Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hixalot posted:

Thanks to PSN played NBA 2k for a few times in a couple years, what a disappointment. Still the same over complicated, clunky, zero fun game it always was. It boggles the mind how a free flowing, fast paced game like basketball can be turned into a slog fest mess in the digital version.

Live 15 was great, haven't tried 16, guess it doesn't matter with the delay (possible cancellation?) for this coming year.

If EA can do it why does it mystify 2K?

The game you want is called NBA Street and it's pretty good. Unfortunately you need a PS2 or equivalent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I hope EA continues to make Live just for the guys that wander in here every six months to proclaim it the better basketball game.

Metapod posted:

What's funny is golden state is the living embodiment of 2k online

Two thirds of the guys I play online this year attempt like one shot from behind the arc per quarter.

Also I'd loving love an option where you can specify which teams you don't want to be matched up with. Playing nobody but the Warriors, Cavs, Rockets or Thunder for weeks at a time gets really old.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 12, 2016

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Hixalot posted:

Thanks to PSN played NBA 2k for a few times in a couple years, what a disappointment. Still the same over complicated, clunky, zero fun game it always was. It boggles the mind how a free flowing, fast paced game like basketball can be turned into a slog fest mess in the digital version.

Live 15 was great, haven't tried 16, guess it doesn't matter with the delay (possible cancellation?) for this coming year.

If EA can do it why does it mystify 2K?

I don't post in here because I'm terrible at this game, but lol at using NBA live as an example of anything besides what a loving mess EA sports games are. 2k has complicated controls because it has to try and emulate all the different things that a basketball player has to do with their body during a game; while also having to act as your own coach making adjustments and such on the fly. The game is awesome to play and incredibly intricate because the devs give a poo poo about their product, unlike EA.

NBA Jam on fire edition is now available on PSN

efb

Away all Goats posted:

The game you want is called NBA Street and it's pretty good. Unfortunately you need a PS2 or equivalent

Oberst fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 12, 2016

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I was semi-enjoying 2k16 but just noticed that the online play requires continually re-upping player contracts. What a dumb system; the last thing I want is stupid micromanaging. Please, get rid of all the bloat like halftime shows and whatever is creating insane load times for simple games.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I was semi-enjoying 2k16 but just noticed that the online play requires continually re-upping player contracts.
the what now?

edit: oh, do you mean the weird 3 vs 3 blacktop thing in the card game mode? You know there's a normal online mode, right?

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 14, 2016

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Illinois Smith posted:

the what now?

edit: oh, do you mean the weird 3 vs 3 blacktop thing in the card game mode? You know there's a normal online mode, right?

No? I mean the Road to the Playoffs or whatever. Under myTeam. All my players have "contracts" and you get contract re-ups in the packs you win that you have to spend to keep the players playing for you.

I liked the notion of starting with a garbage team of bronze 68 ranked dudes and slowly building from there.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Salvor_Hardin posted:

No? I mean the Road to the Playoffs or whatever. Under myTeam. All my players have "contracts" and you get contract re-ups in the packs you win that you have to spend to keep the players playing for you.

I liked the notion of starting with a garbage team of bronze 68 ranked dudes and slowly building from there.

You should be able to press X (square) on the lineup screen to apply contracts to your entire lineup at once to reduce the micromanagement aspect

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There are other online game modes too, myTeam is specific in that you build a team that has upkeep.

Totally agreed on a "stop wasting my time" option to remove fluff.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
What the gently caress is up with GM promises.

Eric Gordon comes in, upset he isn't getting enough minutes. (He's starting.) Whatever, I will give him more minutes. So now I have to give him more than 15 minutes even though right now he is at 28. This is a few weeks after Anthony Davis complained his training intensity was too low (it is very high and my team's overall intensity is very high). And that was a few weeks after Ajinca got pissed pissed because I promised to lower his intensity (I did) and he claims I didn't do it. Whatever, I promised to do it again, and I failed again even though I lowered it a second time.

Are the promises just broke as poo poo?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Lockback posted:

There are other online game modes too, myTeam is specific in that you build a team that has upkeep.
Thanks for this, I played through the first few rounds of "only bronze dudes and one silver" yesterday. It was hilarious to watch people flail around after playing the same 4 teams in regular online for months. My team of Ronnie Price / Sean Kilpatrick / Iggy / Larry Nance / Boban (with JaMychal Green at center for small lineups) loving destroyed.

Also holy poo poo, whenever you see a self-designed arena it looks like a suicidal clown threw up after a candy & vodka binge.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Illinois Smith posted:

Thanks for this, I played through the first few rounds of "only bronze dudes and one silver" yesterday. It was hilarious to watch people flail around after playing the same 4 teams in regular online for months. My team of Ronnie Price / Sean Kilpatrick / Iggy / Larry Nance / Boban (with JaMychal Green at center for small lineups) loving destroyed.

Also holy poo poo, whenever you see a self-designed arena it looks like a suicidal clown threw up after a candy & vodka binge.

Yeah, those arenas are the best :allears:

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Finally getting the hang of mycareer. Ever since getting drafted I've been playing like poo poo in the NBA but I finally figured out how to get a decent rating: just don't shoot. Pass it constantly and get assists.

Couple games of doing this and I'm the starting PG for the Rockets! Question though, what's the best way to level my player up quickly? I'm getting around 500 VC a game on pro. Should I max my quarter length?

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 17, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

zeldadude posted:

Finally getting the hang of mycareer. Ever since getting drafted I've been playing like poo poo in the NBA but I finally figured out how to get a decent rating: just don't shoot. Pass it constantly and get assists.

Couple games of doing this and I'm the starting PG for the Rockets! Question though, what's the best way to level my player up quickly? I'm getting around 500 VC a game on pro. Should I max my quarter length?

IIRC you want to max the difficulty as much as your sanity can take. Then max the quarter length and play until halftime and hope one team has a 10 pt advantage so you can sim through the rest of the game while still earning VC.

If you want Free VC you can use their mobile app for a daily bonus, and also watch the 2k TV episodes which has trivia questions.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

zeldadude posted:

I haven't looked, but the Android app gives lots of VC for like 2 minutes of looking at it a day. It's a good way to give your myCareer a nice tailwind.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

zeldadude posted:

I'm getting around 500 VC a game on pro. Should I max my quarter length?
Quarter length lets you earn more during the game, difficulty raises the multiplier at the end of the game.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I have found that the easiest way to get VC early in in your career when your stats are poo poo is to play at Hall of Fame difficulty, go in your first FA to the Knicks (who are terrible enough that you will get good playing time with them) and when in possession just constantly run pick and roll with Carmelo and rack up tons of assists, then when you're off the ball set screens for Carmelo wherever he is on the floor.

Unfortunately it does mean you have to play for the Knicks.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
As long as I can stop missing lay ups every single time I'll be happy. Thanks for the tips guys, it's been working pretty well so far!

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted
Anyone want to play some mypark on PS4? I've got a big honkin center and he's ready to party. DocBonestron is the name.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

After spending more time with this I really wish I would've played this when the game came out. The first few rounds up until your team is restricted to three gold players is genuinely enjoyable (especially if, like me, you've been mostly playing normal online for the last few years) and puts you against some interesting weirdo teams, even if a lot of them end up pretty similar Then you hit the unrestricted level and suddenly you'll never encounter a team with anything lower than all amethyst players ever again.

edit: I posted that before actually checking how much the amethyst cards go for in auctions. Didn't know the market was so saturated you can buy a Durant one for the price of two packs of cards.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 21, 2016

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The game desperately needs a tutorial for people new to the series. There was a good one a few years ago apparently but now it's a few players telling you things that you may or may not know how to execute without covering a lot of basics.

I don't really know about how well it simulates basketball -- pretty well, although I know people complain that the player models are too big and the court gets too crowded, especially in Pro-AM. At the same time as a video game it can be really satisfying to play in on-line play.

With 2K trying to turn this into an esport, the good news means hopefully more balance patches and more cheat detection, both the series desperately needs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dreylad posted:

The game desperately needs a tutorial for people new to the series. There was a good one a few years ago apparently but now it's a few players telling you things that you may or may not know how to execute without covering a lot of basics.

I don't really know about how well it simulates basketball -- pretty well, although I know people complain that the player models are too big and the court gets too crowded, especially in Pro-AM. At the same time as a video game it can be really satisfying to play in on-line play.

With 2K trying to turn this into an esport, the good news means hopefully more balance patches and more cheat detection, both the series desperately needs.

Yeah I had to watch a ton of videos, I've probably never worked harder to learn how to play a game but it paid off and now I have a ton of fun.

What's the difference between arcade and simulation and how much of a difficulty bump is it?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Simulation is more realistic

Arcade is you want to gently caress around and do a bunch of ridiculousness for fun

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm I do like shooting 65% from the field for the whole playoffs though.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
How is this game's franchise mode? I'm looking to get this game on the summer sale and basically wondering if it alone is worth $12 bucks

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

It's good if you don't sabotage the game by baiting the AI into retarded trades.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Man the microwave badge sure is a bitch to get. It would help so much if I could see my progress towards it somewhere, like how many games in a row I've been on fire.

Any tips for getting this badge as a PG? I'm playing on rookie casual just to get this loving thing but every time I'm heating up about to be on fire they call a time out and welp, not on fire anymore. Very frustrating.

I also feel like I really hosed up making my character 6'3" after playing some mypark yesterday. Seems like outside centers are very popular, maybe I should've gone that route :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CraigK posted:

How is this game's franchise mode? I'm looking to get this game on the summer sale and basically wondering if it alone is worth $12 bucks

Its real good. I think the myGM mode isn't as good as myLeague though.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I bought it, and the MyGM mode is indeed fun, but one question:

help

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I think whether a player thinks training is too hard or soft is influenced by stamina and how many minutes they play in the actual games and maybe also the kind of coaches you have on staff? You can adjust individual training regimens for players and also specify the things you want them to work on.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Illinois Smith posted:

I think whether a player thinks training is too hard or soft is influenced by stamina and how many minutes they play in the actual games and maybe also the kind of coaches you have on staff? You can adjust individual training regimens for players and also specify the things you want them to work on.

Ooh I missed that option and I assume that would solve the problem, thanks

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
MyGM is objectively good but virtually unplayable solely because of those player and coach meetings. Why do I have to stop simming to adjust my game plan every game? Why are my players such whiny bitches when it comes to practices? Where's that guy that posts here that works for 2k because I'd love for him to explain which dipshit thought any of that would be a fun experience for the gamer.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, it's good in theory but I haven't made it through a whole season in that mode for the last few games.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Illinois Smith posted:

It's good if you don't sabotage the game by baiting the AI into retarded trades.

How do I do this, I am appalling at these modes

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

If you don't give a poo poo about team chemistry it's pretty easy (or at least it used to be, I haven't played myGM much this year) to just keep trading role players for picks, then before the All-Star break you trade a bunch of picks for one or more of the shittiest teams' pick. The "search for trades" option is super useful for this but you can also just keep fiddling with random trades.

Basically just keep checking for what the AI will give you for your role players / bench warmers / unhappy players every few games and you'll amass a shitload of picks in no time, unless they fixed the AI this year (they probably haven't).

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 27, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Traded Mirotic Shumpert and some picks for Karl Anthony Towns :allears:

My fantasy draft GM team is DAR, Devin Booker, Andrew Wiggins, Kristaps Porzingis, and Karl Anthony Towns.

Essentially exploit the gently caress out of potential and youth.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

CraigK posted:

I bought it, and the MyGM mode is indeed fun, but one question:

help

This is exactly the reason why I stopped playing MyGM. Half the team feels overworked and the other half feels underworked so you end up with half the players angry no matter what.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
One of two things.

Either tell them that you think it's for the best. Or tell them we are trying to take care of you guys. it's a minimal loss that is easily fixed hrough play.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 27, 2016

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Started a new MyGM game and the computer did me a huge favor. A few games into the first season they offered me a trade of Kristaps and some scrap person for CJ McCollum. I took it and then proceeded to trade off a few extra pieces. Ended up in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Went after Demar Derozan in the off season and now my starting 5 is:
Lillard
Derozan
Aminu
Porzingis
Ed Davis

Jordan Clarkson, Allen Crabbe, Evan Turner, and Plumlee are the main backups. Blazers are suddenly looking real strong.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Dexo posted:

Essentially exploit the gently caress out of potential and youth.
Yeah, this. If it's not a five-star trade value player the AI is way too eager to give anyone up for someone rated a few points higher. Or a package of role players and picks.

Also with the training options where you can make players work on whatever you want it's pretty easy to transform young guys as long they have a high potential rating (and you have some patience).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

One of two things.

Either tell them that you think it's for the best. Or tell them we are trying to take care of you guys. it's a minimal loss that is easily fixed hrough play.

Or they could take the dumb poo poo out of the game so the user isn't annoyed while playing. As cool as being able to relocate a team is (although is broken and dumb as gently caress too) I'll gladly trade a feature like that just to have the sim run smoothly and quickly. If you want to have a version of MyGM that is painstaking and day by day, that's fine and I would totally be into that, but I would also like the option to fly through full seasons.

• Locked thread