Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negatron00
Apr 18, 2015

...play mstie for me
Alrighty gals and guys, goons and goons, here's Metroid: Zero Mission as streamed by me, Negatron00

Nothing special here folks, other than the fact that I'm new to LP and streaming. If you're looking for high effort production values, look elsewhere.
This is all about me cutting my teeth on the technicals of doing a live streamed LP. If you have ANY advice, technical or otherwise, please chime in! I want to get good, but there is only so much I can learn without also doing!

I chose M:ZM as a sort of "comfort game" that I don't have to worry about too much. Its nice and short too, so this little experiment of mine shouldn't have to last very long.

A few disclaimers:
This is only my 2nd serious LP attempt (see my first, Lifeless Planet, subtitled, here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3716522 )
This is my 1st attempt at actual spoken commentary
This is my 1st (allegedly) decent attempt at live streaming
I have no following

If anyone wants to skype or something to help rescue me from my own awful commentary, by all means step forward!

I plan to do up to 2 episodes a week, probably on Saturday and Sunday. It really shouldn't take more than a couple weeks to finish out the game.

I am streaming out of Hitbox.tv - http://hitbox.tv/Negatron00
I will post when I am going to stream here on this thread, the Let's Stream Thread, and on my Twitter (@Negatron00)

Stream recordings will be put up on Youtube with as little delay as possible

I posted my first stream to the Let's Stream Thread, sadly no live viewers but hey, I gave it the old college try anyway. I guess it will have to do for an Episode 01.

Here's hoping this doesn't get ravaged too hard by y'all!

Ep 01 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttHYChIIiaU

Negatron00 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Your commentary is really quiet. Also, why the hell is the game set to the left side of the screen?

Negatron00
Apr 18, 2015

...play mstie for me

anilEhilated posted:

Your commentary is really quiet. Also, why the hell is the game set to the left side of the screen?

Yeah, still figuring out an ideal recording set up...i'll post details later
Its offset to allow for the hitbox chat window to be visible, you probably just couldn't tell what it was cuz there was no active chat

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What's more annoying after watching the first few minutes, is all the 'hanging' frames. Like, after a frame it jumps back to the PREVIOUS frame and then moves on. Makes things look very twitchy. I think that's caused by the stream lag interfering with your recording set-up. If you could figure out a way to fix that, it would be great. Hmm, seems this might be a problem on my end? I'm getting it on other vids too, now.

Edit: Okay, to be honest, I do think your commentary is a bit boring. One thing I suggest is making it more informative. During this playthrough, explain what enemies are called and what they do once you encounter them. Especially for bosses. Also explain what all the pickups and items do.

For later games, that gives you a nice basis to expand upon. In what way have they changed up things? In what ways have they stayed the same?

I mean, while most people have heard of the Metroid series, I don't think you can assume everyone has played every single game.

Additionally, I think guest commentators would be a good idea. Get Slowbeef to guest whenever you fight Ridley :cheeky:

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 16, 2015

Negatron00
Apr 18, 2015

...play mstie for me

Carbon dioxide posted:

What's more annoying after watching the first few minutes, is all the 'hanging' frames. Like, after a frame it jumps back to the PREVIOUS frame and then moves on. Makes things look very twitchy. I think that's caused by the stream lag interfering with your recording set-up. If you could figure out a way to fix that, it would be great. Hmm, seems this might be a problem on my end? I'm getting it on other vids too, now.

Edit: Okay, to be honest, I do think your commentary is a bit boring. One thing I suggest is making it more informative. During this playthrough, explain what enemies are called and what they do once you encounter them. Especially for bosses. Also explain what all the pickups and items do.

For later games, that gives you a nice basis to expand upon. In what way have they changed up things? In what ways have they stayed the same?

I mean, while most people have heard of the Metroid series, I don't think you can assume everyone has played every single game.

Additionally, I think guest commentators would be a good idea. Get Slowbeef to guest whenever you fight Ridley :cheeky:

Thanks CO2! Yeah, I didn't think I let something as bad as recording lag get past me, heh heh.
I will definitely approach this more informational in future streams. Also I just figured that this is probably the millionth time there's been a metroid ZM or metroid series LP here on SA. I kinda left out the non-SA audience, heh heh..

And yes definitely to co-commentators. I am accepting offers along those lines. Save me from myself!

• Locked thread