Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dlr
Jul 9, 2015

I'm fluid.
Try to be more objective than usual! Many people say Nethack is better because it generates more random maps, and people recommend others because of things like skill/luck ratio. Which do you think is the best, and why?

Also, is it possible to make either Nethack or Slashem look like Stone Soup, because DCSS is sexy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I guess Torchbearer? Objectively, it's pretty cool in how it handles looting.

I guess with Dungeon Crawl is good because you don't need a good GM.

Nethack like most games actively developed in the 90s is more than a little overburdened with rules quirks and complexity, modelling everything is really a foolhardy pursuit in RPGs.

Dec 26, 2012

Sil.

Admiral Crackbar
Jan 4, 2012

fez_machine posted:

I guess Torchbearer? Objectively, it's pretty cool in how it handles looting.

I got the book from the kickstarter. Lovely production values, but I never got around to actually trying the game, I guess I felt that so much focus just on dungeon delving was a bit limiting.

Other than that, I suppose I always like Brogue.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Zombi is basically a roguelike if you think about it

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Doom Roguelike, because it has an actual soundtrack

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Moria, bitches.

black children
Dec 14, 2009
Despite some questionable changes in the newest versions, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup remains the best roguelike of all time.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm a big TOME 4 guy, since I dig all the modern elements and class design.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Admiral Crackbar posted:

I got the book from the kickstarter. Lovely production values, but I never got around to actually trying the game, I guess I felt that so much focus just on dungeon delving was a bit limiting.

Other than that, I suppose I always like Brogue.

It is a game with a strong theme and sticks with it but i also think it's pretty good with roleplaying it all but forces you to have connections in the world in the form of parents and enemies i mean how many other games are there where you're likely to roll into your hometown and spend the week with your parents while they pester you about getting a real job instead of being a murder hobo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Etrian Odyssey

• Locked thread