Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Coffeehitler posted:

You need a troop at 15 to rank up your Kingdom. The only reason I know of to have multiples of a troop is to have them defend multiple kingdoms for pvp (attach them to multiple banners).

Ranking up kingdoms helps with getting tributes and increased stat bonuses if you have that kingdom selected.

This is true too, but I still recall there was something in the tutorial about having 10 of a single unit. Maybe it was a max. I dont remember since I speed through those things.

Speaking of not reading, I barely bought the land with the treasure hunt mini game. Did my tutorial map, made about 1200 gold and other stuff out of it but there was no summary screen. I was wondering if there was a wiki that laid out the pieces and what they gave.

Bronze(1), silver(3), gold, sack, bronze chest, silver chest(150?), red chest(400)..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I have 10+ of all of the common units. It's really too bad that maybe two or three of them are actually useful.

Found a link that has the treasure list:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...campaign=buffer

CoffeeQaddaffi fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 22, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

One the gems of war forum people were claiming of you just want diamonds then making only up to green chest is the best route.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shwqa posted:

One the gems of war forum people were claiming of you just want diamonds then making only up to green chest is the best route.

I heard the same thing but red chests.

Either way, Vaults are always bad.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I find the troop window really loving awful for seeing what options you have available, and for some reason I can never remember what all of the gem colors are, so I made a google doc for tracking my troops:

And then I got sick of scrolling through the weapon list on their website to figure out what mastery I should pick for weapon unlocks, so I added a sheet that tells you what the next weapons you will unlock with each mastery are:

And then I added that arena pick order that's been floating around and a kingdom list because I kept having to find that post again to reference them:

Then I realized I had just spent a bunch of time on a spreadsheet for a video-game, so I cried for a while. I figured someone else might get some use out of it, though, so here's a link to it for anyone so inclined (you'll need to make a copy of it to edit it).

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Thank you!

Wallet posted:

Then I realized I had just spent a bunch of time on a spreadsheet for a video-game, so I cried for a while. I figured someone else might get some use out of it, though, so here's a link to it for anyone so inclined (you'll need to make a copy of it to edit it).

And thank you!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay, so my farming strategy seems to be working pretty well for me so far - I'm racking up a net +300-400 gold per successful Invade, along with +32-40 souls and usually 1-2 treasure maps (which I then convert into even more gold).

For any other prospective farmers out there, I strongly recommend leveling up Alchemist, Valkyrie, and Banshee.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've gotten probably a dozen or more Epics from the poo poo ton of keys I've turned in but I still have yet to get a Valkyrie. I really want to get in on that.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Okay, so my farming strategy seems to be working pretty well for me so far - I'm racking up a net +300-400 gold per successful Invade, along with +32-40 souls and usually 1-2 treasure maps (which I then convert into even more gold).

For any other prospective farmers out there, I strongly recommend leveling up Alchemist, Valkyrie, and Banshee.

Maybe I'm god awful but I never seem to get any maps to pop out of that combo. Gold is fine, but my cascades are never big enough.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

The Crooked Warden posted:

Maybe I'm god awful but I never seem to get any maps to pop out of that combo. Gold is fine, but my cascades are never big enough.

Unless you're doing some pretty big conversions it's near impossible to force a 7 cascade. I seem to get about one a day just through luck though. I wish I would get more, treasure maps are fun.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Did my maps and got enough tribute for the staff of madness. Is that or the farsight orb any good or would I be better off saving it up?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Staff of madness seems quite popular if you can snag it and get ready for whatever is new next week

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'd say they are both pretty good. The orb is a decent little brown to blue converter along with the random skill boost.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!
Just started playing. Is there any goon guild with a space for a newbie. Invite code: Nweilin

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Very first game I do with valkyrie, alchemist and banshee combo I got 105 gold and like 45 souls. This was with them all at 10

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Very first game I do with valkyrie, alchemist and banshee combo I got 105 gold and like 45 souls. This was with them all at 10

what do you do with the blue mana?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

gromdul posted:

what do you do with the blue mana?

Weapon/turn it into yellow asap

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Moogle posted:

Gems of War arena infoburp:

I've found the best luck with going for straight/cheap hitters (targetting is a bonus) and taking out threat cards straight away - this usually means the glass cannon in position 3 (or the rock worm, dear lord the rock worm).

Once you've made your picks, it's best to exit out of the arena with the cross button and pick a new home kingdom to make the most of your mana (I.E. if your main hitter is a certain colour, or something is 8 mana to activate, pick a colour or two to get bonus mana on, for example if I've scooped up an rockworm and equip a black dagger I'll choose broken spire so both can activate on two matches instead of three). You can exit out of arena ONCE PICKING IS COMPLETE (never do it mid way or it'll pick for you) without penalty; just pick Arena and you'll be returned to where you were.

Changing kingdoms costs 50g, but it's worth it to give you a better shot at the 1500g.

Obviously try and cover your colours well (if you don't have a generator) by making use of your weapon swap. I like to use either the black dagger with a blue bonus, or the spellbook without a bonus so I can fill up other creatures on demand. Don't discount a boosted crude club either - every match being a +5 punch in the face for their leader is nice and handy if you'd like to hand them turns matching colours they don't have and chip away at their leader.

Usually it's best to chuck your hero in first place as he's usually the best at eating damage and not being that important, unless you have a legendary weapon or other ideas, in which case you don't need to read this anyway.

Here are some quick lists (shamelessly stolen from some chap on their forums here) to help with arena and kingdom selection:

Top Common Picks
• Goblin - nb: no need to boost green if this guy is your first pick.
• Reaver
• Rock Worm - nb: you shoud boost brown if you're using this one, can pick another brown/other colour if you're feeling frisky
• Satyr
• Pride Hunter

Top Rare Picks
• Boar Rider
• Frost Giant
• Owlbear
• Vampire Lord
• Warlock
• Wolf Knight

Top Ultra Picks
• Herd Master
• Grave Knight
• Sacred Guardian
• Blade Dancer

Mid Common Picks
• Centaur Scout
• Musketeer
• Scale Guard *Becomes top tier when paired with poison spreading troops, ability will do 12 damage for 7 cost*
• Skeleton
• Golem
• Warhound
• Lance Knight

Mid Rare Picks
• Alchemist
• Banshee
• Bombardier
• Dark Maiden * Top tier when paired with Scale Guard*
• Dwarf Lord
• Deep Borer
• Valkyrie
• Archon Statue *Top tier after taking 1 point of health damage, deals 13 damage*
• Paladin *Becomes low tier after losing some armor, use at your own risk*
• Templar
• Goblin Shaman * Top tier if common draft was Goblin, Satyr, Reaver or you want to use a green hero weapon*
• Night Terror
• Wight
• Griffon Knight
• Sabertooth Lion * Top tier after first ability kill*

Mid Ultra Picks
• Blast Cannon
• Flame Cannon
• Stone Giant
• Ancient Horror
• Treant
• Spider Queen
• War Sphinx
• Knight Corronet

Worst Common Picks
• Fortress Gate
• Ogre
• Ghoul
• Zombie
• Dwarven Miner
• Priestess
• Glade Warden
• Peasent
• Serpent *Can be mid tier when paired with a rare/ultra red user or hero weapon*

Worst Rare Picks
• Steam Turret
• Rhynax
• Ettin
• Pegasus
• Star gazer
• Acolyte
• Mist Stalker
• Poison Master *Mid tier when paired with Scale Guard*
• Nymph
• Siren
• Rex Warrior
• Dryad
• Hippogryph *Mid tier with Flesh Golem or Chimera, still a risky pick*
• Revenant

Worst Ultra Picks
• Black Beast
• Berserker
• Lamia
• Flesh Golem *Mid tier with Hippogryph*
• Chimera * Mid tier with Hippogryph or Scale Guard*

Kingdom Bonus List

Adana: Yellow/Red
Broken Tower: Blue/Brown
Dominion Fields: Purple/Yellow
Forest of Thorns: Green
Ghulvania : Red/Purple
Karakoth: Purple
Khaziel: Brown
Khetar: Purple/Blue
Mist of Scales: Blue/Red
Pan’s Vale: Yellow/Green
Pridelands: Red
Swords Edge: Blue/Yellow
Whitehelm: Yellow
Zaejin: Green/Brown
Zul’Kari: Purple/Green

nb I think the list is missing Dire Wolf and Druid - the former is a pain in the arse to fit into a team and therefore is a situational 'mid' for me, and the latter is a pain in the arse to fight AGAINST but does good damage and so is top/mid.

Put this in the OP

It's also missing Ranger. I'd put him mid or top tier rare. Probably top tier. He's at least as good as Wolf Knight, and not as squishy.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 23, 2015

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

gromdul posted:

Put this in the OP

It's also missing Ranger. I'd put him mid or top tier rare. Probably top tier. He's at least as good as Wolf Knight, and not as squishy.

I don't know. I'm at 20 or so arenas completed with a total of 2 battles lost across them all and I think this list and advice is kind of off. Attack behind/front/random seems to be overvalued as is skull control.

Banshee is expensive but she does hilarious things like oneshot big dudes while giving you an extra turn and a free staff of madness charge. I will pick her pretty much every time over the other rares except maybe Boar Rider.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I just pulled a Kerberos, who destroys another troop and adds their attack, armor, and life to your own. He seems really good even though I haven't played with him yet.

Doctor Goon
Nov 15, 2013

mrg220t posted:

Just started playing. Is there any goon guild with a space for a newbie. Invite code: Nweilin

Same here, I'm a lowly level 12 looking for a guild :shobon: My invite code is Dr Goon.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Pulled my first two legendaries today. Jarl Firemantle seems pretty rad for a conversion team but I'm not sure how I feel about Gorgotha; random effects tend to backfire on me. Then again, nuking the board can produce pretty silly results sometimes.

Russian Remoulade fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 23, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Zotix posted:

So I just pulled a Kerberos, who destroys another troop and adds their attack, armor, and life to your own. He seems really good even though I haven't played with him yet.

The chance to instantly kill an enemy is 25%, which is pretty good. You just got to get a few minons to powerful him up and you can be eating the enemy team in no time.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Are the Mobile and the Steam versions different? Or can you load up your mobile version on steam?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just got my first Legendary - Keeper of Souls. Looks pretty good.

On a related note, are there any mons out there that convert orbs to Brown or Purple?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Zotix posted:

Are the Mobile and the Steam versions different? Or can you load up your mobile version on steam?

Curious about this too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zotix posted:

You can use the same account for both.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Zotix posted:

I can load up between ios and android so you probably can switch to steam. But you have to plat the tutorial before you can log into your account.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

mrg220t posted:

Invite sent.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
One spot open in Gem Blossums.

Moatmonster
Jul 19, 2004
Pick me. In game as MOAT

Fixed name. Just hit lvl 90, and have a pretty good grasp of the beginning game. When I'm a bit more sober I'll try to jot down some tips.

Moatmonster fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 24, 2015

Sarihn
Apr 13, 2006
Looks like the new kingdom is in. Just had one of the new orc cards pop up in the arena.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sarihn posted:

Looks like the new kingdom is in. Just had one of the new orc cards pop up in the arena.

Yep. Grosh-Nak is the name. It's in the lower right corner and gives a red/brown bonus.

Edit: There's a rare orc called Summoner that summons a ghoul and gives all allies 5 life. I've been wanting to see if Black Beast can be usable, and this guy seems like a perfect match.

There's also another new orc called Drake Rider that converts yellow to red for a damage boost. Should be interesting.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 24, 2015

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
How should I be spending my gold in the guild? I'm new to this and I'm trying to figure out what exactly is going on in the guild.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

How should I be spending my gold in the guild? I'm new to this and I'm trying to figure out what exactly is going on in the guild.

Keep enough gold around to enter matches. Other than that, just pick a task to donate to. It shouldn't really matter where your gold goes since all tasks are worthwhile.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
If anyone still needs a guild, there are now two open spots in Gem Blossoms.

Doctor Goon
Nov 15, 2013
Neato! I'm interested, my invite code is Dr Goon :)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Doctor Goon posted:

Neato! I'm interested, my invite code is Dr Goon :)

Sent! One more available.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

DaveWoo posted:

Just got my first Legendary - Keeper of Souls. Looks pretty good.

On a related note, are there any mons out there that convert orbs to Brown or Purple?

Keeper is powerful, but his skill is expensive as hell to charge, though potentially really nasty when it's used.

Acolyte, Deep Borer and Rock Worm create Brown gems randomly. Wight and Giant Spider create Purples randomly. Terraxis (an Epic) converts Blue to Brown, Shadow Dragon and Sylvasi do Yellow to Purple, Finley can convert skulls to Brown or Purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Sign up for the new GoW Official Forums for a free magic key: http://community.gemsofwar.com/t/get-a-free-magic-key-this-week/74

quote:

To celebrate the new forum, we'll be giving everyone who signs up a free Magic Key for the first week!

Simply sign up and reply below with your Invite Code.
(It's in the Hero menu!)

After a certain amount of time determined by magic and planetary rotation, a key will appear in your account!

New unit list: