Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Ehud posted:

It was up and down. The beginning was rough. I think the best shows were with Izzy who is just a supremely likable dude who gets the show. Dianna was a fun, too.

Look Stu didn't ask for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
POUNCEY BLOCK

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Today is going to be Stugotz' nightmare isn't it.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
loving Uber Eats gently caress your search not being able to find me any Zinger Mountain Melts nearby

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I don't always agree with Dan but can usually see the logic of where he's coming from on issues. That said, we need to see someone potentially dying on TV from a undiagnosed cardiac condition that is almost certainly not connected to soccer because greed?

That felt like some cheap hot take poo poo that is just so far from what the show usually does. Even weirder was the idea that Red Zone doesn't show injuries, which they absolutely do. Then we had the fumbling of the timeline with him saying that the players went out not knowing if he was dead or alive. It was an attempt to force this event into the larger thesis with the NBA and injuries and it was just ugly.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 15, 2021

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well certainly nothing happening in the world of sports broadcasting for them to discuss this week.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The Fjord jokes destroyed me

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
There might be a teeny bit of diminishing returns kicking in on the fake guest front. They're fun but it's been like 3-4 in the last two weeks, Ron on the warpath is always awesome though.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well with Osaka and Biles I get the sense we might be getting a segment on pressure and monied interests on Olympic athletes. Just please don't repeat your thesis like 5 times in a row Dan.

How many chik'n minis could Comaneci eat?

Edit: While I'm here I know it's a super long shot and slightly outside of the wheelhouse but some Paralympic love before the NFL season gets rolling would be super cool.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 27, 2021

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Expecting at LEAST five plaintive “but stugotz…..”s from him

I get why it happens is the thing. It's a bit of a hold over from dealing with a more transient radio audience and I understand why it's habit that can develop, especially when you're pumping out 10+ hours of content a week. What makes me sad is when the conversation amongst the rest of the crew has moved on to actually dissecting the issue and we come back to "THE MONEY!!!!". Also hey Marlins, send me some poo poo, I live in Tennessee and I'm a British import, I have no obvious baseball allegiance. Win me over. I dare you.

Edit: Dear god I think I agreed with everything Chris Russo said and I am shaken to my core

J33uk fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 27, 2021

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Got the hour 2 pod pumped into the room where I was getting an MRI last night. Not the best audio quality for obvious reasons but it made an hour in the doom tube flyby.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Fooooooooootballlllllllllll!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh dear god the Glennon segment. Oh gently caress he's 4 years younger than me what the gently caress.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well that Chapelle take was... A journey? A long, confusing journey.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

swickles posted:

Haven't heard it yet, but a few months ago Dan went to what is now the Chappelle special and said it was bad (in part because he was clearly hammered) and he doubled down on the transphobia stuff, which is in line with almost every review I have seen.

They make it to a fairly interesting conclusion but it's definitely one of those "But Stugotz..." sorta trips.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Holy poo poo I'm a day behind and just hit the Urban Dictionary quote and just holy loving poo poo

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'm guessing I'm a narrow slice of the audience that grew up with Pingu. Dude knew how to party with some seals and poo poo.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh god Stugotz was right all along

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I've fallen out of love with the F1 minute (which isn't a huge issue since they're done till March). It just comes down to someone reading a note card really fast for 60 seconds. It'll be fun to see what poo poo they can get up to during the Miami race.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah I think it's fine to skip some hours and having it broken up the way it is helps a lot. For example, a 40 minute postgame discussing NIL and college football isn't something I need since Dan is going to make the same points for the 20th time. I appreciate his passion for the subject but I'm pretty sure I know what he's going to be saying.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I think that's the first time a Ron Magill segment has actively become unfun for me to listen to

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I think I don't need anymore crypto talk. It's become like the Chapelle discussion, the same three statements repeated long enough to numb you to whatever point they're trying to make.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
There's something about Dan overcorrecting and referring to a C-section as disemboweling and tearing out your organs when there's a genuine stigma about it is juuuuuuuust about right.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

swickles posted:

If you have never seen a C-section, it is actually one of the most violent and visceral surgeries. Part of the reason is you don't want a scalpel close to the baby, so once the main incisions are made and its time to remove the baby, the rest of manipulation is done by hand. So you are quite literally tearing the skin, viscera, and even uterus while doing it.

Oh I know, some uncomfortably second hand experience for me, it's just given the way some mothers feel tremendous guilt about having one this can kinda snap back in the other direction. Most surgery is way gnarlier than any of us want to admit though.

Also the show can be brutal post-surgery (racked up a few in recent months) when Billy gets you laughing before you've braced your body.

Plus the first time I heard long stat of the day last year was 2 hours after a bowel resection looking for something fun to distract me and that was also a dangerous game with the laughter.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I think the lour today gave me whiplash

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Dan being surprised by the Brady ordering expensive wine and then bailing thing might be the strangest thing from a weird week of shows. Hasn't this come up in multiple seasons of Hard Knocks, tons of articles etc? I mean at least nobody is getting sodomized with a broomhandle.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I think that may have been the worst Local Hour for quite some time.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Dan doing the Ezra Miller vs. Will Smith comp based on race was pretty spectacular

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

a neat cape posted:

I still like hearing Dan talk.

Stu I have completely checked out on

Yeah despite my complaints I'm still enjoying Dan and the whole crew in general. When you're putting out that much podcast every week you're gonna get a few duds. Plus the skip 30 seconds function can get you out of most trouble.

Edit: For today's show: I don't mind Ricky and find his perspective pretty interesting but mixing in "treating" concussions sours the whole deal

J33uk fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 20, 2022

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So are the Hurricanes or the Hurricane going to cause more drama on the show this week?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I know it's sort of the joke but I'm not sure it was in this case... God Bless Futbol thinking Wales is Scandinavian is loving astonishing.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Some excellent Thanksgiving hosting discussion on the Shutdown Fullcast this week

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Okay the Post Game Show today is something that took me a few goes to get through. I cried. As someone with birth defects that have somewhat crippled my life and will bring it to a conclusion sooner that I'd like it wrecked me. I cannot understand how incredibly brave they had to be to do this. I am in awe of their bravery, honesty and openness. Roy and his wife are loving strong.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Billy and Tua talking about kids is pretty heartwarming

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The George Toma interview is one of the most astonishing pieces of radio ever produced.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'm pretty much fine with all the Heat and Panthers talk/hype because of course a Miami based show would get like that. I am however getting a little burned out on people in the media talking about being in the media and how that impacts them. We all know how the sausage is made by now, I'm just starting to not really care. Also, Dan, we know you've learned what the word aggregated means, you can take it easy.

Edit: Just finished the postgame. Yeah, all the talk of emotional vulnerability mattering (and they at least sort of acknowledged the hypocrisy) and we all giggle at Block expressing empathy for other club players like him. Not loving the vibes these last few weeks. It's still the most listenable general sports podcast but something feels off lately.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 23, 2023

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Put a podcast in your butt?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well that was plenty awkward today.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

It felt kinda like it started as a bit but then the stuff they were throwing at each other... Maybe hit both of them a little closer than they'd like? It wasn't particularly enjoyable to listen to either way.

Doesn't really matter anyway as we're about to hit football and the great fall Sportsaggedon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'm usually cool with Mystery Crate but drat nothing makes me feel older than listening to the younger members of the crew spending ten minutes about what they've been watching on Tik Tok. Then oh boy this one video was so funny that they had to repost it on their Instagram and... Yeah.