Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

MechWarrior came out for the SNES in 1993. It is first person mech shooting game featuring lots of sweet Mode 7 graphic effects, lots of pixels, and exploding objects. In the game, we plays as a fellow named Herras, who is seeking vengeance on the evil Dark Wing Lance renegade mech group who smoked our family. Naturally, we scrape together a couple thousand bucks to buy an enormous robo death machine and begin the slow plod toward revenge!

This LP
Be gentle, it's my first time. :ohdear:
I can't say that this is a blind LP (even though I said that in the first vid,) but I haven't played MechWarrior in 20+ years. I am definitely not an expert, and you can expect me to get blown up occasionally, make some poor decisions, and flat-out miss some things. Please bear with me.
On the positive side, there will be (hopefully) a fair amount of surprises, revelations, and feelings of both nostalgia and rediscovery. I hope to update a couple of times a week until complete.

The videos!
01. Intro (to Mode 7)
02. Rockets Galore
03. C-Billz
04. Ragnarok
05. Davion's Dirty Work
06. Jump Around!
07. Can't Get Enuff of that Duff
08. Finale

betterinsodapop fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Mech are statted out in tonnage and kph. The mechs for this game were apparently custom, but 20-ish ton mechs are light and mechs go up to 100 tons. That is a lot of weight, but the current US battle tank (M1A2) is 68 short / 62 long tons.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

ulmont posted:

Mech are statted out in tonnage and kph. The mechs for this game were apparently custom, but 20-ish ton mechs are light and mechs go up to 100 tons. That is a lot of weight, but the current US battle tank (M1A2) is 68 short / 62 long tons.
Thanks for the head's up. I actually thought that the weight of a walking tank (even if it was the "light" model) seemed on the low side, even if it was 20 short/long/metric tons/tonnes.
I gotta see if I can find a manual somewhere. I kind of remember a listing of the mech models in it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is quite some Mode 7.

Please read the manual or I will yell at you. You can move the target reticle around and actually hit your target. Good luck.
You don't need to read any dialog. Just ask people to pause the video.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

That is quite some Mode 7.

Please read the manual or I will yell at you. You can move the target reticle around and actually hit your target. Good luck.
You don't need to read any dialog. Just ask people to pause the video.
OK, since uploading the 1st video, I HAVE located a pdf of the manual. I promise to read it. I did finally realize that you can move the reticle around, so I'm hoping to get more accurate. As far as the dialog, is it wrong that I kind of enjoy it a little?

Thanks for your interest, and bearing with me.
Also, is your username a reference to Earthbound?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
People can read the dialog, that is why I mention it.

The name is an Earthbound enemy.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I remember renting this game from Blockbuster once. It didn't have any instructions and I never made it out of the menu system; I ended up just taking it back so I could rent Metal Warriors for the third or fourth time, which is a much better mech game.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

The Casualty posted:

I remember renting this game from Blockbuster once. It didn't have any instructions and I never made it out of the menu system; I ended up just taking it back so I could rent Metal Warriors for the third or fourth time, which is a much better mech game.
I've never played that one. Watched a gameplay video, and it kind of reminds me of Blaster Master for the NES. Looks like a fun sidescroller, will have to check it out.

Also, I posted episodes 2 and 3. I'm going to do episode 4 tonight, and will incorporate Scalding Coffee's advice, re: dialogue.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
When you rapidly cycle missiles, half of them do not cause damage. You are wasting ammo by holding down the button. Lasers might be a different story. Lasers don't ever run out of ammo.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Posted 4th vid, in which I finally purchase the assault mech, the Raganarok.
I will stop using the auto-cycling w/my missiles. I did seem to be wasting a lot of them!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You lost your leg because you stepped on a mine, those black squares that dot the map. Hard to see since the video has issues.

The mission types have tiers of difficulty. Garrison ranks below Riot and are general missions. Security Duty ranks below Offensive Campaign and are base/s defense. Siege Campaign is simple fun and always recommended.

I think you settled on Galeton. Hard to tell since it doesn't look like a water planet.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 20, 2015

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

You lost your leg because you stepped on a mine, those black squares that dot the map. Hard to see since the video has issues.

The mission types have tiers of difficulty. Garrison ranks below Riot and are general missions. Security Duty ranks below Offensive Campaign and are base/s defense. Siege Campaign is simple fun and always recommended.

I think you settled on Galeton. Hard to tell since it doesn't look like a water planet.
Yeah, realizing that some of the textures don't seem to be showing up, but I'm working with it. I did notice that the mines seem to appear on the top down map. Anyway, I've managed to avoid them since you pointed them out, so thanks!

Posted Part 5 this morning. The game has begun throwing more and more assault class mechs at me. Those dudes are NO JOKE; they can take an enormous amount of punishment. I was able to advance the plot a little too.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Particle Cannon has long range and does much more damage than missiles. You might go for a Heavy Laser that is significantly lighter, when you go against 4 Assaults at a time.

Lot of good letting things cool down did since all the mercs immediately knew you took down Slasher.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Warmechwarrior. :getin:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Parts 6 and 7 posted.
I tacked on some jumpjets in the last episode, as I felt like my hulking WarMech was lacking in any sort of mobility. It seems to have paid dividends.
Next episode should be the last.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Final part posted. Thanks to the few who watched my first LP. I hope to do better next time (and maybe pick a more interesting game.) :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shame this game plays out the same each time. It would have been best to stick with all ground or airspeed instead of both, to cut down on weight. Just glad this was not a powergamer playthrough where you load up on PCAN and have every battle turn into seizure mode.

The unnamed mechs for this game are:
Nexus, Nexus A, Nexus B, Nexus C
Fujin
Raijin (slightly larger Fujin)
Grand Crusader (the fatty)
Ragnarok (battleship with legs)

• Locked thread