a Paul and Ron thing

Yeah, dude actually got his start with Lebatard. ESPN initially pushed back on having him as a weekly guest, but his popularity has led him to be on SVP Sportscenter, Mike and Mike, and other platforms. Turns out Dan was right that people love hearing about animals, and Ron Magill is super good talking about them in an interesting way.

Edit : Magill actaully has award from the Panamanian government for his attempts to protect the Harpy Eagle, the national bird of Panama, so his exploits are above a national radio segment.

swickles fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 13, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

Who the hell is Guy Harvey?

Imagine if Ed Hardy was a huge Jimmy Buffet fan who did nothing but fish all day.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Omg, the adding and dropping of "s" to surnames is killing me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Holy poo poo...

"Are we on in Boston? How dumb are you people? Seriously, how stupid are you guys?"

Lebatard just flat out dunking on Boston fans.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Anals of History posted:

That said, Charlie Pierce coming on today and (inadvertently) returning fire was also great.

Eh, to me he just sounded like one of those guys that runs yourteamcheats.com.

"Well, it wasn't really cheating, plus everyone does it sooo....."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

Sitting here crying from laughter at them replaying Stugotz gurgly choking question to Aaron Schatz over and over

And Aaron being completely oblivious to the joke.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh my god, that epic sound of Stugotz talking himself out of a ticket while doing an interview...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

This might be the best week they have ever had.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Good Lord Lebatard is firing on all cylinders lately. Dirty Demon of Debate nailing Cote on the hard network out, the Stephen A joke, vintage Ron.

Seriously, I have never laughed as hard while driving than when Mike made the Stephen A joke.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Stugotz's restaurant reservations are amazing

Its not just getting the reservation, its getting it at the exact time he wants. Like once he got what he wanted, he just kept escalating. I have sweet talked my way into airport lounges before, but now I am setting my sights higher.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

algebra testes posted:

Dan's Dad singing Chris Isaak is something I never knew I needed.

You should probably check out his readings of 50 Shades of Grey then.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

algebra testes posted:

I don't know the context, or background to "Setting up Greg Cote to miss the hard network breaks" but it destroys me every time it happens.

I missed the show today and haven't had a chance to catch up on podcast, but I saw on twitter it was epic. My favorite is the non conventional and clearly super carefully timed out ones that catch him. Like playing the whole intro for the Back in My Day have him say two syllables and then cut off. I also like how they bring in others to get him randomly, like Allison got him this week for what I think is the first time.

The origin of it is that in radio within an hour, the segments are controlled by the producers of the show. If a segment goes long because its an interview, they adjust the next one to be shorter. However, at the end of every hour is the "hard network out" where they are over-ridden no matter what. They used to end it by simply screaming HARD NETWORK OUT at the last second, but then they just decided to let Cote stumble into it. After trying to fix it through various methods (including Dan wearing a literal countdown clock on his hat) and Cote still failing, they just decided to see if they could walk him into it as much as possible.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I wish I was the medical correspondent for Dan :(.

Edit: omg this hot take version of Ethan Strauss is hilarious. He is going full Stugotz.

swickles fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 3, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

When I first started listening to the show a few years ago, Stu mentioned he had twin daughters and my first reaction was "I can't wait to see how Stu reacts to them dating in a couple years". Today that paid off.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hockey Dude far from the mic returns!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am loving these live look ins to First Take. Its amazing how can they can just randomly cut to Stephen A Smith and someone else just screaming at each other. Like I finally understand the people who watch youtube videos of people watching and commenting on Let's Play videos.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I listened to the Morning Roast crew fill in for Bomani two weeks ago, and then after Mina Kimes appearance on Lebatard, I decided to give Morning Roast podcast a shot and its pretty good. They have a good chemistry and have a nice blend of sports and nonsense.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

We should be doing more to help veterans.

Joe Mixon shouldn't face any punishment in the NFL.

Teachers are underpaid.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

They did it to him with a Back in My Day a couple weeks ago and he got pissed, so lets see about this...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Just heard Diamond Dallas drop a full on "gently caress you!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

If you didn't listen live to the local hour you really missed out. Genuinely curious how long the podcast will be.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Anals of History posted:

poo poo, what happened?

Used a lot of sound they dont have national clearence to, then remixed it with music. It was Francesa letting out a 7.5 second long "uhhhhhhhhhhhh".

They even joked and said the podcast was going to be 4 minutes long.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

CBS likes to be a dick to ESPN.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh poo poo. Foxworth has really proven hinself in hia short career so he is a great choice, but I don't know if he is willing to move to Miami (Dan will straight up retire before he leaves Miami).

Mina Kimes would be good too, she has great chemistry with all the weirdness that comes with the LeBatard family. Dark horse candidate: Guillermo.

The Bo and Pablo show is either going to be fantastic, or so terribly far up its own rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I have come full circle and now love Wake and Take. The past two days have been literal madness.