Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Podcasts are fantastic for catching up on sports while working out or handling domestic poo poo. I've grown to love Le Batard's show and have a hard time listening to regular sports radio as a result. The misery they inflicted on Mike & Mike fans last week was well deserved. Having a harder time warming up to Bomani's current show, especially by contrast to The Evening Jones, but it's still worth the time.

I burned out pretty hard on Kornheiser's show. He's had to tone down the vitriol that made him funny ever since he compared Hannah Storm to a sausage. Also, you can only listen for so long to the stories about the Redskins being run by utter shitheels without actually being a Redskins fan.

Sort-of radio, but I'm hoping Woody Paige's 500th win on Around the Horn means that they'll Old Yeller him soon. I hate his schtick, his volume, his contempt for Bomani, and that he continually rides for Tebow.

swickles posted:

To get things started, I heard Sarah Spain guest co-hosting on Lebatard yesterday and she was pretty cool. Hadn't heard her before and she fit in with the style really well.

I agree, and really hope she takes off. She was definitely enjoyable, and it'd be nice to have someone from the Midwest cover sports who wasn't over-the-top blue collar proletariat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Just now catching up with Bomani. Really like Shannon as someone for him to bounce off of. I'm still amazed that whoever edits the podcasts 1) leaves minutes of silence in the middle, and 2) still thinks buttrock guitar riffs and bells fit with the tone of the show.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Israel Gutierrez came out a few days ago. He wrote a little bit on previously being closeted and how his life has changed since meeting his fiancee: http://t.co/my3Svpv7Az

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Winkie01 posted:

Lebatard is already better than anything cowherd has done in this time slot. Is highly questionable done? Cos I am going to be pissed that was the best show espn has.

Think they're back today. Also, sometime in October, they're going to have someone fill in for Papi. The only thing that seems certain to kill this show any time in the near future is either a lack of Papi or lack of suitable alternative.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

swickles posted:

Bomani is taking over Lebatards old spot, 4-7 EST. That's pretty cool, the only way I could hear Bomani before was to do the whole podcast thing.

From Twitter

quote:

Perfect! Now you are free to follow this season of Empire!

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

swickles posted:

Haha, I have to say when I keep seeing these ads for Empire, I wonder if Bomani is going to live tweet it again, or if he would just have live commentary on the radio.

God I hope he live tweets it again, even if his conscience doesn't want to allow it. #BoHatesEmpire was glorious.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Cote's starting to figure out the hard network out. :(

Trast posted:

I've always looked at them as the Daily Show for sports. They are mostly taking a piss but they come up with quality points a lot.

I'd agree with that, and add that they do a good job treating serious problems (CTE, sexual assault, mental/emotional trauma) seriously and not-serious things (sports). It's amazing when you listen to something like Mike & Mike and see all of the above completely reversed.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I think I'm kinda sorta becoming a Dolphins and Heat fan. At least, I think now I can name more Dolphins than Lions players. It's a little early in life to be feeling like a snowbird.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Dattserberg posted:

I'm beginning to hate this team so goddamn much

What took you so long?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

indigi posted:

I just found out that Giants OL Geoff Schwartz has a podcast specifically about offensive line play, which sounds like it could be pretty interesting. Just subscribed, has anyone given it a listen yet? Either way, I'll report back with a review.

I'm listening to BEM #2 right now. So far, I'm finding it a little dry, and I don't think they really have enough content for 45 min. There's a lot of stuff in there (like their discussions of concussions or Chip Kelly) that you've already heard or read elsewhere. You don't really get to interesting technical OL discussions 'til about 30 min in. Even then, it's a chore to listen to because their voices are so low and they break into jargon occasionally.

tl;dr - There's promise and good content, but this isn't an enjoyable listen just yet.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I was absolutely blown away by that Buck interview. Like, I needed them to confirm a couple of times that this was indeed Joe Buck on the line.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

That's my #2 favorite clip from the show. This is my #1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPU_hySsYSg

e: I can't find clips, but Papi reading exerpts from 50 Shades of Grey is also outstanding.

Anals of History fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 11, 2016

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

That entire conversation was surreal and hilarious. It's a bummer that they didn't have cameras set up yet to watch things get more and more awkward.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Ehud posted:

LeBatard is finally back today. I didn't realize how addicted I had become to this dumb show!

Seriously. My house is a mess because I tend to handle chores when I have something to listen to. I like Jorge and Izzy as people, but their show stinks.

e: Also, gently caress their producer for trying to defend Cardinals fans and pretending the citizens of @bestfansstlouis just don't exist.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

The ongoing gag about Stugotz not paying Billy for past work and instead splurging on creature comforts genuinely boils my blood, though.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Important enough news to justify the double post:
https://twitter.com/TaraESPN/status/761208105157926912

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

The name of the show will be Weekend Observations.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Happy to have the local hour back. I've been listening to some previous TrueHoop podcasts to fill the void. They're pretty good if you 1) like basketball at least somewhat, 2) like Amin Elhassan, and 3) you avoid the ones with Brian Windhurst pretending to be just one of the guys.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

swickles posted:

So, who thinks Stugotz stayed overnight in the studio tonight? I am betting he aid off the wrong security guard to say he was there all night. Wish I was in Miami tonight, I would totally take a trip down there to see.

Solution: alcohol. Dude's going to be a loving trainwreck tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Stugotz790/status/774071969788620800

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

swickles posted:

Two things: you had to hear it live because it probably wont be in the podcast, but the local hour opened with a dance party (its on periscope and twitter ).

Trunp reading Stugotz quotes is amazing.

That's good to hear because the Kaepernick talk (or, more accurately, the response to it) over the past couple of days has been a bummer.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

For anyone who missed LeBatard's podcast, Dan 1) trashed Stugotz in a distinctly more personal way than normal, 2) talked about quitting or going on hiatus, 3) claimed to be bored and to have outgrown the show, 4) casually joked about killing himself, and 5) had the rest of the supporting cast genuinely freaking out. That's most of the local and first hour. The remainder is this weird, cold truce and a much more sports-heavy focus than normal. This might be the end.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Not yet, but I'm really happy to hear that everything's back on track.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

My favorite part of that clip is that Roy is smiling.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I couldn't listen to the mangled penis interview. Just noooooope

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

a neat cape posted:

It was yesterday on the national show at some point

I want to say like, halfway or 3/4 through either hour 2 or 3. Don't think anything beat Hand Diego Dischargers.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Bomani signed a multi-year deal with ESPN, so 'The Right Time' should be on for a few years more. It's also possible he and Pablo Torre get a studio show together.

That show seems like the likely replacement for HQ once Dan gets himself fired and/or Papi dies.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I still hold out hope that ESPN will take First Take from Stephen A and give Bomani the seat.

Bomani Jones x Max Kellerman every day would be brilliant.

The only part of the format I'd want from First Take is having two people talk to each other rather than trying to talk through the fourth wall. Like, I get way more enjoyment out of the podcasts with Bo/Dan and Desus/Mero joking with one another than I get from their respective TV shows.

Outside of that, though, First Take and everything it stands for can get hosed.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

That photochop where someone put Crying Jordan's eyes and lips on Coach is haunting.

Also pretty sure Coachman has had his face pressed up inside at least two obese, bare asses on live TV. If I'm him, I would never, ever talk poo poo.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

If it hasn't been mentioned already, if you like LeBatard and you like basketball, it's worth checking out the TrueHoop podcasts. Tues and Thurs podcasts are basketball content heavy, Monday and Friday is more friends loving around/pop culture, and Wednesday is a little bit of both. They even manage to make Brian Windhorst slightly less haughty and prickish.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Weebly posted:

I heard RBI baseball music the other day and had a fond feeling about the games like "I gotta tell ya" "I got news for ya" and 'its embarrassing to say this but". Does anyone else have weird bits they ran into the ground that you still love. Kentucky fraud chickens were another but they were just used a few days ago.

Papi reading excerpts from Fifty Shades of Grey made me laugh so hard I cried. Also, "JR Smith wants to know if you're tryna get the pipe." Basically, Papi reading anything out loud will kill me.

e: Gotz did Hot Take Diva on Sportscenter this morning:
https://twitter.com/DonnyDiCaprio/status/819180867805466624

Anals of History fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 12, 2017

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

swickles posted:

Holy poo poo...

"Are we on in Boston? How dumb are you people? Seriously, how stupid are you guys?"

Lebatard just flat out dunking on Boston fans.

That said, Charlie Pierce coming on today and (inadvertently) returning fire was also great.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

swickles posted:

Good Lord Lebatard is firing on all cylinders lately. Dirty Demon of Debate nailing Cote on the hard network out, the Stephen A joke, vintage Ron.

Seriously, I have never laughed as hard while driving than when Mike made the Stephen A joke.

I loved Cote mixing up @and &, and Mike losing his poo poo over a $2 fine. Was laughing the whole time.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Tim MacMahon is a gem and I wish he'd pop up on more podcasts than just Tuesdays on TrueHoop. Also, Brian Windhorst is the biggest bitch under God's hot sun and I wish he'd get banished to NBA.tv or something.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

swickles posted:

I also like how they bring in others to get him randomly, like Allison got him this week for what I think is the first time.

I loved that so much. It's not enough to have Dan or Stu dunk on Cote anymore. Now they're setting up alley-oops.

The only cutoff more vicious than getting Cote to start a Back in my Day two seconds before the show ended was getting him in the middle of a somber thought about Jose Fernandez the day after he died. That one made me gasp out loud.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

swickles posted:

I wish I was the medical correspondent for Dan :(.

Edit: omg this hot take version of Ethan Strauss is hilarious. He is going full Stugotz.

There's more Radio Ethan out there, and it's worth tracking down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMONm70zs48

Mildly related, but one of the things I've laughed at hardest in the past couple of years was TrueHoop guys roasting Ethan through a fake trial for not having anyone black at his wedding. The ending was perfect, too. http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play/_/id/17557859

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Copied from elsewhere:

Febreeze posted:

Jim Tomsula shaved his mustache and I'm very mad about it

https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/838451989201694721

Pour one out for the Looks Like MVP

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

algebra testes posted:

I just came here to post this. The gang watching first take was amazing.

It really was. For anyone who missed it: https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/845052636764262400

So much good stuff:
Mina Kimes getting cut off in the middle of a calm, cogent point to jump back to indiscriminate screaming.
"If you're just joining us, we are watching television."
Lavar Ball threatening to cook SAS pancakes
Stugotz's unchanging expression as he appears incapable of processing all of these takes

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

I too want to see Stugotz on Adderall

Adderall Mondays is a fantastic idea.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/diamond-dallas-page-dan-le-batard-monkey.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

quote:

“Monkey, who the hell do you think you’re talking to? I’m Positively Page! You think I’m going to sling your garbage? Unfuckingbelievable! gently caress you!” And he hangs up

Cote's reaction: https://twitter.com/samrogers88/status/849308139283525632

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

swickles posted:

If you didn't listen live to the local hour you really missed out. Genuinely curious how long the podcast will be.

poo poo, what happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Sounds like TrueHoop is on indefinite hiatus. I'm more hurt over this than I'd like to admit.