Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

The new contest is here and ready to rock! It's late summer, if you're not a total goon you've probably been enjoying some time outdoors. Our theme this round is Nature. A category as vast and expansive as the Earth, the song you choose can be about anything found in the great outdoors. Wilderness, weather, whales, buttes, blue skies, birds, trees, tornadoes, tigers... There are so many possibilities!

Get hippy dippy and do an acoustic cover, give it your personal electronic touch, use only the sounds of sticks and a whistle made from a hollow reed; all cover styles are welcome. We've got to coexist after all.

If you need some inspiration, just go outside you dingus! This is a big category, find a song you like!

Deadline is October 1st.

quote:

What's Rockstar? How do I Rockstar?
The idea behind Rockstar is simple: you pick any song that fits the topic, then record a cover of it by the posted deadline. Once the deadline arrives, we get all the submissions together and make a poll/voting thread in GBS to determine the winner. The winner gets all the glory and gets to pick the next topic and post the next thread.

Who can participate?
Anyone, everyone. If you're willing to take the time to throw a song together, we're happy to have you.

Does it have to sound professional or anything?
Nope. You don't need fancy interfaces or access to a studio, just the ability to sit down and jam out a cover on whatever you got. Sure, production quality is good, but actually completing an entry is even better. So grab what you got and start laying down some tracks. There are plenty of resources in the Musicians Lounge if you need assistance with your setup or are having any technical issues.

Where should I host the music?
Soundcloud. Just make sure you allow people to download your music from Soundcloud, since some people like to load the music up on their iPod. Plus, that way, you don't need to worry about your internet connection when you're trying to make love to that special someone, or something, or KFC basket of Chicken Wings.

I really really really want to win. What's the secret?
First of all, settle down there chief. It ain't about winning. However, winning is simple, actually. Follow my three simple rules:
Pick a song that people have actually heard of. This isn't a time to establish your indie cred.
Switch up the genres in a funny way. Make a reggae version of a hard rock song. Do "Take the A Train" in the style of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". Please don't turn a rap song into a mellow acoustic ballad. Straight covers rarely win because lets face it, you're no David Cassidy, and I think you know it.
Get off your fat butt and actually record something. Don't wait until the deadline. Thinking about it won't make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Calling Riptide by Vance Joy.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Shining Star by Erf Wind and Fiya.

Though as always I'll probably gently caress around get frustrated and change my mind.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Calling Jacob's Ladder by Rush because I'm an enormous middle-aged nerd.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I'm picking Penelope by Pinback. It's a song about a goldfish.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Unless I think of something better, I'm in for Volcano by Jimmy Buffett!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Going to go with Meadowlarks by Fleet Foxes. Maybe mash in Blue Spotted Tail somehow.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Calling "Natural One" by the Folk Implosion for now.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm doing this. Here's a short clip. Gonna mix it later. I started out trying to do a Black Keys version but gently caress THAT NOISE THIS IS ROCK.
https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/still-of-the-night-bitches

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Finally got around to starting to record today. Deadline schmedline!

e:8/26 Writing entirely new drum parts is evil.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 27, 2015

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Got a very rough mix done. Still need to add to it, but I'm honestly surprised with how quickly it came together.

I done got done.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 29, 2015

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Just over two weeks until the deadline... How is everyone doing?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I'm tweaking the mix. And convincing my band that we need to add this cover to our rotation.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Got off to a really slow start but I've cleared some time in my schedule to focus on it. Trying some new tricks this time out. It's gonna be weird.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I've totally worked out how I'm going to record In The Still Of The Night. (Does that count as a nature song, still? Or are we looking for more literal approaches, like, trees and leaves and wind and poo poo like that?).

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

magnificent7 posted:

So I've totally worked out how I'm going to record In The Still Of The Night. (Does that count as a nature song, still? Or are we looking for more literal approaches, like, trees and leaves and wind and poo poo like that?).

Adherence to the theme has always been a bonus, not a strict requirement.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
As long as it has some mention of something about the Nature, that's fine. Kept the category broad hoping it would be easier for people to find something they like.

My Meadowlark/Blue Spotted Tail mash-up didn't work out like I had hoped, so I'm sticking to just Blue Spotted Tail. I'm pretty happy with how it sounds right now, going to leave it alone for a few days and see if I still like it.

Eleven days till the deadline! Unless there are only like two entries completed it would be great to finish on the actual deadline.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wife's out of town tonight, I think I'll work on a thrash cover of Joe Walsh's "Song For a Dying Planet".

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

When I first started making music, I had so little skill/knowledge and such crappy equipment that there was zero chance I'd ever get what I heard in my head down on tape. So I just gave it my best shot and called it good.

I've reached a point where when I finish a track it's around a 95% approximation of the track that I originally intended to produce (so if it's no good, it's mainly because my vision sucks, not necessarily my abilities). But I still have to work really hard to get to that point, and I would spend forever trying to get that final 5% down if I didn't have Rockstar deadlines forcing me to wrap it up.

At the moment my arrangement's only around 50% where I want it to be. Gonna do what I can to finalize it tonight and tomorrow, then do vocals over the weekend.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
:siren:Three days!:siren:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

AHHH WHY DID I PICK THIS SONG???

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Radiapathy posted:

AHHH WHY DID I PICK THIS SONG???

ditto

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

gently caress your tables.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 29, 2015

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Holy poo poo, I actually finished one for once.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Here's mine! Made a sort-of orchestral version of Blue Spotted Tail by Fleet Foxes.

https://soundcloud.com/koivunen/blue-spotted-tail-cover

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Haven't car tested yet, but I'm not gonna have any more time to work on it today:

Radiapathy: Penelope (Pinback cover)

Here's the original song, if you've never heard it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've been recovering from surgery so I haven't updated my track yet - give me this weekend and I'll submit another losing track for y'all.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

treasureplane posted:

Holy poo poo, I actually finished one for once.

Here are the entries so far. Still waiting on magnificent7, Hawklad, CaptainViolence, and COOL CORN.

Four entries makes a pretty small contest, so the deadline is extended to October 8th. I will be posting the contest late at night on the 8th.

Any thoughts on where it should go this time?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

GBS still seems like the place, if only for the number of eyes. Just need to make sure to turn our shitpost filters up full blast before reading the thread.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Updated the mix on mine. Same link. Lyrics in the metadata of the MP3.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Almost done with the final OCD mix.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Unless anyone else has any more input, the contest will be posted in GBS on October 8th, late at night. This leaves one more day to cram your jam.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
hey sorry... i am out. It's all your fault.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
My entry is almost done...give me about an hour and it'll be pure gold.

edit:

https://soundcloud.com/hawklad/jacobladder

GBS is gonna eat this poo poo up

Hawklad fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 9, 2015

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Okey dokey folkies, thread is posted!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745859

Good luck, all!

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
If we want views and votes we need to keep bumping the thread since it's not stickied.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Would it be possible to get the thread stickied?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I voted for myself.

Pissed I didn't just submit my crappy version of the cover. I mean, drat, then at least I'd get a B for effort.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Instead you got an F, mag7. Same grade I gave your mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I avoided looking at the voting thread all day, fearing the carnage. But it's more of a ghost town. I commented/voted.

• Locked thread