Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Well, if they were going to do something like this from the beginning Shimotsuki was a very good choice of vocalist.

e: there's an update on the last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is why Ragnarok is the best chapter.
It's not great gameplay-wise: in fact from that point it's the most dull end game of any chapter, but It's still great.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yuja. :smith:

At least this chapter went out with a bang.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Yeah... Whatever the game still has in store can't possibly hold up to this.

Revisiting the previous endgame maps does a good job of showing just how far you've come (though it also reminds you of how they were more exciting to actually play). It's also a good reminder of how adorable and badass the Yushia-Geezer team was.

Yashu is even back to his old role from the start of Judgement - the guy you actually fight while the enemy you care about is a dramatic cutscene.

As for what this chapter is parodying, there are two things that leap to the forefront:
First is modern games' increasing resemblance to movies. That's not a bad thing here, because it's a really good movie this time and the four main characters (counting the Dark Time goddess) are ones we all care about by now. And it helps support the message that "raw power and fighting don't always accomplish much."
Second is the Dark time Goddess' plan - she's ripping it off of a certain Final Fantasy character. It's easier to swallow here because we got to know her and her powers a long time ago - they didn't just show up to interrupt a conflict already in progress.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am talking about the arena.

In dungeons with Cozain in them, he makes an enemy blink a different color if your level is not too high.

Well, yeah, but I mean you can tough out those sections close to the time you unlock them even while going by that rule.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
No. 30... Coo... Thank you. For everything. :unsmith:

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

God drat this update. :smith:

Seriously, unless the Goddess is going to bring back Coo & 30, I don't care what she does. That final loving mission...

I need to go dry my eye. Somehow water got in them...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AweStriker posted:

Well, if they were going to do something like this from the beginning Shimotsuki was a very good choice of vocalist.

e: there's an update on the last page

Indeed, if they were going to go out with an Ar Tonelico as gently caress bang, they could afford to splurge on an Actual Ar Tonelico vocalist.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was gonna bring that up, I noticed Shimotsuki was involved somehow and wondered if she was supposed to be Coo's singer or something. I guess we have our answer :v:

That was cinematic. What the hell happens next, though?

edit: now I wanna listen to the Ar Tonelico OSTs again, drat it all

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 18, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

...I think I get it.

Yuja wasn't the descendant of the Hero in this chapter.

Coo was.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

That's an interesting theory. Unfortunately the game, or at least No. 30, calls Yushia Yuja's ancestor during the evil emperor sequence. Coo just happens to be a very powerful singer in a universe where singing the right song destroys the world. I could see both of them being descendants of the Hero though, after all I doubt every member of the lineage only had one child.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Well, that was a thing that just happened. In addition, I also saw Motoi Sakuraba and Yasunori Mitsuda on that credit list. I definitely didn't expect the game to come out and impress me just that much.

Guess this means I should really read Feinne's thread...

Edit: this sort of thing is clearly ideal; all the beautiful ar tonelico singing, half of the ridiculous plot, and none of the creepy fanservice.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 18, 2015

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
That was... actually stirring. I'm not sure how they pulled that off, but they did. drat!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

David Corbett posted:

creepy fanservice.

Well one DLC aside...

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well one DLC aside...

We don't talk about that and it didn't happen, no one can prove it did, I don't remember any creepy DLC does anyone else I don't think so shutupshutupshutupSHUTUPSHUTUP!!!!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lord_Magmar posted:

That's an interesting theory. Unfortunately the game, or at least No. 30, calls Yushia Yuja's ancestor during the evil emperor sequence. Coo just happens to be a very powerful singer in a universe where singing the right song destroys the world. I could see both of them being descendants of the Hero though, after all I doubt every member of the lineage only had one child.
So far, only one descendant has been born a Hero in each chapter. The first Hero did not make an appearance until GE 100.

That starting stage was a bitch to figure out. Not shown in the video is that you can get a sudden game over before and after talking to Yashu. I don't know the trigger for it, but it took several tries finding the success flag.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

So far, only one descendant has been born a Hero in each chapter. The first Hero did not make an appearance until GE 100.

That starting stage was a bitch to figure out. Not shown in the video is that you can get a sudden game over before and after talking to Yashu. I don't know the trigger for it, but it took several tries finding the success flag.

I believe the failure conditions for that quest is if you let Yashu interfere with the timelines. Which means you can't let your butt get kicked by him in Goddess Era 601 or 800. Taking too long to engage him in GE 601 also causes a time paradox. But after that, you should be in the clear until Goddess Era 800, so I dunno what could have happened there. Might have been a bug or something.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I can definitely say the game pretty much peaked at the end of Ragnarok but it's not so bad on the back end. It's fairly short, honestly!

R4: Ragnarok Title Roundup/Polsy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, that basket trap is exactly how the Time Goddess ended up getting killed in the first game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Lord is such a disappointing bonus character, especially when you've already gotten Asurako and Cozain. The main problem is he takes at least a solid three seconds before summoning anything, not counting the time it takes for said summons to actually reach an enemy. Of course since he just stays where he is and just lets summons do the work for him he's the only party member in the game that offers long-term sustained damage, in a game where random encounters take less than a single second and most bosses barely take two.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

a cartoon duck posted:

Of course since he just stays where he is and just lets summons do the work for him he's the only party member in the game that offers long-term sustained damage, in a game where random encounters take less than a single second and most bosses barely take two.

If Evil Lord were to expend the effort necessary for contributing in such short battles, he would break into a sweat, and sweating is not beautiful at all. :pseudo:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I can't believe there's MORE Half Minute Hero to enjoy. Ragnarok felt like a satisfying conclusion to this timestream malarkey.

I am definitely feeling the lack of special modes that subvert the gameplay, like the various Knight/Evil Lord/Princess modes from HMH1 (as I guess you pointed out near the beginning of the LP)

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I wonder what the final chapter is going to be about since all the 3 main heroes from the cover have been shown.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Gonna throw out a wild guess and say 'time fuckery'.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Iretep posted:

I wonder what the final chapter is going to be about since all the 3 main heroes from the cover have been shown.

Guessing some form of Live-a-Live Timestream Teamup between OG Hero, Yusha, Yushia, Yuja, and Yashu. The family that slays together stays together :black101:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 20, 2015

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Bellmaker posted:

Guessing some form of Live-a-Live Timestream Teamup between OG Hero, Yusha, Yushia, Yuja, and Yashu. The family that slays together stays together :black101:

So, the Y's Chronicles? :D

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Trying to get all the stuff from Sach's stage is bullshit.

An earlier post mentioned enemies you can't beat without some gimmick. Sach would be one of them as she can never be beaten until after the battle is over and she didn't even want to fight.
There have been two invincible giants we met way back where we got the goggles to see invisible objects at the beginning of the game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Bellmaker posted:

Anything that lets us give Yushia a chance to shine and possibly star in a DLC chapter would be wonderful.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's time for THE FINAL CHAPTER.

31: Pierce The Heavens!/Polsy

There's a lot to talk about here but my updates might be a bit delayed this week due to real life stuff. I'll try to keep on schedule! Also I seem to be missing a Hairo but I'm not sure where it is.

Also, I do plan on doing the demon maze but I'm trying to figure out how to wrangle it with the level bump it's going to take along with doing the titles. I'll figure something out. I'll have to, considering THE SUPER SECRET QUEST.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Apparently there's a Hairo that gets taken out of rotation if you progress too fast? I think it's something ridiculously early like smashing the boulder with Yuja that makes him unavailable so you basically have to grind early on if you wanna get all of them.

Also I love that Geezer becomes True Geezer instead of something Hero or whatever, and that Yushia's interpreting silent protagonist for the rest of the party.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The quest music is so weird....

I love it!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

It's time for THE FINAL CHAPTER.

31: Pierce The Heavens!/Polsy

There's a lot to talk about here but my updates might be a bit delayed this week due to real life stuff. I'll try to keep on schedule! Also I seem to be missing a Hairo but I'm not sure where it is.

Also, I do plan on doing the demon maze but I'm trying to figure out how to wrangle it with the level bump it's going to take along with doing the titles. I'll figure something out. I'll have to, considering THE SUPER SECRET QUEST.

Yeah, your Global Level is too low for some of the other quests. One of them expects you to start out at 60, and another expects you to start out at 99. Your best bet for grinding is fighting stuff in the Demon Maze, or chugging a lot of level uppers.

Hero did get to meet Sasha again. :unsmith:

If you want to know more about Sasha, just watch this video.

EDIT: Whoa, what happened to the video quality on Kaubocks' LP?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Now that we're there, I want to say I'm interested in hearing more from whoever did the music for this new area's missions. They only seem to have that one bit in the game, and Google isn't helpful.

edit: Now that i think about it, I was about 31 when I read the diary. It was fairly doable when I switched out for the heaviest equipment I had, though.

Cheez fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 21, 2015

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Every now and then it sound like some is speaking in the background of the music is it gibberish or are they actually saying something translatable,

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Dr. Fetus posted:

Apparently after The Great Blip Purge all of his youtube videos got stuck at 240p. Also I do get Sasha in the next video without any additional levels. How? :iiam:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

did you hold the dash button

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Incidentally, if you didn't wait for Geezer back in Revolution, he flat out dies and you can't get him as a party member until you get the Geezer title.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

cokerpilot posted:

Every now and then it sound like some is speaking in the background of the music is it gibberish or are they actually saying something translatable,
It sounds like an incantation for power through a sacrifice, hence the girl screaming to death. I love this music.

Way back when you fought Lamde, he summons monsters to protect him. He only summoned four that time instead of five.
Dealing with Sasha is why I only got 99% complete with that game.

There is a weapon you get with an ability that takes forever to learn, I would save training it on Sasha, who also knocked me off the map since she is so fast.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hero did get to meet Sasha again. :unsmith:

Seeing Sasha again has made this whole game worthwhile. And yeah, all the youtube videos from the last LP are unwatchable. You have to go to Archive.org's copies so they're at a better resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Does anything happen if you just roll over Yashu in the Hero Castle? Or the Hero-Eater Sword?

• Locked thread