Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
The best reason to complete Challenges and Quests is to level up your kingdom. Which is god-awful boring, and only offers a return for PVP. If you can level enough troops to 15, then gently caress the Challenges and Quests.

Kingdom level 3 is fairly good. +5 to all masteries. Levels 1 and 2 offer more stats for your troops. So if you stack banner bonuses with troops from that kingdom and kingdom level bonuses, you can get an OK advantage. Unfortunately most Kingdoms don't offer a set of troops that would make a good team. They often share colors, for one thing. And many troops are just bad.

Arena for Souls and Gold. PVP for even more gold! Quests for when you are bored of those two and want to read Blizzard level pop culture references. Challenges for when you hate yourself and want to take it out on yourself with a match three game.

Arena is the best mode, offering the challenge of drafting, the limitations of using sub-optimal troops, and giving you a reason to use the Hero's huge weapon selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

delfin posted:

Which costume do you want? Depends on your priorities:
* Gold bonuses are my own favorite. Increased gold takes most of the risk out of PvP, tilting it even more in your favor. It lets you rain gold on your guild LIKE A BOSS and gain Gems, Souls and Keys from task completion. It lets you open new areas more quickly.
* Souls bonuses are really only good if you're playing a lot of Arena. Then again, you're encouraged to play a lot of Arena. 50% Souls boost on "normal" quest fights gives you 6 souls at the end instead of 4; on Arena, the end reward for 8 wins goes from 400 to 600. That's significant.
* XP bonuses are useful only if you're using your Hero in every team -- which, for a long time, you will be. Look through the Official Weapons List and see those "Unlocked at ___ Mastery x" messages; increased XP means you're reaching those levels faster as well as building up your Hero's stats faster.

If you got some survey bux, get the starter pack for $5. It comes with Mage Armor and some pittance of gold and souls.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Wallet posted:

Edit: Also, does anyone know why there's a flashing exclamation mark on my invade button all the time? It's sort of annoying.

You have been invaded. Press the defend button.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Dragongem posted:

Is this one of those "could play for hours" game or something I can pop in, do like 10 minutes or so, and pop out?

You can play for a little bit. Check it out.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Probably not. Goblin King isn't that strong in the first place, and will be even worse if you have to fatties taking up space, making his already bad ability useless.

Goblin, Goblin Shaman, Goblin Rocket, and GK would make a nice team though. Putting the Goblin in front will ensure he gets knocked out, thus making room for GK's ability.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Tony Homo posted:

This is going to be a dumb question but when you log in the morning what things do you do first? I'm used to games where there are dailies which helps me keep in order what I should be doing but this game ISO new to me. My understanding is to just pvp most of the time. True?

If I am not rank 1, then invade. If I am rank 1, then Arena. Rarely I will do quests, challenges, or treasure maps. Dump gold into guild tasks, dump souls into a troop.

It's all the same basic game play, so I mostly try to maximize the rewards.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Disco Bandit posted:

(Probably obviously) I am.

IPJONES_1

Invited. RIP Evilelmo

E: For the leaders of the other guilds, install the game on your PC with Steam. Guild management is so much easier with a mouse.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Disco Bandit posted:

Holy hell playing with a guild is better than playing alone. Thank you and the rest of the Gem boys.

FTFY

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Goblin Brigade:

This is one of the few teams where multiple creatures from the same kingdom work well together. If you've unlocked the Zaejin kingdom, set your banner to it.

Ideally:
* Deepstone Weapon (Glory Reward) - 9 Blue Mana - Explode a gem and destroy that row.
* Goblin Shaman - 10 Purple/Brown Mana to create 4 + (magic) green gems. Then take an extra turn.
* Goblin - 6 Green Mana to deal 2 + (magic) damage to a target of your choice. Then take an extra turn.
* Goblin Rocket (Glory reward) - 9 Red/Yellow Mana to explode a gem, deal 3 + (magic) damage to an enemy at random, 1 damage to any adjacent enemies. Take an extra turn.

This team is the best. I plowed through three arenas last night to finish leveling them all to 15. So many extra turns! It takes a little getting used to always wanting to cast spells first, even over skulls or match four or fives. What kingdom do you use? Unfortunately brown/purple doesn't exist, which would be ideal. Double blue to power up Deep Stone in two matches, or double brown or purple, which would still be three matches for the Shaman. Green seems superfluous since Goblin is only 6 to power up.

Running through the Zaejin quests now with a powered up Goblin team. Good fun!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Get as high of a rank as you can as soon as you are able after reset. When it resets, buy the special, and if you want you can get a map or two. By the next reset you should have enough, or be close enough, to get the next special.

But yeah, your estimate looks accurate. But some weeks have two rewards, or you can always buy multiple of a troop if you desired.

I stopped buying maps with Glory. I have a pile already and I rarely play treasure hunt. Never bought souls with it, because maps seem more efficient (perhaps not as many souls, but a chance at keys, etc.)

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Zotix posted:

How do you get gold? I'm not recouping my gold costs on doing quests.

PVP is double-or-nothing. Best for gold. Arena isn't bad either.

Quests are a short term gold loss.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Very first game I do with valkyrie, alchemist and banshee combo I got 105 gold and like 45 souls. This was with them all at 10

what do you do with the blue mana?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Moogle posted:

Gems of War arena infoburp:

I've found the best luck with going for straight/cheap hitters (targetting is a bonus) and taking out threat cards straight away - this usually means the glass cannon in position 3 (or the rock worm, dear lord the rock worm).

Once you've made your picks, it's best to exit out of the arena with the cross button and pick a new home kingdom to make the most of your mana (I.E. if your main hitter is a certain colour, or something is 8 mana to activate, pick a colour or two to get bonus mana on, for example if I've scooped up an rockworm and equip a black dagger I'll choose broken spire so both can activate on two matches instead of three). You can exit out of arena ONCE PICKING IS COMPLETE (never do it mid way or it'll pick for you) without penalty; just pick Arena and you'll be returned to where you were.

Changing kingdoms costs 50g, but it's worth it to give you a better shot at the 1500g.

Obviously try and cover your colours well (if you don't have a generator) by making use of your weapon swap. I like to use either the black dagger with a blue bonus, or the spellbook without a bonus so I can fill up other creatures on demand. Don't discount a boosted crude club either - every match being a +5 punch in the face for their leader is nice and handy if you'd like to hand them turns matching colours they don't have and chip away at their leader.

Usually it's best to chuck your hero in first place as he's usually the best at eating damage and not being that important, unless you have a legendary weapon or other ideas, in which case you don't need to read this anyway.

Here are some quick lists (shamelessly stolen from some chap on their forums here) to help with arena and kingdom selection:

Top Common Picks
• Goblin - nb: no need to boost green if this guy is your first pick.
• Reaver
• Rock Worm - nb: you shoud boost brown if you're using this one, can pick another brown/other colour if you're feeling frisky
• Satyr
• Pride Hunter

Top Rare Picks
• Boar Rider
• Frost Giant
• Owlbear
• Vampire Lord
• Warlock
• Wolf Knight

Top Ultra Picks
• Herd Master
• Grave Knight
• Sacred Guardian
• Blade Dancer

Mid Common Picks
• Centaur Scout
• Musketeer
• Scale Guard *Becomes top tier when paired with poison spreading troops, ability will do 12 damage for 7 cost*
• Skeleton
• Golem
• Warhound
• Lance Knight

Mid Rare Picks
• Alchemist
• Banshee
• Bombardier
• Dark Maiden * Top tier when paired with Scale Guard*
• Dwarf Lord
• Deep Borer
• Valkyrie
• Archon Statue *Top tier after taking 1 point of health damage, deals 13 damage*
• Paladin *Becomes low tier after losing some armor, use at your own risk*
• Templar
• Goblin Shaman * Top tier if common draft was Goblin, Satyr, Reaver or you want to use a green hero weapon*
• Night Terror
• Wight
• Griffon Knight
• Sabertooth Lion * Top tier after first ability kill*

Mid Ultra Picks
• Blast Cannon
• Flame Cannon
• Stone Giant
• Ancient Horror
• Treant
• Spider Queen
• War Sphinx
• Knight Corronet

Worst Common Picks
• Fortress Gate
• Ogre
• Ghoul
• Zombie
• Dwarven Miner
• Priestess
• Glade Warden
• Peasent
• Serpent *Can be mid tier when paired with a rare/ultra red user or hero weapon*

Worst Rare Picks
• Steam Turret
• Rhynax
• Ettin
• Pegasus
• Star gazer
• Acolyte
• Mist Stalker
• Poison Master *Mid tier when paired with Scale Guard*
• Nymph
• Siren
• Rex Warrior
• Dryad
• Hippogryph *Mid tier with Flesh Golem or Chimera, still a risky pick*
• Revenant

Worst Ultra Picks
• Black Beast
• Berserker
• Lamia
• Flesh Golem *Mid tier with Hippogryph*
• Chimera * Mid tier with Hippogryph or Scale Guard*

Kingdom Bonus List

Adana: Yellow/Red
Broken Tower: Blue/Brown
Dominion Fields: Purple/Yellow
Forest of Thorns: Green
Ghulvania : Red/Purple
Karakoth: Purple
Khaziel: Brown
Khetar: Purple/Blue
Mist of Scales: Blue/Red
Pan’s Vale: Yellow/Green
Pridelands: Red
Swords Edge: Blue/Yellow
Whitehelm: Yellow
Zaejin: Green/Brown
Zul’Kari: Purple/Green

nb I think the list is missing Dire Wolf and Druid - the former is a pain in the arse to fit into a team and therefore is a situational 'mid' for me, and the latter is a pain in the arse to fight AGAINST but does good damage and so is top/mid.

Put this in the OP

It's also missing Ranger. I'd put him mid or top tier rare. Probably top tier. He's at least as good as Wolf Knight, and not as squishy.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 23, 2015

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I unlocked... Dark Song? The new epic from the new Kingdom. At level 1 she does 7 damage, double against troops that use green. Not bad. I will have to farm up some souls to see how she scales.

The troop you can buy with Valor from the weekly event looks very underwhelming, but I bought him anyway. Double damage to Fey is pretty narrow, even if a lot of players pick Elf for their race.

I tried an Alchemist / Valkyrie team, with Druid and Banshee. I wasn't that impressed. My Goblin team kills faster and the extra turns are more reliable. It would probably work better with the hero with a purple weapon to tank. Druid is pretty great. I noticed a bug though. I used Valkyrie's spell, got a huge combo (at least 9 gems in an L shape) I should have received a mana surge, and filled up my mana on Druid in one shot. Instead I got 3 blue mana!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

My magic key got me Tau, which I had just pulled from an iron key that I got off a guild task. One of these days I will get a Hobgoblin!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Good news! You can buy gems! For $50 bucks you can get enough gems for a 500 gem armor, and have some gems to spare!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Wallet posted:

Just a heads up that the stats that show up in the guild roster have a bug: I didn't have time to play for most of the week, but I still opened the game to get the free daily gold, and then dumped it into guild tasks. I happened to check the guild roster on Thursday, and noticed that it said I hadn't donated anything this week, and that I hadn't been online for four days. Completing an invasion seems to make it catch back up, though completing treasure maps doesn't for some reason.

It's not login, even though its called that. It's last match played.

I will hop on Steam later to do guild management for Gem boys. gently caress doing on my phone.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Gem boys now has 5 spots, and I promoted everyone who seemed to be active. Having no other metric to go by, I use donations and login. RIP ChickencowSA; I didn't kick you, and hope you come back, but I get it.

So we now have full officers; feel free to spend tokens as you wish. If you like to play, come join us.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

grayb posted:

Invite, please. Acme's winding down so bigger guild for me then. code's jazrael

sent

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

PeePot posted:

I'm really going to miss the pubbie guild with two other players...

KROMDAR is looking for an invite.

Says you're already in a guild.

TeffaBob posted:

With gooniversity gone, can I get a new invite?

TEFFABOB

"Does not exist"

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Run Arena when you can. Three or four arena runs of 8 wins will get enough souls to level up a troop to 15.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Shadowhunter can be quite dangerous. Just steal her color matches, but if its the first spell to go off on their team it can hit for over 20 easily.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Her name is Atalanta, and the devs are idiots who can't spell mythological Greek names.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

psivamp posted:

Would appreciate an invite to a goon guild. Invite code is PSIVAMP

sent

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Gem boys now has 8 open spots. Guess people are getting bored. As am I, or at least Diablo 3 is more fun.

I promoted and demoted a few people until the UI frustrated me. Will do more on Steam later.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Yeah sorry if you got kicked and are still active. Its nothing personal, I'm limited by the tools they provide me. If last login in is a fortnight and gold donated is at 0 for the week, then I kick. From now on I will check the activity log to confirm the inactive members are truly inactive.

But if you are only logging in to donate gold, perhaps your spot could be filled by someone who is really playing the game?

That being said, my activity has slumped. The past two weeks I didn't hit rank one, and lost my long streak of daily login bonus gold. Diablo 3 is more fun!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Anything past level 50 or whatever doesn't matter that much. Level some troops to 15, literally any troops, and go punch people. The AI is terrible.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
OG Gem boys has 8 spots available. We could use some active players. Our completion rate certainly has slowed.

We are platinum ranked, of course. Come join us.

Bear Totem was expensive. Hopefully I can earn enough for the new troop as well. Or not. Not sure why I care, really. I almost never use them.

If anyone wants to run Gem boys, speak up. My mobile gaming time has been destroyed by family, Daiblo 3, and crippling constipation.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I have 78 maps. Don't buy maps.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
We should probably combine guilds again. Gem boys has 8 open spots, and about 9 more inactives. So ~17 spots available?

Thoughts?

E: Kicked some loving slackers. 17 spots open. Lets merge!

IDC which guild we merge in to. I assume Gem boys is higher ranked since its the oldest. If that matters at all. I just want more active players since my gem income has slowed. :smith:

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 19, 2015

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
30 - 17 = 13

What about the other guilds? Did they all fold? I'll just open it up to pubbies then.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

grrarg posted:

Gem Blossums is still pretty active and almost full. Unless there's another half-full goon guild floating around, sounds like the best bet is opening up Gem Boiz to pubbies.

You are confused. There is "Gem boys" AND "Gem Boiz"

I am the GM of "Gem boys" and have 17 open spots. I would like to absorb "Gem Boiz". Or any other goons who don't want to live under the oppressive regime of Gem Blossoms.

"Gem boys" is the oldest goon guild, thus most likely the highest ranked (not that it matters).

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Well for now I will promote all the goons as high as I can and open it up then.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
E: invite me please. STRONGBAD_1

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 21, 2015

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I like the Trent, Alchemist, Valkyrie, Banshee team. So I spend my souls to level up the kingdom I use. Alchemist is the key to getting the combo going, so I use the new Orc kingdom (R/B). Drake Rider can be used instead of Banshee too, but its not quite as circular.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Grundulum posted:

Wow. Some big changes here. I'm not keen on gold being the way to level up kingdoms; it essentially invalidates souls as an endgame currency, as well as making players choose between their kingdoms and their guild. This new mastery system combined with the new difficulty levels could be bonkers. Having a ~50% mana surge chance on every match will lead to earlier procs of those legendary critters that self-sustain. If it was a race against the clock before it's even more of one now, and then they might have extra armor/health to boot.

RIP guild tasks.

I just bought the 500 gem soul armor, too. Welp...

If leveling kingdoms is expensive, hopefully people will hoard more gold so invades are worth more.

I really like the new team bonus. Goblin team even more OP now.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
The difficulty will remain unchanged unless you want it to.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Unlock the arena by doing quests in the first area (broken spire).

It costs 1000g, but your troops don't matter because you draft 3 level 10s.

You can keep skipping in pvp until you find someone close to your level, but if gold is tight then save it for the arena.

You can get some quality troops by completing all the quests in a kingdom.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Read the links?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
LOL took the highest difficulty for a spin. A Skeleton has 18 attack and over 30 armor.