Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
obviously this is a huge problem help me convince her or at least offer me sympathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer pal

Every year Boise ranks on a slew of top 10 lists. The city has been placed among the best U.S. downtowns, the best city to raise a family, the healthiest, best place to retire, best place to be a doctor, a good spot for yogis and asthmatics, and yes -- Boise was even ranked among the top sexually active cities.

With all of these best-of lists, we wanted to find out what is really driving people to live in Boise. We also wanted to understand what sends them searching for something else.

A couple of weeks ago we started a Reddit thread to see how Boiseans would respond to the question "why do you live in Boise?" (For another perspective, this Redditor asked "what are the worst things about Boise"). There are 44 responses so far, and some interesting themes have emerged.

Here's our unscientific list of why people live in Boise:

Climate: Winter is mild, spring and fall exist, and summers aren't too hot (excluding the last two weeks).
It's relatively affordable: Several Redditors commented that Boise is cheaper than Portland or Seattle, but has some of the amenities of a larger city. That's true. Census data show the median cost of monthly rent in Ada County is $805. Compare that to Seattle, where the median monthly rent is $1,000. Plus, the cost of goods and services in Idaho is less expensive than half of U.S. states.
Lots to see and do: Boise has cultural attractions like the Basque Block, Ballet Idaho, Trey McIntyre Project, the symphony, the opera, and a couple of museums.
Access to recreation: Boise is minutes away from hiking and biking trails, rivers, streams, ski hills and mountains.
Safety: More than one Redditor mentioned Boise is a safe place to live. Idaho has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. In the West, only Utah's crime rate was lower according to data from the Idaho State Police Department.
It's home. For some, it's the only place they've ever lived. For others, it's become an adopted home.
Boise State University professor and author of Ethnic Landmarks: Ten Historic Places That Define the City of Trees Todd Shallat moved to Boise about 30 years ago. What attracted him to the area was the myth of the West.

"It's the myth of the empty," says Shallat. "We’re all from some place else – most of us came from places that had crowds. We envisioned [Boise] as a frontier. God’s unfinished construction project."

It's that ideal, that myth, says Shallat that helped Ada County go from about 95,000 people in 1960 to an estimated 410,000 today.

Shallat says Boise is good at providing a nostalgic idea of home, even if we aren't from here. He says most people are looking for that quintessential Norman Rockwell painting, or the Disneyland main street. "There are places in Boise where if you squint," says Shallat, "you can see it."

Still, Shallat is quick to point out why Boise isn't a good place to settle. High-paying jobs are scarce. As we've reported, Idaho has the largest share of minimum wage jobs in the country.

The average hourly wage in the Boise-metro area is a dollar higher than Idaho's average at $19.53. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data show half of the workers in the Boise area earn less than $15.15 an hour. In Seattle, for example, the average hourly wage is $26.87 and half of workers there earn less than $21.52 an hour.

Plus, Idaho's population boom that started in the late 1980s has come to a near stand-still. The state's population grew less than a percentage point last year while city population (including Boise) was up just 1 percent.

Redditor DorkothyParker wrote, “I think there is LOTS of room for improvement, but that is okay because changes are happening daily.”

Shallat agrees and says if you're inclined to get civically involved here, you can. “If you’re an activist who wants to make a difference you can have a huge impact in Boise.”

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
also for no reason my sig just disappeared

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill

HUSKY DILF posted:

also for no reason my sig just disappeared

nevermind there it is but what the gently caress

dogcrash truther
threaten your childs life #wifehack

beer pal

heres some photos i took of the beautiful boise, id https://www.google.ca/search?q=what...ICh21yQBU&dpr=1

Lil Cunty

Boise is a real pissheap your wife is smart and right

ty crap

ty landy

fuck. marry. t-rex

dogcrash truther posted:

threaten your childs life #wifehack

:megadeath:

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
that is really good beer pal i think i will erase the last part of your first post though

Lil Cunty

moving to idaho is like admitting that you will do absolutely nothing of note for the rest of your life

ty crap

ty landy

fuck. marry. t-rex

I Love A Flat Earth And Short Buildings.

beer pal

Lil Cunty posted:

moving to idaho is like admitting that you will do absolutely nothing of note for the rest of your life

good point... i love boise too

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
they would both pay me lots of money for not doing a lot of work and there is hiking and fishing and stuff in the outdoors that sounds v chill and i'm kinda tired of downtown chicago

beer pal

heres some interesting facts ive compiled about the lovely city of boise, id

Lil Cunty

when I think of my time in Boise I think of two things

1. Mormons

2. hate crimes

ty crap

ty landy

beer pal

yeah... sure... but you cant go wrong with mountain standard time

City of Glompton

i like Boise :)

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill

Lil Cunty posted:

when I think of my time in Boise I think of two things

1. Mormons

2. hate crimes

i had forgotten about the mormons maybe it was hate crimes against mormons

beer pal

boise, idaho. home of the great actor jeremy shada. He is an actor, known for Adventure Time (2010), Team America: World Police (2004) and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009). See full bio ». lets hear it for the 208 *woop woop*

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
obviously not letting me move to lubbock,tx is indefensible but my best friend just moved to waco so that means i don't have as much of a reason to go back

fuck. marry. t-rex

Wish I could move to Waco, Texas: famous home of all the best large scale DEA and ATF fiascos.

City of Glompton

"don't tell people how great boise is", we often say, because we don't want too many new arrivals. hd is cool though so im not going to lie-I'm sure Boise is better than Lubbock, TX.

Lil Cunty

HUSKY DILF posted:

i had forgotten about the mormons maybe it was hate crimes against mormons

no

ty crap

ty landy

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
more like lummox, tx

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
if you've lead a boring life, your soul is sent to idaho when you die. it's a land where it's always 2pm, september 28th

----------------

POWERBALL

by zen death robot
Come to Boise, home of the World's Strongest Mayor!

----------------

beer pal

POWERBALL posted:

Come to Boise, home of the World's Strongest Mayor!

ive heard that too, about the mayor

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Winters are not mild in Boise, wtf?

City of Glompton

pros-our mayor is strong, our mayor is probably able to toss a boulder or maybe a log

cons-the medical expenses of the mayor's office seem awfully high compared to the city average...

Nooner

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I would maybe try living in Boise, it might be a nice

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Boise is certainly better than lubbock texas, but both are poop-cities

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
i like how the wikipedia page for lubbock shows the city's skyline, because it has a lot of sky in it, all of which is probably way better than that town

edit: that giant hotel? it's actually the apartment building where everyone in the town lives

----------------

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
where would she like to move instead, dilf? this is as important as her refusal to live in either town

----------------

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

*googles lubbock, tx*

lovely

looks great!

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
lubbock isn't a town, it's a viral marketing campaign for the next mummy movie

----------------

dogcrash truther

Qwerinty posted:

lubbock isn't a town, it's a viral marketing campaign for the next mummy movie

hahahahahaaaa

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
Leave Texas like me

google THIS

both of those towns have amusing names so imo you can't lose

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

Pomp posted:

Leave Texas like me

this doesn't sound even remotely like lummock

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

*googles lubbock, tx*

lovely

looks great!

hard to put into a picture but also hereford texas is north of lubbock and when the wind blows from there the entire town smells like pig poo poo for a day cause thats where they take them before they put them on trains to be slaughtered

• Locked thread