Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

MrBims posted:

Lol, Ben Carson wants to use drones to kill illegal immigrants on American soil.

Let's look at this in more detail.

@ Aug 19:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ben-carson-border-drone-strikes

quote:

"You look at some of these caves and things out there one drone strike, boom, and they'd gone."

@ Aug 23rd he got mad at CNN for assuming he meant drone strikes when he clearly meant surveillance only.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._total_lie.html

quote:

BEN CARSON: It was quite clear what I was talking about. That drones are excellent for surveillance...

Those fences are so easy to scale, it is almost like not having a fence there. So drones can help with the surveillance.

In no way did I suggest that drones be used to kill people, and I said that to the media at the time.

I said you guys, some of you, are going to go out and say, "Carson wants to use drones to kill people on the borders."

How ridiculous. At some point I hope we have some responsible media which actually focuses on the problem: We have a huge security risk there. And talking to some of the sheriffs down there on the border... listen to the frustration. You should have them on your show and let them talk. About what is actually going on down there.

@ Aug 23rd he says he would use drone strikes on caves that illegals use
http://crooksandliars.com/2015/08/ben-carson-use-drone-strikes-border-caves

quote:

"There are caves that they utilize. Those caves can be eliminated. There are a number of possibilities -- that could be one of them," Carson told CNN's Jim Acosta Sunday on "State of the Union."

He added emphatically: "I'm not talking about killing people. No people with drones."

The loving idiot throws a fit because he said he'd use drone strikes, and says the media got it wrong, that he only meant it for surveillance, and then clarifies once again that he meant strikes on caves and things.

Doctor Butts has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Either way, Carson is calling for drone strikes. The question is: is he calling for drone strikes on another sovereign nation or for drone strikes on American soil?

I mean, that's another reason why his 'drone strike on caves' line is retarded.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Reaching back a little bit further, let's follow the story about Ben Carson and fetal tissue research and how he makes a dumb defense about something, then turns around and flat out lies about something while accusing the media of being dishonest.

@ Aug 12th, it was reported that Ben Carson did research on fetal tissue:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ben-carson-aborted-fetal-tissue_55cc920ce4b0898c48869108

quote:

Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson says that most medical research can be conducted without using fetal tissue, which has been in the news recently after a series of secretly taped but edited videos showed Planned Parenthood officials discussing how to legally provide aborted tissue to researchers. He has called the benefits of such research "over promised," and has said the videos have made him wonder "how far we have drifted in terms of our humanity."

@ Aug 13th, he admitted as such and made a dumb argument defending it:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/08/13/ben-carsons-tortured-defense-of-his-research-with-fetal-tissue/

quote:

"You have to look at the intent," Carson told The Washington Post's Dave Weigel before he began a campaign swing through New Hampshire. "To willfully ignore evidence that you have for some ideological reason is wrong. If you’re killing babies and taking the tissue, that’s a very different thing than taking a dead specimen and keeping a record of it."

Ok, so we all assume the case is closed at this point, since he's admitted it.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

later on that day, he says it never happened!
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/ben-carson-distances-himself-fetal-tissue-research

quote:

“Today I was accused by the press as having done research on fetal tissue. It simply is not true,” Carson said in a Facebook post late Thursday. “… I, nor any of the doctors involved with this study, had anything to do with abortion or what Planned Parenthood has been doing. Research hospitals across the country have microscope slides of all kinds of tissue to compare and contrast. The fetal tissue that was viewed in this study by others was not collected for this study.”

So, either he admitted to it before he knew the facts, or he's just straight up lying.

Which could be the case?

https://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/ben-carson-did-research-on-17-week-fetal-tissue/

quote:

Dr. Carson neglected to mention his own paper Colloid Cysts of the Third Ventricle: Immunohistochemical evidence for nonneuropithelial differentiation published in Hum Pathol 23:811-816 in 1992. The materials and methods describe using “human choroid plexus ependyma and nasal mucosa from two fetuses aborted in the ninth and 17th week of gestation.”

Huh. Welp, I guess we know the answer.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ben Carson is not only a creationist but he believes Evolution is a trick from the devil.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ben-carson-big-bang-a-fairy-tale-theory-of-evolution-encoura#.umJwV8xYQ

quote:

I personally believe that this theory that Darwin came up with was something that was encouraged by the adversary, and it has become what is scientifically, politically correct

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Carson eyes guns in kindergarten, boasts of his imagined bravery

quote:

For example, Carson said yesterday that if he had a child in kindergarten, he’d feel better knowing there were loaded firearms in the classroom. “If the teacher was trained in the use of that weapon and had access to it, I would be much more comfortable if they had one than if they didn’t,” the GOP candidate said.

quote:

Last night on Facebook, Carson added, “As a Doctor, I spent many a night pulling bullets out of bodies. There is no doubt that this senseless violence is breathtaking – but I never saw a body with bullet holes that was more devastating than taking the right to arm ourselves away. Serious people seek serious solutions.”

quote:

Asked what he would have done had a gunman walked up to him and asked him to state his religion, Carson said he would have been more aggressive.

“Not only would I probably not cooperate with him, I would not just stand there and let him shoot me, I would say, ‘Hey guys, everybody attack him. He may shoot me, but he can’t get us all,’” he told the hosts.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/carson-eyes-guns-kindergarten-boasts-his-imagined-bravery

Ben Carson would handle this crisis by skipping it and going to the next one

quote:

On Tuesday, in seeking to demonstrate how he would handle a similar crisis, Mr. Carson also indicated that he would not try to be a comforter in chief. He suggested that Mr. Obama was wrong for planning a trip to Oregon later this week to console the families of victims, since some members of the community did not welcome him. “When do we get to the point where we have people who actually want to solve our problems, rather than just politicize everything?” Mr. Carson said.

He added that he would probably skip such a trip if he were president. “I mean, I would probably have so many things on my agenda that I would go to the next one,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/10/06/ben-carson-says-he-would-have-been-more-aggressive-against-oregon-gunman/

Obama is wrong for not visiting the families of the shooting, until he does.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Also, we should not forget the fact that someone DID try rushing the Oregon shooter, was shot 5-7 times, and is lucky to still be alive.

It also did not stop the shooter.

Ben Carson is dumb.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ralp posted:

Do you guys like NPR? Kai Ryssdal interviewed Carson and he sounds like Sarah loving Palin
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/elections/big-book/dr-ben-carson-economy-taxes-and-debt

OH my god.

The article along with the interview goes into one or two of the things but I'm going to expand upon one or two silly things:

1. He says an across the board cut of 3%-4% of spending on everything in government.

2. When pressed, he makes the point that one of the problems is (after the interviewer brings up SNAP) sacred cows. So, I take this to mean (although he'd backtrack on it if called out on it, because that's Carson) that he'd cut the military by the same amount.

3. He thinks that Lean Six Sigma is a great thing, but doesn't seem to be aware that many departments in government are already using it.

So on that note,

quote:

You're gonna see us get back into space. And in the future, he who controls space controls Earth.

Not with 4% budget cuts across the board, you won't. Re-establishing a presence in the Baltic area and a missile defense program doesn't come cheap either.

But, it's Carson. The more he's forced to be in the spotlight as a contender, the less qualified he will sound.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Who knows what Backtrackin' Ben will say next!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ben Carson Tells CNN the Holocaust Would Have Gone Differently If the Jews Had Guns

To get things going in an interview, Blitzer reads a passage from Carson's book:

Dumb poo poo Carson Wrote and Published posted:

German citizens were disarmed by their government in the late 1930s, and by the mid-1940s Hitler's regime had mercilessly slaughtered six million Jews and numerous others whom they considered inferior ... Through a combination of removing guns and disseminating deceitful propaganda, the Nazis were able to carry out their evil intentions with relatively little resistance.

Ben Carson Sticks to His Retarded Guns posted:

Blitzer: So, just clarify, if there had been no gun control laws in Europe at that time would six million Jews have been slaughtered?

Carson: I think the likelihood of Hitler being able to accomplish his goals would have been greatly diminished if the people had been armed.

Blitzer: Because they had a powerful military machine, as you know, the Nazis.

Carson: I understand that. I’m telling you that there is a reason that these dictatorial people take the guns first.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/10/08/ben_carson_tells_cnn_holocaust_could_have_been_different_if_jews_had_guns.html

The more this man is forced to talk because he is near the head of the pack, the more he'll stumble.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Alerted to this by USPOL, but posting here because Carson.

Ben Carson recasts role of Saudi Arabia in hunt for Osama bin Laden

Carson about to say more retarded poo poo posted:

At the second Republican presidential debate, in California last month, Carson said that if George W Bush had announced a plan to end reliance on Persian Gulf oil “within five to 10 years ... moderate Arab states” spurred by the threat of the loss of a key market “would have turned over Osama bin Laden and anybody else you wanted on a silver platter in two weeks”.

Pressed by ABC News host George Stephanopoulos on Sunday, Carson stood by the assertion.

I think [moderate Arab states] would have been concerned, and if we were serious about it ... I think that would have trumped any loyalty they had to Osama bin Laden,” Carson said.

Stephanopoulos said: “But they didn’t have any loyalty to him. The Saudis kicked him out. He was their enemy.”

Carson responded: “Well, you may not think they had any loyalty to him. But I believe otherwise.”

Asked how the Saudis or allies would have located Bin Laden in his remote refuge in the tribal areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan, Carson said: “I think they would have known where he was.

“There were indications, for example, during the Clinton administration that we knew where he was … If we could tell where he was, I’m certain they knew where he was.

My point is, we have other ways that we could have done things. I personally don’t believe that invading Iraq was an existential threat to us. I don’t believe that Saddam Hussein was an existential threat to us. It’s a very different situation right now.

Stephanopoulos said: “But sir, I wasn’t asking about invading Iraq. I was asking about invading Afghanistan, which had been harboring Osama bin Laden.”

Well, I was primarily talking about Iraq,” said Carson. “I wasn’t particularly interested in going into Afghanistan, but I do think that we should have taken aggressive action.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So Dr. Ben Carson wants to eliminate Medicare and replace with with a health savings account.

quote:

Carson, who now leads the GOP field in Iowa according to the latest Quinnipiac Poll, would eliminate the program that provides health care to 49 million senior citizens, as well as Medicaid, and replace it with a system of cradle-to-grave savings accounts which would be funded with $2,000 a year in government contributions. While rivals have been pummeled for proposing less radical changes, Carson hasn't faced the same scrutiny -- and his continued traction in polls has left GOP strategists and conservative health care wonks scratching their heads.

quote:

Under the plan Carson outlined most specifically last year, the government would contribute $2,000 to each individual’s tax-free account every year, with a third of the funding earmarked for insurance to cover severe medical incidents. Individuals and employers could contribute additional funds to the accounts, and the unspent funds could be shared among family members, which Carson says "makes every family their own insurance company."

Boy this sure does not sound like a lot of coverage for people who were expecting this sort of care... but wait a minute...

quote:

"makes every family their own insurance company."

Kind of a funny point, because...

quote:

“People in Washington say, ‘Well, you can’t give poor people a health savings account because they’re too stupid. They won’t know what to do with it.’” Carson said at a West Des Moines, Iowa, town hall in August. “But the fact of the matter is, that is not the case.”

So one of the reasons medicare works is because it can dictate costs (somewhat) to healthcare providers. Health Savings Account? Not the same kind of pull. You probably have to buy insurance after the fact. Your $2000 has a big chunk of money taken out already and on top of that, the 'savings' the government gets because they don't need to administer as much is eaten by another entity- and you get no benefit from that relationship.

Carson has some other things to say about his plan

quote:

When people are able to see how much more freedom they will have, and how much more flexibility they will have, and how much more choice they would have, I think it's going to be a no-brainer.

The reason that I've come up with the health savings account system, utilizing the same monies that we use to pay for health now, (it) provides a very different paradigm. Eighty percent-plus of your encounters are going to be between you and the health-care provider, with no third-party in there sucking out the resources. When that happens, there's a fiduciary responsibility and relationship that develops between the patient and a care provider. You're going to have much more transparency, much more responsibility. That's going to bring the whole system into a more free economic model. That's how you control price and that's how you control quality.

To be clear, Carson's plan is to get a benefit of $2,000 per year.

It's pretty hypocritical on his part because he thinks on one hand, that $2,000 in an HSA is enough. On the other hand, he is also making it clear that he's aware that its going to put a 'fiduciary responsibility' (aka cut corners because you can't afford poo poo) on the citizen. Even more obvious he knows that money is poo poo when he's saying your and your family will have to give up your personal disbursement so that pops can get a tumor removed.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ben Carson wants to change the goal of the Department of Education from its current job to just being a place that investigates radical liberal thought on college campuses.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/carson-sketches-out-plan-monitoring-campus-speech?cid=sm_fb_maddow

gently caress it here's the whole article, I added the URLs posted:

Choosing the single nuttiest part of Ben Carson’s Republican presidential platform is incredibly challenging – there are just so many options to choose from. Just over the weekend, the competitive GOP candidate talked about scrapping Medicare, compared abortion to slavery, and tried to defend his frequent Nazi references.

But if we’re ranking the most ridiculous recommendations, Carson’s plans to “monitor” political speech on college campuses has to be near the top.

To briefly recap, the retired right-wing neurosurgeon argued last week that he doesn’t want to shut down the federal Department of Education; he’d prefer to turn it into an investigatory body in which it would “monitor our institutions of higher education for extreme political bias.” If a Carson administration decided it disapproved of the “extreme” political speech on a university campus, the school would lose its federal funding.

Weekends with Alex Witt, 10/25/15, 12:41 PM ET
Carson: Use Department of Education to monitor professors
On NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Chuck Todd tried to pin Carson down on this bizarre plan. The GOP candidate – currently, a top tier contender – insisted, “This is not just spouting off; I’ve thought about this.” What a relief.

CARSON: The way that works is you invite students at the universities to send in their complaints, and then you investigate. For instance, there was a university – I’m sure you’ve heard of the situation – where, you know, the professor told everybody, “Take out a piece of paper and write the name ‘Jesus’ on it. Put in on the floor and stomp on it.” And one student refused to do that and was disciplined severely. You know, he subsequently was able to be reinstated–

TODD: We’re not violating the First Amendment? How is what you’re advocating not a violation of the First Amendment?

CARSON: It’s not a violation of the First Amendment, because all I’m saying is taxpayer funding should not be used for propaganda. It shouldn’t be.

Reminded that Carson’s definition of “propaganda” might look like “free speech” to others, the Republican replied, in a bit of a non-sequitur, “Well, that’s why I said we’re going to have the students send in. And we will investigate.”

In other words, Ben Carson envisions a system in which students report professors to government authorities, who will launch investigations to determine whether the scholars’ lesson plans meet with a Republican administration’s speech standards. Schools that fall short will face punishment.

No, this doesn’t sound like an authoritarian approach to higher-education at all. Why do you ask?

What’s more, as we discussed last week, let’s also not forget that Carson, perhaps more than any other presidential hopeful, is preoccupied with “political correctness” and the “speech police.” That Carson doesn’t even try to reconcile his concerns about the “speech police” with his desire for federal investigations into professors’ lectures should probably surprise no one.

But what about the specific anecdote Carson mentioned? Surely, no one is going to defend the “stomp on Jesus” professor, right?

Before answering, consider the facts that Carson isn’t aware of. Right Wing Watch reported last week, “In reality, the professor, a ‘very religious’ Sunday school teacher, was using a lesson on the importance of symbols included in a textbook written by an instructor at a Christian college and reported a student who physically threatened him after the exercise.”

Oddly enough, the Republican presidential hopeful citing this anecdote doesn’t seem to know what he’s talking about.

Doctor Butts has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Oct 26, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Stop not having Smoothrich on ignore.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The USA currently has a taxes/GDP ratio of 0.27. If instead that ratio were 0.15, we would generate the same amount of revenue. I'm a gay brain doctor who never studied public finance or maths.

Can you imagine the malpractice lawsuits he would have faced if he had become an anesthesiologist instead?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ben Carson lies about who is lying all the time.

It's always Carson who is the liar

First let's get to what was asked, what he said:

quote:

At the Oct. 28 Republican presidential debate, hosted by CNBC in Boulder, Colo., moderator Carl Quintanilla asked Carson about his involvement with the company.

"This is a company called Mannatech, a maker of nutritional supplements, with which you had a 10-year relationship," Quintanilla said. "They offered claims they could cure autism, cancer. They paid $7 million to settle a deceptive marketing lawsuit in Texas, and yet your involvement continues. Why?"

"Well, that’s easy to answer: I didn’t have an involvement with them," replied Carson, a former pediatric neurosurgeon. "That is total propaganda. And this is what happens in our society -- total propaganda. I did a couple speeches for them. I did speeches for other people. They were paid speeches. It is absolutely absurd to say that I had any kind of relationship with them. Do I take the product? Yes. I think it’s a good product."

Well, that's bogus. The WSJ explains:

quote:

The company doctor “prescribed a regimen” of supplements, Mr. Carson told its sales associates in a 2004 speech. “Within about three weeks my symptoms went away, and I was really quite amazed,” he said to loud applause, according to a YouTube video of the event.

quote:

Mr. Carson appeared in videos posted on Mannatech’s website until last week, including two filmed in 2013 and styled like commercials. In a version of one, [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQSoHRwtwvIstill posted on YouTube[/url], he praised the company for “trying to find a way to restore the natural diet as a medicine, or as a mechanism for maintaining health.” The videos vanished from the company site shortly after inquiries from The Wall Street Journal.

Mr. Carson also has given four paid speeches at Mannatech gatherings, most recently one in 2013 for which he was paid $42,000, according to the company. It said the earlier speech payments went to a Carson-affiliated charity. It said Mr. Carson “has never been a paid endorser or spokesman” for the company.

quote:

Hudson Freeze, a Ph.D. researcher at the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute in La Jolla, Calif., who co-wrote a 2007 article critical of health claims made for Mannatech products, said Mr. Carson is careful in his public statements about the company, but they nonetheless “give the sense that his professional opinion as a physician is backing their claims.” Mr. Freeze called Mr. Carson’s involvement with the firm “borderline, if not over-the-line unethical.”

A Carson campaign aide disagreed, saying Mr. Carson “had a speaking engagement—he didn’t endorse the product.”

quote:

Mr. Carson, in a 2013 video that was on Mannatech’s website until last week, commended the company as a way for people to “improve their own financial situation.” He said: “It’s an incredible opportunity for anybody who really wants to be involved with doing something themselves, making a good living....”

Numerous associates, in social-media pitches, have cited Mr. Carson’s involvement. “Want to know all you can about MANNATECH Products endorsed and used by DR BEN CARSON, and the business opportunity?” said a Facebook posting by a Louisiana woman early this year.

“What a privilege to hear Dr. Ben Carson again in Dallas,” posted Julie K. McKerracher, an Idaho associate, after a 2011 Mannatech speech by him. “...what an amazing man whose life was dramatically benefited by Mannatech products.”

So the dude was compensated to endorse the products repeatedly, yet had no involvement with them? Bullshit.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ben Carson mused that Joseph (of Biblical fame) built the Pyramids to store grain

lol how the gently caress is this guy leading in polls posted:

At the 1998 commencement for Andrews University, a school associated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church, Carson also dismissed the notion that aliens were somehow involved in the construction of the pyramids.

“My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain,” Carson said. “Now all the archeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big if you stop and think about it. And I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time to store that much grain.”

Ben Carson, ladies and gentlemen.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

He's saying that he thinks the grain silos that Joseph supposedly built would have to be really huge, and that they would probably last a long time. Basically saying that the pyramids are grain silos.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Phlegmatist posted:

Carson's basically like a stealth socialist on health care.

Yea OK.

Everyone should know by now that what Carson says and what he says he means can be miles apart, and usually not revealed until he needs to accuse the media of misquoting him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So the children he kills will be thankful that Carson was merciful enough to bomb them?

• Locked thread