Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Is MyPark still 95% dudes never ever passing, walking back and forth between two spots and jacking terrible 3s all day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I've only played 4 online games so far but goddamnit, so many dumb turnovers due to the new passing buttons.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Tae posted:

Is it because the other moves are just more fun?
They fixed normal online play (unless in six months all the chumps have bought their way into the upper leagues). As someone who mostly plays random online matches it's nice that they upped the finishing slider from 2K15 too. Stamina seems really high for most guys to where you don't even have to sub out much but I think that changes each time you move up.

My only real complaint is that you can't see what the other guy is prepping anymore, including jersey choices. Landing in a game where both guys wear black alternates is dumb.

The Kings are pretty good if you want to move up quickly, I've run people off the court the last 3 games with Collison / Belinelli / McLemore / Gay / Boogie and you get a bonus win / cash if you beat the better teams.

Still loving up so many fast breaks and post-ups.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Why Trailblazers, you'd like to trade me Old Man Sabonis for Mo Speights? Sounds good to me!

He owns in this and I'm glad to finally have him in my video games.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 30, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

the_american_dream posted:

Is there a way to check player fatigue on the fly? I cant find it under controls
Press down for subs and there's a stamina column.

the_american_dream posted:

edit I SWEAR TO GOD I CAN NOT DRIVE PAST ANY DEFENDERS OR MAKE JUMP SHOTS THIS YEAR
Yeah, it's weird. Like all the stuff that is hardwired into my brain about shaking off defenders is suddenly useless.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Is there anything I have to turn off so Klay Thompson doesn't get matched up against Lebron, Durant or Tony Parker every time, even if I specify who guards who at the start of the game? It's hella annoying.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, but I still want Iggy on Lebron or Durant, and that's like 90% of the teams you play online.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Lockback posted:

in defensive matchups you can name a player who gets preference. Is that what you want?
No, before the game I specifically put in that Lebron's guarded by Iggy and the game still puts Klay on him. With some teams it automatically switches him on the PG too, like against SA he always guards Parker no matter what I do.

I figured it was some new feature that handles matchups for your best defenders or something.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 5, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I think that was it, thanks.

My new online team is the Pistons, they're tier 3 but Reggie Jackson is a goddamn monster in this game. Does anyone know when you start unlocking classic teams? I'm on Junior College right now.

Also just played my first game this year against a guy whose strategy was bombing 60% of his shots from behind the arc. That was sad. I guess changing the online sliders to superstar sim was meant to weed out these guys but 2K went way overboard.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 6, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Oh no, he made about two of them.

There were tons of guys online doing Steph Curry impressions the last two years but this year 3-pointers are way harder and finishing at the rim is way easier.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Arcella posted:

This is where I am, I feel like it's 50% I'm not great at the game, and the other 50%, I dunno, feels like the other team does fast breaks and other plays and my guys just stand around and get guarded, even with auto playcalling on.
gently caress auto playcalls. Run lots of pick& rolls. Press left on the d-pad for less complex stuff than the play calls (quick iso especially but post-up and telling a specific guy to get open / cut to the rim is also useful). Run more pick & rolls. Holding triangle will make a specific guy cut to the rim this year, holding circle makes someone come to you for a handoff. Drive and kick like a mofo. Keep the ball moving. RUN ALL THE PICK & ROLLS

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 8, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

How do you unlock classic teams for online mode? I've encountered both the Iverson 76ers and the 80s Lakers so far and they're ridiculous to play against.

edit: Oh, I made it up to NBA (7th tier, I think) and there they all are. This is awesome, I've waited for this since I started playing in 2012.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 4, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Man, the post-patch spin move is the worst. I was slicing defenses up left and right with that thing before, now I get the stumble / off-balance animation 9 out of 10 times.

Also the new stamina drain in online play is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure some NBA players are capable of playing a whole quarter without needing an oxygen tent.

At least they fixed the jersey colors selection so I don't have to play games between the same teams wearing the same colours anymore.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I only started playing mypark a few days ago, did they change the way levelling up works? I can't get past the first shirt rep. I thought it was all teammate grade based but then it takes away from the slider even though I got a B+ or whatever.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

You know what sucks about the new "get more points if you beat the Warriors with the Timberwolves or whatever" thing in online play? Every time I actually do manage to beat a good team with a lovely team, said team quits before it's over and I don't get the bonus. Every, single, time. Bunch of loving babies.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

tadashi posted:

I have a dumb question about roster updates since I usually don't play sports games on release: as the roster updates happen, do they overwrite the player skills for the start of new seasons, too? If player x's shot is off this season or they're just not moving the ball they way they did last year but they're normally pretty good at these things, how bad would that hurt their ratings normally?
It depends, but if you're that concerned about specific guys just edit their stats before you start your season, then use that edited roster.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I still don't get why they don't just let you play online with myTeams.

Besides the bullshit 3vs3 games I mean.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 13, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Playing against people whose only trick is trying to bait you into shooting fouls with weird timing and pump fakes is my favorite thing in the world. I am fuelled by their ragequit tears.

Also I finally made it to GOAT tier in online play and the amount of guys you meet in the upper tiers who still haven't discovered that there's an intentional foul button is hilarious.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Controlling a player off the ball is good when you're playing someone online who only dribbles down the court and tries to drive on you non-stop. Also when someone stops at the top of the key and stands still for five seconds while they're waiting for the play they just entered to progress.

Otherwise, stick with on-ball defense for now and try to get the hang of it, get used to switching between crowding someone with L2, using right stick to contest and anticipating where they'll go next with normal movement or little turbo bursts. Don't bite on pump fakes.

Also you have to hold R2 for dunks and it's not an automatic thing if you don't have a free path to the basket.

Seltzer posted:

Most people want the players with the highest speed and three stats and forget about the rest. My last piece of advice is switch to the 2k cam right now in game. It's another thing you want to get used to early it makes offense and defense much easier and I don't think anyone good at the game uses the standard camera.
I play with standard side cam and am up to GOAT in online play, I guess I'm just more used to it from watching games.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Just don't play story mode for the first two weeks or so then? If you stick to anything that isn't myteam (which has its own currency), getting enough cash to make your player at least decent when he comes out of college doesn't take that long.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 14, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

also you can call for help / double with L1

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

My offense is also hot garbage. The only points I can make are threes, because that's just timing. I try and rush, I get locked down. I try and pass, even to someone wide open, AI dives in and intercepts.
- run pick & rolls (L1 + hold the button of the guy you want to set the pick)
- hold square + direction of the guy you want to cut without the ball, release button to pass
- similarly, hold circle to have someone get the ball from you

Just keep the ball moving and you'll get an open shot eventually. If you hold it a lot your other guys won't move much, if you keep it moving you'll notice more people doing cuts and stuff on their own.

If you have good wing / big passers go for quick outlets (like from inbounds to half-court) and rush it in transition, this should be pretty foolproof on rookie.

d-pad left has four standard quick plays (tell a shooter to get open, tell someone to cut, post someone up or call a quick iso for whoever's handling the ball). These probably won't be that useful to you right now but are worth checking out eventually.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Also am I completely misremembering this or was it possible in earlier editions to have a big man who was fast or shot 3’s by drilling points into the one area? Because I can only seem to get to a max speed of about 70 but there are big guys in the 80’s.
The more you keep playing with a guy the higher you can go with your attributes.

jabro posted:

Sure. I'll start! It comes out in five months. I hope they take all the bad things of 2K16 and make them good.
Is there any way this won't be like the MJ / Lebron ones but with Kobe?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Oh, weird. I never play much MyPlayer.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The thing I really miss in online versus is being able to taunt other people with instant replays of sick dunks or blocks.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Dutchy posted:

Does anyone else have a problem in this game with coaches not subbing out injured players? Like Deron Williams just hyperextended his shoulder, out for a month, but I have to manually make sure he doesn't get put back in every timeout, and I can't find anything mentioning this from googling so I don't know if it's a known common glitch or what
Turn off autosubs. There are different injuries (ones that the player is really out for and ones he can play through with a chance of making it worse), the coach has obviously decided that Williams should tough it out.

Also turn off AI coach adjustments if you don't want the coach to constantly gently caress with your matchups.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

That's adorable. "This franchise needs to make money SOMEHOW, so we're gonna check whether anyone wants to play a dumbed-down version on their phone first. Don't worry, we'll deliver another console game everyone makes fun of after that's released."

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 11, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Oh and it's really lame that I can't look at my stats when an opponent rage quits.
This, also let me force opponents to watch replays of sick blocks again to get them ragequitting faster.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

hey online players, I'd sure love to play any other team than the Dubs or Cavs again at some point.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Start from this post on the last page, there were a handful of pretty good newbie posts the last time it came up
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737485&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post457466177

Otherwise just ask about specific things.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 9, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

If it's just the update and the icon isn't spinning anymore I usually just restart the game, it freezes up for me nearly every time.

The initial install takes ages though, yeah.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Hixalot posted:

Do yourself a favor and watch Game 5 Monday, and then fire up NBA 2k16.
lool thanks I'm sure nobody in here ever actually watches basketball esecially during the finals

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I hope EA continues to make Live just for the guys that wander in here every six months to proclaim it the better basketball game.

Metapod posted:

What's funny is golden state is the living embodiment of 2k online

Two thirds of the guys I play online this year attempt like one shot from behind the arc per quarter.

Also I'd loving love an option where you can specify which teams you don't want to be matched up with. Playing nobody but the Warriors, Cavs, Rockets or Thunder for weeks at a time gets really old.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 12, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I was semi-enjoying 2k16 but just noticed that the online play requires continually re-upping player contracts.
the what now?

edit: oh, do you mean the weird 3 vs 3 blacktop thing in the card game mode? You know there's a normal online mode, right?

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 14, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Lockback posted:

There are other online game modes too, myTeam is specific in that you build a team that has upkeep.
Thanks for this, I played through the first few rounds of "only bronze dudes and one silver" yesterday. It was hilarious to watch people flail around after playing the same 4 teams in regular online for months. My team of Ronnie Price / Sean Kilpatrick / Iggy / Larry Nance / Boban (with JaMychal Green at center for small lineups) loving destroyed.

Also holy poo poo, whenever you see a self-designed arena it looks like a suicidal clown threw up after a candy & vodka binge.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

zeldadude posted:

I'm getting around 500 VC a game on pro. Should I max my quarter length?
Quarter length lets you earn more during the game, difficulty raises the multiplier at the end of the game.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

Thanks for this, I played through the first few rounds of "only bronze dudes and one silver" yesterday. It was hilarious to watch people flail around after playing the same 4 teams in regular online for months. My team of Ronnie Price / Sean Kilpatrick / Iggy / Larry Nance / Boban (with JaMychal Green at center for small lineups) loving destroyed.

Also holy poo poo, whenever you see a self-designed arena it looks like a suicidal clown threw up after a candy & vodka binge.
After spending more time with this I really wish I would've played this when the game came out. The first few rounds up until your team is restricted to three gold players is genuinely enjoyable (especially if, like me, you've been mostly playing normal online for the last few years) and puts you against some interesting weirdo teams, even if a lot of them end up pretty similar Then you hit the unrestricted level and suddenly you'll never encounter a team with anything lower than all amethyst players ever again.

edit: I posted that before actually checking how much the amethyst cards go for in auctions. Didn't know the market was so saturated you can buy a Durant one for the price of two packs of cards.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 21, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

It's good if you don't sabotage the game by baiting the AI into retarded trades.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I think whether a player thinks training is too hard or soft is influenced by stamina and how many minutes they play in the actual games and maybe also the kind of coaches you have on staff? You can adjust individual training regimens for players and also specify the things you want them to work on.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, it's good in theory but I haven't made it through a whole season in that mode for the last few games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

If you don't give a poo poo about team chemistry it's pretty easy (or at least it used to be, I haven't played myGM much this year) to just keep trading role players for picks, then before the All-Star break you trade a bunch of picks for one or more of the shittiest teams' pick. The "search for trades" option is super useful for this but you can also just keep fiddling with random trades.

Basically just keep checking for what the AI will give you for your role players / bench warmers / unhappy players every few games and you'll amass a shitload of picks in no time, unless they fixed the AI this year (they probably haven't).

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 27, 2016

• Locked thread