Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I'm currently building my first pc; the monitor does not detect a signal from the video card when connected by DVI. The monitor does detect signal fine when connected to the motherboard by vga and I've successfully installed windows 7 and drivers (except for video card, which is "unrecognized"). When the motherboard is connected to the monitor by VGA, the video card's fan runs, so power is getting to it. This model video card has no ports to plug directly into the psu and I'm pretty sure it gets what it needs from the motherboard. When I turn on the computer with just the GPU connected to the monitor by DVI I just get a black screen with "no signal." The video card is running in the only PCIE slot that can fit it and I have tried many, many times taking it out and putting it back in again to make sure it is securely fit.

WhatI've tried:
-disabling the internal gpu in the BIOS (it was already set to try to use the PCIE slot).
-plugging the vga cord in to the mobo vga and the gpu using the DVI connector, which results in display through the vga but I cant switch source to the dvi connection.
-downloading the the driver off nvidia (with the card plugged in) but the download fails because it cant detect the gpu supported by the driver
-unplugging and replugging everything into the mobo

This is the first time setting up this computer.

CPU: Intel i3-4160
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4
GPU: EVGA GTX 750
Case: Cooler Master N200
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
RAM: Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MD316C81609L2
PSU: SeaSonic SS-300ET

United States

I have Googled and read the FAQ, and though others have had this issue it seems to be currently unresolved.

Nonexistence fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What monitor do you have? Please also link to the videocard you got, just telling us it's an EVGA GTX 750 isn't too useful for a problem like this.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Monitor: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-V193W-19-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B002C98QQ2
Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=3938566&SID=

Thanks

Edit: these images may be useful http://imgur.com/a/9XY7H

Nonexistence fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 19, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Edit: Oh just looked at your pics, the videocard doesn't look like it's fully inserted into the slot, I can see gold pins on the left side. Remove and reseat it. Also that looks like the wrong cable to the monitor? Thew model you linked is VGA only so I am expecting to see a DVI->VGA adapter on the card with a blue-ended VGA cable plugged into it.

Just to confirm, you have the videocard in the top PCI-E slot next to the CPU, right? There are two slots it can fit in, but it will only work in the upper slot. If so, remove and reseat the card. Also, you are using a VGA cable with a the DVI->VGA adapter that came with the videocard, right? If so, try a different adapter, but I think the card is just DOA if it's not even being identified when using the onboard graphics.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 19, 2015

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
That side cant physically go any further in without removing the metal bar on the side of the video card, and the card has a DVI port but no VGA port and did not come with an adapter, so it seems strange to me that it would be VGA only? Yes the video card is in the only PCI-E slot.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The problem is that you didn't install the card straight in the slot. You can see in this picture where the left side isn't fully inserted, in this pic you can see the right side is. Unscrew the card, slide it out, and re-insert it evenly, then screw it back in.

I meant that the monitor you linked is VGA only, so I am expecting that you have a VGA cable running to the monitor. You would then have the DVI->VGA adapter that came with the card plugged into the DVI port on the card to provide a VGA port to plug the monitor into.

Your motherboard does have a second PCI-E x16 slot at the bottom of the board that would fit the videocard. However, while being sized to fit large cards, it only has four PCI-E 2.0 lanes from the chipset on the motherboard, versus the 16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes from the CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Solved, the reason it couldnt be put in straight was because the metal bar on the side of the GPU prevented it from being pushed in that far. I loosened the screws on the mobo to get those sweet extra hundreds of millimeters from the other direction and now everything works great. Thanks for the help and attention!

• Locked thread