Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I installed Windows 10 a bit back and I recently noticed that anything that uses more than a few threads instantly turns my computer off. Not a BSOD or anything, just.. off.

Two of the applications doing it were Apophysis 7x if set to 8 threads and Dota 2, which apparently uses processors much more effectively than I'd thought.

My CPU is an i7-3630qm, and I'm running a Fangbook X7-100 laptop with a 680m GPU upgrade.

Has anyone else run into this kind of issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Dust out all your vents and fans with a canned air duster. The goal is to blow air through the heatsink to ensure any dust bunnies are cleared out so air can flow unimpeded. Beyond that, check temperatures with HWInfo64 to see if anything is getting too hot.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Furmark and Prime95 are both completely fine on Win8.1 and will crank my laptop's heat up enough to make a room uncomfortably warm without crashing.

Starting prime95 results in the system turning off the second testing begins on 10.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Definitely clean your system and actually check temperatures before just assuming that isn't the problem.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Huhn. Prime95 is actually running incredibly hot now, almost instantly. I have access to an air compressor designed for this exact case, so I'll hit it with that and repaste if that doesn't work.

The peculiar thing is that Windows 8 throttles properly, but Windows 10 just shuts off the second it detects high heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Is Windows 10 set to a different power profile perhaps? I'd also suggest updating the motherboard BIOS (if available, first verify the system can pass Memtest86+ without errors) and installing the latest Intel chipset and nVidia Geforce drivers in Windows 10.

• Locked thread