Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I pretty much stick with ESPN Radio. I loved SVP and Russillo, and I'm looking forward to Russillo and Kanell. Those two have a fantastic chemistry.

I'm really curious what they'll do with Cowherd's spot. Part of me thinks that LeBatard filling in for Mike and Mike was some kind of audition for an earlier spot, but if that's the case then I think they will stay put. People on Twitter really hated them. I thought it was the best episode of Mike and Mike ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

I still don't understand how so many people hate Mike and Mike. It's literally the most inoffensive vanilla show. I can see being utterly indifferent, but hate should be reserved for Colin Cowherd.

I think Mike and Mike crosses into "so bland that I dislike it" territory. They're the Taylor Swift of sports radio.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ya'll watch this video that has mike and mike in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibsV3E56d0c

their part starts at 49 seconds

it's perfect

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ty1990 posted:

heyyyyyyyyyyy greeny!

yesssssssssssss golic?

*lovely subway commercial that ends with a golic fat joke*

So much of their show is just doing reads. So many ads.

It's like listening to a NASCAR :gonk:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-consequen.html

tons of info here about LeBatard probably moving to Cowherd's slot

quote:

South Florida’s sports radio landscape, marked by turnover and tumult all summer, is on the verge of undergoing its most seismic change yet:

At ESPN’s urging, Dan Le Batard is expected to move to the 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. slot, replacing Fox-bound Colin Cowherd, provided ESPN Radio agrees to contractual terms with Le Batard’s on-air partner, Jon Weiner.

Though Le Batard is on board with the move, the network must still negotiate with Weiner, known to most of the country as Stugotz. Le Batard naturally wants his friend to be taken care of, so that small hurdle remains.

ESPN President John Skipper is a big fan of Le Batard and the top ESPN executives all advocated his move to mornings, partly because more affiliates carry ESPN Radio from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. (morning drive on the West Coast) than from 4 to 7 p.m.

Presuming the deal gets done --- and all parties are declining comment --- here are the wide-ranging ramifications:

### Though no final decision has been made, former Miami Herald sports writers Ethan J. Skolnick (most recently of Bleacher Report) and Israel Gutierrez (who works for ESPN) are considered top candidates to fill Le Batard’s afternoon slot locally on 104.3 The Ticket but not nationally on ESPN Radio.

Under that scenario, there would be some consideration to adding a third person in a traffic-cop type host role, but that decision hasn’t been made. Chris Wittyngham and Josh Friedman would be capable options for that position, but station management prefers not to break them up, which seems sensible because of their strong chemistry.

Adam Kuperstein, who would like to resume doing local radio after being dropped by WQAM-560, cannot do a late afternoon show because of NBC-6 commitments. Friedman, Brian London and Eric Reed would be internal options.

The program would run from either 3 to 7 p.m. or 4 to 7 p.m. There is some thought being given to airing a “Best of Le Batard” show, with highlights of his morning program, from 3 to 4 p.m.

Even a taped Le Batard hour probably would be a stronger lead-in to Skolnick and Gutierrez (should they land the gig) than a live show hosted by someone else.

Over the past three years, Skolnick has appeared regularly during the 1 to 3 p.m. slot with Reed and former NFL player Leroy Hoard. Gutierrez appears twice a week on The Ticket’s morning show with Jonathan Zaslow and Joy Taylor.

### Le Batard and Weiner have expressed a willingness to do a “local hour” from 9 to 10 a.m., similar to their current 3-4 p.m. hour that airs only The Ticket.

Joe Rose has been the most competitive of any WQAM host in the ratings battle against The Ticket, with Rose and Zaslow/Taylor each winning multiple ratings books against the other over the past few months. A Le Batard hour at 9 a.m. might draw some listeners from the final hour of Rose.

### Wittyngham and Friedman, who shifted to mornings following Cowherd’s departure last month, likely would return to 7 to 10 p.m., unless the station decides to shift them to afternoon drive.

### Bomani Jones, who hosts a 9-11 p.m. show on ESPN Radio, is the front-runner to replace Le Batard nationally from 4 to 7 p.m. But The Ticket --- which has a marketing partnership with The Miami Herald --- prefers to air local programming during those hours.

ESPN Radio is expected to ask The Ticket to air an additional ESPN program besides Le Batard’s, but the station’s contract doesn’t explicitly require that.

At some point, The Ticket might air ESPN Radio on one of its signals (790 AM) and local programming, plus Le Batard, on the other (104.3 FM).

### Marc Hochman, whose WQAM show recently moved up an hour (to 2 p.m.) and added Channing Crowder, would no longer be competing with Le Batard, whose program Hochman previously produced. Le Batard generates the market's highest sports-talk ratings.

Le Batard's shift to mornings could give the personable Hochman a chance to make inroads in the ratings, though a potential Skolnick/Gutierrez pairing also would have wide appeal and name recognition inside the market.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

Waddle and Silvy loving blow

Yeah I haven't enjoyed them at all this week

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

the new Scott Van Pelt sportscenter starts on Monday night after the VT/OSU game.

I miss him on radio still :(

Me too. I haven't caught the new show since it was officially changed over. Gonna try to listen tomorrow.

I may DVR the new SVP show. I can't stay up that late :smith:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Today is the first day of Dan Lebatard in the 10-1 slot.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross I think over time you will like Lebatard more and more. He always makes it a point to ask good questions and really tries to make his guests answer thoughtfully and not give throwaway answers.

Tomorrow is Ron McGill, which is always a favorite segment of mine. Animals own.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@ESPNDari: Nice of @ColinCowherd to diss @ESPNU, who gave him a TV platform 3 hours every day. Yep, those fine folks sure deserve that. #GoodLuckBro

lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cowherd is kind of unique in that he is actually a bad person and not just a lame sports guy.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ramadu posted:

loving George W. Bush is going to be on Mike & Mike tomorrow morning. Who the gently caress though that was a good plan?

he was the president during 9/11 and people want to hear about 9/11 on 9/11

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

holy crap these guys are awful

http://media.weei.com/a/110648159/dan-le-batard-is-a-liar-11-3-15.htm

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross what hour did Lebatard respond to the WEEI guys?

edit: nevermind, it's at the beginning of the second hour: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=14051759

Ehud fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 4, 2015

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NC-17 posted:

Boston assholes racist and homophobic, news at 11.

well yeah, but these guys are an ESPN affiliate saying this horrible stuff about one of ESPN's national guys so it's kind of surprising that they would be this stupid

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

And then calling Dan the liar, which is just hilariously stupid.

In other news, Stugotz is eating 36 mini powdered donuts on the show tomorrow.

Is the show growing on you at all? Have you listened to Ron Magill's zoo segments?

NC-17 posted:

Oh man are you kidding me if there's one thing ESPN loves it's creating its own controversy so they can fill endless hours talking about it.

I hope the WEEI guys get fired so I can go on Twitter and read about how ESPN is too PC and why can't we say Lebatard is a fag who is fresh off the boat

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

Kinda. I just needed to stop listening to it as a sports show and listen to it as a parody of a sports show. The constant racism angles that Dan brings up get kinda repetitive, but the other segments are great. The bucket of death/grid of humiliation are awesome.

Yeah it is very much not a Serious Sports Show™ and I think that's why I like it.

I love that they don't let guys give boring athlete answers. Dan would rather do no interviews at all than do boring Mike and Mike style interviews and I appreciate that.

Glad you're enjoying it a little more than you originally did

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I have to say, the donut challenge between Stugotz and Golic has provided more entertaining content that I expected. Golic is about to attempt to eat 36 mini powder donuts in the next hour and if he does it, Stugotz has to shave his head/chest/etc.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hahahaha golic just did it in like 10 minutes while staying in the conversation

he ate an omelette beforehand

golic is a fat idiot I love it

stugotz took 3 hours to try and eat the same amount and failed

edit: he just went offset to get the bag of donuts and eat more

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

oh man I gotta watch this :unsmith:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hahahaha when the stugotz stuff started I lost it

my favorite thing about the restaurant reservations is "__ pm, prime time, baby"

He's so good at being that guy

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

Ehud after listening to Lebatard for the last two days I can conclude that Stugotz is the best person on earth

Tuesday's with he and Greg Cote just screwing around while Dan tries to do the show are the best. I want to go to the Stugotz School of Broadcasting.

Also you get Ron Magill on Tuesday's which is the highlight of my week.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Normally I think Mike and Mike is boring, but it's fun when they have Russillo as a guest host. This morning it's Greeny, Russillo AND Kannell and it's pretty entertaining.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If the Warriors win, Stugotz has to get his belly button pierced.

If the Cavs win, Dan has to recreate the Prince Fielder body issue picture on the left.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/lebatardshow/status/738723448470548480

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Stugotz explaining to Mila Kunis why he hates JJ Watt

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/755432201378942976

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

Mila Kunis was a real good radio guest

Yeah I hope they were serious about making her a friend of the show.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeBatard is finally back today. I didn't realize how addicted I had become to this dumb show!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Anals of History posted:

Important enough news to justify the double post:
https://twitter.com/TaraESPN/status/761208105157926912

This is going to be amazing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeBatard and Stugotz are both off for a couple of weeks :smith:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeBatard and Stugotz are back today after 2 weeks off.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

they're talking about pooping your pants today hahahaha

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Norm making picks is so good.

The best part was when Goodell's voice comes on in the background of the call and they're like, "Norm what are you doing?" and Norm says, "I'm watching the draft."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I listened to the local hour of LeBatard on the way into work today. The "12 year old Greg Cote being molested by 24 year old Jon Gruden the magician" almost had me in tears.

"Reach into this hat"

good god

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/lebatardshow/status/780157156913975297

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is all I could find re: Mike and Mike splitting

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/09/28/mike-golic-greenberg-espn-radio-sportscenter

Basically they would give Mike Greenberg his own morning show and then put Golic with Golic Jr. for a radio show.

And yeah, LeBatard has been a jackass to Stugotz lately. It's starting to get on my nerves.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

Stu has been worse than usual though

Maybe so, but I have zero interest in listening to Dan paired with anyone else.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

What about Greg Cote

I think Cote is perfect once per week. Tuesday is easily my favorite day of the show. You get Back in My Day, the new Soup segment, the Lobos update, he and Stugotz ruining Dan's life, Ron Magill...

But the show needs Stugotz to survive. LeBatard would kill Cote if he was on every single day.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

My favorite day is any time the bucket of death makes an appearance

Today was an all-time great bucket of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

I can't wait til my ride home

How'd you like the show, Ross?